closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Pacing ; how to get it right?

I have a regular 5km run and a PB of 24:42 for this route... which seems a bit of a fluke given recent performance on the same route.

Today, I set off with my Fitbit on as usual so I get 1km pacing updates. All good for a few km - seemingly at my usual 5:10 per km ( ish ) pace ...

By my reckoning I thought at this pace I’d have some left in the tank for a quick final km...

However, on getting to the 4km mark I didn’t feel I had it in me, so decided to plod on...

... and that turned out to be my fastest km of the 5k ...when I thought I was maintaining 5:10 pace.

Clearly, I haven’t really got a clue how fast I’m going ... is there an app to update more frequently than my Fitbit 1km updates ?

z

Get yourself a garmin running watch. A 235 would suit the bill fine, or a 735 if you do much swimming/cycling etc. On run mode it gives a clear instant speed that you can keep an eye on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Equus View Post
    That should be fascinating if its a good detailed test, Id love to do a proper max heart rate and VO2 test. Post how it goes
    Very disappointed with the fitness test as it had to be ended prematurely. Apparently my blood pressure shot up too high during the exercise. I don't know whether it was due to faulty equipment or the BP was actually that high because I felt absolutely fine and could have gone to much higher intensity levels than where the test was abandoned. I was able to comfortably hold a conversation with the physiologist and pleaded to let me carry on as it was no where near the intensity I reach when I run. I understand why they won't take any risks though.

It was only a sub-maximal test and didn't involve a mask on my face to measure actual oxygen intake and carbon dioxide I was exhaling. Gutted because I didn't get my actual max heart rate or VO2 max. Will have to continue to rely on whatever my Polar H10 tells me, which I feel is quite complimentary when it comes to VO2 max as it just estimates it based on my resting heart rate.

Rest of the assessment was very positive though. Haven't received the full report yet but astonishing improvement in my health, particularly body measurements, composition, cholesterol levels etc. compared to the same assessment 2 years ago. Really most of the improvement has been over the last 8 months, not 2 years as that was when I changed my diet slightly and upped my running frequency and distances.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post
    Get yourself a garmin running watch. A 235 would suit the bill fine, or a 735 if you do much swimming/cycling etc. On run mode it gives a clear instant speed that you can keep an eye on.
    Thanks - I'll have a look on Amazon...

z

Journeyman
    Thanks - I'll have a look on Amazon...

z

I'm not sure how accurate the heart rate monitor is....tells me i'm hitting over 200bpm during interval training. But the speed function is spot in and very accurate.

Blog Entries
    Pacing ; how to get it right?

I have a regular 5km run and a PB of 24:42 for this route... which seems a bit of a fluke given recent performance on the same route.

Today, I set off with my Fitbit on as usual so I get 1km pacing updates. All good for a few km - seemingly at my usual 5:10 per km ( ish ) pace ...

By my reckoning I thought at this pace I’d have some left in the tank for a quick final km...

However, on getting to the 4km mark I didn’t feel I had it in me, so decided to plod on...

... and that turned out to be my fastest km of the 5k ...when I thought I was maintaining 5:10 pace.

Clearly, I haven’t really got a clue how fast I’m going ... is there an app to update more frequently than my Fitbit 1km updates ?

z
    Yeah…. That’s all I’d want from a running watch really (don’t know if this feature exists?)

Display current pace and alert if going to fast or too slow

Display heart rate and set an alarm to slow down of raising too high

Does such a thing exist? Happy with Strava linked with Fitbit otherwise

I thought most of these watches could be set to show your current pace which refreshes on a regular (every 10 seconds(ish)) basis.
    My Forerunner 220 certainly does.

Apologies if that is not what you were asking!

Splits are usually 1km as standard, or 1mile as an alternative.

I ended up turning off my pace screen, as I found it distracted the way I was running, so I now run 'un-aided' and find feeling your pace naturally works better for me. The over-analysis of pace and negative splits was causing more issues for me personally.
    Last edited by Maysie; 19th July 2019 at 17:19.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    10k and 5:30am today is making me virtuous on the way in to work this morning. I’ve not been able to run as much as I’ve wanted due to niggles so have been keeping up fitness on a bike.

