TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 1535

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Master
    Thanks! I’ll have a look

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    I might need to take this up, my joints don’t really like road running much these days - any trail running shoe suggestions?
    I love my Speedgoat Evos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Lovely day to up the miles and building base. Spring is in the air.

Pitch

Master
    Just bought a pair of Hoka Carbon X at £112 inc postage, and on a first run, certainly feel good

https://www.run4it.com/hoka-one-one/hoka-carbon-x

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Just bought a pair of Hoka Carbon X at £112 inc postage, and on a first run, certainly feel good

https://www.run4it.com/hoka-one-one/hoka-carbon-x
    Good price. I spent £144 on these last summer after a 10% discount.

Keep an eye on the soles for creasing though. They don’t last long. I got knee and foot pain and never thought it would be because of these. Kept checking my other pairs which had done far bigger distances. When I finally checked these at around 250km mark, found clear signs of compression and realised these were the reason. I only use them now when I am short of time and can do no more than 5km.

Super lightweight but not suitable for me due to my poor biomechanics. I need well-cushioned shoes for all my runs, which sadly means heavy shoes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Keep an eye on the soles for creasing though. They don’t last long. I got knee and foot pain and never thought it would be because of these. Kept checking my other pairs which had done far bigger distances. When I finally checked these at around 250km mark, found clear signs of compression and realised these were the reason. I only use them now when I am short of time and can do no more than 5km.
    Thanks - I will prob just use them for races on the flat tarmac at such as Windsor/Eton Dorney or Bedford airfields, so give them a bit more longevity. For every day running I have 2 pairs of Asics on rotation, along with a pair of Salomon for trails.

Master
    Thanks - I will prob just use them for races on the flat tarmac at such as Windsor/Eton Dorney or Bedford airfields, so give them a bit more longevity. For every day running I have 2 pairs of Asics on rotation, along with a pair of Salomon for trails.
    Yep, that's exactly what Carbon X are for - race days. I didn't notice much of a difference in pace running in them btw. Perhaps only slightly quicker due to being light but then I am too inexperienced to feel any extra push the carbon plate may have provided. For amateurs like me, they aren't going to do any wonders but you are in a different league so they may help you.

I have learnt that for me, it needs to be a plush, generously cushioned shoe (e.g. Saucony Triumph) for long runs and a "compromise" shoe i.e. reasonably cushioned but not too heavy (e.g. Saucony Ride) for faster runs. Minimalist shoes aren't for me sadly. Not yet anyway.

I have recently bought a pair of Hoka Bondi 7 for long runs as both my Saucony Triumph 17 pairs are nearing 800km. First 2 runs in them, the top of the sole's edge starts piercing into my left arch after 7-8 km. Second was a HM so my foot almost bled by the end of it. Adjusted the insole a bit and last 10k run in them was absolutely fine.

Bought a pair of Saucony Ride 13 at the same time and they are superb as always. I may sound like I am on commission from Saucony but they just suit me very well.

SydR

TZUK Running Club

I’m back running after fracturing my pelvis, in three places, and my time for 5k needs a bit of work. Managing 24.30 which is a few minutes off my PB and slower than my pre crash half marathon pace.

Any tips on how to increase pace?

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    I’m back running after fracturing my pelvis, in three places, and my time for 5k needs a bit of work. Managing 24.30 which is a few minutes off my PB and slower than my pre crash half marathon pace.

Any tips on how to increase pace?
    I'll tell you what worked for me. Twice a week I would embark on a 4-mike run, alternating between running at 80-90% effort until my lungs were ready to explode, then walking for about two minutes. I would keep repeating these alternates for four miles or so. It did wonders for my speed, pace, form, and psyche. My 5K and 10K times improved a lot.

These days, dealing with pulmonary fibrosis and emphysema, I only walk - - with my supplemental oxygen.

Last edited by pacifichrono; 21st April 2021 at 20:46.

Master
    Well it had to happen - been flirting with injury. Not sure if I overdid running, strength training or neither is related but I have developed 3 different types of pains in 4 different parts of my left limb over the last 2 weeks or so. The hip, hamstring and calf ones are awful but foot is manageable. I run every other day without fail and can’t remember the last time I missed one, until yesterday. If overuse turns out to be the reason for injury/injuries, I’ll be furious with myself. Seeing physio tomorrow and hope the diagnosis and remedy are quick.

