closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 1553

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Craftsman
    20 miler today at 10.18 pace. Few miles of trails, mostly road. Felt great and had a nice gentle walkies at the park afterwards. Feet up and taper to the Marathon now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    20 miler today at 10.18 pace. Few miles of trails, mostly road. Felt great and had a nice gentle walkies at the park afterwards. Feet up and taper to the Marathon now.
    Well done that’s a big box ticked.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Two weeks until my debut half marathon with my daughter, and the niggling injuries have raised their heads. Me - metatarsalgia, her - shin splints. We’ll get through it but it’s a pain in the arse.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Buggar.

Drop a pm for the pitch shin spilt sort out. I suffered bad 4 years ago.

Pitch

Master
    Still going, managing mostly a couple of runs a week (bear in mind cycling is my thing!).

Pushed it up to 6k in 32ish minutes in the last week and hopefully will keep upping the distance a bit, ideally so I can do a 10k event at some point.

Today was supposed to a 70 miler bike ride but failed to get up in time, wiped out from a 400 mile round trip to the Legends game at Anfield yesterday. So I did a 6k run and then a 35k bike ride after, legs are a bit sore now TBF!

I have half an eye on another half, but I keep getting thwarted on that so I'm not going to get carried away for now.

I’ve returned to running after a 6 year hiatus. I’ve got nothing but praise for the Runna app. I embarked on their couch to 5k plan which got me out again with ease. That was 7-8 months ago, I’m now running 5 - 8 miles per run @ 8:20 - 9:20/min mile pace, with some shorter speed sessions mixed in.

This time I’m running for pleasure and am taking things steadier to avoid injury. It’s a god send for my well-being and weight management.

Does anyone use a running belt, if so, which brand do you use and why?

I’m conscious that the warmer weather is not that far away and on some of the longer runs I intend to do (10 - 12 milers) I’ll need some hydration and electrolytes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    I’m conscious that the warmer weather is not that far away and on some of the longer runs I intend to do (10 - 12 milers) I’ll need some hydration and electrolytes.
    I have a running belt with 2 small drinks bottles that I got from Decathalon. I prefer this to the ones that hold a 500ml bidon. Out of choice I prefer not to wear a belt, so tend to carry and hide on route a water bottle whether I am doing an out and back or a small circular route.

When I started running there weren't even water stations on half marathons - just water when you finished. Not like now when even in a 10k there are a series of drinks stations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    I have a SpiBelt https://www.spibelt.co.uk/ which you can buy with small plastic bottles that clip on to it. The pouch and belt are elastic and adjust to contents and waist. It also has loops to hold gels. I have used it in races up to marathons (minus the bottle) to hold gels and other small things and never had a gel fall out of the loop. It’s comfortable to wear for long durations and I didn’t really notice it. There are a few variants and you can get it from Amazon too so shop around.

Recently I got this one https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/...se-belt---ss24 and it can hold quite a lot of stuff securely. Again elastic so expands for contents. For hydration you can put soft collapsible flasks front and back. The only issue is putting the bottle/flask back after drinking is a bit of a faff while running so not ideal if you sip often. I put my gels and a soft flask in it for my longest training run this year and didn’t really notice the belt. Only needed one 500ml flask because a half marathon race was included in my run and I got water along the course for that part. If you do go for this one, make sure to go up a size or two. Their sizing info is wrong.

When I need more than 500ml I use a hydration vest with front pockets for soft flasks. Annoying but makes sipping easier on the run.

I use a vest rather than a belt. Personally, I find belts bounce around too much and I find them distracting. The vest I have holds two 500mls of water, plys has various pockets for keys and gels etc. Wearing it, I don't really know it's there.

No running today, as me and the eldest both volunteered at parkrun instead. If you haven't had a go at volunteering, give it a go as it's very rewarding and I loved seeing everybody from the leading pack through to the tailwalkers at the back. We were at the halfway turn round stage, and once the leaders had gone, just about everybody else gives you a "thank you marshall" or similar. Beautiful day for it today, unlike last week which was a bastard.