Bournemouth Marathon 6th October next event.
    I will see you there, will be my first marathon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    You might want to throw a few hills into your training. The 2nd half is a bit up and down.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

All the best with. Saw the 17 miler you posted on rms there, I'd say you'll get a good time in the marathon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    You might want to throw a few hills into your training. The 2nd half is a bit up and down.
    Thanks for the advice. I always train hills anyway and love getting out onto trails as well so should be in good shape but will make sure to keep plenty of hills in the plan

Craftsman
    Been on holiday so first run in 3 weeks, just a nice steady 3.5 mile or so I thought, wow that was tough.
    Pace well down, heart rate well up, lethargic.
    But I've got the first one back out of the way, hopefully back on track soon.

Did my first park run today and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Tough underfoot conditions after some heavy rain.
    Was just over 29mins, 4th in my age bracket.
    Had a bit left in the tank so hopefully better it next Saturday 😀

Craftsman
    Anyone got the fenix 5/plus?

Ordered one on a whim after..well..ahem..selling some of the various other watches I no longer wear now I have fully embraced the smart/sport/running watch tech.
    Probably overkill for what I need but wanted something that wasn't a touch screen and would hold music.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Delighted to be running again too after a tear in my Achilles a few weeks back. I need to get back to 16+ miles and the 20 in August for the Berlin marathon in September. Looking positive again now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    Delighted to be running again too after a tear in my Achilles a few weeks back. I need to get back to 16+ miles and the 20 in August for the Berlin marathon in September. Looking positive again now.

I’ve had a problem with my Achilles heel,could hardly walk 3 weeks ago ,ran on Friday but its still not right,how long should it take to heal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post

Take it steady…. Good to have you back

You have to run the Berlin in your city shirt of course!

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I’ve had a problem with my Achilles heel,could hardly walk 3 weeks ago ,ran on Friday but its still not right,how long should it take to heal

I tore mine on 27th June and limped around for a few days. 1 week later, when I wasn’t getting any pain, I did 4 miles (probably only 3 miles running) and was back to where I started. 2 visits to the physio later and I’m running again, so all in all about 4 weeks

Master
    How is everyone doing in this weather? I was fooled by the overcast conditions on Monday when I looked out of my office window and expected it to be fairly easy. It was quite warm despite the clouds and a challenging 5k.

Today was something else though ... 32 degrees under scorching sun at the time I went out for a run. I managed a bit over 10k but was very slow. I’m glad I decided to take a bottle of water for my run today (normally I don’t). Taking a few sips at regular intervals slowed me down but I wasn’t expecting to improve my PB on a day like this anyway. Had to shower twice afterwards as I couldn’t stop sweating after the first one ��

So happy tomorrow isn't a “run day” for me!
    Last edited by FK77; 24th July 2019 at 23:26.

Craftsman
    It’s been tough - hill efforts on Tuesday, 9 miles easy yesterday and today is 4 miles at half marathon pace

I think today will be hardest in terms of the heat due to the continuous higher effort and pace - in theory it should be fine but it’s hard in that humidity

Master
    Have a HM coming up on Sunday so luckily this is a relaxed week for me. I did get out last Sunday and Tuesday. Earlier in the morning so not peak heat.

I am due to go out today for a very short jog, not looking forward to the heat at all!

Stay safe out there all!

Blog Entries
    Short and sweet…. Did just over 5km today…. It’s like running into a hot hair dryer…. 42c in Saumur

I haven't been out running since Sunday, can't face it in this heat. Doesn't help that the easiest time for me to go out is about 8pm. If I was organised enough to get up and head out about 5am I'd be OK. Might try tomorrow morning at 7.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Yeah…. That’s all I’d want from a running watch really (don’t know if this feature exists?)

Display current pace and alert if going to fast or too slow

Display heart rate and set an alarm to slow down of raising too high

Does such a thing exist? Happy with Strava linked with Fitbit otherwise
    Not sure if this was answered...

