closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which watch for backpacking around the world?

Master
    Interesting thread.

I'd agree with the most common response- G-Shock 56**, one with band 6 and solar. Won't have to set it, worry about batteries etc. Avoid the reverse display, can be difficult to read.

If I was going to be including some potentially risky activities, especially alone, I would consider an Emergency. I'm not a snowflake, but heard enough tales of people who have lost their lives, when one of these would probably have saved them. If you're not, then get the G!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Get a G Shock.

Second that, you can't go wrong.

Master
    Garmin Fenix 3/5 range if you have big enough wrists. Or the Garmin Forerunner 735xt if you don’t. They will need recharging every week or so, but you say you will have plenty of tech with you so finding a USB port shouldn’t be a worry. I regularly travel to remote places and countries twice every month, and the Garmin range is, by far, the most popular choice and almost standard field issue amongst those who live/work/travel to the field, including our security personnel.
    My 2nd choice would be the GW5000-1JF.
    Last edited by spareparts; 8th December 2018 at 09:09.

Agree that G-Shock is ideal but you could also look at models from Casio Protek or Tissot T-Touch which both have many of same functions.

I went backpacking in Asia with my then GF - now wife - some 10 yrs ago. I used a Tissot T touch I bought second hand on some watch forum. It was cheap, it was scratched and it was perfect for the job.

Journeyman
    A vote for a casio pro trek 2500, I've got one that's served me well over the years as a rugged outdoor watch, or any of the pro trek range.. although they're pretty big around the 45mm they wear well, it's an easy choice with the atomic world time, solar power, 200m water resistance and loads of other good features, very tough watches and comfortable! Definitely worth considering 👍

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Interesting thread.

I'd agree with the most common response- G-Shock 56**, one with band 6 and solar. Won't have to set it, worry about batteries etc. Avoid the reverse display, can be difficult to read.

If I was going to be including some potentially risky activities, especially alone, I would consider an Emergency. I'm not a snowflake, but heard enough tales of people who have lost their lives, when one of these would probably have saved them. If you're not, then get the G!
    Nice watches but probably not best sold to people who might think 'what does this bit do?' just before unscrewing the aerial
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I’d get the Seiko. Cheap(ish). Can’t stand G shocks. If you’re going to get something really cheap that you don’t care about you might as well not bother at all. Thieves will want your phone anyway and that’s going to be worth more than your watch. Get insurance and avoid dodgy areas and you’ll be fine. It really isn’t that dangerous despite what some people think. They see tourists all the time, you aren’t that special.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I’d get the Seiko. Cheap(ish). Can’t stand G shocks. If you’re going to get something really cheap that you don’t care about you might as well not bother at all. Thieves will want your phone anyway and that’s going to be worth more than your watch. Get insurance and avoid dodgy areas and you’ll be fine. It really isn’t that dangerous despite what some people think. They see tourists all the time, you aren’t that special.

Yeah - you never hear of backpackers getting into bother....................

Any watch that you wouldn’t worry about is the answer.

Maybe a recently battery changed quartz is better suited than your stipulated manual/auto.

Delending on where you are travelling to, I’d be inclined to wear one of my Casio 56xx’s - but I’m not adverse to wearing a mid priced watch to certain countries.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yeah - you never hear of backpackers getting into bother....................
    Compared with the amount of backpackers in total, you don’t. And even then, when you do, it tends to be the case that you hear the stories when you go looking for them. I hear about car crashes too but it doesn’t stop me driving.

At the end of the day you take something you can afford to lose (insure!) so if you DO get mugged as everyone expects you can do the safest thing which is to hand the item over without fuss. That’s the safest thing. Everything else is hyperbole. Like some have said, you’re going to ‘stand out’ already by taking a laptop and camera but nobody is recommending a Polaroid and a chromebook.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Garmin Fenix 3/5 range if you have big enough wrists. Or the Garmin Forerunner 735xt if you don’t. They will need recharging every week or so, but you say you will have plenty of tech with you so finding a USB port shouldn’t be a worry. I regularly travel to remote places and countries twice every month, and the Garmin range is, by far, the most popular choice and almost standard field issue amongst those who live/work/travel to the field, including our security personnel.
    My 2nd choice would be the GW5000-1JF.
    Could you expand on why the Garmin watches are popular in these situations?

Blog Entries
    Seikos have brilliant lumen. Easy to read in a Nepal hostel! Better than Sinn. The SKX013 will fit the bill perfectly since it's a little smaller than the first-port-of-call SKX007. I bought a Citizen BN0150 here on the forum. The lumen equals Seiko's. I've been wearing it during this whole summer, including 3 weeks on a boat (salt water etc). Not a single scratch! The only drawback is the size: perhaps too large for your wrist.

