closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The problem with running is the vicious circle effect. Usually they're caused by over-use/over-exertion, you rest till they go away, but then go out and repeat the activity that caused them in the first place. Trying to get to the underlying cause is difficult without professional medical help and that can be expensive without any guarantee of success. One of my yardsticks was to continue light training if the injury wasn`t getting worse, but sometimes that can prolong recovery and create a situation where the problem becomes chronic.

I was extremely fortunate, I worked for a big employer on a large site which had its own physiotherapy room for treatment of work-related injuries. I got free physio treatment 3 times/week if required and I learned quite a lot. After tearing an Achilles I was told it would never be the same again and strongly advised to quit running aged 26.....that didn`t go down well but over the years her prophesy has proved correct.

Simply doing too much running, or too much hard running, can lead to injuries. Everyone has a different threshold for training, just because the rest of your club can run 60+ miles/week doesn`t mean you can. Training hard every day means working tired legs hard, unfortunately that goes with the territory if you want to succeed, but it does increase the risk of breakdown. Running on alternate days and doing gym work (or cycling/swimming) on the others can work better for some, I did this in my 30s and felt a lot better.

People who work full time end up running on the roads in winter, that's a given for most folks, but I`d always advocate running on soft ground if possible, at least for some sessions. The pounding effect on hard surfaces does no-one any good, soft shoes help and replacing shoes regularly helps too.

Finally, I`ll share this one: After a trip to the gym recently I got the urge to have a run afterwards, it was a nice sunny afternoon so I parked up close to the woods locally and did some light running.....wearing a pair of shoes with no tread whatsoever. On encountering a patch of mud I ended up flat on the floor, falling on my right thumb and spraining it. It hurt, and it's still painful after 5 or 6 weeks. It stopped me working on watches for a while, and pints had to be lifted left-handed!

Be careful out there.
    Many thanks for your kind advise which HAS sunk in.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I checked on Google Maps (why didn't I think to do this before???) and the total distance is 5.84 km/3.62 miles.
    You may find this handy, the route will snap to walking paths and includes elevation if of interest:

https://onthegomap.com/#/create

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    You may find this handy, the route will snap to walking paths and includes elevation if of interest:

https://onthegomap.com/#/create
    This is an excellent tool to check/validate what my GPS based devices tell me. As I always run in heavily built up areas, GPS tracking can be ridiculous at times, particularly around tall buildings in Central London. Many thanks for sharing.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    This got a bit lost with all the injury advice, but what a brilliant performance! Ormeau Park or Victoria? How far off second...?!!

Cheers, we were on holiday down south so it was on narin beach in Donegal on the west of Ireland. Sand running is tough enough to be honest. There was about 100 there, a lot less than my regular one in Lisburn which has around 300. Best I've done there is 6th.

I was around 11 seconds behind the first place, but unfortunately just didn't have the puff this time.

Some great advice on this thread. I'm 41, only started running last year having turned 40 and not being active I decided it was time I did some form of exercise so started parkrun last August and joined the local running club, jog lisburn, this year. They've been great and the training and techniques have pulled my 5k time from 26 last year to 19.30 this year.

Not knowing anything about running I made rookie mistakes at the start eg zero stretches then off full pelt round the 5k. Ended up with a plantar fasciitis and a pulled hamstring within a few weeks of starting. Went to physio and got a lot of exercises to do which I religiously spend 30 mins doing before any run, and try to do them on the days I don't run too. Had zero issues since.

I've no interest in marathons, I reckon it would be too hard on me but I've my second 10k coming up this weekend, managed 46.50 on my first a few months ago so working toward sub 45 this time, and tempted to brave a half marathon at some stage tho I've still never ran past 8 miles yet so I know I need to get some more miles in my legs its just tough while working full time and having a 3 year old.

Great sport, I'm glad I started it and the head space it gives when your out is tremendous.

Grand Master
    I still find the popularity of half- marathons surprising, it’s a bloody long way to run! Unless folks really enjoy running over 10 miles (I never did) it makes sense to stick to 10K in my opinion. You don’t need to be super- fit to do 10K in reasonable comfort, but 13 miles us a totally different ball- game. Unless you’re reasonably quick you’re running for over 1.5 hrs, that’s a long time. The faster you run the easier it is, sounds counter intuitive but its true.