Master
    I use a vest rather than a belt. Personally, I find belts bounce around too much and I find them distracting. The vest I have holds two 500mls of water, plys has various pockets for keys and gels etc. Wearing it, I don't really know it's there.
    Agree with vests for 2 x 500ml (or more) because that would be too much for belts. But for less than that, the 2 belts I linked don't bounce. With the Salomon one, I was worried a few times that I had dropped the 500ml soft flask from the back pocket as I couldn't feel it. Hydration vest also chafes my neck/collar bone when wearing a vest/singlet in the summer but there is no better alternative when I need more hydration on a long hot run so I stick tape on friction points to minimise chafing.
    Last edited by FK77; 30th March 2024 at 13:25.

Master
    Folks some of you will have seen my post a month back in which I aired my idea of doing the Run 62 miles in March for Cancer Research.
    Well I ended up going for it and today crossed the line.
    I’ve been in and out of running over the last 20 yrs and have to say that it’s been my hardest return to running. It’s a year since I last put the shoes on, I’ve always been able to come back fairly easily to 10k distance but always with a few days rest. I must say running most days is a different thing.
    This last few runs has been hard albeit relatively low miles.

I’ve raised about £400 for the charity and with a bit of rest intend to stick at it.

Master
    ^^ well done, great effort for a great cause!

I did a local 5 mile race yesterday, last run before my local half marathon next week. Over the line in 34:40, which is as fast as I’ve ever gone at the distance

Blog Entries
    Well done all and yes, PR volunteering is great. I’m fortunate to know many who do our local and it’s great supporting and hurling abuse in equal amounts, all in jest of course.

I’ve used a flipbelt for years for jels and iPhone when I run on my own.

https://flipbelt.co.uk/

Hydration……. I prefer a vest, I have a lightweight one which takes 2x 500ml bladders. I also know where fountains are to work in with runs or pop a quid in my pocket to buy a bottle en-route when not using a vest.

Pitch

Craftsman

TZUK Running Club

Ran Dolgellau Parkrun on Saturday as we’’ had booked a few days in Porthmadog for a little getaway. An out and back twice which I quite like for timing purposes, but it was quite narrow for the unusually large attendance they had this week.
    I also managed my first 15k run last week while continuing to build up to hopefully attempt a half marathon later this year. All in all a good weeks running for me.

Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    Ran Dolgellau Parkrun on Saturday as we’’ had booked a few days in Porthmadog for a little getaway. An out and back twice which I quite like for timing purposes, but it was quite narrow for the unusually large attendance they had this week.
    I also managed my first 15k run last week while continuing to build up to hopefully attempt a half marathon later this year. All in all a good weeks running for me.

I was in Porthmadog a couple of weeks ago and wanted to do Dolgellau but couldn’t make the timings work. They should base one in Barmouth incorporating the bridge, that would be epic.

My parents live near Dolgellau so I've done that one a couple of times when we've been staying with them. It's quite busy during holiday season, I think, and it is a bit narrow with larger attendance.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I’m not a runner but my son who has just turned 16 is, although he only really took it up about a year ago.

His 5k parkrun time last weekend in Bedford was 17:37 (he came in first out of about 400 runners) and this coming Saturday if he gets over his cold he is going to attempt the Woolacombe 5k one - apparently in the toughest top two in the country (the other being Great Yarmouth I believe).

Anyone done this one and have any tips?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    My parents live near Dolgellau so I've done that one a couple of times when we've been staying with them. It's quite busy during holiday season, I think, and it is a bit narrow with larger attendance.
    It's my favourite part of the world, would like to retire round there one day.

