timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 1554

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Bloody hell, that's some going!
    I am a Run Director at Harrow Parkrun, not a particularly fast course. Yesterday out of 288 runners we had a first time visitor aged 70 - 74 who came 6th overall in 19.54. Now that is seriously impressive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    I am a Run Director at Harrow Parkrun, not a particularly fast course. Yesterday out of 288 runners we had a first time visitor aged 70 - 74 who came 6th overall in 19.54. Now that is seriously impressive!!
    *chucks trainers in bin*

Master
    Wow!!!!

Well done on your time too. That’s very inspirational.

I am getting out there running this year. But my pace is embarrassing so won’t even mention it haha.
    I do have a few too many kilos to transport though, which I know is no excuse.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I am getting out there running this year. But my pace is embarrassing so won’t even mention it haha.
    Any pace is better than zero and NOT embarrassing. If you're out there doing something, you're already ahead of most.

In my mates slightly adapted words "you're running faster than some lazy **** sat on their arse"

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Any pace is better than zero and NOT embarrassing. If you're out there doing something, you're already ahead of most.
    Absolutely - the beauty of Parkrun is that you just need to be there. Anytime is better than staying in bed or on the sofa.

Though so far I have only managed to persuade my own wife to turn up twice - both times on New Years Day

Craftsman
    Jeez, chucks trainers in the bin as well.

Very impressive

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Wow!!!!

Well done on your time too. That’s very inspirational.

I do have a few too many kilos to transport though, which I know is no excuse.
    I'll just repeat what the others have said, doesn't matter if it takes you an hour. You've hauled your arse off the couch and are getting some fresh air and exercise. When I first finished Couch to 5K, it used to take me 38 minutes to do the 5K. When I first started it, I was 5 stone overweight and couldn't finish the first session where you ran for 30 seconds and walked for 90.

Blog Entries
    Ditto above buddy, you’ve knocked a 10k out this weekend, that’s a long way and amazing.

I make a real point when new runners to me say ‘I only do 5k or I only do parkrun’, no, it’s 3 miles it’s a long long way to run.

I am taking a real different approach this year. No pressure on Speed or PB’s, just keep the miles up and ENJOY. If a swift does come along then great. And, help and encourage others where ever I can.

Pitch

Master
    Thanks for all the encouragement, chaps.
    I guess this is what this thread is all about.

Just need to get over a slight bug and I will be back out there running...slowly!

Maybe a long shot here but... Anyone:
    • listen to music when running
    • have a Garmin watch
    • keep your music on YouTube Music?

It looks like Garmin only support Spotify but I've used Google Music, not YouTube Music for years and won't change.
    I don't want to run with my phone. I used to use an ancient MP3 player (loaded with 90s hip-hop classics) with wired earbuds but would like to join the 21st century at some point and stream current music from my watch to bone-conducting headphones (I tried a couple of pairs in an airport recently and they weren't as bad as I expected).

Anyone solved my problem for me?
    A quick search this morning directs me to 'Songate' which for a very reasonable 10euro/year reckons it will get my YouTube Music playlists onto my Garmin watch. Anyone use it?

Craftsman
    I’ve got my first international Parkrun this weekend, I’ll be at Clermont Waterfront in Florida. Really looking forward to running in the sun again. It’ll be an early start though as it’s an hours drive to 07:30 start time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Maybe a long shot here but... Anyone:
    • listen to music when running
    • have a Garmin watch
    • keep your music on YouTube Music?

It looks like Garmin only support Spotify but I've used Google Music, not YouTube Music for years and won't change.
    I don't want to run with my phone. I used to use an ancient MP3 player (loaded with 90s hip-hop classics) with wired earbuds but would like to join the 21st century at some point and stream current music from my watch to bone-conducting headphones (I tried a couple of pairs in an airport recently and they weren't as bad as I expected).

