closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SpydieNut View Post
    Congrats - that’s a very nice run and time for a 1/2M.
    Thank you!

My route planned was actually only around 15-16km to end up back where I started....But 3km from home I added that extra loop that you can see at the bottom of the map because I knew I still had the extra in the legs. I’m sore but nothing major

Quote Originally Posted by bitt3n View Post
    whether to stretch before or after a run (or at all) is something people debate.

might be interesting: https://www.runnersworld.com/beginne...after-running/
    Our trainers tell us not to stretch before, we stretch after. But we do a dynamic warm up. High knees, heel flicks, skips, easy shuttles etc before heading out.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Thanks guys - I've read that those foam rollers are good for 'rolling out' tight calf muscles...

...which I think is the route cause of my problem too. Anyone used one ?

TIA

z
    Yes I have one with different ridges on ,does help massaging the muscles,use before to loosen up and after to help recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

TZUK Running Club

I had the ice pack on much of yesterday and
    this just arrived - I have to say I’m very impressed.

It really does help - I used it before & after my gentle 10km walk today & it certainly helped loosen the calf muscles.

Bargain for £7.99

z

Might treat myself to one of those. Been upping my mileage recently and did 36k mostly trails yesterday and calves are a bit achy today!
    I guess you got that from Amazon?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Might treat myself to one of those. Been upping my mileage recently and did 36k mostly trails yesterday and calves are a bit achy today!
    I guess you got that from Amazon?!
    Yes - this one

z

Grand Master
    I suggest learning how to massage your calf muscles properly if you’re getting stiffness or tightening.

16 weeks on from my knee op I’m finally making progress and managing to jog on soft ground. Managed 22minutes today, still feeling some discomfort in the knee but its an ache rather than sharp pain and it isn’t reacting badly to running. I’m far more optimistic than I was 6 weeks ago, which is a big mental lift in the current crisis.

Master
    Only started road running in March with the lockdown. Love it! Aimed for 100km in April - made that to 135km, so aimed for 150km in May. With today’s run, I closed out May at 196km. Absolutely loving the time outdoors - the physical and mental targets, the head S P A C E, discipline to get there, and the ability to work on the suntan :-)

Blog Entries
    Strava informed me that I need a new pair of shoes as I've done over 500km in my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18.

They look ok to me...

As a (former) materials engineer I'm sceptical about the degradation of the foam in the sole - I'll have to look into that in more detail.

Any regular runners here change shoes every 500km ... if so why & do you notice any benefit ?

z

Master
    It varies a lot from shoe to shoe for me. I have a pair of Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 that started giving me unusual knee pain at around 250 km IIRC. I checked and found the soles had creased a lot on the sides. I reserved them for 5k runs only and haven't used them even for that once they got over 400 km. On the other hand, I have a pair of Saucony Ride ISO that I retired from running duties at 600 km but only because that distance was recommended by the salesman. With hindsight, I could have carried on running in them for longer. My next pair of exactly the same model is still in rotation at 750+ km and there is no sign of creasing and cushioning still feels like it's doing the job. However, I have decided not to do any more than 10-11 km sessions in them given the distance they have covered. My "long distance" Saucony Triumph 17 have only just gone over 300 km and I feel they will be another 800+ km shoe.

There are videos on YouTube that tell you how to check if your shoes need replacing. It's a good idea to do these tests on a brand new pair as soon as you get them so that you can tell the difference later.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    It varies a lot from shoe to shoe for me. I have a pair of Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 that started giving me unusual knee pain at around 250 km IIRC. I checked and found the soles had creased a lot on the sides. I reserved them for 5k runs only and haven't used them even for that once they got over 400 km. On the other hand, I have a pair of Saucony Ride ISO that I retired from running duties at 600 km but only because that distance was recommended by the salesman. With hindsight, I could have carried on running in them for longer. My next pair of exactly the same model is still in rotation at 750+ km and there is no sign of creasing and cushioning still feels like it's doing the job. However, I have decided not to do any more than 10-11 km sessions in them given the distance they have covered. My "long distance" Saucony Triumph 17 have only just gone over 300 km and I feel they will be another 800+ km shoe.

