closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    Looking at the above posts I realize what a complete novice I am!

4th run since starting back jogging last week and have gone from struggling to run half a mile to today's 1.5 miles without stopping in less than 9min pace.Planning on one more mile and half on Saturday then aiming for a 2mile next week.

Aim is 3m/5k within 6 weeks and sub 30mins.

Calf muscles are bloody sore tho!!
    Sounds like great progress! 1.5m to 5k in 6 weeks totally doable. Don’t worry too much about the time at the moment, it will happen.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Sounds like great progress! 1.5m to 5k in 6 weeks totally doable. Don’t worry too much about the time at the moment, it will happen.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

2nd time out on a different route,slightly hillier and slightly longer but these last 2 runs I have notice a lot more calf pain compared to my first few outings.Halfway round became painful,usually just sore after my runs.Maybe pushing too hard too quickly,going from half a mile to 1.7m in two weeks after not running for 25 yrs?

Not sure if its the incline/declines,quicker pace or longer runs,perhaps all 3 and maybe I need more than a days rest between runs,or likely just something novices have to go through,or poor running style?
    Anyway,its not putting me off,I like setting myself a goal and 5k sub 30min within 6 weeks is the plan!!

On a positive note the using the Garmin Vivoactive to track my progress and running to music is helping enormously,also purchasing some "proper" trainers!
    The knock on effect from running is I am drinking more water,eating better and have lost 4Ibs.

The Garmin is now my weekday daily wearer,and after being fairly dubious about smart watches I am now a convert!

Thanks for the encouragement!

2nd time out on a different route,slightly hillier and slightly longer but these last 2 runs I have notice a lot more calf pain compared to my first few outings.Halfway round became painful,usually just sore after my runs.Maybe pushing too hard too quickly,going from half a mile to 1.7m in two weeks after not running for 25 yrs?

Not sure if its the incline/declines,quicker pace or longer runs,perhaps all 3 and maybe I need more than a days rest between runs,or likely just something novices have to go through,or poor running style?
    Anyway,its not putting me off,I like setting myself a goal and 5k sub 30min within 6 weeks is the plan!!

On a positive note the using the Garmin Vivoactive to track my progress and running to music is helping enormously,also purchasing some "proper" trainers!
    The knock on effect from running is I am drinking more water,eating better and have lost 4Ibs.

The Garmin is now my weekday daily wearer,and after being fairly dubious about smart watches I am now a convert!
    Proper running shoes are a must! The pain could be the incline working different muscles more. I’d say listen to your body. If you feel like you need more rest between runs then that’s what you should do. Not worth injuring yourself pushing for a goal. Better to just give yourself an extra week or two to get to your target.

Good efforts though!

I’m going to go out later if I get time but might wait for it to cool down a bit...it’s hot out there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    Hi, thanks, its now 24 hours after my run and I am still in mild discomfort, there is definitely pressure sensitivity on the outside of the leg on the upper part of the joint.

BAsed on your experience, if it is ITB it is pleasing to hear that if managed it is part of the journey rather than end of the road!

Elsewhere I have been recommended a general knee health routine, which I will try to adopt https://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/...demonstration/
    How is your knee now, Snoop?

I took two weeks off, a few short treadmill runs this week with no pain, now hobbling and cussing in equal measure after this morning's Parkrun. Bah.

I have been doing the exercises on your link though (many thanks) - you seeing any improvement?

Not been out since Monday as I’ve been away in Spain , is it normal to be looking forward to getting my trainers back on tomorrow when I get home?!

Craftsman
    I’m running my first marathon in October and raising money for a charity close to my heart at the same time

I appreciate lots of people in this thread do similar and that the forum has its own fantastic fundraiser however I would be very grateful if anybody could spare some money to donate.

Lots of training on the way but I will make it as my daughters battle when born 2 months premature was a lot tougher than running 26.2 miles

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...term=G68gajnnG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    I’m running my first marathon in October and raising money for a charity close to my heart at the same time

I appreciate lots of people in this thread do similar and that the forum has its own fantastic fundraiser however I would be very grateful if anybody could spare some money to donate.