Well it had to happen - been flirting with injury. Not sure if I overdid running, strength training or neither is related but I have developed 3 different types of pains in 4 different parts of my left limb over the last 2 weeks or so. The hip, hamstring and calf ones are awful but foot is manageable. I run every other day without fail and can’t remember the last time I missed one, until yesterday. If overuse turns out to be the reason for injury/injuries, I’ll be furious with myself. Seeing physio tomorrow and hope the diagnosis and remedy are quick.
    I feel for you! Depending on your age and mileage, I doubt you are overtraining. It kind of seems like an injury that occurred spontaneously, like from a misstep or loss of balance situation that didn't bother you until later. Hope you heal quickly!

Master
    Hope it all works out OK for you. Sadly, most of us do carry on running through pain and niggles, when we should rest up for a while. I am certainly guilty of that - hamstring problems for 2 years now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Depending on your age and mileage...
    43 years old. Was averaging 50+ km per week this year. Mostly 2 or 3 weekday runs of 10k each (or odd 5k occasionally when really short of time) plus a half marathon every weekend this year. Also strength training on every non-run day with decent weights.

Master
    Sadly, most of us do carry on running through pain and niggles, when we should rest up for a while. I am certainly guilty of that - hamstring problems for 2 years now!
    Guilty as well. I could feel a different type of pain i.e. not your usual muscle fatigue for a couple of weeks but carried on as normal in order to maintain my streak. The last run was a 10k and I started in a state where even walking was a struggle. Told myself if I start slow, it will get better once I warm up and I will only go beyond 5k if I feel ok. It did get better temporarily and I couldn’t feel a thing after 5k so decided to go the full 10k. Pain came back as soon as I stopped, with the same severity as before the run. Strangely though, what ended up pushing me over the edge was a jump to hang on to the pull-up bar at the gym. Seem to have gone downhill rapidly from that point on rather than after the runs.

43 years old. Was averaging 50+ km per week this year. Mostly 2 or 3 weekday runs of 10k each (or odd 5k occasionally when really short of time) plus a half marathon every weekend this year. Also strength training on every non-run day with decent weights.
    I was about to say that your training program does seem a bit "active" for a 43 year-old - - but then I remembered running 50+K per week at 65, so maybe it isn't so bad. I think it depends a lot on the individual (body type, genetics, etc.). Let us know what your doctor says.

Master
    I was about to say that your training program does seem a bit "active" for a 43 year-old - - but then I remembered running 50+K per week at 65, so maybe it isn't so bad. I think it depends a lot on the individual (body type, genetics, etc.). Let us know what your doctor says.
    I am 71 and average 200 - 250 km per month running (almost all of it slowly at 9+ mins a mile), then another 500 - 600 km cycling. Today is a lovely day, I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing than cycling or running - then coffee and cake!

Master
    I should add that while I am only 43, I am a new and inexperienced runner who started just 4 years ago. Of those, first 2 years were quite pathetic as I used to run only twice a week, 5k each and skipped even those runs whenever I was travelling for work or holiday and at any minor sign of sickness. I've really got into running just over 2 years ago. For more context, 3 different physiotherapists that I have seen in the past, all have commented on how poor my biomechanics and walking/using stairs/sitting down/getting up habits are.

Today is a lovely day, I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing than cycling or running - then coffee and cake!
    Mate, that's not helping. Looking out of the window I am sat next to was bad enough!
    Last edited by FK77; 22nd April 2021 at 09:11.

I am 71 and average 200 - 250 km per month running (almost all of it slowly at 9+ mins a mile), then another 500 - 600 km cycling. Today is a lovely day, I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing than cycling or running - then coffee and cake!
    Ahh, to be so lucky! The factory warranty on my body expired at 67, following 50 years of running. First, it was a hip replacement (that never healed properly), then emphysema, then both knees wore out and I need new ones. At 73, pulmonary fibrosis has reeled me in, too. To think that I was running 10-milers just seven years ago is a shock to the ego and spirit. Today, a three mile hike on oxygen is my big achievement!

Use it when you're young, because when your body's warranty expires, there's no going back!