There are videos on YouTube that tell you how to check if your shoes need replacing. It's a good idea to do these tests on a brand new pair as soon as you get them so that you can tell the difference later.
    Good input - thanks for taking the time to respond.

As it happens I have recently developed some knee pain - so this could be the reason.

Why didn't it occur to me that might be the case ?

I'll check out the videos & thoroughly inspect my current shoes.

As it happens - I did take the advice from earlier in this thread to buy a duplicate pair of shoes that work for me - in case they are no longer available.
    - so I have an exact same pair ready to deploy if these are worn out.

z

Master
    As it happens - I did take the advice from earlier in this thread to buy a duplicate pair of shoes that work for me - in case they are no longer available.
    - so I have an exact same pair ready to deploy if these are worn out.
    That's great. For the same reason, just before the lockdown, I bought a new pair of Saucony Triumph 17 seeing how much I liked the first pair. When people were stocking up on toilet paper I was worried about running shoes and trying to source weights lol.

Blog Entries

TZUK Running Club

I found this interesting... from a materials perspective...

Mechanical tests showed a change on the response of the midsole foams with use which leads to increases of the peak force and a reduction of the absorbed energy.Such effects will increase the force that is transmitted to the runner’s body.The softening of the material with run distance and the decrease in the cushioning properties are mainly due to a decrease in the initial compressive collapse stress,not to a change in the air content. Thus, the foam fatigue is due to the polymeric structure and not to the gas present in the foams
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The controlled running tests confirmed the deterioration of the midsole foam, with an increase of the peak pressure and structural damage in the foam after a long run. Although changes have been shown in the shoe foam response, it is not easy to set limits to the peak pressures which represent an increased risk of a foot injury.Recent research [Taunton et al. (2003)] suggests that running shoe age contributes to running injuries. The deterioration of running shoe cushioning may be an important explanatory factor for such an effect.
    From a Birmingham University PhD thesis - Gas Loss and Durability of EVA foams used in Running Shoes (Verdejo 2003).

And this https://blog.alexandrasports.com/tim...running-shoes/

...has convinced me I need to retire these shoes

as the midsole is getting exposed and (thinking about it) I've had them nearly 2 years & in all likelihood I've probably done more like 1000km + in these.

They look A-OK from the top

z
    Last edited by zelig; 19th June 2020 at 18:29.

Give 'em hell, boys! Looks like my running days are behind be now as I approach 73 this summer. An MRI of my right knee confirms that I'm "bone on bone" and likely have a knee replacement in my near future (to go along with the hip replacement four years ago). Too much cumulative running I'm told. Well, I'll start training again in the next life.

Master
    ...has convinced me I need to retire these shoes

as the midsole is getting exposed and (thinking about it) I've had them nearly 2 years & in all likelihood I've probably done more like 1000km + in these.
    Yep, get rid of them!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Give 'em hell, boys! Looks like my running days are behind be now as I approach 73 this summer. An MRI of my right knee confirms that I'm "bone on bone" and likely have a knee replacement in my near future (to go along with the hip replacement four years ago). Too much cumulative running I'm told. Well, I'll start training again in the next life.
    If it’s any consolation, you may have damaged your knees and hips but you’ve probably strengthened your vital organs in the process

Master
    I was in great shape and following an excellent routine until 2 months ago but circumstances beyond my control resulted in big gaps between my runs and very limited strength training & yoga as well. I’m back in the routine as of the last 3 weeks but all that disruption has made a big dent in my fitness. Previously I was regularly running half marathons (at least once a month) with zero walking but just after resuming, even 5k was a struggle and required a couple of short walking intervals. I am back to 10k with no walking now but have done only 2 proper long runs (16k) and had to walk a few times during those.

