closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I have a detailed health assessment coming up next month. This time I have selected a fitness test as part of it. The description talks about heart rate zones and fitness level. I am hoping it will tell me my actual max HR and fat burning vs fitness improving HR zones based on physical tests rather than just giving me the numbers based on generic formulae. I am also keen to find out my actual VO2Max (if included in the assessment) from an exercise based test and see how much it deviates from what my Polar H10 chest strapped HR monitor says.
    That should be fascinating if its a good detailed test, Id love to do a proper max heart rate and VO2 test. Post how it goes

4 mile recover run for me - managed to keep speed and heart rate down, made easier by tired legs!

Charlie

12.5 miles, 1500 ft of ascent. Done by 11.30 but still a pretty hot one!

Journeyman
    Managed to hit the 20 minute mark for the first time on the 5k parkrun this morning. Was pretty tough to be honest but glad I achieved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post
    Managed to hit the 20 minute mark for the first time on the 5k parkrun this morning. Was pretty tough to be honest but glad I achieved it.
    Excellent effort. Have wondered how close I could get to that, might have to find out at some point..

Master
    Good running - well done.

Master
    In Romania at the moment for the European Duathlon Championships as part of the GB team, and got silver in my age group. Have not run for 10 weeks owing to a hamstring injury, so took it easy all the way round, (27 minutes for first 5k run for example), but being so very old, it was still enough. Cannot walk today, but knew that would be the "payback".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    In Romania at the moment for the European Duathlon Championships as part of the GB team, and got silver in my age group. Have not run for 10 weeks owing to a hamstring injury, so took it easy all the way round, (27 minutes for first 5k run for example), but being so very old, it was still enough. Cannot walk today, but knew that would be the "payback".
    Excellent effort! Enjoy the well-deserved rest.

Master
    20 min is a great achievement. One that doesn’t even look like a remote possibility for me at present. Well done!

Master

Superb!!

Craftsman
    Good man, wish I could manage that at the Tring park run

Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    As the novice new boy to the running club the posts here always give me encouragement to keep at it.

7weeks in and managed my first non stop 30 min run and covered 3 and a half miles this morning.

Still having a few calf problems but much better than when I started ,calf rolling is helping.sky high heart rate while running is a bit of a concern...peaked at 177 which for a man nearing 52 scares me a bit I'm overdoing it?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
    I think you resting HR is the one to watch, and recovery to resting rather than peak. I often hit 170-185 when training but it comes back down quickly.

Craftsman
    Think I've been pushing to hard,pretty much going as fast as I can which has probably been a mistake.

Last night,as wasn't really feeling it, decided to just go for a slow jog.

4 miles in 40mins,the furthest and longest I've ran for since starting and for once I didn't feel completely exhausted afterwards, heart rate was a lot lower too.

It's trial and error at the moment with the pace and length of runs,but getting towards some sort of plan slowly.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Excellent result. Also, if you dont mind me saying, excellent moustache!

Winning a medal while wearing a Team GB flag is a very very special thing

3 miles just under 22 min tempo run for me today and 4 miles slowly yesterday - very poor nights sleep on Sunday which always nocks me, need my 8 hrs a night

Great work, Andrzej!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    One man's 'easy all the way round' is another man's PB! Superb, sir.

I'm truly in awe of some of these performances - whether it is the weight-losers, the ultras or the oldies (sorry Andrzej, the not that oldies then). From a standing start in Jan, I've just done 26.15 for my fifth Haigh parkrun, and a de facto (as in first in, ahem, 30 years) 10k PB this morning at 57.09, And I really need a lie-down. Could we have a few more fair-to-mediocre times like these here please...

Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post

I'm truly in awe of some of these performances - whether it is the weight-losers, the ultras or the oldies (sorry Andrzej, the not that oldies then). From a standing start in Jan, I've just done 26.15 for my fifth Haigh parkrun, and a de facto (as in first in, ahem, 30 years) 10k PB this morning at 57.09, And I really need a lie-down. Could we have a few more fair-to-mediocre times like these here please...
    and thats as great an achivement as anything anyone else has posted here. Every single runner looks at other peoples times and wonders if we could go a bit faster. We always can, we're just all at different stages of our own journeys.