Prior to the marathon mania of the 80s it was common to find 5 and 10 mile races, half marathons were rare and marathons were only for a certain minority who couldn't run quick over anything shorter......OK, I’m exaggerating a little but that’s how it seemed in the 70s!, few runners did marathons. My background is short middle- distance track running so 5 miles on the road was far enough for me, or 6 mile cross country races if I was pushed. I was never suited to running big mileage, either physically or mentally.

It’s interesting to read the comments on this thread, I wish everyone well in their efforts. Despite my current limitations (chronic ankle problems, one suspect knee, and advancing years) I’m managing to do a modest amount of running and I may aspire to try a park run soon. Pontefract Racecourse is my nearest one....but it’s horsework to run round

Be careful out there!

Master
    Did the Dunstable Downs Parkrun yesterday, stunning views on such lovely day. Anyone local should look to do this one, just do not expect a fast time on this rare, one lap hilly course.
    I was on my way to Nottingham for the National Triathlon Relays, but was in just a fun team (our club had 17 teams there), so was not too worried about doing the morning 5k as well.

Master
    I have the Bristol half in a few weeks and would like to get under 2 hours, although I don’t think I’m there yet.

I have a question, I run in skins running tights and it seems to help prevent injury. However, for the actual race,would anyone recommend wearing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I have a question, I run in skins running tights and it seems to help prevent injury. However, for the actual race,would anyone recommend wearing them?
    Over the winter months, and if being stupid enough to run with a bit of a strain (as I tend to...), I wear skins half-tights quite regularly.

Grand Master
    Can’t see how skins/tights can prevent injury, but I believe in keeping legs warm in winter. I can’t stand anything tight to run in, I’ve always been the same, can’t understand why anyone runs in tight- fitting attire.

Can’t see how skins/tights can prevent injury, but I believe in keeping legs warm in winter. I can’t stand anything tight to run in, I’ve always been the same, can’t understand why anyone runs in tight- fitting attire.
    Tbh me neither unless maybe it's very cold, not much of an issue here, quite the reverse at present. I run in swimmers/board shorts as I usually jump in the sea/pool at the end of the run anyway, kinda think the whole tights prevent injury thing might just be a marketing driven conceit/fiction. Though obviously I'm happy for anyone who does derive benefit. Horses/apparel for courses as they say.

I have the Bristol half in a few weeks and would like to get under 2 hours, although I don’t think I’m there yet.

I think the real answer is to run in whatever is comfortable and doesn’t chaff. Don’t wear a different pair of shorts, T-shirt, tights, socks or shoes for the first time tackling a half, race or otherwise. Wear kit you’re comfortable in and is known to behave well. Old worn kit is the preference (and hopefully worn in similar weather conditions prior to the race!) as generally it has been worn in to you!

Good luck with Bristol, it’s a good race and watch out for the fast and furious start as everyone gets unleashed, try and find a rhythm at your pace and stick with it!

Master
    I can’t explain how great they are. It’s like wearing a knee brace for all your legs. It keeps stuff in place, so it prevents strains and sprains.

I have a slightly dodgy knee and it really helps.

I'm equally not sure about the benefits but it seems to be very much in vogue. SWMBO bought me some, what I assume were fairly expensive, Kossmann running gear a couple of years ago which necessitated going to a shop to make sure the sizing was right. I ended up going for trackie bottoms in a large as the small and medium resembled this:

The shop assistant didn't seem to see the funny side when I explained that I wanted to go running as opposed to running off to join the Bolshoi.

Don't get me started on running socks - they seemed to be specifically designed to cut off the circulation to your feet.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Don't get me started on running socks - they seemed to be specifically designed to cut off the circulation to your feet.
    I believe that is exactly what they are designed to do - compress your feet and lower legs to ‘improve’ circulation.

As for the running tights, next time just make it clear from the outset that chestnut size won’t fit in your case, and send the assistant to the storeroom for a pair of lunchbox specials instead.

Blog Entries
    I’m in recovery stage from shin splints and was wearing calf guards every run leading up to the problem.

When I told my physio this last week she did roll her eyes a bit. As you may be aware my issue is all about the slickness of everything around the shin!!!!!!

Pitch

I ran 19+ miles yesterday (for the first time) in the heat. I've got all sorts of aches and pains today .

I've now got just 2 more long runs to go before the Berlin marathon . Is anyone else running in it?

What are people's views on running with a weighted vest, not just sprints/hill sprints but for a couple of miles.

I hate running at the best of time's, but occasionally subject myself to a stomp through the woods with my weigh vest on ( 10k and it's a "proper" one that can be used to run with) so far never stuck in more than 5/6 miles with it, but curious about opinions.

