closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amazon Alexa Echo devices used as intercom

Master

Amazon Alexa Echo devices used as intercom

Hey guys, I'm after a bit of advice here...see if anyone tried it or has the option of trying this for me.

Basically I'd like to use multiple Echos linked to my account as an intercom. Now I know you can set them up in different rooms of the house and it all works....but I'd like to have one of them in a different room in another country. It will be connected to a local router via wifi and hopefully still work as part of my 'local' devices. Would this work? Anyone tried it?
    The reason is that my mum can't use her hands due to progressive Multiple Sclerossis and this is the only option of how to answer a call...with a voice command. The other country is Slovakia (people use Amazon.de for their shopping, but I'd rather use my uk amazon account to make things simple as she would only use the Echo as an intercom)
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear of your mother's condition.

I'm no expert but always thought that they needed to be connected to the same network to be considered "local"? However there must be a way to use voice-managed calls using VOIP on these - I believe Skype is coming to Alexa soon?

Add - it's already here : https://blogs.skype.com/news/2018/11...alexa-devices/
    Last edited by vagabond; 11th December 2018 at 12:56.

Master
    Yeah, but you still need a separate Alexa account. And then link your skype to Alexa. If I have to create a new Alexa account I can just use the 'Drop-in' function which is already there.
    (thank you for trying to help though)

Master
    Not sure what your issue is. As far as I'm aware you can use drop in or the call function with any device on any network or account as long as they're set up appropriately in the Alexa App.

Master
    If you can set up another Alexa account then it could work natively no?

https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-ho...can-you-use-it

Not sure if there are any geographical blocks to the service but if there are then perhaps a vpn service to route traffic via the uk might resolve it?

I guess there will be some trial and error in getting this to work.