Today after work was one of them and my hips and hamstrings are killing me now. They weren’t doing great even when I stared. I do 3 loops of my 5.35km route for this distance and 4 loops for half marathon. Normally I leave a water bottle and a sachet of energy gel outside the house and consume it when I complete the second loop. Today I left them out but didn’t use to save time. I have made the same mistake before and remember being in a lot of pain afterwards on those occasions too. I hate myself right now for being so stupid again. Just got to remember I need hydration and quick absorbing carbs after 10-11km!

Blog Entries
    Solstice run at Britain’s most easterly point.

Stunning morning

Pitch

Blog Entries

TZUK Running Club

Just as a heads up - Brooks Cascadia 14 GTX are about half RRP on Amazon at the mo.

I picked up this pair for £69.99 - when others have them at £105-130 range

When I had my gait assessed I was mildly pronate - so given the option for neutral or mild support shoes.
    I chose the Brooks Adrenaline GTS18 at the time & they were great for me - as they are also more cushioned & less springy.
    The Cascadia is also cushioned - but a more neutral shoe, but also a trail shoe - which could be handy as my runs are a mix of tarmac & gravel / unpaved trails. Will be interesting to compare the two.

If you are new to Brooks - be aware that their sizing is way out - I'm normally a 7 & take 8.5 in Brooks !

z
    Last edited by zelig; 25th June 2020 at 14:42.

Grand Master
    In the past I’ve improved cushioning by removing the insole and fitting something more substantial. It’s a mistake to keep wearing shoes when the cushioning has deteriorated but its easy to do, you don’t realise how they’ve hardened. Starting to get sore calf muscles is a sign. Provided the tread was still decent I used to relegate worn shoes to soft ground running where cushioning isn’t so important.

My own running comeback isn’t going great, I’ve had to revise my expectations downwards after overdoing it 3 weeks ago by running for 28minutes on paths and trails despite significant discomfort in the left knee, I got locked into the ‘pain is weakness leaving the body’ syndrome and suffered for it afterwards. Thankfully the knee’s improved again and I’m now back to doing light running. It’s frustrating, despite my age (62) I still feel fit and able to run at a decent pace but I have to be v. careful with the knee, the last setback has taught me not to get carried away. Ibuprofen on the days I run helps but that’s hardly ideal.

Decided to run yesterday afternoon in the blazing hot sun, hottest day of the year, I like a challenge.....definitely ready for some water afterwards!

If you like decent cushioning have a look at Hoka or Altra shoes. Two of my favourite brands. I have a few of both some for trail some for road.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    If you like decent cushioning have a look at Hoka or Altra shoes.

I have had two pairs of Altras, with the first the outsole was badly worn at 70 miles, the replacement pair lasted just over 200, so at £120 for less than 6 weeks running. Being older, I do tend to replace as shoes approach 500 miles (I weigh under 11.5 stone), so have a shed full of what looks like unworn Asics shoes that have had 3 months running.

Master
    It had been known for a while that Berlin Marathon (for which I had a confirmed charity place) wasn’t going to take place in September and the organisers were considering other options. Last week they finally announced that the event has been cancelled altogether. To say that I am disappointed would be a massive understatement. I was really looking forward to it, especially after not being able to secure either a ballot or charity spot for London Marathon. I was so excited that I had my hotel and flight booked since December.

Obviously for a huge event like that, ensuring participant and spectator safety would have been impossible so their decision is completely understandable.

Doesn’t help me though. I have to run a marathon before my birthday in November as I want to run 42km while I’m still 42. Been in touch with a charity again for the rescheduled London Marathon (currently planned for October) but don’t have high hopes. Just didn’t want to participate in any odd event ... wanted my first (and probably only) marathon to be at a famous event. If I don’t get London (or it’s cancelled/postponed beyond November), I will have to go solo, just like I have run all my half marathons so far. Need a lot of motivation for that!

Craftsman
    It had been known for a while that Berlin Marathon (for which I had a confirmed charity place) wasn’t going to take place in September and the organisers were considering other options. Last week they finally announced that the event has been cancelled altogether. To say that I am disappointed would be a massive understatement. I was really looking forward to it, especially after not being able to secure either a ballot or charity spot for London Marathon. I was so excited that I had my hotel and flight booked since December.

