closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which watch for backpacking around the world?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    In seriousness I suggest a Rolex Explorer 1.

Be daring.
    Explorer II also works ;)

My view is that if I’m not comfortable wearing it somewhere then I probably wouldn’t/shouldn’t be in that place anyway.

Craftsman
    Went backpacking for several months a couple of years ago, took 2 watches: an SKX009 and a cheap G-shock. Both served me well. My travel companion took a Seiko kinetic, which worked great too.

Craftsman
    It would be stolen somewhere between India and Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Re-reading this. In seriousness I suggest a Rolex Explorer 1. It would be under the radar, knowing it had travelled around the world with you would add to its charm in years to come. Get it scratched a little / lived in a little. It has one of the sturdiest mechanical movements on the market and the watch can take anything you throw at it. Not your ceramic bling Rolex and design not quintessential would make it less known to theaving scrotes.

What at do you think?

Be daring.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Went backpacking for several months a couple of years ago, took 2 watches: an SKX009 and a cheap G-shock. Both served me well. My travel companion took a Seiko kinetic, which worked great too.
    Damn right.

Seriously, I can't believe what consistently poor opinion is being toshed out on this forum in the name of advice, however well intentioned it may be. There can be only one reasonable solution to this problem, and the more you think of it, the more it makes sense. Let us know how you get on OP.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    What makes you think it's poor opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Seriously, I can't believe what consistently poor opinion is being toshed out on this forum in the name of advice, however well intentioned it may be. There can be only one reasonable solution to this problem, and the more you think of it, the more it makes sense. Let us know how you get on OP.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 6th December 2018 at 06:04.

Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    So I am going backpacking next year (for a year) and looking to pick up a watch to wear for my travels. This will be the full backpacking experience in hostels and trekking etc.

I have bought/sold a number watches recently that just didn't fit the bill (Rolex Sub / Nomos Tangente Automatic / Junghans Max Bill Automatic).

Criteria is:

- Nothing too flashy (as I will be in some poor areas and don't want to attract too much attention)
    - Good timekeeping
    - Simple design with legible markers for time
    - Can be date or no date
    - Manual or automatic
    - Around 38mm case (small wrists unfortunately!)

Possible options that I have been looking at are:

- Seiko SKX013

- Sinn 556i

- Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical

Any preference on the above or suggested watches not listed?

Thanks for any help....
    That was it about each of these three that drew you to them?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    That was it about each of these three that drew you to them?

Cheap (well excluding the Sinn I suppose) and the fact they are in the simple tool watch style.

Also they are all around 40mm which are ok for my slender wrists....

I also really like the simple style watches with sweeping seconds hand and these all have this type of movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get a 5610 and be done with it.

Sounds like fun though, you travelling solo or going with friend, partner etc ?

Cheap (well excluding the Sinn I suppose) and the fact they are in the simple tool watch style.

Also they are all around 40mm which are ok for my slender wrists....

I also really like the simple style watches with sweeping seconds hand and these all have this type of movement.

I really like the smiley face ones

Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    What makes you think it's poor opinion?
    Stuff like this, perhaps?

It would be stolen somewhere between India and Australia.
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    I got Myself a cheap MWC quartz off eBay to take abroad.Decided if I was mugged they could have it .Did the job was cheap and actually I quite got to like it as a beater lol

Craftsman
    I can only guess from the fact you're thinking about which watch to take you've no idea what to expect. Also will you really be backpacking? Staying in hostels with 10 other sweaty men in a room of bunks?

Having travelled for 18 months many years before smart phones and google to take you around effortlessly if you had a half decent towel it went missing.

I bought this in '95. It never attracted the wrong attention and it still works perfectly well 23 years later. I find G-shocks to thick under long sleeves making your wrist hurt.

If you are truly backpacking take a cheap reliable waterproof quartz or a cheapo digital with an alarm as it's all you'll ever need. You want to blend in not stand out.

ps. something with a date is handy because after a while you won't know what day of the week it is.

I would suggest a PRS-82 from the boss, but I don't want him to run out of stock before I've bought mine...

A little too large, maybe.

Master
    I'd pick up my gw-6900 without a second thought as you'd never have to worry what you were doing with it on. I'd probably pack a spare strap just in case though which makes me think I might take my DA47 and a spare perlon as pretty sure it would come back looking like new.
    I'd like the alarm function of the gshock though so think it would win if I didn't take two!

Buying one en-route is a decent shout too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Stuff like this, perhaps?

R
    Sorry Ralphy i thought I was asking someone else that question.

Clearly your experience was different from mine, but maybe you stayed in nicer venues than me? If i had been wearing a Rolex in some of the places i visited it would most probably have been nicked, and if i had an issue with the person who was in the act of nicking it, i probably would have been killed.

