closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    Like a few here I’ve succumbed to injury a month or so back . The dreaded hamstring ! Ran on for a a few sessions before it became clear it wasn’t getting very unhappy .
    I took a month or so out and am gradually getting back in doing some gentle park runs and slower 8 milers .
    Form has dropped off and it’s still not 100% but seems to be improving . It appears that it’s a notoriously slow healer due to poor blood flow . I’m stretching and foam rollering so hopefully it’ll continue to improve :)
    I feel your pain, literally. Though getting back now, a couple of 5k’s and a Be Military Fit session done!

Has anyone been silly enough to enter the ballot for next years London marathon?

Master
    Like a few here I’ve succumbed to injury a month or so back . The dreaded hamstring ! Ran on for a a few sessions before it became clear it wasn’t getting very unhappy .
    I took a month or so out and am gradually getting back in doing some gentle park runs and slower 8 milers .
    Form has dropped off and it’s still not 100% but seems to be improving . It appears that it’s a notoriously slow healer due to poor blood flow . I’m stretching and foam rollering so hopefully it’ll continue to improve :)
    For my hamstring problems, I have been to the physio and acupuncture, as well as foam roller and trigger point balls for stretches - but still no improvement. Other club runners who have ailments such as plantar faciitis have been put for months. Such a shame when I was starting to go so well.

Craftsman
    First half marathon completed this morning, so automatic PB!

Sub 2:30 so I’m extremely happy with my time. Stairs might be a challenge for a day or two though!

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sternum View Post

Sub 2:30 so I’m extremely happy with my time. Stairs might be a challenge for a day or two though!

DS

Well done, tomorrow will be stiff, tuesday horrific, but the satisfaction is permanent.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sternum View Post

DS

Good effort, could this be the first of many? Go backwards done the stairs tomorrow, slightly less uncomfortable

TZUK Running Club

Well new to this. Bit of training but completed my first 10k today in 10 year! Not the time I hoped but still pleased 1hr 7min.

So first run today in about 12 years! Have been on the keto diet and have gotten down from 134 kilos to 105 kilos since Jan. Did a cheeky 5k around Kingston and felt fine. Time wasn't super fast at 18 mins but for someone who has lost 5 stone (plus lost a type 2 diabetes diagnosis) in less than 5 months I'm delighted, seeing as I'll be 42 next month too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    So first run today in about 12 years! Have been on the keto diet and have gotten down from 134 kilos to 105 kilos since Jan. Did a cheeky 5k around Kingston and felt fine. Time wasn't super fast at 18 mins but for someone who has lost 5 stone (plus lost a type 2 diabetes diagnosis) in less than 5 months I'm delighted, seeing as I'll be 42 next month too.

Your first run in 12yrs and you’re running under 6min / mile?!

That’s quite impressive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I feel your pain, literally. Though getting back now, a couple of 5k’s and a Be Military Fit session done!

Has anyone been silly enough to enter the ballot for next years London marathon?
    Oh yes - 3rd time lucky maybe :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    For my hamstring problems, I have been to the physio and acupuncture, as well as foam roller and trigger point balls for stretches - but still no improvement. Other club runners who have ailments such as plantar faciitis have been put for months. Such a shame when I was starting to go so well.
    You’ll get there - how long have you been out ?
    I had about 3 weeks no running and then have gradually built up a bit . I’m still niggled by it a couple of months on - especially up hill - but it continues to improve slowly .
    I do wonder if I need a physio or just patience

Craftsman

If you really did that in 18 minutes then that’s beyond impressive - there are not many runners can do an 18min 5k

Master

If you haven't run for 12 years and ran a 18 min 5k, with a little more training and you're set to break some records

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Your first run in 12yrs and you’re running under 6min / mile?!

That’s quite impressive.
    Oops! Typo! I meant 28 mins!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    If you really did that in 18 minutes then that’s beyond impressive - there are not many runners can do an 18min 5k
    Yeah typo it was 28 mins!!!

Master
    You’ll get there - how long have you been out ?
    I had about 3 weeks no running and then have gradually built up a bit . I’m still niggled by it a couple of months on - especially up hill - but it continues to improve slowly .
    I do wonder if I need a physio or just patience
    Over 4 weeks out already. The physio I go to in Harrow was a GB hurdler and really knows his stuff. Saw him Friday, have 45 minutes physio and acupuncture tonight, and trying to get another later in the week! He is sure he can have me back to running in 3 weeks.

Master

When running properly I was under 18 minutes, but we are talking a long, long time ago. Now at 22 minutes, I am showing at close to 80% on the parkrun age grading scale, which I understand is meant to equate to national standard.

Blog Entries

That’s still pretty respectable…. You’d have been running and not jogging for sure

Good effort all round

Craftsman
    Tonight I did my first bit of running in over 5 years,which was playing 5-a-side,and my first "run" proper in 25yrs.

Managed a mile and had to stop half way round the block.My cardio is buggered!!.
    At least I have a target to see if I can run a bit further next time without stopping..

