closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: advice re: pp lists

advice re: pp lists

Just popped in to PP, Bond Street on the off chance. Tough love. For the watches that i like, the lists were closed :( The kind lady in the store did give me some coaching that was appreciated and am not in a rush, but i am listening.

How does the system really work, do you have any advice or tips?

Coaching on what, how to purchase a watch?

The world has gone mad. Glad I choose to buy something other than PP and Rolex what with the way things are, their loss not mine.

navigating the system, feels like buying it is the final step. getting there efficiently seems like challenge ;)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It seems that if you are willing to blow £50k on a slow selling PP that's already in stock, they may consider putting you on the Aquanaut or Nautilus lists.

The very fact there is talk of a system and a shop assistant wanting to coach me on accessing that system says all I need to know about a brand. It’s a watch, that’s it! I’m still passionate about watch collecting but all this talk of PP and Rolex lists and systems is making me laugh, they’re are taking the pee and yet people still want to sign up to it.
    Last edited by dustybottoms; 4th December 2018 at 16:46.

system, process. all companies have them, which is ok.

When I started enquiring about the Aquanaut in WofS Manchester I was told that the list was 4-5 years but as I had purchase history with them already for Panerai's that if I were to but a Twenty4 for my wife or a Calatrava for myself then she could get me a bracelet 5167 within 6 months. The Nautilus and Aquanaut are, in her words 'Reward pieces!'

Take from that what you like but suffice to say I didn't buy a Twenty4 or Calatrava from them but did get a beautiful 2017 unworn 5167 for a comparatively small rise on rrp, justified by the fact that WF were offering considerably more than what I paid for a straight buy in. Looking today they have a 2017 5167 at an eyewatering £25750!!!

interesting, Thank you for sharing. I feel your second point, which why i would rather take my time and get list, rather than grey, also much less risk.

they make such beautiful watches

Craftsman

Just approach your local PP AD and put in your requests. Then don’t let them down when you get the call, and don’t flip the watches.

Master
    Play their game if you must but it sounds frankly ridiculous and rather demeaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Play their game if you must but it sounds frankly ridiculous and rather demeaning.
    Agreed - the whole thing is ludicrous and brands that do this put me right off.

I seem to recall some ad campaign for a product that said, “Not a question of, is [product] right for you, but are you right for [product]?” What a cartload of horse manure.

I appreciate that an AD and a brand may have sales process for purchasing one of their wares, but when you start to get coaching and advice for how best to purchase one (the chestnut “buy a few lower price models so you can ‘get in’ with the AD, then you can get on the list for the high-demand model” is ludicrous and laughable),[1] the market has become ridiculous. In addition to the potential abuse based on profiling or racism/sexism by sellers, it’s a vaporware method of enforcing snobbery. If you LIKE that — i.e. being made to feel like you have to earn the right to be there and buy that watch — yippee for you. For me, if I’m treated differently because I went in wearing jeans and a jumper, instead of my best bespoke suit, that seller can go out of business.

[1] Why is it ludicrous? If you have to buy lower-end models that you DON’T want, which you’ll flip, you become a serial flipper. If you have the ducats, just buy/order the watch you want to buy, wear, and keep. It should be simple. It seems that brands that huff their own PR and bombast, and customers that like being put through a rigamarole like a terrier at agility trials, are perpetuating this nonsense. Go ahead and buy into it, but don’t expect others to do the same without laughing so hard we pee.

sorry. just to be clear i asked for the coaching and listen to their advice and insight as to how their company and sales processes worked. they were kind enough to be open and share. There was no pressure to buy other models, they were clear what was and was not available. the staff were amazing.

Last edited by timc; 4th December 2018 at 20:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Danpd View Post
    Just approach your local PP AD and put in your requests. Then don’t let them down when you get the call, and don’t flip the watches.
    Hee hee.. essentially that is what i did

Blog Entries
    If you want the watch, continue to approach ADs until you can get one even if you have to wait on a ‘list’. Else pay the extortionate upprices that dealers are asking. Or just put a WTB on your friendly forum - you may get lucky.

Martyn.

thanks martin, will do. i prefer the idea of a new one with the ad experience.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Which models did you enquire about?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post

The ad experience where they keep the paperwork for a year and you have to swear to name your first child after the manager?

