closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which watch for backpacking around the world?

Craftsman

Which watch for backpacking around the world?

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Could have been DST related operator error
    Yeah kind of, along with home / second time zone. I had been in France for 2 days and it wasn’t auto updating, so I manually shifted it, and then it decided to update the morning Of the race! I missed the start as we were still in the bar thinking it was an hour away!

My level of trust has been low since and if I wear it when traveling it gets regularly checked against my phone, which I think misses the point of it entirely. :-(.
    Last edited by tobetobes; 14th December 2018 at 07:59.

Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    As long as he bought a digital or analogue watch with solar charging then even that shouldn't be an issue. The intensity of sunlight on the moon's surface on the light side is around 37% stronger than that on earth due to the lack of atmosphere, so it would easily charge a watch's integrated battery. The main issues would most likely be the high temperatures which can reach around +127 Celsius and the strong UV radiation, so as long as he chose a watch that could handle both of those he should be ok.

It would certainly be more an issue though if he wanted to visit the dark side as the temperature can drop to around -173 Celsius, but most importantly there would be no sunlight at all (or perhaps only a very very small amount from starlight received from the observable universe) so the battery would not charge unfortunately.

Other than that, and assuming he could get NASA, ESA or Roscomos (depending who he was travelling with) to flight qualify the watch he should be good to go.

Excellent

Journeyman
    I know it's all been said, but G-Shock or, as I think Ally already suggested somewhat cryptically, F91W.

Stating the obvious, but the idea of backpacking around the world, is to look at the world, not your wrist! Just my opinion, I realise it is probably justification for a ban.

Gshock or MM300

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots2 View Post
    the idea of backpacking around the world, is to look at the world, not your wrist! Just my opinion.
    Fair point.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 15th December 2018 at 08:23.

Craftsman
    Something that shows 2 time zones would be a bonus. I travel a lot and knowing what time it is at home helps so I don’t call the family at 3am! (Cost me some presents from duty free to scrub out that one)

Gotta be a Seiko Skx? Sorry if that’s already been recommended

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    A little more reflection on this one has led me to ponder a different approach. You would want something that is practical, perhaps a conversation piece, whilst not attractive to thieves. How about a brass or bronze watch? During your travels it will develop a healthy (or unhealthy) patina all of its own. When you get home, every time you look at the watch you will be reminded of some of the places you went and things you did, in some part by the marks on the case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevo View Post
    Seconded. It's bullet proof, with solar power and radio. Always on and always right

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Which model is this ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots2 View Post
    . How about a brass or bronze watch? During your travels it will develop a healthy (or unhealthy) patina all of its own. When you get home, every time you look at the watch you will be reminded of some of the places you went and things you did, in some part by the marks on the case.
    A titanium would also pick up ‘history’ quickly and not shine so brightly in the cold light of the wrong scrutinisation.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    A titanium would also pick up ‘history’ quickly and not shine so brightly in the cold light of the wrong scrutinisation.
    Fair point!

Journeyman
    seiko turtle + suunto core for me!