closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1556

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Nice. I “wasted” a pair today. It rained only a little bit during my LR and the hydration vest was covering the area anyway so didn’t actually need the plasters today.

Anyway another 32+km in the bank. There were no “race pace” efforts today but the entire run was at about 20 sec/km slower than target race pace. Will have to find out the reason for this pace in the plan I’m following. Because generally this territory is considered “junk miles” - not speed work or intervals, not tempo or threshold, not marathon pace but in no way easy or recovery pace by any stretch!
    I had a poor day as well. 23k all off road. I knew within 300m it was going to be a shocker, my legs felt like lead after a few hard days.

Also, the terrain was so muddy, calf deep in quite a lot of places which meant pace went way out of the window.

Some days you have runs that just do go well for whatever reason.

I have a few mountain races and ultras coming up so I just put this one down as good mental training, you are going to feel crap at some point of an ultra so might as well train for it!!

I had a few places that passed close to where Id parked and really had to talk myself from bailing early.

Blog Entries
    Some big miles for the TZ Club this week and great work all round fellas.

Off we all go again tomorrow

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    I had a poor day as well. 23k all off road
    Sounds like very good mental (and physical, given the terrain) training! Well done for persevering through it.

Dont get me wrong - my workout went well. I was just questioning the reasoning for that aerobic pace (not easy, not very fast but still exhausting) my plan had me run today. Having read about it, it has its place so Im ok with that. Having said that, I too had a moment early on. Only 6km into the run, looked at the distance countdown on the watch and it had 26km to go. I just questioned my life choices: Why am I doing this? If I just turn back now, call it 12k instead of the planned 32k for once only and rest on my Sunday like most do, would it be too detrimental to my race training? I was still fresh so it was not fatigue but just a mental thing. Managed to shake it off and carry on.

10 mile event yesterday which went fine (was actually about 9.8 miles because of course changes due to flooding). It's part of 3 event series run in Milton Keynes called the Cattle Creep series, because they all pass you through a cattle creep that takes you under the canal, which is quite cool. The only bad bit was at about mile 9, just after you exited the cattle creep, where you turned a corner and discovered the whole path under water for about 20/25 feet. Cold water to the depth of the top of my calf muscle, and you were wading in it long enough for the cold to hit your feet properly. Sapped all of the 'go' out of my legs, and was followed up by a climb up a grassy hill (wet, muddy and slippy) which didn't help either! I ended up walking about a third of the hill... Good fun overall, though!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    ...Cold water to the depth of the top of my calf muscle, and you were wading in it long enough for the cold to hit your feet properly. Sapped all of the 'go' out of my legs, and was followed up by a climb up a grassy hill (wet, muddy and slippy) which didn't help either! I ended up walking about a third of the hill... Good fun overall, though!
    Why do we do these things to ourselves???

Blog Entries
    Well done and credit to you.

I bottled yesterdays round of The Suffolk Winter League XC and settled for the easy 6 miler with Mrs P.

Thirteen and a half miles this morning with some target HM pace miles, nice to be wind and rain(ish) free.

Pitch

Nice one Pitch. It's half term here this week so did a 14K around Rutland Water this afternoon with my eldest daughter. A pleasant spring day, but very, very windy. Living so far inland it's the closest thing we've got to a sea and the wind was blowing right off the water, which made the last few kilometres a pain in the arse as it was head on.

Craftsman
    Nice Florida run.

Afternoon all, I see some talk of trips to Florida on TZ-UK so thought Id share my morning run.

After last weeks run around the International Drive area getting interrupted by traffic a lot I decided to look for a nice lake path suitable for my level of the sport and found Baldwin Lake which turned out to be perfect.
    For anyone that may want to try it it is about 25 min drive from I-Drive and near 4km per lap, theres also a Park next to it which is where we parked called Blue Jacket Park.

Also worth mentioning that I got a nice lift and a smile around 7km when I saw a little herd of turtles basking in the sun.

Overall feel like I landed lucky on choice of location and had a very enjoyable run while the wife and daughter walked about and played on the kids parks. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    First time posting here.

I'm looking for some advice re an achilles issue. I've sought input from the NHS but am still awaiting a physio appointment after 4 months.

I'm 53. Always ran when younger, then "got distracted." College, marriage, children, career etc.

Started running again about 2 years ago. Steadily built up the mileage to about 8 miles on a Sunday.

Then after a family bereavement (brother to suicide) I upped my distances. All good. 2 half marathons last year.

Then, in the autumn of last year, I developed achilles pain in one ankle. Definitely soft tissue.

It got worse. Attended my A&E in Oct and was advised to rest. I did.

Started running again 3 weeks ago. Pain has returned. Was careful with my stretches and cool down.

I'm very frustrated. I love to run.

So, anyone else had this issue? Did a physio help on its own?

All advice and feedback welcome.

Thanks

Huw

And sorry for a long post!

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app

If I pick up any injuries one of the first places I go to is Bob and Brad, they have a load of useful self help guides.