Obviously for a huge event like that, ensuring participant and spectator safety would have been impossible so their decision is completely understandable.

Doesn’t help me though. I have to run a marathon before my birthday in November as I want to run 42km while I’m still 42. Been in touch with a charity again for the rescheduled London Marathon (currently planned for October) but don’t have high hopes. Just didn’t want to participate in any odd event ... wanted my first (and probably only) marathon to be at a famous event. If I don’t get London (or it’s cancelled/postponed beyond November), I will have to go solo, just like I have run all my half marathons so far. Need a lot of motivation for that!
    Are you a member of a local running club? One way of helping is having others join you for part of the run, also set up water spots etc

A friend did this for another member of his club who similarly had lined up a marathon to coincide with a birthday. 5-6 runners from the club ran legs with him and another few set up support spots etc which really helped

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Are you a member of a local running club? One way of helping is having others join you for part of the run, also set up water spots etc

A friend did this for another member of his club who similarly had lined up a marathon to coincide with a birthday. 5-6 runners from the club ran legs with him and another few set up support spots etc which really helped
    I have always run on my own and not a member of any group. Due to work commitments etc. I can never guarantee I would be able to join others at a certain time. It’s a great idea though, what your friend did. I should consider it. Also keep thinking about how people improve as runners by participating in group activities. My pace isn’t getting better. In fact slower than before, if anything.

Craftsman
    I have always run on my own and not a member of any group. Due to work commitments etc. I can never guarantee I would be able to join others at a certain time. It’s a great idea though, what your friend did. I should consider it. Also keep thinking about how people improve as runners by participating in group activities. My pace isn’t getting better. In fact slower than before, if anything.
    I’m a member of Lonely Goat running club for the reasons you mention but also have a couple of good friends and we train as a 3 although not recently

There may be some members here willing to join in depending on location - I know if you were local to me I would be up for it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    There may be some members here willing to join in depending on location - I know if you were local to me I would be up for it
    I’m in North West London if anyone local is willing to volunteer ;)

SydR
    Just as a heads up - Brooks Cascadia 14 GTX are about half RRP on Amazon at the mo.

I picked up this pair for £69.99 - when others have them at £105-130 range

When I had my gait assessed I was mildly pronate - so given the option for neutral or mild support shoes.
    I chose the Brooks Adrenaline GTS18 at the time & they were great for me - as they are also more cushioned & less springy.
    The Cascadia is also cushioned - but a more neutral shoe, but also a trail shoe - which could be handy as my runs are a mix of tarmac & gravel / unpaved trails. Will be interesting to compare the two.

If you are new to Brooks - be aware that their sizing is way out - I'm normally a 7 & take 8.5 in Brooks !

z
    I started with Brooks GTS15 which were great. The changes they made in the GTS18 have made them less to my liking. I plan to get a gait analysis done again (really need to after starting back running following a fractured pelvis!) when easing of restrictions allows.

Master
    Ran a half marathon today. I was doing them fairly regularly before but there’s been a long gap. At 21.4km in 1:55:51, today’s was over 3 minutes slower than my last one 2.5 months ago and more than 7 minutes slower than my PB.

Master
    I’m in North West London if anyone local is willing to volunteer ;)
    I am in North Harrow, and belong to Metros RC and Hillingdon Tri. Many friends belong to Hillingdon and Harrow ACs. Message me if you want any further info, cannot offer to join you as strictly self isolating for a few weeks - wife having an operation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    I am in North Harrow, and belong to Metros RC and Hillingdon Tri. Many friends belong to Hillingdon and Harrow ACs. Message me if you want any further info, cannot offer to join you as strictly self isolating for a few weeks - wife having an operation.
    Thanks. I shall look up those clubs and may well message you. Hope all goes well with the op.

Master
    Had a target of 200km in June, but closed it out at 228km. Currently running about 55km every week: 1x HM, 1x 15-18k, 1x 10k, and another 5 or 10k. Only really started running in lockdown, and have learned so much since. It is very addictive too with Strava giving all the stats on segments etc. Current HM PB is 1:47 and my goal is to be able to run a marathon in sub-4hrs.