Lots of training on the way but I will make it as my daughters battle when born 2 months premature was a lot tougher than running 26.2 miles

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...term=G68gajnnG
    Well done and donated a token sum…. !

Just giving are a bit sneaky…. I noticed I paid £1 extra when it came through as I hadn’t seen that I had opt out of site donation - I would rather have given that £1 to you!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Well done and donated a token sum…. !

Just giving are a bit sneaky…. I noticed I paid £1 extra when it came through as I hadn’t seen that I had opt out of site donation - I would rather have given that £1 to you!
    Thank you - unfortunate about just giving!

Craftsman
    As this is the Running thread thought this may be of some help if anyone is looking for some Asics gear

https://outlet.asics.com/gb/en-gb/la...1=Men%7CUnisex

extra 20/30% discount when you have 3 items in your basket (doesn't seem to work with one or even two items for me).Even on items NOT in the 3 for 2 section it seems.
    Bought a couple of pairs of different trainers and added a cheap pair of socks as a 3rd item to get the discount.Didn't seem to matter if it was from the last chance section,3 for 2 or men's/women's sections,discount worked with a mix of offers.

Some/most of it is older stock ie (gel kayano 24) for £70 and the gel sonoma 3 for £30 after discount,some of the stuff can be found cheaper elsewhere even with the discount added,some is in limited sizes,you may need to do a bit of digging.

Also check the sizing,ordered the 9s in the gel sonoma 3 and run a little small,but free deliver and returns if there is any problems.No idea how long this is on but hope it helps someone!!

So I've continued to lose weight and continued to do some running. Did a treadmill session and got through 10k in 51 mins so I guess my 5k times will be around 24 mins or less. Aim is Sub 20 mins 5k but I'll need to keep losing weight

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    So I've continued to lose weight and continued to do some running. Did a treadmill session and got through 10k in 51 mins so I guess my 5k times will be around 24 mins or less. Aim is Sub 20 mins 5k but I'll need to keep losing weight

That is an astonishing improvement - 24 mins would be top 30 at my local Parkrun (20 mins puts you 7th).

Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    That is an astonishing improvement - 24 mins would be top 30 at my local Parkrun (20 mins puts you 7th).
    Cheers although that was on a treadmill. I'd imagine running in the wild to be somewhat different but I am pleased with the improvement given the fact in January I was over 20 stone (6 foot tall) with Type 2 diabetes and today after having been on the ketogenic diet since 4th Jan I'm 15 and a half stone (and still losing nearly a stone a month), with diabetes in remission and smashing 10k runs. In fact 'pleased' is an understatement :)

Craftsman
    Well done Ryan!
    10k is still far beyond me!!

I've gone from c25k tonight on my 10th run in the last 4 weeks but it was bloody painful on my calves!

3 runs a week was too much so now doing 2 a week as just too painful otherwise.Must say the flight socks I wore tonight help me push on the final mile when the pain cut in.

Blog Entries
    Cracking effort, well done Ryan.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Anybody been going out in this weather?

This particular snowflake hasn’t run since Saturday !

Nope, last out Sunday for Brit Mil Fit session. Am feeling a bit guilty!

Blog Entries

Skipped Monday as it lashed it down all day.
    Managed 5km on Tuesday.
    Hope to get another 5km in tonight.
    ...& footy on Friday

z

Did my first run since 2003 on Monday. Managed 38:05 of constant running which was two laps of a route I made up. With warm up and warm down I was out for nearly an hour. I intend to do the same tonight. I'd forgotten how awesome post run endorphins feel!

Blog Entries

TZUK Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I intend to do the same tonight. I'd forgotten how awesome post run endorphins feel!
    What are these endorphins you talk of ?

My usual post run experience is lots of sweat & a few achy joints...