Last edited by pacifichrono; 22nd April 2021 at 09:55.

I'll be well chuffed if I'm fortunate/ able to keep running through my 50, 60's and perhaps into my 70's. Did my first very tentative 10km on Tuesday, been recuperating from a hernia repair for about 6 weeks...hernia was fine though my legs and backside seem to have grown very accustomed to the sofa, forgotten their job
    Time was rubbish, over an hour, that's immaterial really, I'm happy I completed it, and it's a mark in the sand, start of a comeback. Should be out again tomorrow with a bit of luck. Happy trails whatever the pace.
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd April 2021 at 10:29.

Master
    Let us know what your doctor says.
    Physio said it's sciatica, confirming my Google research from a few days ago. She said it may have been caused by a combination of factors over time as it's generally a ticking timebomb. Sitting down for too long, putting pressure on that disc was probably the biggest cause (I work long hours). So over-exercising doesn't seem to be at least the main reason. At the most it may have been a minor contributing factor. This is perhaps the only good news today as everyone around me has been telling me that I brought it upon myself by doing strenuous exercise every single day.

Will be out of action for now :(

Physio said it's sciatica, confirming my Google research from a few days ago. She said it may have been caused by a combination of factors over time as it's generally a ticking timebomb. Sitting down for too long, putting pressure on that disc was probably the biggest cause (I work long hours). So over-exercising doesn't seem to be at least the main reason. At the most it may have been a minor contributing factor. This is perhaps the only good news today as everyone around me has been telling me that I brought it upon myself by doing strenuous exercise every single day.

Will be out of action for now :(
    Something that might help...I've had terrible low back pain since the 1960s. I bought one of these "back stretching" devices a couple years ago and find that it relieves the pressure and pain in the lower lumbar area.

https://selectbeautyshop.com/adjusta...k-pain-relief/

SydR
    I'll tell you what worked for me. Twice a week I would embark on a 4-mike run, alternating between running at 80-90% effort until my lungs were ready to explode, then walking for about two minutes. I would keep repeating these alternates for four miles or so. It did wonders for my speed, pace, form, and psyche. My 5K and 10K times improved a lot.

These days, dealing with pulmonary fibrosis and emphysema, I only walk - - with my supplemental oxygen.
    Sorry to hear about your ill health.

Been doing a deep dive into some stats available to me from before and after the crash.

My cadence has stayed the same but my stride length has shortened. Got an exercise plan to hopefully regain my flexibility.

Master
    Still in a considerable amount of pain. Now extending all the way from the top of hip to the middle and outer side of foot. Less intense than before most of the time so probably on the mend.

Been 3 weeks since my last run so I couldn’t hold it any longer and went for a test run this evening. Hope the physio doesn’t find out tomorrow. I took 32 minutes for 5k which is over 9 mins slower than my usual time on the same route. Short strides to avoid pulling on the nerve too much, walking intermittently both due to the pain as well as getting out of breath too quickly, tightness in the calf. Shocking how much fitness I have lost in just 3 weeks! This is exactly why I never skip my runs, no matter what. Completely out of my control this time though.

On a more positive note, I don’t appear to have irritated the nerve/aggravated the pain any further.

SydR
    Managed to complete a 10 mile run @ 8 1/2 min/mile pace yesterday; longest by far in the past 20 months.

Legs feel surprisingly good today.

Need to continue working on distance and pace if I hope to be at my best for an October marathon.

Managed to complete a 10 mile run @ 8 1/2 min/mile pace yesterday; longest by far in the past 20 months.

Legs feel surprisingly good today.

Need to continue working on distance and pace if I hope to be at my best for an October marathon.
    Excellent! Keep it up.

SydR
    Excellent! Keep it up.
    Thanks, I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post

A couple of days ago I signed up for the ballot for a place on a half-marathon in October (the day after my 50th birthday, actually), which will be the longest distance I've done (I have no interest in marathons or longer runs, but I do fancy trying a half). I'm looking forward to a deferred 10k in May that I hope goes ahead. So, I guess I have to admit to myself that I'm a runner, not just someone who goes out and runs.
    So, didn't get a place in the 1st or 2nd ballot, which was a bit of a mix of disappointment and relief. Mostly disappointment, though. Today I got an e-mail saying they had released more places, so now I'm doing a half-marathon in October! (The 10k I was hoping for in May got pushed back, but looks to be going ahead at the end of June, so that's all good.)