No running today, as me and the eldest both volunteered at parkrun instead. If you haven't had a go at volunteering, give it a go as it's very rewarding...
    Yep...
    Timekeeper 47
    Token Sorting 2
    Photographer 1
    Marshal 79
    Pre-event Setup 15
    Barcode Scanning 35
    Finish Tokens 10
    First Timers Welcome 9
    Funnel Manager 2
    Finish Token Support 1
    Tail Walker 8
    Pacer (5k only) 1
    Warm Up Leader 1
    Event Day Course Check 9
    parkwalker 2
    Total Credits 175

Approx 135 of those are at the local junior parkrun which is equally (perhaps more?) rewarding. Of the rest they're split pretty evenly between roles that allow me to also get a run credit (e.g. tailwalker) and those that don't. I had (and hit) a target of 50+ parkruns in 2023 so am trying to do a bit more 'non-running' volunteering this year.
    Anyway, running... I've been taking it easy for the last couple of weeks after an ECG at a routine health check found some 'anomalies'. Apparently I'm not in immediate risk and I've got a cardiology consultation on Thursday morning but I haven't felt the urge to go flat out and test things. So I had a gentle plod round the beautiful Fountains Abbey parkrun taking photos as I ran: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tc4VKvEzkQUTC4Lk7. Then this Saturday I was at Hastings High School parkrun which isn't in Hastings and is laps of a school playing field and through the school complex - less of a destination parkrun but I needed to be in the area for a family visit and I needed the event # for my Wilson Index.

Blimey, that's seriously impressive! I've only been doing parkrun since January so have got a bit of catching up to do. I'm always going to try to volunteer if I'm not running though.

One of the runners at our local run (Rutland Water) was doing his 400th run on Sunday, and he's made a [slightly cheesy] video for it. You can see my daughter at the 4 minute mark of the video, as we were marshalling at the turning point. That's me shouting a few words of encouragement. It shows what a lovely scenic run Rutland is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPsyszRqcx8

Blog Entries
    Great laugh tonight at our WVAC training session on Lowestoft seafront, a fun one.

Predict a time to do the Lowestoft Parkrun course and run it naked, no not that, with no watch.

Winner was 1 second out and last place 1:15 out. I went for an easy 26 minute and finished in 25:45. 25 of the 26 training tonight were all within 37 seconds. Amazing how close everyone was.

Give it a go.

Pitch

So 6 weeks back into running after a gap of about 10 years and 3 stone. Broke 30min 5k last weekend, aiming at under 25mins by the summer.

Lost just under 2 stone since November

Used to be ok at running when I was playing rugby at a decent level. If you couldn't run 5k in under 20 mins you didn't get picked, but really struggle with my knees since, now 51 and trying to get slightly better without getting frustrated that I'm not as good as I used to be, in my mind I should be!!!

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Great laugh tonight at our WVAC training session on Lowestoft seafront, a fun one.

Predict a time to do the Lowestoft Parkrun course and run it naked, no not that, with no watch.

Winner was 1 second out and last place 1:15 out. I went for an easy 26 minute and finished in 25:45. 25 of the 26 training tonight were all within 37 seconds. Amazing how close everyone was.

Give it a go.

Pitch
    There are two local running clubs near me who do something similar (without watches). The serious club (who I ran with when I was a serious runner) do it on Boxing Day over the course of a local race and award a club London Marathon place to whoever gets closest to their predicted time (winner doesn't have to take the marathon place but it gets passed down the line until it finds someone who wants it). The more social club (who I run with now) set an off-road course - different every year (but always involving touching a local hilltop folly) and only revealed to the runners at the start. Runners then have to predict their time and set off. Every meets back at the pub for pie and chips which is free for the closest to their predicted time. I think the marshals might get free pie and chips too or maybe just a free pint.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    There are two local running clubs near me who do something similar (without watches). The serious club (who I ran with when I was a serious runner) do it on Boxing Day over the course of a local race and award a club London Marathon place to whoever gets closest to their predicted time (winner doesn't have to take the marathon place but it gets passed down the line until it finds someone who wants it). The more social club (who I run with now) set an off-road course - different every year (but always involving touching a local hilltop folly) and only revealed to the runners at the start. Runners then have to predict their time and set off. Every meets back at the pub for pie and chips which is free for the closest to their predicted time. I think the marshals might get free pie and chips too or maybe just a free pint.
    Always a winner with a pub or cake at the end of a sesh.

