closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Master
    Have loved catching this thread as everybody's journeys continues. I am a relative novice but have signed up for a Half in August. Currently doing a weekly parkrun, weekly spin class then aiming for three other runs in the week.
    This week, 7.5k yesterday, spin this morning. Going to be a longer 11.5k tomorrow! Better get a good rest tonight!

Master
    I’ve signed up for Bournemouth Marathon 6th October. The bloody thing nearly killed me last year so I am going to train to make sure I come in under 4 hours.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I’ve signed up for Bournemouth Marathon 6th October. The bloody thing nearly killed me last year so I am going to train to make sure I come in under 4 hours.
    This will be my first marathon - aiming for a 3.30 hopefully! Was it the hills that hit you?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    This will be my first marathon - aiming for a 3.30 hopefully! Was it the hills that hit you?
    The hills are a pain 2nd half. My lack of training was the bigger issue!

It was my 2nd marathon and I didn’t respect it like my 1st!

Master
    Anyone ever heard of the 6 minute walk test before? Apparently it’s a thing.

I was in a lab on Tues taking part in a study and had to walk for 6 mins on a treadmill as fast as I could - I could control the speed but had to cover as much distance as I could. I found it really hard not to break into a run once I'd turned the speed up. Tough on the hamstrings! 10 mins rest then repeated again, with measurements (pulse, BP, O2 sat, lung capacity) taken in between. They kept the distances hidden so I don't know how far I went each time. Got to go back there and do the same again next week under hypoxic conditions (breathing oxygen-reduced air) as that’s what this study’s about, but apparently this is a common sport science test?
    Last edited by gcleminson; 20th June 2019 at 09:33.

Another 4 miler for me, 8:30ish. Nice day lstening to the Skylarks. This is the end of my recovery run week, day of tomorrow then long run on Sat

I've had a nice and easy resting week...running the West highland Way race this weekend...95 miles offroad, 14,000 feet of climbing..starts 1am on Saturday and hope to finish 24ish hours later...then an afternoon in the pub in Glencoe on the sunday...that's the plan anyway !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    I've had a nice and easy resting week...running the West highland Way race this weekend...95 miles offroad, 14,000 feet of climbing..starts 1am on Saturday and hope to finish 24ish hours later...then an afternoon in the pub in Glencoe on the sunday...that's the plan anyway !
    That sounds ace! Ran a bit of the WHW last Sept during the Ben Nevis ultra and the section into Kinlochleven was rocky as hell! Four and a half thousand metres of climb is a decent day out - enjoy it!

Cheers GC, fortunately the weather looks good..I did it 3 years ago and loved it (was boiling though) and supported my pal who ran it last year...the section from Milngavie to Tyndrum is lovely but its even more stunning north of there, especially Rannoch Moor and Glencoe...I agree the section around KLL is tough, I do remember hallucinating on the final section into Fort William so it'll be interesting to see what visions I have this year :-)

Master
    Cheers GC, fortunately the weather looks good..I did it 3 years ago and loved it (was boiling though) and supported my pal who ran it last year...the section from Milngavie to Tyndrum is lovely but its even more stunning north of there, especially Rannoch Moor and Glencoe...I agree the section around KLL is tough, I do remember hallucinating on the final section into Fort William so it'll be interesting to see what visions I have this year :-)
    By good I take it you mean claggy and temp in single figures? ;-))

Not previously on my radar but I'll do a little reading up as it sounds good. There's just so many decent events to choose from these days..

Blog Entries
    8.77km at 5.43 pace today…. Saw a heron and a swan with some baby swans next to her…

Headphones ran out of power half way through so listened to nature in all its glory for the last 4 km

Then had to go back to work and had stern words with my nuts (but likeable) American boss! Argh 😤

Journeyman
    First ever 10k last night as I only started running last August. Lisburn. I think its the second biggest one here after Belfast with 7000 runners split between the 10k and half marathon.