Just realised the run I did yesterday was the fastest average time Ive ever recorded in 1500 miles of Garmin ownership at least, probably ever in 20 years of very amateurish running. Quite pleasing on my 44th birthday

Did a personal best of 34'29"49 tonight doing my usual route. I checked on Google Maps (why didn't I think to do this before???) and the total distance is 5.84 km/3.62 miles. There were so many flies about that I momentarily ceased to be vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Did a personal best of 34'29"49 tonight doing my usual route. I checked on Google Maps (why didn't I think to do this before???) and the total distance is 5.84 km/3.62 miles. There were so many flies about that I momentarily ceased to be vegetarian.
    Google Earth is also great for plotting runs and has elevation profiles, which is cool

6 miles @ half marathon heart rate for me

Master
    PB for me yesterday ... 5.7km in 26:27. My usual route is 5.2km and I have managed that in 24:15 so didn't realise yesterday was quicker despite taking well over 2 extra minutes. Of course the additional half kilometre would take minutes, not seconds. Slow progress but at least the direction is correct.

Some good milages going on in Strava - well done all of us!

4 mile recovery for me. Its hot!

Blog Entries

Mate - just did a 10km in an hour today…. Very steady in the mid day heat

57 is decent…. My old age PB is only 54 mins!….. Don’t diminish what we do… we run and do well!

Plenty of plodders in this group don’t worry

I’m on 525km at the half way stage of the year and want to achieve +1000km by year end…

It’s all about getting out and enjoying it

I even look vaguely bronzed now…. I had lovely trot out along the canal when waiting for my tyres to be replaced at Costco…. Broke up my workday certainly!

Master
    I just admire anyone willing to get out and run, and the Parkruns are very supportive and do give a great atmosphere and camaraderie. Here at Harrow and the surrounding runs, if (as at present) I cannot run, I want to be volunteering, and seeing and encouraging those there. I finally persuaded one of my running friends from 30 years ago (and he was quite good) to come along to Harrow, and after 6 months he is going round in 32 minutes or so, but like me really enjoying it. Whereas before I used to run hard on the roads and track all the time, now I do trail runs cross country runs, runs through Ruislip woods and footpaths, and am grateful to be out there.

Blog Entries
    I just admire anyone willing to get out and run, and the Parkruns are very supportive and do give a great atmosphere and camaraderie. Here at Harrow and the surrounding runs, if (as at present) I cannot run, I want to be volunteering, and seeing and encouraging those there. I finally persuaded one of my running friends from 30 years ago (and he was quite good) to come along to Harrow, and after 6 months he is going round in 32 minutes or so, but like me really enjoying it. Whereas before I used to run hard on the roads and track all the time, now I do trail runs cross country runs, runs through Ruislip woods and footpaths, and am grateful to be out there.
    Well said…

Master
    Many thanks for the pep talk(s) gents - much appreciated. I guess I've reached that plateau stage - no longer slashing minutes from the PB every time out and genuine hard work required to shave even a few seconds, if at all (the first time I parkran slower than the previous week, I was distraught...). Sticking at it though!

Master
    Sticking at it though!
    That’s more important than anything else 👍

Master
    Novice runner here, and been dipping in and out of this thread for some time. Encouraged by all the progress and inspirational stories.

Signed up for a Half Marathon at the end of this month and have been following a schedule to try to get strong enough to run it.

Yesterday completed longest run so far, at just over 16k, but my goodness I was absolutely all over the place after it. I did 13.5k the week before and was not as bad. I am thinking I am getting the nutrition wrong, and maybe just ran out of energy and became very dehydrated. I did not have breakfast (never do!) and only a couple of morning coffees yesterday.

Any advice on how I can get through the last couple of longer training runs and the half itself in terms of nutrition?

I have read online, and reading that perhaps I do need to have breakfast, perhaps some gels or sweets for the run. But not sure if that will upset my routine as have always run on empty stomach!

I may have mentioned this before, but my Hoka One One SpeedGoat trail shoes are outstanding. They're very light, extremely cushioned and comfortable, and handle the gravel and dirt trails with aplomb. Mine are first generation, but now they offer the SpeedGoat 3, which is said to be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I may have mentioned this before, but my Hoka One One SpeedGoat trail shoes are outstanding. They're very light, extremely cushioned and comfortable, and handle the gravel and dirt trails with aplomb. Mine are first generation, but now they offer the SpeedGoat 3, which is said to be even better.

Jazzy!

What are they like on the road? I tend to do mixed runs so need somthing that can do everything - havent found that magic shoe quite yet

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Novice runner here, and been dipping in and out of this thread for some time. Encouraged by all the progress and inspirational stories.

Signed up for a Half Marathon at the end of this month and have been following a schedule to try to get strong enough to run it.

Yesterday completed longest run so far, at just over 16k, but my goodness I was absolutely all over the place after it. I did 13.5k the week before and was not as bad. I am thinking I am getting the nutrition wrong, and maybe just ran out of energy and became very dehydrated. I did not have breakfast (never do!) and only a couple of morning coffees yesterday.