Grand Master
    Can’t see the point in running with extra weight, why not simply forget the weights and run faster, or run on a hilly demanding course? Your legs are designed to carry your body weight, running with extra weight has to put more stress on the knees, ankles and back, all areas that tend to give trouble when old age catches up.

Master
    Your legs are designed to carry your body weight, running with extra weight has to put more stress on the knees, ankles and back, all areas that tend to give trouble when old age catches up.
    I’m no expert but the above resonates with me.

I recorded one of my slowest ever 5k this morning. Took me 32:30 to run 5.05 km. It was because the first half involved a relentless climb up a mountain road ... 255 metres ascent in 2.5 km. The second half on the way back didn’t make up for all the lost time but I don’t care, the scenery was stunning!

Master
    Blog Entries

I have don't the Bristol half for the past two years, be warned the start of the course is pretty boring. The second half is great though and there is normally a good turn out.

Have fun

Grand Master
    Milestone achievement for me tonight.

Despite a a history of chronic achilles/ankle problems, a knee cartilage operation 2 years ago, and serious illness in 2014, I’ve managed to run continuously for 34 minutes tonight with no stops, at roughly 8 mins mins/mile pace on an undulating off-road course. I’ve been jogging/ running for several weeks, alternating walking and running to avoid stress on my legs, but finally felt fit enough to give it a real go tonight. Felt OK afterwards, checked my heart rate 20 mins after stopping and it was down to around 80, didn’t feel unduly distressed (knackered ) at any point, either during the run or afterwards.

I’m both pleased and frustrated, it’s great to be able to do some running again, but at the age of 61 it’s a bit late for making a comeback! Having a background in competitive running as a youngster is still paying dividends, I’ve always kept reasonably fit in the gym despite being unable to run for long periods, and I’ve avoided putting much weight on. I’m surprised how easy it’s been to get back to running and feeling comfortable again, I’ve been getting out twice/ week plus a couple of gym sessions and plenty of walking, but I don’t feel like I’ve worked hard at it. The one thing that really helps is weight training to build/maintain leg strength, I can’t stress this strongly enough, anyone who runs should consider gym work. I do more leg work than I’ve ever done and I’m sure it’s paid off.

I’ll settle for 2 or 3 runs/week, maximum 40 minutes, avoiding roads. If I can manage that consistently I’ll be happy.

No fitbits, no graphs, no heart rate monitors, no apps on phones, no skin tight silly clothing, a Casio f91 and a half- decent pair of shoes will suffice. To quote the Nike t shirt......’Just do it’, it really is that simple. So easy to over- think it thesedays, a mistake in my opinion but I grew up in an era when there was no choice but to trust your own judgement and run how you felt.

Might have a crack at a park run soon, there’s a nice one locally that’s almost all on soft ground......that'll do nicely. Looking after my old legs has to be a priority, but there’s definitely a few more miles left in them.

Master
    Well done!

You’re an experienced runner so I’m sure I don’t need to tell you this, but be careful to give your body a bit of recovery time after reaching such a milestone. So many people get a rush after reaching their target, then go out again the next day and get injured.

I’d second your point about gym work. It’s not just for leg strength, but as you get older doing weight bearing exercise helps maintain bone density - again important for avoiding injury (and keeping you running/active for longer)

Good work Paul.

Well done Paul. Getting to the start of the run is often the biggest challenge and I always only run on alternate days as a minimum as I'm scared of picking up an injury.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Grand Master
    Thanks for the comments, even though I’m old (definitely) and wise (allegedly) I’m conscious of the need to proceed with caution. I can give advice based on experience, now’s the time to heed it myself and don’t get carried away!

Had a trip to the gym today and did my usual full-body session, including the leg work. I’m totally convinced that building leg strength has helped a lot, that’s why I advise folks to work on this aspect rather than simply rely on running.

I now nominate myself as a fully- fledged member of the TZ running club

Craftsman
    Well the fast 5k went well this morning - 19.06!

Previous PB to this week was 21.18 set nearly 12 months ago as it’s not a distance I often run hard

It was a big effort although I wish I had taken an extra 7s off!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Well the fast 5k went well this morning - 19.06!

Previous PB to this week was 21.18 set nearly 12 months ago as it’s not a distance I often run hard

It was a big effort although I wish I had taken an extra 7s off!
    You've used the word 'run' there, I'm assuming you meant 'motorbike'...!