Pitch

Always a winner with a pub or cake at the end of a sesh.

Pitch
    They also organise a fell race that starts and finishes in the yard of the local brewery. Every finisher gets a bowl of chilli (beef or vegan) and a pint of bitter (or non-alcoholic option). I've never run it but have marshalled twice and got free chilli and beer.

And my last comment on this subject will be about the Marple Beer Run (unless I've mentioned it here before). I've done this a few times but it's basically run 1km, drink a pint from a local brewery, run another km, drink a pint from a different local brewery, run another km, drink a pint from yet another local brewery, run a km to finish at a pub where you can peel a sticker off the back of the medal and swap for a pint sitting in the sun* with opportunities to buy more drinks and food from a couple of stalls. Definitely one to get the train to/from.

(*sun not guaranteed in Marple but has always been out when I've done it)

Blog Entries
    Love these ones. The beer run on the seafront here is drink a pint run the mile and drink another pint. Funny.

Didn’t train last night so only at 11 miles this week. The early kickoff in local derby means no Parkrun as well so must get out this afternoon.

Pitch

Anyone else doing the regent 10k
    Leamington spa this Sunday morning?

Off down to London tomorrow for our first half marathon on Sunday. Bit nervous but also looking forward to it.

Blog Entries
    Nope on the Lemmington Spa for me, sun is shining so bronzing....... Have fun.

Good luck for Sunday in London buddy, you will be absolutely fine. Don't start to quick, nice and gentle and importably enjoy it. There is plenty of time to start smashing PB's.

Pitch

Cheers fella! Yes, just going to try to enjoy the day. Not looking forward to the forecast 45mph winds, which seem to be in place for the exact duration of the race!

Craftsman
    I was in Porthmadog a couple of weeks ago and wanted to do Dolgellau but couldn’t make the timings work. They should base one in Barmouth incorporating the bridge, that would be epic.
    Don’t think I’ve ever been to Barmouth, maybe I’ll take a look when I plan to do Aberystwyth Parkrun.

If you’re ever near Porthmadog again I’d highly recommend the hour drive to Newborough Forrest Parkrun on Anglesey. It was definitely my favourite of the North Wales locations. I actually plan to re-visit when the weather picks up so I can spend the day there with my wife and daughter.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Yes it is. They had record numbers on Saturday too, 30 more than their previous best at 174 runners.

Yes it is. They had record numbers on Saturday too, 30 more than their previous best at 174 runners.

Blimey, I think there were about a hundred when I was there in August and that was a lot for them!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Don’t think I’ve ever been to Barmouth, maybe I’ll take a look when I plan to do Aberystwyth Parkrun.

If you’re ever near Porthmadog again I’d highly recommend the hour drive to Newborough Forrest Parkrun on Anglesey. It was definitely my favourite of the North Wales locations. I actually plan to re-visit when the weather picks up so I can spend the day there with my wife and daughter.

I've been going to Barmouth and Harlech for 40 odd years since i was a little kid, it was and still is to some extent, the seaside resort of choice for Brummies. The harbour area and the bridge, overlooked by Cader Idris, are jaw-droppingly beautiful like most of the area.

Craftsman
    I've been going to Barmouth and Harlech for 40 odd years since i was a little kid, it was and still is to some extent, the seaside resort of choice for Brummies. The harbour area and the bridge, overlooked by Cader Idris, are jaw-droppingly beautiful like most of the area.
    I’m a little disappointed I missed the opportunity to take the Barmouth/Harlech road back to Porthmadog while I was down there now.
    I’m going to have a look for a few nights in the area for summer time. Thanks for the info.

Craftsman
    Knowsley Parkrun for me yesterday as I was working in St Helens.
    It is two laps, mostly on decent paths ,about 800m across a boggy field and total elevation of 42m. Not the easiest so was happy to roll in just under 28 minutes.

I did the Shrewsbury parkrun yesterday.

I was born there and go back regularly as my mum still lives there but I’ve never done it . I have tried the last few times I’ve been up but the course was flooded.

