closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New helmet (motorbike) - thoughts? UPDATE

New helmet (motorbike) - thoughts? UPDATE

Hi all,

clearly there's a lot of motorbike knowledge on here so I just thought I'd ask.

I'm in the market for a new helmet. I had a Shoei GT Air which I loved but was stolen along with my scooter this time last year. Thanks to the less than helpful insurance people even getting a replacement scooter was tight nevermind a new helmet. I was however, given a new cheap helmet as part of the new scooter purchase.....a Lid flip-up. I hate this helmet and have meant to change it ever since but funds have not allowed.

Now that I've replaced the scooter with a Scrambler the need to replace the helmet seems even more urgent......but what do I go for? The only thing I like about the Lid helmet is the convenience of the flip-up....never thought I would but it is really handy. Also the sun visor in the GT Air was a godsend so I'd like to have that again. All this points towards the Shoei Neotec.....but it's and arm and a leg! Also wondering if a more retro look helmet would suit the bike better (full face obviously).

What do you guys wear and what do you think?
    Last edited by skmark; 30th December 2018 at 16:43.

If you like the the flip up style but want better quality have a look at the Schuberth range and in particular the C4, the integrated internal tinted visor that flips down I find especially useful

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...waAmkWEALw_wcB

Don't overly focus on expensive helmets or brands.
    Go for fit...everytime.
    A cheap well fitting £50 chinese helmet will give you far more protection than an ill fitting £500 premium brand.
    Every time.
    You will however find that a more expensive lid will have better ventilation and comfort levels
    Other than that, you pays yer money...

Journeyman
    Lacks the sun visor; but Roof Boxer is the better and cooler looking flip-top. Would go well with the Scrambler. Can actually ride open faced without looking like a pudding too.

I wore one to Spain and back; and no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    A cheap well fitting £50 chinese helmet will give you far more protection than an ill fitting £500 premium brand.
    Every time.
    Sure it will.

If you're after a flip up helmet I can recommend the one I wear, a Shoei Neotech. Supremely comfortable, excellent ventilation and an all round excellent modular helmet.

Despite advice to the contrary don't skimp on your crash helmet, you only get one head.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Sure it will.
    Indeed.
    It will.

Master
    The Shark flip up is worth looking at.

For myself, the fit of the helmet and the proviso it has either the BSI or EU equivalent rating are the top priorities.

I've got half a dozen different styled helmets in the garage, all different manufacturers and my choice is dependant on what bike and what journey I'm planning as I don't believe there's one style that suits all types of riding.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I know it’s not a flip up but I recently bought the Shark Spartan carbon... it has the built in sun visor, and the pin lock system, ventilation is good, and it weighs 1200 grams...

I’m very pleased with it. Price wise it’s mid range, and there are deals out there..As for £50 quid well fitting Chinese helmets. NO COMMENT.

If weight isn’t an issue, they do the same helmet in non carbon. And it’s obviously a bit cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    Lacks the sun visor; but Roof Boxer is the better and cooler looking flip-top. Would go well with the Scrambler. Can actually ride open faced without looking like a pudding too.

I wore one to Spain and back; and no complaints.

I’m not familiar with that model, but it is always worthwhile checking that it is type-approved for use in flip-up position.

I know that the Shark Evo models are approved with chin-bar raised all the way back and latched, and I believe that the BMW Evo7 also approved.

I think that ‘approval’ also implies the legality of riding with a flip-front helmet with chin bar raised.

worth checking.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    For myself, the fit of the helmet and the proviso it has either the BSI or EU equivalent rating are the top priorities.

I've got half a dozen different styled helmets in the garage, all different manufacturers and my choice is dependant on what bike and what journey I'm planning as I don't believe there's one style that suits all types of riding.

R

Agreed, I have 3 helmets and will pick according to journey and type of bike I'm riding

I would also recommend the shark evo

New helmet (motorbike) - thoughts?