When picking up a Seiko (or any watch for that matter), put it on a nato strap. Those MoD guys were not stupid when they had their issued watches with a nato! Tip: if it's going to be a long trip: take a fresh, spare nato with you.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 8th December 2018 at 23:01.

Whack it on a Perlon if you’re going somewhere warm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Could you expand on why the Garmin watches are popular in these situations?
    Maintaining physical (and mental) fitness in my field of work is important when travelling regularly to remote areas, for extended periods of time, and subject to security risks. Fitness functionality aside, such smartwatches are also helpful to ones psyche in fragile situations.

Instead of the GWM5610, if you're back packing and weight is an issue, may I suggest the GW-S5600 with the carbon fibre strap and titanium fittings. 48gms of fully featured light weight greatness, with solar/atomic too. Also the smallest square G you can choose.

Last edited by dkpw; 9th December 2018 at 03:21.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Nothing with a battery, that includes a Quartz.
    Sods law even a new battery will fail and then no watch.
    My option would be a Seiko SKX 007 on a Nato. Not too expensive or hard to replace if it gets stolen. I wore an SKX around Stralia and Africa with no problems.

Get the Seiko. Of all the options I think it is the choice that still looks good after some abuse. Love the Sinn but the finish shows every mark. A large part of the Seiko is polished so marks show less. This means you can worry less and enjoy the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My travel watches for sketchier parts of the world are a Casio AE-1000W and a Citizen AW-1410-08E.

The Casio is cheap as chips - I didn’t even see the point in spending the extra pennies for a G-Shock - does all the time zones (I’m currently in India at GMT+5.5, something Rolex didn’t think of :) ), and keeps good time. On the downside: I find digital watches harder to read at a glance, the strap seems to be a Casio-specific with a plastic clasp, which has discoloured with contact with DEET and I found the plastic strap uncomfortable in the heat.

The Citizen is an Ecodrive and as such I don’t have to worry about batteries, it keeps excellent time and is water resistant to 200m, so should keep away all the muck thrown at it. Since it’s got string bars and 22mm lugs, finding NATO straps to put it on and swap without needing any tools, so if the strap gets manky/broken it’s easy to change the strap, and the NATO is much more comfortable in the heat.

If I was swimming, or getting soaked in monsoons, I’d consider something like the Seiko with a bracelet.

Master
    I would have suggested a Casio W736 but for a skinny wrist could I suggest the Casio W800.

It has it all waterproof, alarm, dual time zone, stopwatch and no one should try and steal it.

I wore a Casio when I did the US and it served me well.

B

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Nothing with a battery, that includes a Quartz.
    Sods law even a new battery will fail and then no watch.
    Did I miss the bit where he was going to the moon? Quite sure he'll be able to get a battery.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Did I miss the bit where he was going to the moon? Quite sure he'll be able to get a battery.
    I thought the same - for $10 he can get a new watch...... anywhere!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    My travel watches for sketchier parts of the world are a Casio AE-1000W and a Citizen AW-1410-08E.

The Casio is cheap as chips - I didn’t even see the point in spending the extra pennies for a G-Shock - does all the time zones (I’m currently in India at GMT+5.5, something Rolex didn’t think of :) ), and keeps good time. On the downside: I find digital watches harder to read at a glance, the strap seems to be a Casio-specific with a plastic clasp, which has discoloured with contact with DEET and I found the plastic strap uncomfortable in the heat.

The Citizen is an Ecodrive and as such I don’t have to worry about batteries, it keeps excellent time and is water resistant to 200m, so should keep away all the muck thrown at it. Since it’s got string bars and 22mm lugs, finding NATO straps to put it on and swap without needing any tools, so if the strap gets manky/broken it’s easy to change the strap, and the NATO is much more comfortable in the heat.

If I was swimming, or getting soaked in monsoons, I’d consider something like the Seiko with a bracelet.
    I think this is the correct answer. If backpacking you basically want something that you can put on your wrist on day 1 and leave there whatever you are doing until you get home. So something tough (not mechanical) - cheap Casios are almost indestructible (can't see the need for a G-shock). If the battery fails, throw the watch away and get a new one - its cheap enough!
    If you don't want the worry of batteries, then either a Citizen Eco-drive / Seiko Solar or Seiko Kinetic can be reasonably cheap and robust enough for the job.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    As long as he bought a digital or analogue watch with solar charging then even that shouldn't be an issue. The intensity of sunlight on the moon's surface on the light side is around 37% stronger than that on earth due to the lack of atmosphere, so it would easily charge a watch's integrated battery. The main issues would most likely be the high temperatures which can reach around +127 Celsius and the strong UV radiation, so as long as he chose a watch that could handle both of those he should be ok.

It would certainly be more an issue though if he wanted to visit the dark side as the temperature can drop to around -173 Celsius, but most importantly there would be no sunlight at all (or perhaps only a very very small amount from starlight received from the observable universe) so the battery would not charge unfortunately.