Managed 46.58, happy with that tho I learned a lot about what to do and not to do next time. I started too slow/over cautious for the first half and then had to go too fast for the next half to make up time. Very enjoyable evening tho and a really good buzz about the place despite average enough weather.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post
    First ever 10k last night as I only started running last August. Lisburn. I think its the second biggest one here after Belfast with 7000 runners split between the 10k and half marathon.

Managed 46.58, happy with that tho I learned a lot about what to do and not to do next time. I started too slow/over cautious for the first half and then had to go too fast for the next half to make up time. Very enjoyable evening tho and a really good buzz about the place despite average enough weather.
    Good time that…. Well done 👍🏼

Master
    Managed 46.58, happy with that
    That’s a great time! My first ever 10k took 59:58. Despite doing at least one or two 10k runs every week since February, I have only just managed 49:50 recently.

Congrats that is a good time

Very well done.. Cracking 10k time.. Keep going chief!

Having read some of your awesome achievements recently I feel it'd be more appropriate for me to post in a TZUK Bit Of Jogging thread. Anyway, I managed 35'43 on my usual 'just over 3 miles' run last night. Am getting some lower back pain but not certain that it's due to running as I had it before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Having read some of your awesome achievements recently I feel it'd be more appropriate for me to post in a TZUK Bit Of Jogging thread. Anyway, I managed 35'43 on my usual 'just over 3 miles' run last night. Am getting some lower back pain but not certain that it's due to running as I had it before.
    To put our meagre efforts into perspective, take a look at what Paul Tierney's just achieved this week:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...right-s-record

36,000 metres of ascent. Some quite horrible conditions in the Lakes earlier in the week as well. Pretty humbling.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    To put our meagre efforts into perspective, take a look at what Paul Tierney's just achieved this week:

36,000 metres of ascent. Some quite horrible conditions in the Lakes earlier in the week as well. Pretty humbling.
    Awsome achievement. Balls and a mind of steel

Day off today - harder to have a day off than run sometimes!

Journeyman
    Cheers guys.

Weirdly excited for tomorrow, taking a trip out to the coast at Donegal for a brand new parkrun starting. Never been to a first one anywhere, all on sand too.

Craftsman
    Another park run (3rd one) done today 28.47, pleased with another pb.
    54.8% age grade.
    Can't see it getting much better as I'm about at my limit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Another park run (3rd one) done today 28.47, pleased with another pb.
    54.8% age grade.
    Can't see it getting much better as I'm about at my limit.
    Good work!!!

Had a very ‘technical’ run this morning for 9km across country…. A lot of which was completely overgrown and next to un runnable in my many places…. Was glorious though (if slow!)

My WORD!!!!!! Massive respect.

TZUK Running Club

Legs like lead right now
    Took a great pic of our local d-day mulberry harbour relic though

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by TAG0001; 22nd June 2019 at 18:56.

Achilles ,where it meets the heel has swelled up really bad ,can hardly walk,I think a couple of weeks rest is needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Well the new Donegal beach park run was super craic and a lovely atmosphere, people traveled from all over the country to take part in the first one.

I have to say running in soft sand is exceptionally challenging. I managed second place, with 24.58. The winner got 24.18 and he normally runs 18’s.

Well the new Donegal beach park run was super craic and a lovely atmosphere, people traveled from all over the country to take part in the first one.

I have to say running in soft sand is exceptionally challenging. I managed second place, with 24.58. The winner got 24.18 and he normally runs 18’s.

Great effort, sand is a killer!

12 miles on Sun - 1500ft of ascent so hard but good. 4 miles of not slow enough recover run on Mon, 3 miles Tempo today.

Does anyone else really struggle to keep their recover runs slow enough? Im always aware of my tendancy to do an average run, not fast enough on fast days, not slow enough on slow days..