Anyone solved my problem for me?
    A quick search this morning directs me to 'Songate' which for a very reasonable 10euro/year reckons it will get my YouTube Music playlists onto my Garmin watch. Anyone use it?
    I’ve not tied to get my YouTube music on to my Garmin as they don’t play nicely. But we’ve also got an Amazon Prime subscription, so I just use music from there on my Garmin and have connected my headphones to my watch which works OK, it was just another way to get music on a run. However saying that at the moment, I’m not using music as I’m enjoying running without it. Just depends on the mood!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    I’ve got my first international Parkrun this weekend, I’ll be at Clermont Waterfront in Florida. Really looking forward to running in the sun again. It’ll be an early start though as it’s an hours drive to 07:30 start time.

Whenever we head abroad we hope for a nearby Parkrun but never been lucky.

Have a good’un

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Have a good’un

Pitch
    I’ll try to do the same. Being new to running this is my first opportunity, but I am finding the Parkrun tourism thing quite a fun motivator.

Master
    So disappointed that Parkrun have dropped the Age Grading Stats - I know the "run not a race" argument, but it did give me an incentive (and held the age group records at some park runs).
    It seems to be partially a reaction to the self declared gender within parkrun where "men" have been taking/holding women's records. To me it is very sad.

Master
    So disappointed that Parkrun have dropped the Age Grading Stats - I know the "run not a race" argument, but it did give me an incentive (and held the age group records at some park runs).
    It seems to be partially a reaction to the self declared gender within parkrun where "men" have been taking/holding women's records. To me it is very sad.
    Have they?

I can still see age grading on most recent results.

Master
    Have they?

I can still see age grading on most recent results.
    Yes - if you look at the finish results they have removed all age group records, age grading rankings, course records, and first finisher rankings!

In the results you can see the age grading as you say, but the records have all gone.

Yes you're right, they've removed all the records and top 200 times etc. That sucks balls tbh. I mean, I'm never going to trouble the leader boards, but the stats nerd in me likes seeing the records, and also a lot of people do treat it as a race, so why shouldn't they be recorded? I hope it doesn't get to to be like crap schools where everybody gets a medal.

Master
    Yes you're right, they've removed all the records and top 200 times etc. That sucks balls tbh. I mean, I'm never going to trouble the leader boards, but the stats nerd in me likes seeing the records, and also a lot of people do treat it as a race, so why shouldn't they be recorded? I hope it doesn't get to to be like crap schools where everybody gets a medal.
    Behind a paywall, but in the press now. Parkrun records transgender (telegraph.co.uk)

Christ, is that the reason? That's absolutely bloody ridiculous. FFS.

They’re now claiming it’s so as not to be off putting to new entrants. Chinny reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by andyjay View Post
    I’ve not tied to get my YouTube music on to my Garmin as they don’t play nicely. But we’ve also got an Amazon Prime subscription, so I just use music from there on my Garmin and have connected my headphones to my watch which works OK, it was just another way to get music on a run. However saying that at the moment, I’m not using music as I’m enjoying running without it. Just depends on the mood!
    Ah... good point... I have but never use Amazon Music as part of my Prime subscription. It looks like there was a period of time after Amazon Music started but before I stopped buying physical CDs which has resulted in some of my purchased albums being available through Amazon Music. It's a time slice of my musical history but there's plenty there for a bit of running soundtrack now and I'm sure I can add other (free) stuff to Amazon Music if I did a bit of research.

New parkrun PB today, 24:39. Pleased with that. Lovely conditions this morning. Hazy sunshine, bit of a nip in the air, and importantly at Rutland Water, no wind.

I need to go out tomorrow and do 10k or so to make my mind up if I'll do a 10 mile event next weekend. I've done the distance a few times before, so reasonably confident of that, but my plan to ramp up mileage in January was entirely scuppered by being ill for most of the month. We will see.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Well hope it goes ok, just take it easy and you’ll be fine.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on the Parkrun PB ST well done buddy. Now some hard work to get that 24 min monkey off ya back.

Perfect condition’s at Britain’s most easterly Parkrun, nice chug for me with a stop on the prom for a pee.

@DaveE if you are comfortable at 10k a 10 miler will be fine, just dial the pace back to say 2-2.5 minutes per mile slower than your 5k full tilt pace. See how the first half goes and you can always pick it up to finish.

Well done all.

Pitch

I’ve just done my first international park run in Weedon Island reserve Florida.