Grand Master
    That’s a good improvement over 1 year.....but you’re a young’un so you should be able to run quick!

I think my days of running sub-6 minute miles are well behind me. The one and only 5K I ever did was as a 15 yr old in 1973, time was under 17 mins if I remember rightly.

Had another good run today with some serious hills, if I can keep the legs in good condition I’ll be doing a park run soon, 24 mins would be a good target. I could do with losing a few pounds first I’m around 8 pounds over where I should be. Less weight to carry helps the legs too, I don’t intend trying to run hard before I’m ready, it’s a mistake to try too hard too soon.

Master
    Hi Paul - I am close to 10 years older than you and started running again 3 years ago after a short break of 22 years. First parkrun was over 32 minutes, the second even slower. Now down to 22 minutes so it can be done. Just make sure you are enjoying it as I am! Andrzej

Craftsman
    Completed my first half marathon, the Great North Run, this morning. Cracked my goal of a sub-two hour half, clocking in at just under 1hr 56m. As very much a ‘non-runner’ I’ll happily take that. Fantastic event, would highly recommend!

Having started running with just 2-3 miles back in January I completed 21 miles yesterday in under 4 hours. I have to say I was really pleased, though I did have to go up the stairs on all fours afterwards.

Now I taper down to get ready for the Berlin marathon in 3 weeks. My target remains 5 hours.

I might be hanging up my shoes after that, (lifetime bucket list item ticked off) ... but then again I might not as I really enjoyed the seafront route... Its all on strava.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TAG0001; 8th September 2019 at 20:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    Completed my first half marathon, the Great North Run, this morning. Cracked my goal of a sub-two hour half, clocking in at just under 1hr 56m. As very much a ‘non-runner’ I’ll happily take that. Fantastic event, would highly recommend!
    Well done, what a feeling!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    Congrats. Having done my first HM a few weeks ago the feeling is still fresh.

Looking forward to hearing your further progress. I have been pretty inactive since but hoping to start a little light running this week.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Milestone achievement for me tonight.

I’ll settle for 2 or 3 runs/week, maximum 40 minutes, avoiding roads. If I can manage that consistently I’ll be happy.

No fitbits, no graphs, no heart rate monitors, no apps on phones, no skin tight silly clothing, a Casio f91 and a half- decent pair of shoes will suffice. To quote the Nike t shirt......’Just do it’, it really is that simple. So easy to over- think it these days, a mistake in my opinion but I grew up in an era when there was no choice but to trust your own judgement and run how you felt.

Might have a crack at a park run soon, there’s a nice one locally that’s almost all on soft ground......that'll do nicely. Looking after my old legs has to be a priority, but there’s definitely a few more miles left in them.

At 52 and 4 months in of regular running,my aim is the same,run 2/3 times a week,doubt I will ever run more than a 10k..in fact,5 miles is the furthest I've run so far.

Personally I like my Garmin watch,the stats etc,gives my a bit of motivation to get out and "improve" my times/fitness/vo2 etc,but that's personal choice..and yes,sometimes its just nice to get out and just "run " without goals,no question,but the competitive part of me likes having goals to aim for.

First time under 25mins for 5k last week,a good 5 mins quicker than when I started,I get less calf pain,I have increased my stamina and according to the garmin vo2 is up to 44/45 from 40 when I started so small goals I aimed for when starting have been achieved.

No trying some interval running with sprinting/walking just to mix it up..may even try a Parkrun before the years out.
    Its getting to the stage if I've not been out for a run for 4/5 days I get a bit miffed.

Not sure about running with a club as I like the solitude of running on my own,a great way of de-stressing.

Master
    Running in Turkey still means risking your life.
    There are few pavements, and in any event are used for parking. Drivers are invariably on the phone, eating and putting their make-up on, all at the same time. Even scooter drivers manage to text. On the rare occasions they do see you, they then play the chicken game, getting as close as they can. My wife thinks I come back from the runs sweating cos of the heat. It is actually the fear!

Craftsman
    Over the past couple of years I've notched up 5 marathons and several half-marathons.

Best time on marathon came last November with a 4h03 time but the next 2 really saw my performance dropping (did 3 in 6 months). The one thing I'd advise anyone thinking about getting into marathons is that they are damn addictive but doing more than 1 or 2 a year really hammers the body pretty hard. I really got to the stage of not wanting to run more marathons and am now looking at an ultra-trail for next summer (55k).