A Garmin watch can be set up to tell you pace, HR and other metrics on a time basis, so 30secs, 1min, 2mins etc which is set up through the app.

Also, against an activity you can set alerts which can tell you if you are running to a set pace or in a upper and lower value. It warns you by a vibration on the watch and on the display. Other alerts can be set, HR, distance, pace etc.

And then finally, you can have it tell you your lap speed at your lap setting (I set mine to 1km when I run) and it will tell me my lap time as I go.

So in total and for example, you can have an ‘instant’ pace every 30secs, a HR cap of 150bpm, and then it a 1km lap time relayed to you every 1km. I think you can have multiple alerts sets, but I’ve never tried, and I think you could get to a point where you need to concentrate on the running rather than digesting metrics constantly!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjay View Post
    Not sure if this was answered...

A Garmin watch can be set up to tell you pace, HR and other metrics on a time basis, so 30secs, 1min, 2mins etc which is set up through the app.

Also, against an activity you can set alerts which can tell you if you are running to a set pace or in a upper and lower value. It warns you by a vibration on the watch and on the display. Other alerts can be set, HR, distance, pace etc.

And then finally, you can have it tell you your lap speed at your lap setting (I set mine to 1km when I run) and it will tell me my lap time as I go.

So in total and for example, you can have an ‘instant’ pace every 30secs, a HR cap of 150bpm, and then it a 1km lap time relayed to you every 1km. I think you can have multiple alerts sets, but I’ve never tried, and I think you could get to a point where you need to concentrate on the running rather than digesting metrics constantly!
    Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply…. And you’ve captured perfectly what I thought I’d like from a running watch

However, reading other responses, it’s good to to just ‘be in the run’ as opposed to constantly following data! I’ve been fine to date with just the 1km split time bleating in my ear…

I will have a ponder….

Thanks again…

Ben

TZUK Running Club

Not running this weekend but instead in the Lakes marshalling at the Lakeland 100; it looks like the weather will be a bit variable for everyone.

Wish I was starting with them - but that’ll have to wait until 2020.

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply…. And you’ve captured perfectly what I thought I’d like from a running watch

However, reading other responses, it’s good to to just ‘be in the run’ as opposed to constantly following data! I’ve been fine to date with just the 1km split time bleating in my ear…

I will have a ponder….

Thanks again…

Ben
    It’s no problem, it’s taken me a while to get to a point where I know what I need to hear when I’m running, generally I just have my pace every 2 or 3 minutes in my ear (when wearing earphones) and my 1km splits showing on my watch only and buzzing when they are up. If I cap my HR I tend to switch off the 1km splits as there are too many buzzes and I can’t tell what it’s what with out looking...

But equally, it’s really good just to run, with no cues, as in a triathlon (my race of choice!), I only have a watch on and so have to race on feel and much more limited data.

Blog Entries

I will have a ponder….

Thanks again…

Ben
    I have a Fenix 5 Plus and it is a superb bit of kit and pretty accurate Ben.

I have begun to run off my HR more which is great fun and a real boost when you complete a run and look at the pace, proves how fit I am actually getting i.e. miles covered and speed vs HR. You don’t need it showing pace.

I have slowed myself down over the past month due to a niggle and experimenting with HR and the whole run slow to run fast concept, certainly beginning to show.

Keep it up all. 👏🏼👏🏼

Pitch

Master
    Managed to do the Half Marathon today although this last week has not been without drama. A last minute injury to my back has seriously hampered me and had cast doubt on me being able to do it.

Persevered and made it through. Thankfully conditions were perfect today.

2.30 on the nose which was my aim. I know very slow for most!! But my first HM and for me just completing it was good enough. I stopped at every water station (following advice above), had breakfast! And hydrated plenty yesterday and this morning. Got to the end feeling reasonable!