Other than that, and assuming he could get NASA, ESA or Roscosmos (depending who he was travelling with) to flight qualify the watch he should be good to go.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 14th December 2018 at 09:52.

Master
    I travel a lot and prefer the Citizen as it's GPS and always correct if time is the most important issue.

However as most have said the best is a basic Gshock with atomic and solar.

Journeyman
    Have a look at the “ Take Time Project” thread. The Seiko being used there seems to be doing a great job.
    Even if you do not fancy the watch, the thread itself is fantastic.

Craftsman
    Took delivery of this G-Shock today which I will be taking round the world! (GW-5000-1JF)

Thanks all for the help.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    Took delivery of this G-Shock today which I will be taking round the world! (GW-5000-1JF)

Thanks all for the help.

Great choice.

That G is all the watch you need.

Anything that looks cheap and plastic
    Digital

Good call, enjoy the trip.

Craftsman

Thanks all for the help.

Good choice mate. Where did you get if from and how much?
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 10th December 2018 at 16:43.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    Good choice mate. Where did you get if from and how much?
    Got it off the forum for £175!

That is a very good price. But the 5600 is cheaper to replace, with the same look and more importantly the same functions. The 5000 is for us aficionados who enjoy a proper back.

It’s the one I wear when I travel to Eastern European countries.

It still gets noticed. Not the sort of unwanted attention you want to avoid, but even in a comfortable journey, you’ll multiply the unknown towns and countries and will be often one wrong turn away from having to give it up, as well as your wallet (and your phone).
    So the cheapest version will always be a better bet.

Btw, start keeping your expired bank cards that you will keep in your main, visible wallet along with a couple of notes. Good enough to keep them happy most of the time.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Got it off the forum for £175!

That's a good deal as I it's a JDM watch and usually around £240 I think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

One caution against a G-shock. I personally find rubber a bit uncomfortable in the heat. NATO is a lot more comfortable If only one watch (and take a spare NATO or 2).

Well I think that’s a great choice - to the uninitiated it looks like a £40 plastic watch, it’ll do everything you need and I’ve always found the resin straps comfortable and very hard wearing. If it makes it through the trip without attracting unwanted attention (and it’s such a vanilla looking watch - in a good way - I doubt anyone will look twice) you’ll have a great momento. Have a great trip

Journeyman

Thanks all for the help.

Looks the biz - that’s a watch for life :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Seconded. It's bullet proof, with solar power and radio. Always on and always right

This seems to be the most popular option.
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    [QUOTE=jlevo;4963605]Seconded. It's bullet proof, with solar power and radio. Always on and always right

Is it really bullet proof? I don’t think Casio make any such claims for any of their G Shocks.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=seabiscuit;4963623]
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevo View Post
    Seconded. It's bullet proof, with solar power and radio. Always on and always right

Is it really bullet proof? I don’t think Casio make any such claims for any of their G Shocks.
    Turn of phrase. It's definitely not going to withstand a bullet, no

Mine has survived a high speed bike crash, and subsequent dragging along the road.

Mine has survived a high speed bike crash, and subsequent dragging along the road.

No protective gloves for your wrists/watch?

Any photos of the watch?

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=seabiscuit;4963623]

No, for that you need a 'Ballistic' watch. Would go well with a Geordie Jumper like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm2DAumuyFU
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 11th December 2018 at 19:45.

Banned
    Great choice but then again you already had a few watches that would have been fine. I would have taken the Sinn and the Seiko as a backup watch.

Master
    I was going to suggest the PRS18Q COSC which has been on my wrist since it arrived months ago. Worn it everywhere - hot and cold climates - admittedly nowhere that dodgy. Has kept perfect time and is comfortable and very understated.

The Casio you've selected is a good choice though and has many more functions.

Enjoy your trip.

I bummed around Europe and India in the eighties with this one:

Master
    G-Shock. Absolutely no questions. Can swim with it, bash it on rocks if you end up climbing (if you don't you've wasted an opportunity!) and completely under the radar. Even readjusts itself through different time zones. And super cheap too.

I've been on plenty of extended adventures across the world with my 5610 and it's perfect. For me, that's a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    just buy the cheapest g shock you can find , failing that and if you are a scared snowflake buy a breitling emergency .
    I was waiting for someone to suggest that but perhaps in a less aggressive way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    If I needed to catch planes and trains for a year then I'd worry that an automatic wouldn't be accurate enough.

I'd go for a G-Shock and it fits the bill perfectly with its automatic time updates.
    Having missed the start of Le Mans when my seiko with automatic time updates got all confused and was suddenly an hour out...... I wouldn’t trust them for planes and trains!

Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    Having missed the start of Le Mans when my seiko with automatic time updates got all confused and was suddenly an hour out...... I wouldn’t trust them for planes and trains!
    Could have been DST related operator error
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.