Remember also that helmets have a limited lifespan.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    You might also like to look at Caberg, I had one for a while, very well made for the price, However I now use a Shuberth C3 flip which is a superb bit of kit. Cheers, John B4

Journeyman
    Another big vote for Schuberth here. I have 2 of their helmets - a C3 Pro with full comms for touring and commuting, and an SR2 for the track.

The C3 is a joy to use for long distances, and the flip allows for a much tighter neck roll, which reduces turbulence around the neck and wind noise. The comms are not cheap, but the 2 channel bluetooth is pretty cool for listening to tunes and taking calls, as well as getting directions from the GPS on the other channel. It also has the intercom so you can talk to other riders or your passenger.

Big thumbs up from me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I’m not familiar with that model, but it is always worthwhile checking that it is type-approved for use in flip-up position.

I know that the Shark Evo models are approved with chin-bar raised all the way back and latched, and I believe that the BMW Evo7 also approved.

I think that ‘approval’ also implies the legality of riding with a flip-front helmet with chin bar raised.

worth checking.
    As far as I can tell, the BMW system 7 is approved for use with the chin-bar fully down OR fully removed (ie converted to a 'jet' helmet). I don't think it is approved with the chin-bar in the up/back position.

Hhhmmm lots of thoughts 😁.

I do like the Roof Boxer even though the 2 scrotes who recently tried to bike jack me were both wearing them. Seems like the helmet of choice for the latest Moped Gangs. My only concern is the lack of pin-lock visor......it does rain a lot here and I don't want to spend £300 on a helmet for it to be fogging up all the time.

I've also thought about the Schuberth C3 Pro......lots on online talk about forehead pressure and flimsy visor but not had the chance to try one on yet.

Liking the look of that Shark Spartan too.......hhhmmmm

Fitting is king. Lightweight is his queen for a royal headgear.
    I completely understand the convenience of flip up when stopped. I am not so sure about riding with it open: it’s not exactly aerodynamic and you run the risk of experience the limitations of a jet while wearing a full face if you have an accident.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Hhhmmm lots of thoughts .

I do like the Roof Boxer even though the 2 scrotes who recently tried to bike jack me were both wearing them. Seems like the helmet of choice for the latest Moped Gangs.
    So you'll also look less like a victim (more like of of them!) so less risk of bike jacking too! Result.

Its the coolest looking of any flip helmet - you don't wanna look like a copper or a IAM Instructor, do you?! (You bought a Scrambler, so looks are high on your list clearly).

I had great fun on my Rocket 3 with one - ride open face until you cheeks inflate at 90 (!) then close it and hang on.

Of course it isn't as safe as a full-face; in much the same way as riding a bike ain't as safe as driving a car.

Blog Entries
    Shark Evoline 3 for a flip up. Seriously good. Approved up or down.

If you do much riding (more than 30 miles/ all year) then I would go function over form every time. I have a Tour X but only use it for short journeys in the summer- I know many are happy with them as a touring helmet but I find the extended mouth and visor only good in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ve recently got back into biking (Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled) and after lots of research, bought an LS2 Valiant flip lid to replace my ageing Arai. Had funds allowed I would have gone for a new Roof Boxer, but I’ve been very pleased with the LS2. Type approved both up and down, integrated sun visor and all for about £200. I particularly like the fact that I can go from locked open, to locked shut with a single hand, unlike my older Boxer that had press studs to secure in the down position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    So you'll also look less like a victim (more like of of them!) so less risk of bike jacking too! Result.

Its the coolest looking of any flip helmet - you don't wanna look like a copper or a IAM Instructor, do you?! (You bought a Scrambler, so looks are high on your list clearly).

I had great fun on my Rocket 3 with one - ride open face until you cheeks inflate at 90 (!) then close it and hang on.

Of course it isn't as safe as a full-face; in much the same way as riding a bike ain't as safe as driving a car.
    great points...how did you find the visor for fogging?

Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated.

As an update, I'm not new to motorbikes and this is not my first helmet by any means so I totally get all the comments re fit and not cheap etc etc. I agree on those points 100%.