18 mins if it was those dodgy dudes in Barcelona chasing you for the PP hahaha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    Tonight I did my first bit of running in over 5 years,which was playing 5-a-side,and my first "run" proper in 25yrs.

Managed a mile and had to stop half way round the block.My cardio is buggered!!.
    At least I have a target to see if I can run a bit further next time without stopping..
    It gets easier quite quickly…. Look at coach to 5km as a guide to building up…. Stick with it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    It gets easier quite quickly…. Look at coach to 5km as a guide to building up…. Stick with it!
    Thanks for the encouragement.

Did another mile today,got another 100m further without stopping .
    Day off tomorrow and then will see if I can get round non stop.
    As soon as I can will build up towards a 30 minute non stop run..who knows,may look to do a local 5k in a few months!

I used to do 10k 2/3 times a week in my youth but now I'm the wrong side of 50 will be happy doing half an hour of continuous jogging a couple of times a week.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

As soon as I can will build up towards a 30 minute non stop run..who knows,may look to do a local 5k in a few months!

I used to do 10k 2/3 times a week in my youth but now I'm the wrong side of 50 will be happy doing half an hour of continuous jogging a couple of times a week.

I think the key guide is to raise your heart rate for 20+ minutes three times a week

Your muscle memory will kick back in!

You’ll find progress is not strictly linear especially as you get back into it…

Good luck!

Master

The wrong side of 50? So you’re 49?? ;-)

Craftsman
    3rd run this week,first completed mile without stopping.Took 9 minutes.
    Next week will concentrate on actual minutes running rather than distance,aiming for 12mins.

Hoping to get up to 30mins within 8-10 weeks

3rd run this week,first completed mile without stopping.Took 9 minutes.
    Next week will concentrate on actual minutes running rather than distance,aiming for 12mins.

Hoping to get up to 30mins within 8-10 weeks
    Good effort. Personally I’d rather map the 5k and then adjust my pace and build slowly. So start a fast walk, build to jogging then running, improving your time each time. Others may say that’s not the best approach but I think it would work for me. As has been said, improvement may not be linear so don’t get disheartened if you don’t always improve on your last outing.

Craftsman
    Cheers for the advice.

Problem I have is with my stamina and seem to have the lung capacity of a 60 a day smoker although I never have smoked!.
    I have no problem walking for an hour or two,it's more lifting my heart rate for any period of time without puffing like a chronic asthmatic..just going to take it steady and try to build up the actual time I spend jogging rather than walking.

Cheers for the advice.

Problem I have is with my stamina and seem to have the lung capacity of a 60 a day smoker although I never have smoked!.
    I have no problem walking for an hour or two,it's more lifting my heart rate for any period of time without puffing like a chronic asthmatic..just going to take it steady and try to build up the actual time I spend jogging rather than walking.

Are you following couch to 5k app ,I did it ,really good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Are you following couch to 5k app ,I did it ,really good

I’d second this…. stick in some headphones and it directly prompts you to run and then when to walk fast… My wife followed it and we are now both out for a 10km this morning!

It was an NHS one apparently

Craftsman
    I know not much is needed except trainers,shorts and a t shirt to start running,but as this is a Watch forum decided to take the plunge and have purchased a Garmin Vivoactive 3 music to track my progress.Will hopefully set it up this weekend.Reviews looked good and managed to nab last one from Argos in the sale.

Also took a trip to the Nike outlet as they have a 30% off full price items till Monday if you join the Nike app (found the link on HUKDs) and bought a couple of dry fit tees and...don't laugh..running tights (for under my shorts,of course!).At present I look like I am just running for a bus in scruffy joggers and a crappy tee to the casual passer by..

As soon as I am set up will join the Strava group.

I know not much is needed except trainers,shorts and a t shirt to start running,but as this is a Watch forum decided to take the plunge and have purchased a Garmin Vivoactive 3 music to track my progress.Will hopefully set it up this weekend.Reviews looked good and managed to nab last one from Argos in the sale.

Also took a trip to the Nike outlet as they have a 30% off full price items till Monday if you join the Nike app (found the link on HUKDs) and bought a couple of dry fit tees and...don't laugh..running tights (for under my shorts,of course!).At present I look like I am just running for a bus in scruffy joggers and a crappy tee to the casual passer by..

As soon as I am set up will join the Strava group.
    I use the pre music Vivoactive 3 and find it excellent. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! Get yourself set up and on Strava, you might be surprised at the motivating element. I certainly was. I’ve pushed myself to do 5 and 10ks most months to get the ‘badges’ and to try and improve my personal bests, both totals and segments. Just enjoy it and take it slowly and you will improve. Some weeks may seem like a step backwards if you’re not feeling it but overall you will gradually improve.

Craftsman
    I use the pre music Vivoactive 3 and find it excellent. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! Get yourself set up and on Strava, you might be surprised at the motivating element. I certainly was. I’ve pushed myself to do 5 and 10ks most months to get the ‘badges’ and to try and improve my personal bests, both totals and segments. Just enjoy it and take it slowly and you will improve. Some weeks may seem like a step backwards if you’re not feeling it but overall you will gradually improve.
    Thanks.
    As I said I was quite a regular runner in my 20s,but work and other things curtailed it.did play 5 a side weekly till about 5 years ago when job change and hours meant I have lost a bit of fitness.
    I know there will be times I won't be looking forward to it,but health permitting (gout) hope to keep it up.