Their massage guns are very good as well.

https://youtu.be/qqAlt1k_-gs?si=ewN8iU9W-WLwpGu7

Master
    Folks Im just looking for thoughts on a potential plan.

Ive not run now for 12 months, up until Covid I was a regular road cyclist and got some decent miles in running. Since Covid Ive just done gravel bike stuff - and not really much of that.

I have had a few goes back at running since Covid but always disappointed with how I felt. Ive never had a problem with my breathing but every time I tried to run I felt my breathing was holding me back, rightly or wrongly Im this blaming on 2 bouts of Covid . As a consequence Ive just basically packed it in.

Im getting itchy feet again and noticed the run 62 miles in March the cancer research charity thing. Basically 2 miles every day in March.
    I feel like this might be a good way back in. What are thoughts on basically putting on the shoes on the first day of March and launching into it. Am I setting myself up for failure here

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post

Ive not run now for 12 months, up until Covid I was a regular road cyclist and got some decent miles in running. Since Covid Ive just done gravel bike stuff - and not really much of that.

I have had a few goes back at running since Covid but always disappointed with how I felt. Ive never had a problem with my breathing but every time I tried to run I felt my breathing was holding me back, rightly or wrongly Im this blaming on 2 bouts of Covid . As a consequence Ive just basically packed it in.

Im getting itchy feet again and noticed the run 62 miles in March the cancer research charity thing. Basically 2 miles every day in March.
    I feel like this might be a good way back in. What are thoughts on basically putting on the shoes on the first day of March and launching into it. Am I setting myself up for failure here
    Go for it. It's just over 3K a day, and I reckon if you do that every day you'll know by the end of the moth if your fitness is back up to it. I suspect it will be. I'm no expert at all, but it's easy to lose fitness and more difficult to regain. Are you perhaps worrying about wanting too much, too soon? When your breathing was holding you back, what sort of pace were you doing? Did it help if you slowed down at all? When you're building up, long slow runs are very beneficial, more than doing shorter distances and getting out of puff.

Craftsman
    I'm trying to get back into running and what my Garmin seems to suggest is take it at a slow pace if you haven't done it for a while. The base runs it suggests for me are paced at around 7 min per km so over 10 min per mile. So far this is working for me because I can complete 30 minutes at this pace with no stopping and so far no injuries. So go for it, but hold yourself back on pace so you don't get too out of breath.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Go for it. It's just over 3K a day, and I reckon if you do that every day you'll know by the end of the moth if your fitness is back up to it. I suspect it will be. I'm no expert at all, but it's easy to lose fitness and more difficult to regain. Are you perhaps worrying about wanting too much, too soon? When your breathing was holding you back, what sort of pace were you doing? Did it help if you slowed down at all? When you're building up, long slow runs are very beneficial, more than doing shorter distances and getting out of puff.
    My breathing was dictating my pace really. Ive never been a fast runner, at my best 8 min miles but usually 9 min, struggled to get under 10min though. I think it is probably a number of factors, Im 63 now and prob 20lb heavier than pre Covid. I feel like I have got the ability to get back into running and need that catalyst for getting the shoes on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    I'm trying to get back into running and what my Garmin seems to suggest is take it at a slow pace if you haven't done it for a while. The base runs it suggests for me are paced at around 7 min per km so over 10 min per mile. So far this is working for me because I can complete 30 minutes at this pace with no stopping and so far no injuries. So go for it, but hold yourself back on pace so you don't get too out of breath.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk
    Yes thanks for that, Im thinking that 2 miles will keep a hold on things for a while and stop me wanting to do too much too soon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    If I pick up any injuries one of the first places I go to is Bob and Brad, they have a load of useful self help guides.

Their massage guns are very good as well.

https://youtu.be/qqAlt1k_-gs?si=ewN8iU9W-WLwpGu7
    Thank you. A useful watch.

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Yes thanks for that, Im thinking that 2 miles will keep a hold on things for a while and stop me wanting to do too much too soon
    Have you thought about starting back with a gentle intro using something like couch to 5k?
    Maybe starting from week 3 or 4 to start with if week 1 is too easy?

Maybe a nice simple way to get back into things rather than setting a 62 mile goal for month 1 which I think is a lot coming from zero running recently.

Master

Personally I feel that running every day even if not that far you stand a good chance of getting injured. I'm 59 and there's no way I could recover properly running every day.

I have been doing c25k starting at week 5 and it's been great for easing back in, bearing in mind I am pretty fit from cycling.

On the subject of which yesterday I did 5k including 5 mins of walking in just over 29 mins extending the 20 minute run to 25 as I was feeling good, so I think the c25k has pretty much done its job! I'll finish week 8 and crack on from there I think.

Master
    Thanks for last 2 comments fellas, I just think that a set challenge rather than a loose sort of C25k might be more focused

Master
    Thanks for last 2 comments fellas, I just think that a set challenge rather than a loose sort of C25k might be more focused
    Well if you get the c2k app it nags you to get it done so a bit focussed.

But fair enough, good luck with it and if you haven't already done so join the Strava group so we can see how how you're doing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Well if you get the c2k app it nags you to get it done so a bit focussed.