I also appreciate the comments regarding looks.....come on it doesn't all have to be about practicality does it. I don't want to look like a police rider or instructor. I'm also not touring the world.....I've done the Charlie and Ewan thing a few years ago.

Unfortunately I don't have an Arai shaped head....tried them a few times and just can't get away with them. I've had Shoei's, Nolan's and even a Cromwell (before I realised that open face was not very sensible).

I had been leading towards a Shoei Neotec (not the latest II) in black, but now find I'm drawn towards the Roof Boxxer Carbon and maybe the Shark Spartan Carbon. Anything else I should be having a look at/considering?

HJC make some great helmets (i use R-PHA 11 vermo) , they seem to have a good flip up range
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...ESC;0-0;m78;6)

Craftsman
    Meant to say in my previous post, a plug for sportsbikeshop, I bought a cheap open face (Dexter soddy which is surprisingly good!) for summer bimbling on my bonnie, great service & keen pricing, also happy to exchange if sizing wrong, would recommend. Cheers, John B4

Master
    It's very difficult for those of us who are into old bikes or retro styled bikes if we don't fancy wearing an open facer. The retro full face stuff like the Bell bullit and Premier trophy are over priced crap when compared to what you get on a regular full facer. Why pay more for no air vents and a draughty, leaky visor which whistles at speed?

When I went through all this on the run up to my test I ended up buying and HJC FG-ST as it got good safety ratings, had all the features, pin lock max vision visor (I struggled with feeling claustrophobic and wanted as much visibility as possible), fitted me perfectly and was available in plain colours with an easily removable logo so at least I wouldn't look like I'd nicked a power rangers head.

I've since bought an AGV AX8 Evo which is an adventure style lid. I think this style of lid (without the visor) goes really well with something like a scrambler. You get modern features and safety with a good urban non sport bike sort of look and the visibility is fantastic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    It's very difficult for those of us who are into old bikes or retro styled bikes if we don't fancy wearing an open facer. The retro full face stuff like the Bell bullit and Premier trophy are over priced crap when compared to what you get on a regular full facer. Why pay more for no air vents and a draughty, leaky visor which whistles at speed?

When I went through all this on the run up to my test I ended up buying and HJC FG-ST as it got good safety ratings, had all the features, pin lock max vision visor (I struggled with feeling claustrophobic and wanted as much visibility as possible), fitted me perfectly and was available in plain colours with an easily removable logo so at least I wouldn't look like I'd nicked a power rangers head.

I've since bought an AGV AX8 Evo which is an adventure style lid. I think this style of lid (without the visor) goes really well with something like a scrambler. You get modern features and safety with a good urban non sport bike sort of look and the visibility is fantastic.
    I agree... this was something I gave some thought to when I bought the Bobber... I see loads of photos of cool dudes in retro open face helmets and the old school bell ones that you describe.. I tried the Bell, it was the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever put on my head..
    I toyed with open face but then remembered how good looking I am and how much it’d hurt to lose my fine features.🤪🤪

At the end of the day I thought sod it and bought a hi tech lightweight helmet with modern features. The &act I got a great deal and service from my Shark sponsored BSB mate helped my decision. I was lucky in that the Shark BSB tech measured my head properly, and had a few for me to try...

I may still get an open face retro just for odd occasions when you want to look the part, distinguished gentleman’s ride etc. But in the meantime I’ll stick with modern safety and tech...

I also agree, this is exactly my dilemma really. I like the look of the AGV AX8, though not too sure about the peak bit. It's a bit like the slightly more retro Shoei EX Zero. I can't ever see myself wearing goggles though.....a step too far I think. I've had history with peaks too that I'm not too fond of.....like the looks though....Master Chief jokes aside.

Master
    I spent years and about 75,000 miles in a roof boxxer and loved it, I’m getting another over the winter after having flings with arai and bmw ones since. I did fancy the new system 7 bmw one but even though it’s really light and is a good concept it needs a couple of mm more comfortable lining in the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That was my mistake. I meant without the peak rather than without the visor. The peaks are easily removable on most of these types of helmets.

