closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Going on the waiting list... costs?

Master

Going on the waiting list... costs?

So following on from the recent thread about Daytonas and waiting lists and resale value.

I was wondering if it's worth just popping along to my local AD and putting my name down on the waiting list? I mean does it cost anything to put your name on the list? Then, if/when a get the call in 5 or 10 years time I can look at the market and decide whether to go for it or not - I assume the AD will be only too pleased to offer the watch to someone else if I decide to not proceed. If I decide to go ahead it could be a quick profit.

Or am I being a bit naive here?

Craftsman
    You might be onto something there

Craftsman
    I have no experience of this, but as I understand it is not as easy as just popping your name on the list, as the waiting list is long enough for them to warrant not to take any further reservations... I may stand corrected.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

By Jove! I think you might be on to something there! :-)
    On a serious note some less scrupulous (in my opinion) sellers may ask for a deposit, (FH did ask me for a non refundable deposit) but most will not. However you may have to join the list that allows you to join the list that lets you on the list...
    I would guess most ADs of a certain brand have lists as long as their arm as people try to join the speculators cashing in on the restricted supply.
    Others have joined the list and walked away with the watch the following week.
    Unless you really want a particular watch I would not bother.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 5th December 2018 at 09:45.

Master
    The idea was fuelled by a rather nice hardback Rolex catalogue sent to me by the AD in Hull so I guess that means they're seeking customers.

I don’t think they are seeking customers to be honest
    The popular models are impossible to get without a bit of luck and a list, all of Rolex’s own doing.
    The unpopular models are sitting in the window displays
    If you want a gold watch, a ladies model or an OP they are pretty easy to get. Maybe they are hoping you might buy one of these?
    Other makers do not seem to have the supply issue currently. Most Omega ADs can get any watch (bar the limited editions) within a few days I think.
    Same for most other manufacturers.
    As I say if you want the watch go ahead and put your name down as it’s the only way you will get one. I would not pay to join a list though. It’s only a peice of jewellery after all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I don’t think they are seeking customers to be honest
    The popular models are impossible to get without a bit of luck and a list, all of Rolex’s own doing.
    The unpopular models are sitting in the window displays
    If you want a gold watch, a ladies model or an OP they are pretty easy to get. Maybe they are hoping you might buy one of these?
    Other makers do not seem to have the supply issue currently. Most Omega ADs can get any watch (bar the limited editions) within a few days I think.
    Same for most other manufacturers.
    As I say if you want the watch go ahead and put your name down as it’s the only way you will get one. I would not pay to join a list though. It’s only a peice of jewellery after all.
    It was just an idea in an idle moment whilst flicking through the catalogue...

Craftsman
    If you go past an AD and you have a spare 10-15 minutes I would def go and chat with them, what have you got to lose. Most places around me aren't even taking names down for a Daytona though unless you have a very extensive buying history with the AD and brand.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    It was just an idea in an idle moment whilst flicking through the catalogue...
    The question is a valid one but saying that you intend to flip for a profit is not likely to engender positive responces when posted on a watch enthusiast forum.
    Especially when half of the threads revolve around Rolex waiting lists, retention of paperwork and ever increasing costs on the secondary market. That said everyone is entitled to make a buck and if the market supports it is a simple case of supply and demand. Just my 2p worth.

How many of the current Rolex models can be flipped for a profit? I know dealers are selling basic submariners for above rrp but is there really any profit to made be a private seller? Realistically you would need to get your hands on a batman, hulk, pepsi or SS Daytona for the profit to be worth the risk and the chances of getting one of them at rrp are next to zero unless you know the AD very well.
    I think you would be wasting your time.

In 10 years time hulk or whatever may well be discontinued.

Craftsman
    Probably the reason we have lists in the first place is with everybody and their mother getting on a list for a desirable watch, at as many places as they can, that in most cases they don't even like and are only going to sell on straight away for a profit.

The AD's then use the list to big up the desirability and around and around it goes.

The guy that would actually like to own and wear said watch can't get one unless he pays over the odds and by doing so fuels the fire.

I know I'm an old cynic but it seems there are always these desirable watches available (if you don't mind having your pants pulled down) so is it that every one is sold is to the grey market? Certainly seems to be no shortages if you're prepared to pay.

How about-walk in, choose from the catalogue, place your order, AD places order with manufacturer, manufacturer makes to order, goods ready by x date. If you have orders for 10 make 10, if you have orders for 10,000 make 10,000

Why all this list bulls**t, with no idea when you may get one or indeed if they'll even let you on it.

Only my thoughts (which aren't worth Jack) but I just don't get it.

Rant over, carry on.

Neil

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Probably the reason we have lists in the first place is with everybody and their mother getting on a list for a desirable watch, at as many places as they can, that in most cases they don't even like and are only going to sell on straight away for a profit.

The AD's then use the list to big up the desirability and around and around it goes.

The guy that would actually like to own and wear said watch can't get one unless he pays over the odds and by doing so fuels the fire.

I know I'm an old cynic but it seems there are always these desirable watches available (if you don't mind having your pants pulled down) so is it that every one is sold is to the grey market? Certainly seems to be no shortages if you're prepared to pay.

How about-walk in, choose from the catalogue, place your order, AD places order with manufacturer, manufacturer makes to order, goods ready by x date. If you have orders for 10 make 10, if you have orders for 10,000 make 10,000

Why all this list bulls**t, with no idea when you may get one or indeed if they'll even let you on it.

Only my thoughts (which aren't worth Jack) but I just don't get it.

Rant over, carry on.

Neil
    Is it not the desirability factor that creates demand. People generally want what they can't have.

I imagine if all of a sudden The Air King was discontinued and it was difficult to obtain people would want that.

Why would Rolex take that away. They are brilliant at making everyone believe their watches are exclusive but in reality they sell millions of them.

Presumably you're only going to go for the white dial?
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Is it not the desirability factor that creates demand. People generally want what they can't have.

I imagine if all of a sudden The Air King was discontinued and it was difficult to obtain people would want that.

Why would Rolex take that away. They are brilliant at making everyone believe their watches are exclusive but in reality they sell millions of them.
    That's the whole point of lists. If any old peasant could buy one, most of the idiots with more money than sense wouldn't want one. Gotta feel like they're one of the chosen few and they are prepared to play the game to achieve that.