Do I need to push harder ?

z

Craftsman
    I did a 5k last Friday got soaked, 5km Monday got soaked, and 5km today got wet but not soaked, bonus.

Looking better weather for next week, and might even see the sun, which hasn't happened since last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    What are these endorphins you talk of ?

My usual post run experience is lots of sweat & a few achy joints...

Do I need to push harder ?

z
    Really?? After any such exercise I'm high for an hour or so! I did same run as Monday last night (38:15) and got the same post run high :-). I did get achy muscles on Wednesday but nothing to worry about. I do need to get some decent trainers. Road running is really heavy impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    I did a 5k last Friday got soaked, 5km Monday got soaked, and 5km today got wet but not soaked, bonus.

Looking better weather for next week, and might even see the sun, which hasn't happened since last weekend.
    I get so hot during a run that I find the rain actually helps keep me cool. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that?

Craftsman
    I get so hot during a run that I find the rain actually helps keep me cool. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that?
    I definately agree it's cooler running in the rain, it's also miserable and hard going as far as I'm concerned, I'd always prefer the early morning sun.

I find more chaffing in the rain 😳

Just been out for a 5k. Was pushing quite hard so took some pauses on way around. Recorded total time of 27:05 for 5k but my actual running time was 22:10 for 5.17k. Happy with that and would like to build up to sub 22min 5k without pauses!

4 miles quietly for me in the usual current torrential rain! Kielder half marathon for me in October, plus tring to recover from a bout of ill health last year

Charlie

I find more chaffing in the rain 😳
    No pants + Nike running shorts helps to greatly reduce this.

12 1/2 rather slowly but with lots of big hills for me

Craftsman
    Brutal but beautiful run for me this morning - Offas Dyke 15 mile trail race with over 700m of climbing!

Blog Entries
    8.5km today at a steady pace after a brief hiatus

Another parkrun for me yesterday and another one slower than the week before.
    Old, fat, unfit and basically just a sum of all my injuries ever from running, mountainbiking (badly) and skiing (badly).
    If I try to run further or more often an old injury comes back. If I try to run faster I get new injuries.
    It's all bollocks.
    Self-indulgent, pointless grumble over.
    Move along.
    Enjoy your running.
    (like I used to)

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Brutal but beautiful run for me this morning - Offas Dyke 15 mile trail race with over 700m of climbing!
    Excellent way to start the day! Hills are Gods way of stopping you having to do intervals..

Aiming to get out for 15 miles or so this avo; aim for 25 on Wednesday - ramping it up slowly for this summer's target race

Chafing - pre-emptive vaseline on the hot spots and I carry a small tin for top ups. Ultras are one of the few places you'll regularly see grown adults smearing their unmentionables with lubricant in broad daylight without getting arrested.
    Last edited by Megatron; 16th June 2019 at 10:20.

Craftsman
    10km this morning with full focus on form rather than pace. I think I needed that. Relatively discomfort free, confirming my poor form was the issue giving me discomfort.

Guys, I'm after some running related advice so I hope it's ok to post on this thread.

I've got back into running again after a very long break (over 10 years). I'm not planning on doing a marathon or anything, this is just to stay trim and maintain / improve my health. I plan to do around 40 minutes twice per week.

Anyway, I need some decent trainers so on Sunday I went into Sports Direct and ended up leaving with a pair of Adidas Ultraboost 19s (£125). I was in a bit of a rush (as ever) but having got them home I have a few reservations. Firstly, my left foot is bigger than my right. The left shoe fits well but the right shoe is ever so slightly loose at the heel. It doesn't move around but it is certainly not a snug fit. Secondly, the shoes are 'neutral' but all my other shoes indicate that my feet are not neutral. If I look at my current shoes from the back, the left shoe is worn down on the left side (outer) at the heel and the reverse on the right (ie the right shoe is warn down on the right). What does this mean and does it make a 'neutral' shoe unsuitable for me?