Beautiful run through mangroves, boardwalks and trails. Got a PB and came 4th so happy with that. 8am race so he to get up at 6:30 thought but worth it.

Congrats on the Parkrun PB ST well done buddy. Now some hard work to get that 24 min monkey off ya back.

Perfect condition’s at Britain’s most easterly Parkrun, nice chug for me with a stop on the prom for a pee.

@DaveE if you are comfortable at 10k a 10 miler will be fine, just dial the pace back to say 2-2.5 minutes per mile slower than your 5k full tilt pace. See how the first half goes and you can always pick it up to finish.

Well done all.

Pitch
    Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words. Yes 24 minutes is the next target. I haven't really been running for that long, but the training me and my daughter are doing for the half marathon is really helping with my parkrun times.

Blog Entries
    Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words. Yes 24 minutes is the next target. I haven't really been running for that long, but the training me and my daughter are doing for the half marathon is really helping with my parkrun times.
    It’s all about consistency, consistency and consistency. Rack up 25+ miles per week of that zone 2 very easy pace stuff with one interval/speed session and you will smash your half. Heart rate will fall and pace will increase over your training, it’s simple.

Don’t underestimate the possibility of injury as you fatigue but that’s when at least one strength and conditioning session per week will help and make you a stronger runner.

Good luck, when is the half ??

Pitch

It’s all about consistency, consistency and consistency. Rack up 25+ miles per week of that zone 2 very easy pace stuff with one interval/speed session and you will smash your half. Heart rate will fall and pace will increase over your training, it’s simple.

Don’t underestimate the possibility of injury as you fatigue but that’s when at least one strength and conditioning session per week will help and make you a stronger runner.

Good luck, when is the half ??

Pitch
    Hi Pitch, it's the London Landmarks half on 7 April. We're mostly following a training prograamme we found online at the moment. One long slow run a week at the moment (currently at 14K). One interval speed session. A more varied one depending on what the plan says, then the 5K parkrun, which sometimes is a bit inconvenient but we both love it. Trying to do 2-3 sessions of strength and core training a week as well. I track everything using my Apple Watch, and everything seems to be going in the right direction. Resting ad running heart rate is down, VO2 is up, heart rate recovery is up. Thanks for the tips, really helpful.

Well hope it goes ok, just take it easy and you’ll be fine.

Ta!

Well done all.

Pitch
    That's what I figure, too. I'll do 10k or so tomorrow, and if that is OK I should be Ok for 10 miles. I'll just dial the pace back a good way.

Well done to everyone getting PBs at Parkrun as well!
    Dave E

How did you get on?

Have a good’un
    Pitch
    That's how it started for me... France (stopped near Fontainebleu driving to a ski trip), US (working for a fortnight in Palo Alto so ran at Byxbee and Crissy Field (great parkrun in San Francisco but no longer operating) and family visits to the Netherlands (Amsterdamse Bos, Kagerzoom, Schoterbos & Beatrixpark). But then I've also been just for parkrun to Ireland (Glen River), Norway (Tøyen & Løvstein), Austria (Hellbrun) and Germany (Riemer)

New parkrun PB today, 24:39. Pleased with that. Lovely conditions this morning. Hazy sunshine, bit of a nip in the air, and importantly at Rutland Water, no wind.
    Might see you there one day. My brother's partner runs there a fair bit and I can combine with a family visit to Leicester on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    I’ve just done my first international park run in Weedon Island reserve Florida.
    Beautiful run through mangroves, boardwalks and trails. Got a PB and came 4th so happy with that. 8am race so he to get up at 6:30 thought but worth it.
    Congratulations.

I got an out-of-the-blue 'event PB' of about 3 minutes yesterday but am still 30sec/km off a sub30 minute time.

Blog Entries
    Hi Pitch, it's the London Landmarks half on 7 April. We're mostly following a training prograamme we found online at the moment. One long slow run a week at the moment (currently at 14K). One interval speed session. A more varied one depending on what the plan says, then the 5K parkrun, which sometimes is a bit inconvenient but we both love it. Trying to do 2-3 sessions of strength and core training a week as well. I track everything using my Apple Watch, and everything seems to be going in the right direction. Resting ad running heart rate is down, VO2 is up, heart rate recovery is up. Thanks for the tips, really helpful.
    London is a treat to run round, I did the big half last year, route not as nice as yours though. Training sounds spot on, great work.