Thanks all. Great thread to follow even for a novice like me!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

9miles this morning in the rain.. a welcome change to running in the heat of last week

One of my longest runs too as I only ever do 5 or 10k. Managed to keep a considerable pace for the majority

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

2.30 on the nose which was my aim. I know very slow for most!! But my first HM and for me just completing it was good enough.
    Congratulations on your milestone! Very envious.

Journeyman
    Pacer morning at park run yesterday, I've never beaten the 20 min mark at my local run so decided hell or high water I was hanging onto the 20 minute guy for grim death. It was tough, he started out the first mile at 6 - 6.10 per mile in order to compensate for a steep hill that has to be run up 3 times. Managed it just about, and felt ok so passed him on the last mile and came in at 19.33. Very pleased, don't think I'll be trying that on a regular basis tho as still feeling the effects today!

Blog Entries
    Pacer morning at park run yesterday, I've never beaten the 20 min mark at my local run so decided hell or high water I was hanging onto the 20 minute guy for grim death. It was tough, he started out the first mile at 6 - 6.10 per mile in order to compensate for a steep hill that has to be run up 3 times. Managed it just about, and felt ok so passed him on the last mile and came in at 19.33. Very pleased, don't think I'll be trying that on a regular basis tho as still feeling the effects today!
    Top bombing, and a very well done. Getting the sub 20 monkey off your back is heck of an achievement.

Pitch

Managed to do the Half Marathon today although this last week has not been without drama. A last minute injury to my back has seriously hampered me and had cast doubt on me being able to do it.

2.30 on the nose which was my aim. I know very slow for most!! But my first HM and for me just completing it was good enough. I stopped at every water station (following advice above), had breakfast! And hydrated plenty yesterday and this morning. Got to the end feeling reasonable!

Superb well done! A half marathon is a half marathon regardless of how long it takes. Amazing stuff
    Dan

Blog Entries

Fantastic achievement!

Everyone is doing really well on here…

Managed to do the Half Marathon today
    Congratulations, and now you’ll be looking for the next one...!

...19:33...
    Fantastic, especially on a hilly course.
    I’d love to go sub-20 and we have flat courses in Perth...20:53 last week.

Master
    Some great times here - well done.Still struggling with hamstring injury having got to 97 parkruns early April, so toddled round the last 2 in 26/27 minutes, just to get to the 100 in this Saturday.
    Last Saturday the Harrow defib machine was stolen, so will be donating £100 to kick start the funding for the new one.

Master
    And that was 100 done yesterday at Harrow. Great turnout there, and a fantastic response to the appeal for funds to replace the stolen defib machine.

Weymouth parkrun yesterday for me followed by a swim in the sea (just over the road from the finish) - highly recommended!

Journeyman
    3rd place in parkrun this morning. Collapsed on the line tho :)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    And that was 100 done yesterday at Harrow. Great turnout there, and a fantastic response to the appeal for funds to replace the stolen defib machine.
    Well done, Andrzej!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Ran home from work again yesterday. Took me well over 1h 31m to complete 16+ km but it is very hilly (282 m total climb according to the app) and I was running in torrential downpour for the first 10-15 mins. After the first time I did this run, I couldn’t pluck the courage to repeat it for 4 weeks, then again 2 weeks after that and yesterday was my 3rd consecutive week. It seems it might become a permanent part of my weekly running routine.

Craftsman
    2km into a 5+km run and I thought I'd been shot into my right calf.

Had to immediately pull up and do some gentle stretches. Much too painful to continue running, even walking (limping) hurt.
    Managed to slowly get home and spent the evening with my leg up with ice pack on.
    Pain every time I turned over in bed overnight.
    I got up early this morning still in pain, limping about.
    So more ice packs and ibuprofen today.
    Oh joy.

Master
    Oh dear. I have a foam roller (the firmest type) that I use to relieve calf pain after a long run but sounds like yours might be a different type of pain that might worsen if pressure is applied. So what you’re doing is probably best.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    2km into a 5+km run and I thought I'd been shot into my right calf.