But as you're a Grand Master on a watch forum you're clearly way more experienced than me with watches, and most probably life in general.

Last edited by WillHarris2306; 6th December 2018 at 20:18.

Get a cheap Casio from Argos, and take that (only)

If anything happens to it - you can just get another locally, probably cheaper.

You’ll have a mobile phone as backup anyway.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Yep, good advice. And the reality is it would be way more useful / practical than a high end mechanical watch with no need to charge / wind, plus an alarm function. Plus way more accurate when you risk missing trains / planes / boats that will leave without you if you're 15 mins late.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 6th December 2018 at 10:50.

Master
    Disclaimer: Im not being saarcastic!

Several Options:

LUXE: Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167 (Robust, thin, and actually far more discreet than most Rolex).

Mid-End: 2nd Hand Omega Seamaster/Breitling Aerospace Evo/

Lower-End but still fun: Hamilton Khaki-Diver/Seiko turtle

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Is the correct answer.

I'm amazed no one has suggested the F91W. Time, date, backlight and alarm - all you will ever need.

Which watch for backpacking around the world?

of the three two have sapphire and one mineral crystal, so there might be more adventure stories with the latter if it gets scratched. The Hamilton is probably only shower proof, so if you want to go swimming or try underwater photography, perhaps something rated a little deeper (+200m?). Less people may know Sinn, so perhaps more under the radar. If your watch gets taken or if for a good cause or the right memory, you give it away/swap a lower value price might be preferred, perhaps to leave funds for a replacement or a nice strap.

Craftsman
    When i was overseas travelling i did loads of diving, including Advanced Padi training, which is a common pursuit in the far east as it's so accessible and cheap. I ending up ditching my G Shock (actually i think i gave it to a mate) and just bought a dive computer, which also tells the time so killed two birds with one stone.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 6th December 2018 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Is the correct answer.

I'm amazed no one has suggested the F91W. Time, date, backlight and alarm - all you will ever need.
    Good advice. i was thinking the same fractures plus some water resistance (?200m). Given my phone always runs out of power going to and from work. i appreciate, keeping it powered up on the road might become a dash between power sockets. Having a reliable back up alarm so that you get to the airport has always paid off. i always lost track of the time zones so something that sorts out that automatically. one final thought , i was always calling home at the wrong time (middle of the night) so may be a second time zone feature although the mobile phone you are calling on could take care of that.

Last edited by timc; 6th December 2018 at 09:29.

Master
    At least no-one would want to steal it

why not just hit the road, buy a new watch in each country and post the one from the last country home. with the right frame and all those watches, there is the making of a nice piece of bespoke art.

Master
    What about an issued Seiko Gen1 or Gen2?

Legible
    Under the rader as it's 'just' a Seiko
    Date
    Chronograph
    Not too big
    Not overly expensive

Sorry Ralphy i thought I was asking someone else that question.
    You were asking someone else and I was making the point that "It would be stolen somewhere between India and Australia." is also an example of poor opinion, even if you had experienced it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

why not just hit the road, buy a new watch in each country and post the one from the last country home. with the right frame and all those watches, there is the making of a nice piece of bespoke art.

a lot more photo opportunities, a lot more to write about, a lot more stories

Master
    To answer the OP's original question travelling for any length of time through multiple countries the most useful complication will be a travelers GMT, this limits you to brands like Rolex, Seiko, Omega, etc.

if you are flash packing (have some money but want to move around lots but will probably keep to the nicer areas and stay in decent hotels) then the obvious choice is an explorer 2 (if you can get one) or one of omegas GMT models. Seiko also do a spring drive GMT (which would be my choice as it has the under the radar 'Seiko' brand if you decide to slum it for a bit, is fiercely accurate and a thing of beauty).

if you are going 'full hostel' then Seiko again do a kinetic travelers GMT and the new Alpiner Startimer Heritage GMT looks rather nice although maybe a bit pricey but looks very unassuming. Citizen probably do an ecodrive GMT, citizen was my choice when I went travelling (although mine had no GMT functionality as I did not know such witchcraft existed), as I just wanted a reliable, decent looking watch that would 'just work' without having to worry about winding and batteries.

a lot more photo opportunities, a lot more to write about, a lot more stories

sorry. i was not listening, this is not the right idea. you prefer one watch. sorry.

The seiko solar divers are really quite nice. first thing google found was : https://www.watchnation.com/product/...SABEgJBK_D_BwE

Yes nice, but 44mm. For puny wrists this may be just a bit too much...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    You were asking someone else and I was making the point that "It would be stolen somewhere between India and Australia." is also an example of poor opinion, even if you had experienced it.