Right, time to get out and do a run I think...
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Right, time to get out and do a run I think...
    I hope that you are doing so in new shoes!!

Lost motivation today. Yesterday the July European Duathlon Championships (Romania) cancelled for the British team, today the September World Duathlon Championships (Holland) cancelled. 18 months of training for no events. Wonder what will happen to the 2022 world champs as those are in Australia - will we even be allowed in?

Lost motivation today. Yesterday the July European Duathlon Championships (Romania) cancelled for the British team, today the September World Duathlon Championships (Holland) cancelled. 18 months of training for no events. Wonder what will happen to the 2022 world champs as those are in Australia - will we even be allowed in?
    Ah, damn, that ain't good. Sorry to hear it.

(And yes, all runs now in new shoes! Old shoes have been retired.)
    Dave E

Master

That’s a shame, but you have all this training in your legs - must be worth finding a race somewhere? You’re only young once ;-)

Master
    (And yes, all runs now in new shoes! Old shoes have been retired.)
    Good - I am still changing mine every 3 months (well 6 months, as I have at least 2 pairs in rotation), as that will be around 450 miles.

Good - I am still changing mine every 3 months (well 6 months, as I have at least 2 pairs in rotation), as that will be around 450 miles.
    The Brooks Ghost 12s got up to a bit over 600km for me (I had 2 pairs in rotation as well). I'm experimenting with 2 different pairs this time, one pair of Ghost 13s, and the other are New Balance 880v10s. Actually, I've ended up with 2 pairs of the New Balance, so I'll end up with 3 pairs to rotate, because of sizing. The New Balance come up a bit smaller than the Brooks, I'm an 8.5 in runners usually (including the Brooks), but the 8.5 New Balance are a bit smaller than the Brooks, a 9 is about the same as a Brooks 8.5. As a result, I've got both an 8.5 and a size 9 pair in the New Balance now, and I'll use both. (The 8.5 New Balance is still OK to run in, just a bit snugger than I prefer.)
    Dave E

I've had to move on from my Asics and New Balance running shoes to these Hoka One One Stinson Mids for hiking.

Here's a question for you all - in the summer I prefer to run without socks. I have one pair of Sauconys that have very nearly ceased to be and the replacements I bought (last year) are rubbing me up the wrong way now that the weather has improved. Any recommendations for a nice lightweight pair of shoes (normal gait) that won't have irritating lines of stitching in unwelcome places? I don't think I'll be bothering with Saucony again.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Have you looked at any Triathlon specific running shoes - they would work. Off Sportsshoes I bought a pair of these for £65 ASICS Gel-Noosa Tri 12 Running Shoe , but just looked and those offers have gone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I don't think I'll be bothering with Saucony again.
    Can’t help with your question because I have hardly ever run without socks but I find the above comment really interesting. Just shows how much suitability varies from person to person. I have had a few Sauconys (2 x Ride ISO, 2 x Triumph 17 and 1 x Ride 13). Yet to find a pair that I did NOT love. Found Nike Pegasus, Hoka Carbon X and Hoka Bondi 7 extremely disappointing. The top of the inside edge of Bondi starts piercing into the sole of my foot on every run after 7km as the insole doesn’t provide sufficient coverage and protection (for me anyway). The other two started midsole compression way too early to even consider checking for creasing and other signs of wear. My knees and feet were hurting a lot but I kept checking my other pairs only because those were the high mileage ones!

I might try Brooks at some point when I am allowed to run again but right now I am firmly in the “if ain’t broke, don’t fix it” camp and happy to stick to Saucony.

Have you looked at any Triathlon specific running shoes - they would work. Off Sportsshoes I bought a pair of these for £65 ASICS Gel-Noosa Tri 12 Running Shoe , but just looked and those offers have gone.
    No - that hadn't occurred to me at all. I'll adjust my search criteria accordingly. Thank you.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    No - that hadn't occurred to me at all. I'll adjust my search criteria accordingly. Thank you.
    Did some more searches - this looks useful (though USA):
    https://www.triathlete.com/gear/run/...oing-sockless/

SydR
    Marathon training starts for me this week.