Charlie

Well had the West Highland Way race on Saturday..man it was a toughie, 1am start so head torches until it got light overlooking Loch Lomond at 4:30...stunning...warm, muggy but dry all day and I finished with a time of 22hours 45 mins...well chuffed. Out of 240 odd starters 20% dropped out. By the time I got to my bed Sunday morning I'd been up for 43 hours...no wonder I'd been hallucinating friendly bouncy rabbits beside me later on the Saturday. Fortunately an afternoon in the Clacaig inn on the sunday helped my recovery :-)

Well had the West Highland Way race on Saturday..man it was a toughie, 1am start so head torches until it got light overlooking Loch Lomond at 4:30...stunning...warm, muggy but dry all day and I finished with a time of 22hours 45 mins...well chuffed. Out of 240 odd starters 20% dropped out. By the time I got to my bed Sunday morning I'd been up for 43 hours...no wonder I'd been hallucinating friendly bouncy rabbits beside me later on the Saturday. Fortunately an afternoon in the Clacaig inn on the sunday helped my recovery :-)
    Massive respect!

I'd like to head towards Ultras. I really really need 8 hrs sleep a night to be a proper functioning human, wonder how Id cope with that...

Cheers, the good thing about ultras is the variety of the terrain and having to slow the pace somewhat..instead of chasing PBs finishing is all that really counts...the record for the WHW race is 13 hours 41 minutes...that really is incredible
    Last edited by Ellietwed; 25th June 2019 at 16:14.

Cheers, the good thing about ultras is the variety of the terrain and not having to slow the pace somewhat..instead of chasing PBs finishing is all that really counts...the record for the WHW race is 13 hours 41 minutes...that really is incredible
    Great to be on top of a big hill and be running as the sun come up for sure. Need to get back to marathons first and then see if I can progress

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Equus View Post
    Does anyone else really struggle to keep their recover runs slow enough? Im always aware of my tendancy to do an average run, not fast enough on fast days, not slow enough on slow days..
    Yes! I'm the same. Can't run very slow. I wanted to, to keep my heart rate low but really struggled to manage that and in the end gave up. I don't run very fast either.

I have the same problem with walking too - can't walk slowly. Annoys my family a lot.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I find more chaffing in the rain 
    A spot of vaseline usually does the trick for me.

Master
    Vaseline or something similar helps down there.

Embarrassing but I'll share anyway ... about 2 weeks ago my nipples bled quite badly while running a 10k. Heavy rain washed away my anti-chafing gel early on and after that the soaking wet t-shirt (and no it isn't a cotton shirt but a proper moisture removing type material) kept rubbing against them. I ordered NipEaze after that. Stayed in place throughout a 16k sweaty run on a warm & humid day and I am sure they can do much better than that.

Blog Entries
    5km blast today @ 5.09 pace

I’ve been up since 5am, driven for 240 miles and have had 3 quite intense meetings

Needed a blast…. Seasons best 5km@ 25.47

Will sleep well!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 26th June 2019 at 07:55.

Master
    Nearly 10 weeks without running now owing to a hamstring injury, so "stuck" on 97 Parkruns since mid-April. So annoying as running was going so well this year with times coming down (admittedly on 40 miles a week). Off to Romania for a race on Sunday, which having paid a ridiculous amount of money to enter, will just jog/cruise round.

Master
    Good work that man!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Nearly 10 weeks without running now owing to a hamstring injury, so "stuck" on 97 Parkruns since mid-April. So annoying as running was going so well this year with times coming down (admittedly on 40 miles a week). Off to Romania for a race on Sunday, which having paid a ridiculous amount of money to enter, will just jog/cruise round.
    What's the race?

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Yes! I'm the same. Can't run very slow. I wanted to, to keep my heart rate low but really struggled to manage that and in the end gave up. I don't run very fast either.

I have the same problem with walking too - can't walk slowly. Annoys my family a lot.
    I suppose the solution is to make the fast runs faster so the slow ones seem slower! Glad its not just me anyway..