R
    Isn't that just your opinion though?

Anyway thanks for the heads up Ralphy, it won't happen again i promise.

Best,

W
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 6th December 2018 at 10:56.

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Yes nice, but 44mm. For puny wrists this may be just a bit too much...
    ok fair enough

Journeyman
    Personally, having back packed and stayed in hostels, I wouldn't take anything that I didn't mind being stolen, lost or damaged. Worrying about about 'stuff' will just spoil the trip. But each to their own.

Master
    Bit puzzled about this; surely you just choose a good, low-cost watch. Casio, Citizen, Seiko, whatever. Around £100 is fine. Why spend more? One less thing to worry about. Nothing to attract attention.

Craftsman
    I am coming round to the idea of a G Shock.

I was always under the impression that they were very bulky and hadn’t really come across the square models previously that could look quite good.

I will pop down to the G Shock boutique on Carnaby Street today to try a few on. Looking at the 5610 model which isn’t too expensive but benefits from solar power and a decent number of features.

Maybe also getting the cheap F91W which for £10 is an absolute bargain!

Thanks all!

Craftsman
    I will be insured for the trip for the likes of my camera (Sony A7iii) and MacBook Pro but that’s it in terms of valuables really as I want to keep the rest as basic as possible.

Craftsman
    Good for you mate i wish you well, and i hope you check in every now and then with wrist shots!

The moral of the story is take whatever you're comfortable with, and what's way more important than a bloody watch is to make sure you get all your jabs beforehand. And despite what your mum told you, always talk to strangers. I travelled solo quite a bit when not with friends (and so did they as we often wanted to do different things but met up later) and with an open mind and an inquisitive nature you'll meet people that will stick with you forever, and most probably help you out when needed. Oh and don't diss the locals. And don't get too wrecked when you're in dodgy places (which you will be occasionally).

You'll find your way, and i hope i stand corrected on your return, but my money's on you coming back with a different watch to the one you left with (and i really hope the outgoing watch isn't a Rollie).

Stay safe, and more importantly enjoy it :)

P.s. Apologies if i came over a bit strong with the horror stories (of which i've been pulled up on - sorry Ralphy) but you'll have a great time i guarantee it, and it will probably change your life.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 7th December 2018 at 07:38.

Journeyman
    I’d definitely recommend g shock (love a DW 5600) or cheap Casio. If a handed watch is preferred, grab a good looking quartz - tissot - or the Citizen eco drive mentioned earlier. For me, I know that the romantic idea of sharing the journey with a special watch would be marred by worrying about it getting damaged, pinched etc (but you may be less paranoid!). You can still rack up memories in a beater.

Journeyman
    Oops, crossed posts with OP - good call. No need for stress on a trip of a lifetime. Also, much easier to hide your laptop / camera in a bag if you want to get them away from prying eyes. Not so for a watch. Most importantly have an incredible trip!

Master
    Blog Entries
    PRS 82 was always a great travel watch on a NATO. My got too these days is a MB3, rugged, swim proof and not flash. It also looks great on one of Eddie's nato straps and doesn't wear as big as you would think.
    Last edited by Middo; 6th December 2018 at 12:01.

exciting.... have blast

Craftsman
    Just tried the 5610 - seems like a decent watch that doesn’t fit too bad at all....

Just goes to show that life is not about the answers, but it is all about knowing what questions to ask

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=lawler;4959380]Just tried the 5610 - seems like a decent watch that doesn’t fit too bad at all....

That would be my pic or the Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium BN0118-12L
    Last edited by Robert189598; 6th December 2018 at 14:46.

just buy the cheapest g shock you can find , failing that and if you are a scared snowflake buy a breitling emergency .

Craftsman
    Just tried the 5610 - seems like a decent watch that doesn’t fit too bad at all....

Get it.

It will be your trusty companion and it won't let you down.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 6th December 2018 at 15:16.

Craftsman
    Just goes to show that life is not about the answers, but it is all about knowing what questions to ask
    Sublime comment, and sums it up perfectly.

If you prefer analogue then this one has the same set of functions and wears about the same size. It's available in a number of different colours and probably available cheaper elsewhere, but I like Heinnie.

https://www.heinnie.com/casio-g-shock-awg-m100-1aer

Quote Originally Posted by Robert189598 View Post
    Personally, having back packed and stayed in hostels, I wouldn't take anything that I didn't mind being stolen, lost or damaged. Worrying about about 'stuff' will just spoil the trip. But each to their own.
    Exactly...........

This would do me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Colle...ds=casio+watch

£20 from Amazon.