Struggling to find the motivation to do it as I am still unconvinced it will go ahead in October. Need to get past that and put the work in.

Master
    This might be running related, I'm not sure

For the last few decades my feet have been size 9

I started running about 5 years ago, only maybe running 15-20km a week

About 2 years ago, I had to move up to size 9.5

I've been running ever since, maybe up to 50km a week during lock-down, and down to 20km a week now

And I now think I need size 10!

Is this common, or anything to do with running or just age? (I'm 43)

SydR
    Is this just impacting the sizing of your running shoes or all shoes?

I find I vary in size a little across brands but, in general, am still the same sized feet I was 20 years ago.

Master
    Is this just impacting the sizing of your running shoes or all shoes?

I find I vary in size a little across brands but, in general, am still the same sized feet I was 20 years ago.
    All shoes! I've had to replace almost all my shoes/trainers..

I always had high arches, perhaps they're lowering themselves with time :-)

SydR
    Have you had a gait analysis done? It’s possible you may require running shoes with support to stop it developing further.

Marathon training starts for me this week.

Struggling to find the motivation to do it as I am still unconvinced it will go ahead in October. Need to get past that and put the work in.
    The way vaccinations are going, four months from now should be very safe.

GO FOR IT!

The way vaccinations are going, four months from now should be very safe.

GO FOR IT!
    I hope you will be right, but I have my doubts.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    I'm running my first event this year on coming Friday, 10km road run, at 22:00 in the evening. It's very nice, just before the sun sets and the weather has cooled. The run is downtown by the river. I think there will be 500 to 700 participants.

Need a bit of help.

I just can't seem to get below 10 minute miles.

I used to be reasonably quick but I can't seem to recapture my speed.

If anyone can suggest a quick way to lose weight through diet as well, that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Need a bit of help.

I just can't seem to get below 10 minute miles.

I used to be reasonably quick but I can't seem to recapture my speed.

If anyone can suggest a quick way to lose weight through diet as well, that might help.
    Try running intervals, they do work (they did for me anyway).

Fast spells with recovery periods between somehow got my speeds up but without running like it was going to kill me.

Regarding the weight loss, don't be too hard on yourself and do it slowly. Losing weight fast is not healthy and often not sustainable, so better to increase your exercise (as you are doing by the sounds of it) and cut out bad eating/drinking habits.

Master
    Fartleks to improve speed if you haven’t already tried that?

For weight loss what helped me (in addition to a lot of exercise obviously) was replacing my weekday lunches with these options:

1. Protein shake + bananas + apples
    2. Fresh salad: lots of green leaves, a boiled egg, beans, hummus, falafel, olive oil
    3. Grilled salmon with fresh green salad

I was alternating between 1 and 2 Monday to Thursday and typically Fridays was 3 but sometimes repeat of one of the first two. Did this until the first lockdown started. I was very strict about it and there were no exceptions for 15 months if I was in the office. It was easier than now when I’m working from home 3 days a week.

Resulted in a slow but steady fat loss and most of it stayed off even after COVID started and I stopped following that diet regime. Could be because I was exercising more during lockdown. Sorry I don’t have figures but it was working so well that even family and colleagues, people who saw me daily, were noticing that I was getting thinner.

Fartleks to improve speed if you haven’t already tried that?

For weight loss what helped me (in addition to a lot of exercise obviously) was replacing my weekday lunches with these options:

1. Protein shake + bananas + apples
    2. Fresh salad: lots of green leaves, a boiled egg, beans, hummus, falafel, olive oil
    3. Grilled salmon with fresh green salad

I was alternating between 1 and 2 Monday to Thursday and typically Fridays was 3 but sometimes repeat of one of the first two. Did this until the first lockdown started. I was very strict about it and there were no exceptions for 15 months if I was in the office. It was easier than now when I’m working from home 3 days a week.

Resulted in a slow but steady fat loss and most of it stayed off even after COVID started and I stopped following that diet regime. Could be because I was exercising more during lockdown. Sorry I don’t have figures but it was working so well that even family and colleagues, people who saw me daily, were noticing that I was getting thinner.
    When pizza?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.