Any advice on how I can get through the last couple of longer training runs and the half itself in terms of nutrition?

I have read online, and reading that perhaps I do need to have breakfast, perhaps some gels or sweets for the run. But not sure if that will upset my routine as have always run on empty stomach!
    Personally I think breakfast before a long run is sensible, min of 2hrs before hand though. Ive never used gels etc for half marathons - theyre definitley not necessary IMO. Hydration is the key, and its my bet that was your problem rather than food. Making sure you're well hydrated in the run up to a run is really really key in this weather or you'll feel awful and be very sub par performance wise. I did 12 miles this morn, I drank around a pint of water at breakfast, sipped maybe 300ml on the drive in, say 600 mls on the run itself and a pint of water when I was done and another at home. Had a good run, no performance issues but still had darker than usual pee (sorry - cant avoid getting a bit biological..) later in the day. Good hydration is the key to performing well over longer distances, and as the Army say if you dont want a pee you havent drunk enough

All IMO and based on my own experience etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Equus View Post
    Jazzy!

What are they like on the road? I tend to do mixed runs so need somthing that can do everything - havent found that magic shoe quite yet
    Not sure how the sole lugs will hold up, but I love mine for short treks on the pavement...very nice ride.

Whatever you do, practice it now and not on race day! Practicing nutrition and fluids now is as important as your actual running. You probably don’t need to do more than 18-19km in training, increase by 10% per week.
    I will eat breakfast (granola, a banana) 2-3 hours before a half and will use a gel or two on a long run or a half, but am guilty of not drinking enough and I’m sure that impacts performance more than the gels. My advice would be to stop and walk at the hydration stations, make sure you have a cup or two, it is very hard to drink from a cup whilst running. Also, don’t have hydrolytes unless you have practiced with them beforehand, they can have unfortunate consequences.
    Good luck.

Master
    Personally I think breakfast before a long run is sensible, min of 2hrs before hand though. Ive never used gels etc for half marathons - theyre definitley not necessary IMO. Hydration is the key, and its my bet that was your problem rather than food. Making sure you're well hydrated in the run up to a run is really really key in this weather or you'll feel awful and be very sub par performance wise. I did 12 miles this morn, I drank around a pint of water at breakfast, sipped maybe 300ml on the drive in, say 600 mls on the run itself and a pint of water when I was done and another at home. Had a good run, no performance issues but still had darker than usual pee (sorry - cant avoid getting a bit biological..) later in the day. Good hydration is the key to performing well over longer distances, and as the Army say if you dont want a pee you havent drunk enough

That is very useful advice, thank you. I think you are absolutely right. I got to about 8k and my mouth was absolutely dry, I needed water. i should have took the hint and stopped at a shop.
    I find drinking too much before a run gives me a bloated feeling with all that water swishing around in my stomach! I guess it goes away as you get into the run. Same with eating before a run, I have never done it, but will I guess give it a go on my next long run and see how the body reacts. Also, when drinking some volume before a run I always end up needing the loo, which has led me to simply avoid drinking beforehand! I need to tweak these things before the run in just under 3 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    Whatever you do, practice it now and not on race day! Practicing nutrition and fluids now is as important as your actual running. You probably don’t need to do more than 18-19km in training, increase by 10% per week.
    I will eat breakfast (granola, a banana) 2-3 hours before a half and will use a gel or two on a long run or a half, but am guilty of not drinking enough and I’m sure that impacts performance more than the gels. My advice would be to stop and walk at the hydration stations, make sure you have a cup or two, it is very hard to drink from a cup whilst running. Also, don’t have hydrolytes unless you have practiced with them beforehand, they can have unfortunate consequences.
    Good luck.

Again great advice which I will follow. I checked the course route yesterday and they have 5 hydration stations, which seems a nice amount and will give me plenty of hydration for the duration.

That is very useful advice, thank you. I think you are absolutely right. I got to about 8k and my mouth was absolutely dry, I needed water. i should have took the hint and stopped at a shop.
    I find drinking too much before a run gives me a bloated feeling with all that water swishing around in my stomach! I guess it goes away as you get into the run. Same with eating before a run, I have never done it, but will I guess give it a go on my next long run and see how the body reacts. Also, when drinking some volume before a run I always end up needing the loo, which has led me to simply avoid drinking beforehand! I need to tweak these things before the run in just under 3 weeks!

Again great advice which I will follow. I checked the course route yesterday and they have 5 hydration stations, which seems a nice amount and will give me plenty of hydration for the duration.
    I think the thing that works best for me is little and often right before and during the run, but also be generally quite paranoid about staying hydrated. Much easier to stay hydrated that try to catch up a deficit.