I think I am going to take them back for a refund as its a lot to spend when I'm not 100%. Any alternative trainer recommendations would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Guys, I'm after some running related advice so I hope it's ok to post on this thread.

I've got back into running again after a very long break (over 10 years). I'm not planning on doing a marathon or anything, this is just to stay trim and maintain / improve my health. I plan to do around 40 minutes twice per week.

Anyway, I need some decent trainers so on Sunday I went into Sports Direct and ended up leaving with a pair of Adidas Ultraboost 19s (£125). I was in a bit of a rush (as ever) but having got them home I have a few reservations. Firstly, my left foot is bigger than my right. The left shoe fits well but the right shoe is ever so slightly loose at the heel. It doesn't move around but it is certainly not a snug fit. Secondly, the shoes are 'neutral' but all my other shoes indicate that my feet are not neutral. If I look at my current shoes from the back, the left shoe is worn down on the left side (outer) at the heel and the reverse on the right (ie the right shoe is warn down on the right). What does this mean and does it make a 'neutral' shoe unsuitable for me?

I think I am going to take them back for a refund as its a lot to spend when I'm not 100%. Any alternative trainer recommendations would be most welcome.

Thanks!
    I wouldn’t go to Sports Direct, they lack the knowledge.

Go to a proper running shop like runners need or ASICS and let them analyse you gait etc and advise on the best type of shoes for you. If you don’t you’ll end up with injuries.

I wouldn’t go to Sports Direct, they lack the knowledge.

Go to a proper running shop like runners need or ASICS and let them analyse you gait etc and advise on the best type of shoes for you. If you don’t you’ll end up with injuries.
    Seconded. Good trainers are vital

Master
    I currently use a pair of Saucony Ride ISO at work and Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 at home. I rate this Saucony much higher than Pegasus, mostly for the excellent cushioning.

Master
    In a moment of madness, I decided to run all the way home after work on Friday. Now my usual 'long' runs are around 10.5 km and the most I have ever done is 11.5 km. I had done a 10.5 km run the day before too so rather stupid to not let my knees rest but hopefully no harm done. Office to home was around 16.2 km and took me 1:37:25 because there were a few walking intervals involved due to tourist/shopper filled streets as well as some brutal uphill sections on the way.

3miles recovery for me. Didnt get rained on!

TZUK Running Club

Thanks!
    There is a lot of smoke and mirrors around shoes - best evidence shows that you should buy ones that feel
    comfortable to run in rather than anything else. There is increasing evidence that altering your "natural" running style by changing your gait and stride could potentially generate injuries - everyone's biomechanics are unique and I wouldn't advise changing them necessarily - you were born to run in a certain individual way that is unique to you. This is backed up by my sports physio who is a running specialist (I see her to keep my legs conditioned)

As for shoe wear - my left foot is bigger than my right and my left leg is slightly longer than my right - it causes me to wear the inside of my right shoe more than anywhere else due to an uneven stride; but I manage to run up to 105 miles and it's not an issue.

I buy shoes that fit my bigger foot and if needed you can double sock the smaller foot or get a neutral insole to take up the space.

Running on a treadmill isn't a good way to test shoe comfort IMO.

Everyone is different so what works for me may not work for you - and it doesn't matter what the cost of the shoe is; comfort is key. A good shop will
    let you test a few ideally by running around the block a few times.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Megatron; 17th June 2019 at 17:08.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be taking them back and look again on the weekend.

I did my usual run last night but pushed a little and got it down to 36'40. I roughly estimate my distance to be just over 3 miles (based on car odometer reading over part of the route). Not breaking any records am I?

Not breaking any records am I?
    The thing I like about running is that I only need race against myself!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be taking them back and look again on the weekend.

I did my usual run last night but pushed a little and got it down to 36'40. I roughly estimate my distance to be just over 3 miles (based on car odometer reading over part of the route). Not breaking any records am I?
    At least you are out there,doing it..and you are running for longer than I am! Great stuff!