The thing that turned my head (no pun intended) towards a plain graphic adventure helmet for these types of bikes was the motovlogger Dan Dan The Fireman on Youtube. As the name suggests he's a fireman and as such has attended a fair few bike RTAs in his time so had witnessed the effectiveness of full face V open face. He wore a Bell Bullet for a while until a friend had an accident wearing one. Anyway, the whole thing is covered on his YouTube channel. He switched to a Shoe Hornet which I thought suited his bike (sportster) surprisingly well.

If I had a Ducati Scrambler full throttle I'd be buying this https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/...46-blackyellow
    Last edited by mowflow; 6th December 2018 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I know it’s not a flip up but I recently bought the Shark Spartan carbon... it has the built in sun visor, and the pin lock system, ventilation is good, and it weighs 1200 grams...

I’m very pleased with it. Price wise it’s mid range, and there are deals out there..As for £50 quid well fitting Chinese helmets. NO COMMENT.

If weight isn’t an issue, they do the same helmet in non carbon. And it’s obviously a bit cheaper

Got to say that is a very good looking thing. You may have turned my head from shoei. How is the wind noise?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Got to say that is a very good looking thing. You may have turned my head from shoei. How is the wind noise?
    Considering I’m riding a naked bike I’d say it’s very good... I haven’t got a lot to go on as the last helmet I bought was an AGV 20 odd years ago... which I always wore ear plugs with.

This one up to now I’ve not felt the need for ear plugs... the main thing for me was the weight, it’s really light and the carbon looks pretty cool..

If I had a Ducati Scrambler full throttle I'd be buying this https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/...46-blackyellow
    Damn that's a nice looking helmet! Unfortunately I've not got the FT I'm on the 62........opportunity for gratuitous bike pic;

Craftsman

Another vote for the Schuberth. I have a C3 pro (after 5 years of a C3) and it’s so well balanced weight wise on your head, and well made, noise levels low, ventilation is excellent and rarely steams up. Very very comfortable. My head is clearly the right shape as I get no forehead pressure.

Having also put my head under a lorry when someone not paying attention knocked me off on the M5-M6 interchange, and being here to type this, there is no way in hell I would touch a cheap Chinese helmet, no matter how well it fits on the inside of the lid.
    Last edited by tobetobes; 7th December 2018 at 04:15.

I’ve done 14k miles over the last 3 years with a C3 Pro. I’m very happy with it and will get a C4 Pro when the time to change comes.

Be aware that a Schuberth medium is 56-57 cm, while an Arai and Shoei medium are 57-58 cm. I found that a Neotec medium was too big and a small was too tight but the Schuberth fitted perfectly.

The built in comma of the C4 Pro and Shoei Neotec 2 are a nice option.

Master
    I went for the Caberg Duke II to go with my Bonneville T120 and I’m happy with the choice.

Grand Master
    Im a fan of Bell Bullit as a Full Face and Bell 500 as a half face. Although I was given a Hedon Hedonist which I like alot but think are too much for what they are / typical London twat lid
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    Another vote for the Schuberth.
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    ....the Schuberth fitted perfectly.
    .....I need to try on a Schuberth clearly. Though they do look a little sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    I went for the Caberg Duke II to go with my Bonneville T120 and I’m happy with the choice.
    ....tried one on a few weeks back and just didn't quite feel the love, no obvious reason why......I'd specifically gone to try one too.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Im a fan of Bell Bullit as a Full Face and Bell 500 as a half face. Although I was given a Hedon Hedonist which I like alot but think are too much for what they are / typical London twat lid
    As I work in London I went to the Bike Shed (https://thebikeshed.cc) one lunchtime this week........maybe if I grew a beard and bought one of those 'lids' I might just fit in there ;o).

I love the idea of being 'given' a helmet......anyone???

Journeyman

Re Fogging on the ROOF - it can, and does so I always gave it a quick spray with Bob Heath Anti Fog. Small price to pay for having "Boxer" written on the side of ya 'ead, in my opinion!