12 miles for me on Sat, 9:20 ish pace, 1500ft of climb, 4 miles today easy pace, though as ever struggled to stay slow enough

Master
    The other day I was complaining about finding it difficult to run slower than my normal pace. The horrible knee pain I have been suffering from since the end of last week helped me "achieve" that today lol ... 10.4 km in 56:24. No walking involved, just slow and steady while trying to minimise the pain at impact all the way through. Knee actually feels slightly better than it did before the run!

Blog Entries
    Great stories here guys and well done all the TZ club is going great.

After my 2-3 year break before starting again in January, I am now down to 23:23 for 5k finding 7min something mile pace is getting easier and dropping. First 10k race for nearly 4 years next Wednesday pending a visit to the physio tomorrow and hoping to break the 50 min barrier.

You can see I am trying, sheer pain on my face 400m from the finish ...... Parkrun pic two weeks ago.

Journeyman
    Great running. The 7 minute mile is a tough one to maintain.

12x 400m repeats at 7:20m/mile ish pace. Quite a tough one!

Craftsman
    Jazzy!

I’ve got 3 pairs of trail running shoes. Of the 3 two are good for mixed running on and off road. For harder trails I use Brooks Cascadia and for softer trails I use Inov8 roclites as they have better grip. Both are fine on the road as well.

Craftsman
    I’m trying to get back into it since moving to Malta at the start of the year. I’ve put about 1.5 stone on and running in the heat is hard work. I got down to 20 min 5k in the U.K. and before moving over was running 30-40 miles a week. I’m absolutely destroyed running 3 miles at the moment so I think I need to join a club to get me motivated.

Master
    Recently back into it after some hamstring trouble put my pace out for a couple of months - summer cross country race was the first run I’d felt anywhere near form since Easter

Captured for posterity - the brief moment I broke from the pack . It looks far more impressive than it is !

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    I’ve got 3 pairs of trail running shoes. Of the 3 two are good for mixed running on and off road. For harder trails I use Brooks Cascadia and for softer trails I use Inov8 roclites as they have better grip. Both are fine on the road as well.
    Thanks for that. Am a Books man but Inov8 seem to be huge off road, will have to try some on

Master

Followed this advice on a longer run on Friday, and was a MUCH better run.

I had toast in the morning (never usually have breakfast) with a pint of water. Little more water before setting out, and a break in between for a drink. Although I still struggled a little, the run was much more bearable and enjoyable. It was also less hot this time, so that helped. Followed up with a 5k parkrun yesterday and will get out for an 8k or so shortly.

Two weeks to go for my first ever HM - one more week of work and then the final week I will aim to stay calm and relaxed!

Master
    Ran home from work on Friday evening. Only the second time I’ve done that. A very slow 16.2 km in 1:35:52 but then it is more difficult in the heat with a heavy bag on my shoulders as opposed to my usual runs with nothing but my phone on me. Need to get a proper bag with waist belt for such runs as the current one just keeps bouncing on my back.

Blog Entries

TZUK Running Club

Pacing ; how to get it right?

I have a regular 5km run and a PB of 24:42 for this route... which seems a bit of a fluke given recent performance on the same route.

Today, I set off with my Fitbit on as usual so I get 1km pacing updates. All good for a few km - seemingly at my usual 5:10 per km ( ish ) pace ...

By my reckoning I thought at this pace I’d have some left in the tank for a quick final km...

However, on getting to the 4km mark I didn’t feel I had it in me, so decided to plod on...

... and that turned out to be my fastest km of the 5k ...when I thought I was maintaining 5:10 pace.

Clearly, I haven’t really got a clue how fast I’m going ... is there an app to update more frequently than my Fitbit 1km updates ?

z
    Last edited by zelig; 18th July 2019 at 12:10.

Craftsman
    Back running this week after a 12 day lay off with a pulled calf (pushed too hard for a 5k PB and stepped up from 2 to 3 runs a week,big mistake)

Gentle jog round Heaton Park last night,then tried a sprint at the end to test the calf,all ok.

then took the dog for a walk..
    Keep forgetting Strava updates all your activity,so thanks to the person who gave me kudos for the trot runs the fields with Walter the Cockerpoo!!

First run in just over 4 months, rattled out 5.5k.
    Was quite hard going but a beautiful morning in the Highlands 😀

Master
    10k and 5:30am today is making me virtuous on the way in to work this morning. I’ve not been able to run as much as I’ve wanted due to niggles so have been keeping up fitness on a bike.

Bournemouth Marathon 6th October next event.