Have experimented with different shoes, and have found Altras to be fantastic. Running in Torin4s for most runs, the Escalante Racer for super hot days and when pushing hard, and Hoka Cliftons when going slow and recovering. Will be cancelling my gym membership!

This thread reminds me how much I need to start running again. I ran the London Marathon back in 2017 and since then I’ve hardly done any exercise, put on a few stone and past the 40 year old mark. I’m getting the garage set up with a bike trainer and rowing machine; just need to start using them and run!

Master
    Finally went over that mental barrier and continued beyond half marathon for the first time today! 26.1km in 2:22:24. Pace could have been slightly better ... I tripped over and fell on all fours on a concrete pavement and injured myself in 5 places at 24km. The last 2km were a mix of slow running and a bit of walking.

Apologies for the unglamorous pictures but having fallen for the first time in almost 3 and a half years of running, I am feeling strangely proud of these wounds lol. I’ve had plenty of injuries from running but they have all been internal tissue/muscle type problems. Finally I have something to show!

Logged 63km over the last 7 days. A personal record by a long margin.

EDIT: Just remembered I have slipped on compacted snow and fallen flat while running before but didn’t get any injuries.

Last edited by FK77; 4th July 2020 at 23:29. Reason: Memory

Craftsman
    Finally went over that mental barrier and continued beyond half marathon for the first time today! 26.1km in 2:22:24. Pace may have been slightly better ... I tripped over and fell on all fours on a concrete pavement and injured myself in 5 places at 24km. The last 2km were a mix of slow running and a bit of walking.

Apologies for the unglamorous pictures but having fallen for the first time in almost 3 and a half years of running, I am feeling strangely proud of these wounds lol. I’ve had plenty of injuries from running but they have all been internal tissue/muscle type problems. Finally I have something to show!

Logged 63km over the last 7 days. A personal record by a long margin.

That's really good! Well done.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Master
    Finally improved my 5k PB today and got it just under 23 mins for the first time. 5.04km in 22:54.

Master
    Finally improved my 5k PB today and got it just under 23 mins for the first time. 5.04km in 22:54.
    Well done. I have been struggling for over 15 months with hamstring problems. Then running solo is a struggle - managed 23.39 last month, and 24.09 this weekend, which some friends say will be 30- 40 seconds faster in competition/Parkrun. Age grade just over 73% and should be running closer to 80% really.

Master
    Well done. I have been struggling for over 15 months with hamstring problems. Then running solo is a struggle - managed 23.39 last month, and 24.09 this weekend, which some friends say will be 30- 40 seconds faster in competition/Parkrun. Age grade just over 73% and should be running closer to 80% really.
    Thanks.

It's all relative. If I am able to run at all (at ANY pace) at your age, that would be enough to make me a very happy man.

Master

Smile

Thanks.

It's all relative. If I am able to run at all (at ANY pace) at your age, that would be enough to make me a very happy man.
    The only advantage to being old. Only a pain if a race organiser has decided to give prizes for only over 60s,and that means I have to run against all the youngsters. I think I said once that at normal Parkruns I tend to be both first and last in my age group!

Master
    Yesterday was 5 miles for the inter-club London Summer League, so today was just an easy plod. So started and stopped my watch, then later looked on Strava, to see unbelievable splits given slightly undulating terrain, crossing roads, avoiding people (and dogs). Never seen anything like that before!

Master
    Yesterday was 5 miles for the inter-club London Summer League, so today was just an easy plod. So started and stopped my watch, then later looked on Strava, to see unbelievable splits given slightly undulating terrain, crossing roads, avoiding people (and dogs). Never seen anything like that before!
    That is some amazing consistency!

Master
    Another half marathon yesterday. Picked the wrong day for it though: finished work at 9pm on Friday, straight on to some back-breaking DIY until late night, less than 6 hours sleep, quick breakfast followed by more DIY for a few hours and then the long run right at the peak of yesterday’s hot weather. It was slow but still managed to keep it under 2 hours. Was absolutely knackered afterwards, unsurprisingly.