I’ve got Cambridge half in a few weeks which I just love, it’s a fantastic event and weekend away. PB’d a couple of years ago 7:58 min/mile ave over the 13.1. My fitness is way off to get down to that but another two 30+ mile weeks and then a gentle week prior and who knows I might dip into the 1 hour 40’s something, would be nice to get sub 1:50.

Great to see this thread getting some traction again, G&D is getting too much about food LOL.

Right, now to split by big Caputo and Fior de Latte order up.

Pitch

Master
    ~33 km today, including 3 blocks of 25 mins each @ target marathon pace, closed off my highest volume week ever at ~85 km. Absolutely knackered after today’s session … there’s no way that’s my marathon pace ��

Blog Entries
    That is a fantastic week, bloody well done.

Pitch

Master
    I have got the Wokingham half in two weeks time and a rather sore hamstring. I’ve booked my first ever sports massage.

~33 km today, including 3 blocks of 25 mins each @ target marathon pace, closed off my highest volume week ever at ~85 km. Absolutely knackered after today’s session … there’s no way that’s my marathon pace 🤣
    That's bloody good work! It's been a while since I've managed a 85km month, doing that in a week slightly boggles my mind!

11km done today and feels OK, so I reckon I'm going to do the 10miler next weekend and just take it easy.
    Dave E

Like Pitch said above, it's great to have the thread active again. Is everyone on thr TZ Strava? There was a good gang on it before it shut down and it was restarted. Not as many on it now unfortunately .

My running has been gradually increasing again after I relaxed my training schedule from the Dublin marathon.

I have a 10mile race in March.
    I would have liked a spring marathon but nothing caught my attention and unfortunately I didn't get into London or Boston this year.

I'm in for Dublin and Valencia this year so that will keep me going for the summer !

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Worth adding the link to the Strava club to the thread again, then: https://www.strava.com/clubs/1080417
    Dave E

Master
    Thanks for the strava link, I have asked to follow a few of you. That is some great distances pitch!

Master
    That is a fantastic week, bloody well done.

Pitch
    Thanks. It’s going to go up even more if things stay on track!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    That's bloody good work! It's been a while since I've managed a 85km month, doing that in a week slightly boggles my mind!

11km done today and feels OK, so I reckon I'm going to do the 10miler next weekend and just take it easy.
    Thank you. It hasn’t been that long since my months were much smaller than 85km. And zero not long before that. While I’m bragging, last month was my biggest at a little over 328km.

Well done on going beyond your target today and good luck with the race!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    Thanks for the strava link, I have asked to follow a few of you. That is some great distances pitch!

Gotcha and cheers, fresh week tomorrow and here we go, nice and easy and DONT touch speed chaps.

Paul

Craftsman
    Managed to get my first overseas Parkrun in Florida yesterday morning. Met some nice people from all around the world and even managed a half decent time for my current level of fitness, the difference 15 degrees will do eh.

Managed to get my first overseas Parkrun in Florida yesterday morning. Met some nice people from all around the world and even managed a half decent time for my current level of fitness, the difference 15 degrees will do eh.

Hi, which one in Florida?

Master
    Training started in earnest here for my local half in April, can anyone guess what happened in mile 2?? :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Training started in earnest here for my local half in April, can anyone guess what happened in mile 2?? :-)
    Hills do worse than that to me. You did good. And recovered from it very well it seems.

Master
    Hills do worse than that to me. You did good. And recovered from it very well it seems.
    There is a hill there, but it's not that bad -- actually took short, lost 30 seconds to the call of nature lol

Woke up this morning to see the news that Kelvin Kiptum has been killed in a car crash. Sad news and a loss to running.
    Dave E

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Woke up this morning to see the news that Kelvin Kiptum has been killed in a car crash. Sad news and a loss to running.
    Very sad. Had the world literally at his feet