Thanks.
    As I said I was quite a regular runner in my 20s,but work and other things curtailed it.did play 5 a side weekly till about 5 years ago when job change and hours meant I have lost a bit of fitness.
    I know there will be times I won't be looking forward to it,but health permitting (gout) hope to keep it up.

👍🏻

Craftsman
    First ever park run this morning, only done maximum of 2 miles at a time occasionally over the last 10 years and that was on a treadmill. Absolutely knackered at the end but managed to keep going. Very happy with my 52% grading.

Journeyman
    Managed to get into the 21’s this week at parkrun for the first time. Got new shoes 4 weeks ago and ran 4 pb’s since. Guess I didn’t realise what a difference good shoes make, I’ve never had trainers over £20 till now.

Wow! That's so funny! I organise a (casual) running club at school (for the staff). Our ladies and gents are delighted when they achieve their first ever sub-30 minute 5k, so 28 mins is a cracking time in it's own right, nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    First ever park run this morning, only done maximum of 2 miles at a time occasionally over the last 10 years and that was on a treadmill. Absolutely knackered at the end but managed to keep going. Very happy with my 52% grading.
    Well done Nigel, 52% is a very good grading for a first parkrun. Which one did you do?

Blog Entries
    A gentler 11km with my wife this AM…. It’s nice taking it easy…. A change of pace!

A gentler 11km with my wife this AM…. It’s nice taking it easy…. A change of pace!
    Not managed to get out today, but going to try an off-road 10k on Monday hopefully. I live in London so can really class it as a cross country!

Blog Entries
    Not managed to get out today, but going to try an off-road 10k on Monday hopefully. I live in London so can really class it as a cross country!
    I saw a Heron on my run!!!

Did my 100th Parkrun yesterday. Having never done exercise as an adult, I started running at the age of 49, starting with Parkruns and have now done 6 half marathons. Parkrun PB 21:10 (my first was 38 minutes and I could only run 500m before needing to walk).
    So, for anyone just starting out or thinking about it, it really is possible to improve fitness and as long as you are careful in building up distance, long runs are also possible. Get out there and enjoy it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    Did my 100th Parkrun yesterday. Having never done exercise as an adult, I started running at the age of 49, starting with Parkruns and have now done 6 half marathons. Parkrun PB 21:10 (my first was 38 minutes and I could only run 500m before needing to walk).
    So, for anyone just starting out or thinking about it, it really is possible to improve fitness and as long as you are careful in building up distance, long runs are also possible. Get out there and enjoy it.
    That is impressive, both getting to the 100, and the times. I am stuck on 97, and not run for close to 6 weeks now. Forecasting it will be end of July before I get to the century. However, it does mean that I am racking up my volunteering, which is now at 16.

Blog Entries
    Morning run through fields of wheat - up there with taking your country to the brink of Brexit Armageddon on the naughtiness factor

Blog Entries
    A 'gentler' 6km for me today - but it felt like hard work after a week of beer und sausage in Stuttgart

z

Morning run through fields of wheat - up there with taking your country to the brink of Brexit Armageddon on the naughtiness factor

😂😂

10k for me but it was tough! To be honest I just wanted the May 10k trophy on Strava!!

Blog Entries

That’s barely son, just saying.

Need to get you down to Suffolk on the farm hunky.

Hugs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    That’s barely son, just saying.

Need to get you down to Suffolk on the farm hunky.

Hugs
    Old yocal country boy knows his crops…. Didn’t see that coming!!!

Craftsman
    15 weeks out from my first half marathon. I'm happy with my pace but seriously need to ramp up the distance on longer runs! Current longest is 14km (8.7 miles).

I'm starting to experience regular outer hip pain on the left hip during most runs. Comes on after around 20 minutes and stays with me. I think its a matter of being (and remaining) incredibly tight through the hips and hamstrings for many, many years. I'm trying to stretch daily and really hope this helps with increasing my distance! No other aches and pains to report after persevering through weak ankles.

Aiming for a sub-two hour half marathon.

Master
    The best advice I can give is not to run the full distance in training. For a 21km the Max I would do is 15km.

You are much better off doing tempo training and hill runs. From the sounds of it you are doing more damage than good!

The furthest I ran for my recent 56km was 38km.

Craftsman
    This is the 1st day since Saturday I'm not hobbling around with aching legs and I only run 3.1 mile.
    Hopefully it will get easier.

Craftsman
    Looking at the above posts I realize what a complete novice I am!

4th run since starting back jogging last week and have gone from struggling to run half a mile to today's 1.5 miles without stopping in less than 9min pace.Planning on one more mile and half on Saturday then aiming for a 2mile next week.

Aim is 3m/5k within 6 weeks and sub 30mins.

Calf muscles are bloody sore tho!!