That is some amazing consistency!
    Yes!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

What foods do you eat that have helped you lose weight or speed up your runs?

I need some 'go to' foods as I'm going to bin all the rubbish. Or at least try not to buy it.

I’ve not managed any running in July so my total for the year is still hovering around 245km. I have managed about 10 45min HIIT sessions in July though! Trying to regain core strength and muscle and am getting there, feeling strong 💪🏻💪🏻

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    What foods do you eat that have helped you lose weight or speed up your runs?

I need some 'go to' foods as I'm going to bin all the rubbish. Or at least try not to buy it.
    I'm also very interested in answers to this question. I suspect bad nutrition is a major cause for preventing my progress. There isn't a plan in place currently. Before the lockdown I was strictly following the below for just breakfast and lunch on weekdays. Ate all sorts of rubbish in the evening and all day on weekends. Still this initially helped greatly in losing weight (mainly fat) and making me feel more energetic. Then I plateaued but still carried on with it until I started working from home ...

Breakfast (all 5 days): Oatmeal cereal
    Monday lunch (post-run): Diet protein shake
    Tuesday lunch: Big box of salad including lots of green leaves (particularly spinach), a boiled egg, big serving of hummus, falafels, some beans, generous drizzling of olive oil on top
    Wednesday lunch (post-run): Repeat of Monday
    Thursday lunch: Repeat of Tuesday
    Friday: Grilled salmon with green salad
    Snacks (all 5 days): Apples and bananas. Quite a few on Friday afternoon at regular intervals as I used to run back home from work (a little over 10 miles) on Fridays.

This, combined with a lot of running and strength training helped me lose fat not too long ago. If I watched what I ate at other times too (weekday dinners, evening snacks and all weekends) I would have seen better results obviously but I don't have the will power to not eat what I like long term.

I'm also very interested in answers to this question. I suspect bad nutrition is a major cause for preventing my progress.
    This is the biggest issue for me. I have a really sweet tooth and little will power! I suspect if I could get in to a nutritional routine I’d be much slimmer than I am now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    This is the biggest issue for me. I have a really sweet tooth and little will power! I suspect if I could get in to a nutritional routine I’d be much slimmer than I am now!
    Ate a massive portion of triple chocolate cake last night. Just told (fooled) myself that somehow I had earned it after 11 hours of DIY. That excuse may have been somewhat acceptable if I didn't eat junk all the time lol.

Suspect was the wrong word in my earlier post. I know I could halve my exercise and still lose fat if I start being sensible with food. There is just too much of it and mostly the wrong kind! Thankfully I am close to the middle of healthy weight range for my height and have a decent waist now but given how strict I am about exercise, things could be a lot better.

Craftsman
    Anyone using a Garmin watch to record their activity, the Garmin website has been hacked by ransomware. Been down a couple of days & was initially described as “maintenance”.
    They’ve now admitted to it being “hacked” and are hoping to have it sorted in the next couple of days.
    Not sure what details the hackers have gained access to.

Master
    I use their Vivosmart 4 activity tracker. Garmin Connect app still says “down for maintenance":

Been like this since yesterday morning and I have been unable to sync any of my sessions.

Master
    I'm ashamed to say I've not checked in on this thread for most of this year, so enjoying catching up with what everyone's been getting up to.

For myself, other than a few gentle runs with my daughter during lockdown, my last serious run was back in November in Nepal crossing the finish line of a 6-day mountain trail race. Absolutely nothing since.

Fast forward to this week, and having committed to a race this coming October I went out on Monday and again last night to run a nearby off-road loop of around 2.5 miles with a little bit of climb. I barely made it round. Comedy jelly legs coming back into the house, and felt destroyed. I hate myself each and every time I do this (and I do it quite regularly) - reaching near-peak fitness for a race, only to then let it slide afterwards and having to force myself from zero back to race fitness again the next time..

On top of that, I've put on around half a stone during lockdown which is significant for me. My weight is normally dead stable, but it's partly general inactivity and also partly age I assume..