Pretty much in the same position as you,back running after a very looong layoff.Similar as you,not looking to do more than 30 mins or 5k twice a week but who knows where it will lead to in 6 months?

5 weeks in,still having calf problems stiffness etc but sticking with it.

Its been trial and error with the footwear, (3 pairs tried) finally found a pair of Asics Roadhawk FF which suit and were cheap enough in a sale,not sure £125 trainers would make much of a different to a novice like myself really.Been wearing compression socks,which help,but the biggest motivator (and some days I need motivating) has been a gps running watch which gives me all the info I need (distance and pace) and has helped me set goals and really was a great purchase.As I run on my own it is my virtual training partner which helps me keep gong when I'm knackered!

Especially when I push too hard and my heart rate goes through the roof....

Good luck with the shoe hunt.

Master
    Consistency is the key I think. When I started 2 years ago, I was taking 35 minutes to complete 5k. Without even trying to improve, I got it under 30 mins in a few weeks and then slowly but gradually to 28 mins after many months.

Few months ago I actually started thinking about what I was doing and following advice to be a better runner. I was quickly able to bring it under 25 mins and the improvement is continuing.

5 weeks in,still having calf problems stiffness etc but sticking with it.
    Re the above, roll your calves on a firm foam roller. Painful if enough pressure applied and done correctly but it provides relief to stiff calf muscles after a run, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Consistency is the key I think. When I started 2 years ago, I was taking 35 minutes to complete 5k. Without even trying to improve, I got it under 30 mins in a few weeks and then slowly but gradually to 28 mins after many months.

Few months ago I actually started thinking about what I was doing and following advice to be a better runner. I was quickly able to bring it under 25 mins and the improvement is continuing.

Re the above, roll your calves on a firm foam roller. Painful if enough pressure applied and done correctly but it provides relief to stiff calf muscles after a run, in my experience.
    Can you share any of the advice?

My quickest 5k time is 22min with pauses and 24:48 continuous running but I’d like to improve consistency.

Master
    Can you share any of the advice?
    The advice was specific to me as a lot was (and still is) wrong with my running technique and posture but here is some of it:

- I used to walk/run leaning very slightly backwards. Puts unnecessary strain on the knees and the glutes share much less of the burden than they should. Apparently this is the main reason why I keep picking up knee injuries. I was told to walk/run leaning forward but only slightly. Very difficult to correct this as it is a decades-long habit. Also, when I overdo this (i.e. lean forward more than I should) while running, I get a bit of lower back pain. Not easy to strike the right balance.

- I was too bouncy which increases the impact, especially as I run on the pavements. Not good for knees and feet. It also wastes an astonishing amount of energy. The impact thing should have been obvious but I wasn't thinking about it. The energy bit was a revelation ... when I started limiting the "up/down" movement, I could immediately notice it was taking longer for fatigue to kick in as each stride was more efficient.

- I used to "run on a tight rope" i.e. feet stepping inwards, almost one foot in front of the other. Unnecessary strain on the IT band, causing pain on the outside of knees. Again, not easy to correct but I was told the best way to keep feet going straight was to keep hand/arm movement as straight as possible along the sides as opposed to arms crossing or hands coming close to each other in front of the body. Think Daniel Craig running on the streets of London (Skyfall?).

Craftsman
    . Think Daniel Craig running on the streets of London (Skyfall?).

I'll settle for forest gump if I could do the same mileage...

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Master
    When I first started Park Run it took me 30 mins to complete. I've now managed to get it down to 21.40 last week and came 109th out of 1000 or so runners. I know I can get sub 20 within the next year. I run every day, often for 3 miles and with intervals or long runs at the weekend. I never thought I'd be classed as a runner but now I run anything from 5k to marathons and later this year ultras. Like others have said consistency is the key and remember to enjoy the journey.

4 miles yesterday, 4 today, 8:50m/m ish. Having a quiet week with no fastwork after quite a tough one last week