Craftsman
    As the novice new boy to the running club the posts here always give me encouragement to keep at it.

7weeks in and managed my first non stop 30 min run and covered 3 and a half miles this morning.

Still having a few calf problems but much better than when I started ,calf rolling is helping.sky high heart rate while running is a bit of a concern...peaked at 177 which for a man nearing 52 scares me a bit I'm overdoing it?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    As the novice new boy to the running club the posts here always give me encouragement to keep at it.

7weeks in and managed my first non stop 30 min run and covered 3 and a half miles this morning.

Still having a few calf problems but much better than when I started ,calf rolling is helping.sky high heart rate while running is a bit of a concern...peaked at 177 which for a man nearing 52 scares me a bit I'm overdoing it?

With the caveat that I'm not a medical professional (!), mine peaks out around 190bpm when I'm working hard so 177 doesn't sound unusual

Craftsman
    With the caveat that I'm not a medical professional (!), mine peaks out around 190bpm when I'm working hard so 177 doesn't sound unusual
    I'm not sure either,but was told it's a max heartbeat of 220 minus your age as a maximum workout aim..how true I don't know.
    Maybe fine if I was in my 20s but more cautious at my age!

Master

What's the race?
    European Duathlon Championships in Romania. First time representing GB since Nice Triathlon World Championships in 1995!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    I'm not sure either,but was told it's a max heartbeat of 220 minus your age as a maximum workout aim..how true I don't know.
    Maybe fine if I was in my 20s but more cautious at my age!
    The 220 - Age formula may work for most but probably not accurate for everyone. I am 41.5 and have recorded peaks of 200+ occasionally and 190+ regularly. Even now, after improving my fitness significantly, my average is typically between 177 and 185. I was scared too and asked my physiotherapist (who specialises in running and running related injuries) about it. She told me not to worry about numbers and focus on what they call the "perceived rate of exertion" instead. Basically I took it as if I don't feel like I'm going to collapse during or after a run, I should be OK.

I would also add the same caveat as gcleminson: not a medical professional and just sharing my personal experience.

Master
    Improved my PB by over a minute today. 10.2 km in 48:44.

Master
    European Duathlon Championships in Romania. First time representing GB since Nice Triathlon World Championships in 1995!
    Awesome, just don't let the adrenaline take over and risk further injury :))

Pal of mine Ewan was on the GB Duathlon team a couple of years ago..

Improved my PB by over a minute today. 10.2 km in 48:44.
    Great work :)
    Last edited by gcleminson; 26th June 2019 at 17:34.

Outstanding!

6 miles for me at 8:55 pace, sort of tempo heart rate, sort of 1/2 marathon target heart rate, up a big hill 700 ft of elevation gain. Fastest Ive ever run that particular route which is always satisfying in your 40s..

The 220 - Age formula may work for most but probably not accurate for everyone. I am 41.5 and have recorded peaks of 200+ occasionally and 190+ regularly. Even now, after improving my fitness significantly, my average is typically between 177 and 185. I was scared too and asked my physiotherapist (who specialises in running and running related injuries) about it. She told me not to worry about numbers and focus on what they call the "perceived rate of exertion" instead. Basically I took it as if I don't feel like I'm going to collapse during or after a run, I should be OK.

I would also add the same caveat as gcleminson: not a medical professional and just sharing my personal experience.
    I’m not as far off as you but also have a max well over 220 - age. We’re probably the lucky ones, given training it’s surely a feature not a bug

Master
    I have a detailed health assessment coming up next month. This time I have selected a fitness test as part of it. The description talks about heart rate zones and fitness level. I am hoping it will tell me my actual max HR and fat burning vs fitness improving HR zones based on physical tests rather than just giving me the numbers based on generic formulae. I am also keen to find out my actual VO2Max (if included in the assessment) from an exercise based test and see how much it deviates from what my Polar H10 chest strapped HR monitor says.