Forget the AD experience. It doesn’t really exist.

I am not looking to resell so letting them look after the paperwork is ok, but my daughter might be confused by the sudden name change lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post

Is there better lube at the AD?

Craftsman
    Totally agree thank God it's not like that at Tescos for the festive Brussels

Master

Ok this is how it works at Boodles, they have a Patek rep in store, he/she is really knowledgeable about the brand, they basically interview you with casual conversation if they like you then they will consider adding your name to the end of the list.

But then you hit a problem because when they eventually receive a Nautilus they check the buying history and will offer to loyal clients.

I’ve mentioned this before they only contact the top clients who tick all the boxes, that was 2 years ago so I guess it’s been tightened up a bit.

I own the top 2, 5712 & 5711 but I got mine from Bond Street after a 2 year wait, back in the day when you could get on a list.

I have a good history with DMR some 12 Rolex purchases + various others over the years, I’m now in an arena with big players so I’m both lucky and glad I got mine when I did, no way could I compete with some of the big hitters at Bond Street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    Ok this is how it works at Boodles, they have a Patek rep in store, he/she is really knowledgeable about the brand, they basically interview you with casual conversation if they like you then they will consider adding your name to the end of the list.

But then you hit a problem because when they eventually receive a Nautilus they check the buying history and will offer to loyal clients.

I’ve mentioned this before they only contact the top clients who tick all the boxes, that was 2 years ago so I guess it’s been tightened up a bit.

I own the top 2, 5712 & 5711 but I got mine from Bond Street after a 2 year wait, back in the day when you could get on a list.

I have a good history with DMR some 12 Rolex purchases + various others over the years, I’m now in an arena with big players so I’m both lucky and glad I got mine when I did, no way could I compete with some of the big hitters at Bond Street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many thanks, very interesting.

For me it feels like there is the security of not buying a fake or a franken, the feeling of a less inflated price, there are kind and knowledgable staff and then eventually may be a relationship if and when new items that catch an eye are released.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Take from that what you like but suffice to say I didn't buy a Twenty4 or Calatrava from them but did get a beautiful 2017 unworn 5167 for a comparatively small rise on rrp, justified by the fact that WF were offering considerably more than what I paid for a straight buy in. Looking today they have a 2017 5167 at an eyewatering £25750!!!
    I’m not sure what Watchfinder would pay now. One of them on their site was mine which I traded with them back in September for a very good price well in excess of retail. I think I timed it right as I’ve been keeping an eye on it since then and, as far as I can tell, they haven’t sold a single Aquanaut since. Either they have completely priced themselves out of the market or the current Aquanaut craze is coming to an end.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I’m not sure what Watchfinder would pay now. One of them on their site was mine which I traded with them back in September for a very good price well in excess of retail. I think I timed it right as I’ve been keeping an eye on it since then and, as far as I can tell, they haven’t sold a single Aquanaut since. Either they have completely priced themselves out of the market or the current Aquanaut craze is coming to an end.
    With the new management at that price I suspect the former - 5167A-001 seem to be still in short supply.

Interesting thread, for a variety of reasons. However, it's confirmed for me that I'm through with this game - they're just watches, and I'd rather invest emotionally and financially in something more meaningful.

Master
    I've never got a 'scarce' Rolex from an AD; but I did get a 5711 after an 18 month wait. Sadly, I wasn't very impressed. So l sold it.
    Now, if something is scarce, I leave it. Doesn't matter.
    Incidentally, I think a key factor in the PP lists is being clearly local.
    Last edited by paskinner; 5th December 2018 at 11:20.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I've never got a 'scarce' Rolex from an AD; but I did get a 5711 after an 18 month wait. Sadly, I wasn't very impressed. So l sold it.
    Now, if something is scarce, I leave it. Doesn't matter.
    Incidentally, I think a key factor in the PP lists is being clearly local.
    many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Interesting thread, for a variety of reasons. However, it's confirmed for me that I'm through with this game - they're just watches, and I'd rather invest emotionally and financially in something more meaningful.
    i agree, it is important we all make the right choices. thank you

No it is just that there is a lot of risk out there, i am cautious and they are really nice and helpful.