650 people ran it yesterday so the largest I’ve done. I started mid pack to be cautious but should have started closer to the front.

But I did pass a load of people and still got a fairly good time of 21:52. I’ll be closer to the front next time!

Blog Entries
    Well done with Parkrun’s yesterday and good luck all those racing today.

Pitch

Craftsman
    What’s your Parkrun or 5k PB?

I know I’ll be down the leaderboard here but I’m curious to how quick you guys are for the shorter distance of 5k.

Copy/paste yourself in if you would like to share.

1, M3NTALIST. 24:58. Nov 2023.

Master
    My local half marathon today, got in at 1:34:16

Blustery conditions but not actually as bad as I feared. Sore now…

Parkrun pb is 23:41

Did my first ever half today, London Landmarks. Took it easy as I was running with my daughter who has been suffering from shin splints. Got round in 2:12 as we just wanted her to finish and also take in the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    My local half marathon today, got in at 1:34:16

Blustery conditions but not actually as bad as I feared. Sore now…
    Decent time. Well done.
    I did a 10k race this morning as well tough conditions

Master

I know I’ll be down the leaderboard here but I’m curious to how quick you guys are for the shorter distance of 5k.

S1wnw 23:22 Dec 2023

Blog Entries
    Parkrun pb is 23:41

Did my first ever half today, London Landmarks. Took it easy as I was running with my daughter who has been suffering from shin splints. Got round in 2:12 as we just wanted her to finish and also take in the atmosphere.

Well done dad and daughter, must have been fantastic. Out of our three (two boys and a gal) Becca is the only one that runs, although Hyrox is now her thing, and always enjoy running with her. Never raced together, that must be special.

Well done again buddy.

Pitch

Blog Entries

Pitch Parkrun PB - 21:52 - June 2023.

Sub 22 was a project for me and I would dearly love to drop 21 but at 58 I think that is going to take some doing for me.

In July last year I managed 21:48 at the Wroxham 5k.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Well done all with your 10k’s and half marathons at the weekend, looks like you all did amazing, truly inspiring as I’m building towards my first attempt at a half marathon in the autumn.

Blog Entries
    Well done all with your 10k’s and half marathons at the weekend, looks like you all did amazing, truly inspiring as I’m building towards my first attempt at a half marathon in the autumn.

With your PR time you will have a great HM, just build lots of ‘slow’ miles initially with some small target pace intervals. Then just build.

Check this site out their plans are superb.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/half...ng-plan-guide/

Oh, and you are the self voted in PR compliance list manager. LOL.

Pitch

Well done dad and daughter, must have been fantastic. Out of our three (two boys and a gal) Becca is the only one that runs, although Hyrox is now her thing, and always enjoy running with her. Never raced together, that must be special.

Well done again buddy.

Pitch
    Yep it was a superb weekend all round. Up to a week ago we weren't sure if she was going to be able to do it at all, and if she was, whether we'd run separately or not. But thanks to a superb sports physio near us, plus lots of good advice from lovely people including your very good self, we got her shin splints under control, and she was fine. I'd say it's more a course for enjoying the sights, actually enjoying running a half and taking in the atmosphere than trying to get a PB.

First one out of the way now though. My daughter's going to take it easy for a ehile as she's got her A Levels next month and into June, so we'll probably just do a parkrun and 10K each week. On top of that, I'm going to work on my 5K time, with the aim of getting from my current PB of 23:41 to as close to 22:00 as I can.

Thanks again for the encouragement and shin splint advice mate, we're both very grateful.

Craftsman
    Oh, and you are the self voted in PR compliance list manager. LOL.

Pitch
    Oh balls, lol.

PS, thanks for the advice and training plan link, that one looks a lot more doable than the one I’ve been looking at.

Craftsman
    Parkrun/5km PB’s

Pitch 21:48 Jul 2023
    S1wnw 23:22 Dec 2023
    Space Traveller 23:41
    M3NTALIST 24:58 Nov 2023