I ended up taking a few months off prep from May onwards, running bits & pieces over the summer months but nothing serious (probably ate & drank too much too). Its amazing how quickly you loose the capacity to run longer distances and fast speeds - now back in training for a few weeks as I'll be pacing my local half for the 2h marker.

I have just completed the Berlin marathon () but fitbit tells me I ran 28.6 miles despite religiously following the blue line. My time suffered as a consequence but am damn pleased I did it. Details on the strava group.

Master
    Well done! I entered the ballot for London 2020 but have no where near the fitness and technique that it would undoubtedly demand. I will have to train with some serious discipline if my name comes up. I am thinking of entering my name for Berlin 2020 if I don’t get into London as I would like to tick the marathon box next year.

Master
    I can’t explain how great they are. It’s like wearing a knee brace for all your legs. It keeps stuff in place, so it prevents strains and sprains.

I have a slightly dodgy knee and it really helps.
    That’s interesting, I gave up using full length skins a few years ago on the events I do, as by the end of the two days my knees felt really sore. It took a while for the penny to drop, but I’m convinced the skins were so tight (as they’re meant to be) that they were pulling on my kneecap.

I now use Salomon calf guards and compression shorts and don’t experience knee soreness anywhere near as much.

Journeyman
    Nice run yesterday, Victoria park relays in Belfast. 2.1 miles (2 laps) in teams of 4.

Standards were amazingly high so our team was never going to do massively well but we battled into 25th place out of 50 something teams. The craic, support and weather were fantastic.

I was first out, managed 5.50 for the first mile and 6.10 for the second so averaged at 6.01 over the 2. I don't know how some of you boys manage sub 6 for distance.

This shot looks good with me leading the pack, but don't be deceived, there is more in front than behind

Blog Entries
    Thats a superb pace IB, well done.

I did the Lowestoft Half Marathon yesterday, first stab at the distance in yellow weather warning conditions, rain and wind was Biblical and the waves crashing over the seawall on the final mile in was brutal with a head wind.

With running starting in January this year I would never have imagined I would be doing this yesterday and a respectable, for me, 1:54:39.

The run for the line .......

11 miles in, I'm in the cap..

Fantastic time and great photos.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Thats a superb pace IB, well done.

I did the Lowestoft Half Marathon yesterday, first stab at the distance in yellow weather warning conditions, rain and wind was Biblical and the waves crashing over the seawall on the final mile in was brutal with a head wind.

With running starting in January this year I would never have imagined I would be doing this yesterday and a respectable, for me, 1:54:39.

The run for the line .......

11 miles in, I'm in the cap..

Great running. I did my first half last month. Its a tough distance.

Master
    Aren’t we an active bunch :)

Anyone else at the Great South Run in a couple of weeks ? I’ll be amongst the pack in club colours - ‘portsmouth joggers’
    After a few months out with hamstring trouble I’m hoping to improve again this year - I’ve gone from 1.47 to 1.33 . Aiming for 1.25 this year . Good luck if you’re there - it’s a great run :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    Aren’t we an active bunch :)

Anyone else at the Great South Run in a couple of weeks ? I’ll be amongst the pack in club colours - ‘portsmouth joggers’
    After a few months out with hamstring trouble I’m hoping to improve again this year - I’ve gone from 1.47 to 1.33 . Aiming for 1.25 this year . Good luck if you’re there - it’s a great run :)
    Thinking of doing it in a Southampton kit for giggles!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Thinking of doing it in a Southampton kit for giggles!
    Go for it - the atmosphere is lovely - it’ll raise a giggle or 2

I did a Spartan super over the weekend, 15k through the woods and the shit, with some silly obstacles thrown in.

Wading through a lot of shit, losing a shoe at 5k and generally being a tiny bit to unfit, it was 3 and a bit hours of "fun" Now to continue training for the next one.

Legs are burning like a mother today, but glad I did it

Craftsman
    Ran my first marathon on Sunday in Bournemouth

Really tough but pushed through and managed to come in 1 second under my target time with 3.29.59!

- - - Updated - - -

Really tough but pushed through and managed to come in 1 second under my target time with 3.29.59!

Congratulations! I ran it too

I found it mentally challenging to deal with the fact that, my watch said I ran 26.7 miles... 28.6 must've been a bit soul destroying!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    I have just completed the Berlin marathon () but fitbit tells me I ran 28.6 miles despite religiously following the blue line. My time suffered as a consequence but am damn pleased I did it. Details on the strava group.

Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I am not worthy! Congrats