Had to immediately pull up and do some gentle stretches. Much too painful to continue running, even walking (limping) hurt.
    Managed to slowly get home and spent the evening with my leg up with ice pack on.
    Pain every time I turned over in bed overnight.
    I got up early this morning still in pain, limping about.
    So more ice packs and ibuprofen today.
    Oh joy.
    That's a tear in the muscle, don`t even think about trying to run until it's fully recovered. Suggest you se a physio and get professional help/advice, if you don`t get it sorted correctly it'll always be a weak spot. The aim is to avoid it healing with a knot of scar tissue.

Calf problems are best avoided bby regular stretching and massage if they're getting tight. You can do the massage yourself, get a sports masseur to show you how.

Also look at your running technique, weakness in the upper leg muscles can put undue strain on the calves. Might sound counter-intuitive but working on upper leg strength might help.

I`d advise anyone who runs to do at least one session/week in the gym, a full body work-out concentrating on core muscle strength and legs but not neglecting upper body either. Always accompany strength work with stretching, the aim is to develop strength and flexibility.

If I could turn the clock back 40 years and follow my own advice I`d still be running today, a bit of very light jogging interspersed with walking, on soft ground, is all I can manage if I`m to avoid further problems. Calf muscles and Achilles tendons were my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Weymouth parkrun yesterday for me followed by a swim in the sea (just over the road from the finish) - highly recommended!
    Just such an enjoyable, great thing to do.

Blog Entries
    That sounds rough Nigel, take it easy, some good advice above.

I haven’t run for two weeks now. Shin pain six weeks ago which just got worse. Stopped proper training and stuck to really long Sunday slow runs but still very painful, I mean a stair at a time when going down them.

After a twelve day lay off the shins are feeling a lot better hardly any pain just a tiny bit sore to touch.

Is there a bench mark time for laying off and any advice on returning to running would be appreciated.

Pitch

Grand Master
    The problem with running is the vicious circle effect. Usually they're caused by over-use/over-exertion, you rest till they go away, but then go out and repeat the activity that caused them in the first place. Trying to get to the underlying cause is difficult without professional medical help and that can be expensive without any guarantee of success. One of my yardsticks was to continue light training if the injury wasn`t getting worse, but sometimes that can prolong recovery and create a situation where the problem becomes chronic.

I was extremely fortunate, I worked for a big employer on a large site which had its own physiotherapy room for treatment of work-related injuries. I got free physio treatment 3 times/week if required and I learned quite a lot. After tearing an Achilles I was told it would never be the same again and strongly advised to quit running aged 26.....that didn`t go down well but over the years her prophesy has proved correct.

Simply doing too much running, or too much hard running, can lead to injuries. Everyone has a different threshold for training, just because the rest of your club can run 60+ miles/week doesn`t mean you can. Training hard every day means working tired legs hard, unfortunately that goes with the territory if you want to succeed, but it does increase the risk of breakdown. Running on alternate days and doing gym work (or cycling/swimming) on the others can work better for some, I did this in my 30s and felt a lot better.

People who work full time end up running on the roads in winter, that's a given for most folks, but I`d always advocate running on soft ground if possible, at least for some sessions. The pounding effect on hard surfaces does no-one any good, soft shoes help and replacing shoes regularly helps too.

Finally, I`ll share this one: After a trip to the gym recently I got the urge to have a run afterwards, it was a nice sunny afternoon so I parked up close to the woods locally and did some light running.....wearing a pair of shoes with no tread whatsoever. On encountering a patch of mud I ended up flat on the floor, falling on my right thumb and spraining it. It hurt, and it's still painful after 5 or 6 weeks. It stopped me working on watches for a while, and pints had to be lifted left-handed!

Be careful out there.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the advise.
    Calf has eased up a just a little, may be the ibuprofen, ice and having hardly moved since I got up.
    I've done a Google search for stretching exercises so will slowly introduce them.
    Without going private, physio through doctors is a waste here as I've been waiting to see them for a minor unrelated problem for over 2 months now.

Master
    3rd place in parkrun this morning. Collapsed on the line tho :)
    This got a bit lost with all the injury advice, but what a brilliant performance! Ormeau Park or Victoria? How far off second...?!!