closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Here’s what a ‘bargain’ Rolex looks like

Master

Thumbs up Here’s what a ‘bargain’ Rolex looks like

Is the lucky buyer on here...

Graphic post warning...

Hopefully it’s some meddling kids messing with the seller.

Oohhhh a rare ‘Fat Nipple Dial’ 😜

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Is the lucky buyer on here...

Graphic post warning...

Hopefully it’s some meddling kids messing with the seller.

Quelle fromage as we say round these parts

Master
    The clarity and finish of the cyclops....its timeless, true workmanship

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Rare prototype

Craftsman
    Christmas has come early for someone out there!!!

Master
    What is the deal with these eBay beauties? Who is bidding them up to that level?

Can’t be the seller surely as you’d imagine they’d be happy with a few hundred for that POS and at that sort of money it’s into people thinking they’re getting a bargain for the real thing. Surely nobody in their right mind is legitimately bidding £4K on that!

Money laundering of some kind?

Master
    Does anyone actually know what happens if you buy a fake watch (accidentally) on ebay. Are you protected if you use Paypal? i.e. will they just refund you? At some point in the near future I might buy a watch or two from there but would hate to be stung and have no protection.

Ironically, the person that bought that watch would probably be totally satisfied until it stopped working. Anyone that would fall for that obviously would just be wanting a Rolex to have a Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Does anyone actually know what happens if you buy a fake watch (accidentally) on ebay. Are you protected if you use Paypal? i.e. will they just refund you? At some point in the near future I might buy a watch or two from there but would hate to be stung and have no protection.

Ironically, the person that bought that watch would probably be totally satisfied until it stopped working. Anyone that would fall for that obviously would just be wanting a Rolex to have a Rolex.
    You’d be totally fine as far as a refund goes. Just back it within 30 days.

One thing I wouldn’t want to do is sell an expensive watch on eBay. Where was it I was reading, some git had made a career out of buying Rolexes and sending back fakes and getting his refund. Or saying they didn’t turn up. Think he was actually returning empty boxes? Might have been on here I read about it.

Imagine selling a legitimate £7k watch and the seller wants to return it “because they’re unhappy” and you get back a fake!

Do you think someone has really paid £4K for that? I just don’t get it, I can’t see someone spending £4K on a Rolex without some knowledge or research.

I get that people will be taken in by the bargain of a few hundred without real knowledge but £4K?

This one Came with the usual story too, passed down through the family.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    You’d be totally fine as far as a refund goes. Just back it within 30 days.

One thing I wouldn’t want to do is sell an expensive watch on eBay. Where was it I was reading, some git had made a career out of buying Rolexes and sending back fakes and getting his refund. Or saying they didn’t turn up. Think he was actually returning empty boxes? Might have been on here I read about it.

Imagine selling a legitimate £7k watch and the seller wants to return it “because they’re unhappy” and you get back a fake!

Do you think someone has really paid £4K for that? I just don’t get it, I can’t see someone spending £4K on a Rolex without some knowledge or research.

I get that people will be taken in by the bargain of a few hundred without real knowledge but £4K?

This one Came with the usual story too, passed down through the family.
    Lost boxes in house move??!!

Journeyman
    Normally it is difficult to tell a watch is a fake from the photo but in this case it is totally obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Rare prototype
    Those were the days. Haven't seen much of that brouhaha around these parts for quite a while.

Cheap postage costs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    There’s another on the bay tonight, similar price to above, zero feedback , owner died.....lots of bids on it. I know everyone loves a bargain, but a watch at 60% of mkt value from a zero feedback seller !
    Oh postage is £25 this time

Craftsman
    I think the price is all part of the diversion to be honest, if it was a couple of hundred quid people would soon be asking questions but in the thousands-people think they're getting a genuine bargain.

You simply have to remember that most people on eBay are not watch enthusiasts, nor experts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    I think the price is all part of the diversion to be honest, if it was a couple of hundred quid people would soon be asking questions but in the thousands-people think they're getting a genuine bargain.

You simply have to remember that most people on eBay are not watch enthusiasts, nor experts.
    The theory is kind of sound, but... The type of regular joe who can’t tell that is fake is never spending £4K on a watch as a ‘bargain’

Also that price was achieved at auction, that’s the final bid not a buy it now price to get people thinking it’s a cheap genuine sub. Bidders have set the price.

I still think something else is going on, either people are bidding it up to wind the seller up or the seller is up to something.

Craftsman
    Just hope no-one is actually getting burned by these monstrosities!

Master
    Ebay is a mare for selling watches - I sold one for £200 and within a day the seller was telling me it was a fake because his brother had read something about fakes on ebay. He wanted a refund with me paying the postage again then got arsey when I told him there was nothing wrong with it. He opened a case against me with PayPal freezing my funds until it was sorted (to his) satisfaction!

That cyclop gave me an headache.

Apprentice
    This seems to be a bit of a regular occurrence on eBay atm! Tonight is a used but in good condition steel and yellow gold with blue face for only £987!! Bargain..... Not.

My guvnor showed me his 'Rolex' today, I have just finished adequately bleaching my eyeballs such was the horror, on the face it proudly proclaimed being a "Oyster Perpetual Date Explorer II Submariner" all topped off with a GMT style Pepsi bezel. It was quite possibly the grimmest watch I have seen in my entire life! He was actually quite proud of it! This man is my boss which is even more scary.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    My guvnor showed me his 'Rolex' today, I have just finished adequately bleaching my eyeballs such was the horror, on the face it proudly proclaimed being a "Oyster Perpetual Date Explorer II Submariner" all topped off with a GMT style Pepsi bezel. It was quite possibly the grimmest watch I have seen in my entire life! He was actually quite proud of it! This man is my boss which is even more scary.

- - - Updated - - -
    I’d love to see a picture !!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    ha, sounds something else! You should have snapped a pic. Could have gone with the “wow, that’s really cool... I’ve gotta take a pic”

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Haha.

I love reading threads on TRF & the Rolex section on WUS when people ask “is this legit?” You get a similar pic to that and the nonsense story. When they’re told it’s a really bad fake I’d say 8/10 times the OP will come back with “what makes it fake? But how do you know for sure?” errr because it looks like an absolute turd!

... I love reading threads on TRF & the Rolex section on WUS when people ask “is this legit?” You get a similar pic to that and the nonsense story. When they’re told it’s a really bad fake I’d say 8/10 times the OP will come back with “what makes it fake? But how do you know for sure?”
    "I stopped counting at six tells."