Master

I have a GT air. An expensive helmet for what it is imo. Couldn’t get on with it in the end so bought a shark carbon pro. Much nicer helmet and near enough half the price. My favourite though is the shark drak. Perfect for glasses no fogging at all.
    If I had to buy another helmet today I’d buy the shark carbon over the GT-air all day long

UPDATE: - managed to nip into J&S over the weekend.

They didn't have a Schuberth C3 Pro in medium to try on, but I wasn't too fussed as I'm not blown away by the looks....tad sensible.

I did get to try on the Shark Spartan Carbon.....wow what a light helmet!! The medium fitted tightly but the large fitted the best, still nice and snug but less pressure on the forehead. I've always been a Shoei Medium so was surprised to feel better in a large, but I guess they all fit differently. Loved the feel of the helmet in every respect with the exception of the daft position of the drop down sun visor mechanism.....but I guess you'd get used to that. Very reminiscent of my previous GT Air but without the cost and with better looks.

HJC, Caberg, Bell and AJV mostly felt a bit 'plasticy' or looked too way-out or sensible.

Surprised and disappointed that J&S don't stock Roof........need to find a dealer to try on the Boxxer Carbon now.....any ideas in central London or near St Albans?

Master
    Agree on the Schuberth. I have no doubt that they are great in terms of quality and protection but I can't see one or even hear the name without envisaging some dork on a GS dressed head to toe in BMW branded Goretex.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Meant to say in my previous post, a plug for sportsbikeshop, I bought a cheap open face (Dexter soddy which is surprisingly good!) for summer bimbling on my bonnie, great service & keen pricing, also happy to exchange if sizing wrong, would recommend. Cheers, John B4

It certainly looks like Sportsbikeshop is the place to buy (I could even go along to MK). Does anyone know whether they have any January type sales? Would hate to buy now then find it cheaper in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    As for £50 quid well fitting Chinese helmets. NO COMMENT.
    A cheap £50 helmet that stays in postion during impact will offer far more protection than an ill fitting £500 premium brand every time. Ill fitting helmets can become detatched or rotate causing major damage to C1-C7 vertebrae.
    A well constucted helmet will no doubt have a higher impact capability, however that's of little use if it's 50 yards down the road at the point of impact.

If you`re asking about the Boxers - they`re absolutely bloody useless in anything other than dry weather (noisy too - earplugs a must).
    Riding in the rain is seriously dangerous as you can`t see a fugging thing - Roof have designed a special type of visor material that even when pulled firmly shut lets water through hitting you on the nose and face immediately rendering the see-through qualities of the visor obsolete.

They look cool though, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    If you`re asking about the Boxers - they`re absolutely bloody useless in anything other than dry weather (noisy too - earplugs a must).
    Riding in the rain is seriously dangerous as you can`t see a fugging thing - Roof have designed a special type of visor material that even when pulled firmly shut lets water through hitting you on the nose and face immediately rendering the see-through qualities of the visor obsolete.

They look cool though, eh?
    Have you had any experience with the new Roof Carbon? Seems to be quite an update with both the visor and venting compared to the previous design?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    A cheap £50 helmet that stays in postion during impact will offer far more protection than an ill fitting £500 premium brand every time. Ill fitting helmets can become detatched or rotate causing major damage to C1-C7 vertebrae.
    A well constucted helmet will no doubt have a higher impact capability, however that's of little use if it's 50 yards down the road at the point of impact.
    My first helmet was a £49 MT Thunder which I think are made in India. Bought it because it was a great fit for my head and it scored 4/5 in the sharp testing. I'd be a hell of a lot more confident in it than some of the more expensive helmets I've tried on, particularly the retro styled ones like the bell bullit.

It certainly looks like Sportsbikeshop is the place to buy (I could even go along to MK). Does anyone know whether they have any January type sales? Would hate to buy now then find it cheaper in 2 weeks.
    Would that be an order for a helmet you tried for fit and finish at a local place?

Good of them to spend the time with you - all, apparently for nowt.