But fair enough, good luck with it and if you haven't already done so join the Strava group so we can see how how you're doing
    Thanks. 👍

Master
    Decided that my last run I near as damn it ran 5k, so today decided that c25k had done its job, 5k in 27m22, so I think I am back in the game 👍

Will do 5k for the next couple of runs then start to up the distance.

Goal is to do my local run, a 10k trail run at end of April. Or at least be fit enough to do it, it's the day before I fly out to Mallorca for a cycling holiday so not convinced actually doing it is a great idea!

40 miles on the bike tomorrow, maybe 60 on Sunday if it looks like it might stop raining at some point 🙄

Beautiful but chilly morning at Rutland Water parkrun this morning. No wind which is always a bonus there. New pb of 23:44.

Journeyman
    Volunteering today, 20 minute pacer. Close enough ;)

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the newcomers up there and good to see more delving in.

As said above do not underestimate running every day even if it is just 2 miles. Keeping it really really gentle is still going to load everything massively.

@Irish boy - that is superb, great pace and having been on pacing duties many times it takes some doing to hit the time.

@Space Traveller - Congrats on the PB, fantastic time. Now to ditch the 23 min monkey.

Chucked some effort in again yesterday and boy oh boy hard work.

Pitch

Master
    Following up on my post of this week about whether to embark on the 62 miles in March (2 miles a day)

I dipped my toe in today having signed up I thought Id better have a reality check. First time after 12 months away from the shoes.

Well I got round in one. Steady time 10.58/mile.

Feelings on the way round were of why did I let running get away from me, I could have done this in slippers a year ago

But at least I know I can do 2 miles non stop as it were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post
    Volunteering today, 20 minute pacer. Close enough ;)
    That is fast! And you were only pacing.

Master
    About 36.5km for me today including 2 target race pace efforts of 30 mins each. Absolutely shattered now!

Naples half marathon was taking place today, sadly I didnt realise until walking around the city and seeing the participants out and about.

Seeing the runners did inspire me to put my shoes on and go out for a 6km run. Great views for a run.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Naples half marathon was taking place today, sadly I didnt realise until walking around the city and seeing the participants out and about.

Seeing the runners did inspire me to put my shoes on and go out for a 6km run. Great views for a run.

I just love that place, gotta think of that next year.

Have a good trip fella.

Pitch

Master
    Had a brilliant day today at the London Winter Run 10k. The biggest 10k race in the UK with over 22,000 entrants, sponsored by Cancer Research UK. Ran in support of my good mate Pete who is battling Stage4, this is the third year that I've run the event.

The event starts in Trafalgar Sq, heads down the Strand / Aldwych and down towards the Royal Exchange in the City before turning back towards the West End. Finish line is on WhiteHall.

The past 6months have been rough - not training well, body falling apart, never running below 5:15/5:30/km and simply battling age vs mileage/pace. It was tough around the 6/7km mark as the mind started drifting and you start feeling the weakness. Mind snaps back in, reminded of my purpose and reason I'm running the event, and just kick a bit harder. Ran a PB (47:37 or 48:02 depending on Coros vs chiptime) and just really psyched about the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Well done, great time and just lovely running around London.

Keep it up.

Pitch

Journeyman
    5x 1 kilometre repeats tonight, 3.31 target per rep.

First couple behind pace, last couple ahead.

Tough session will feel that tomorrow!

Blog Entries
    Flying !!!!!!!!!

Hip pain after Mondays 11 miles but had been threatening for a while. No training last night just stretching and conditioning. Hopefully all good for Sundays Cambridge Half.

Pitch

Blimey thats going at a fair clip, Irish. Nice one!

Hope the hips sort themselves Pitch, and the very best of luck for Sunday.

Master
    Good luck for Sunday, P.

Wow, what pace Irish boy.

Blog Entries
    Cheers fellas, always loads of pics there so will post a nice one up of me blowing out of my backside.

Pitch

Master
    Good luck! A colleague is also running the Cambridge Half. Hes an ultra runner - 100 miles sort of stuff!

No PB at Rutland Water parkrun, just crept in under 24 mins.

Master
    Lots of standing water at Harrow Parkrun today I had to arrange a detour round the worst one, so over three laps ended up slightly over distance. With the weather today numbers were well down.

There were pacers at Rutland Water today, but the lad doing 24 minutes finished a good way behind me, so I think the people running with him wouldn't be too chuffed!

Master
    There were pacers at Rutland Water today, but the lad doing 24 minutes finished a good way behind me, so I think the people running with him wouldn't be too chuffed!
    Had the same today at parkrun. Relatively low turnout and pacers.

I stuck with 29 for the first k and thought it felt easier than it ought to. Got to 1k and my watch said 6 mins 15. That explained it!
    I then heard the lady saying we are ahead of our pace. I thought I was going nuts. Anyway think they realised eventually and sped up. Ive been at around the 30 min mark recently and got in slightly under that which I was happy with given the conditions.

Craftsman
    Finished Nova Prestatyn Parkrun in 27:18 then a further 5k of intervals. Ive never done interval training before, my legs now feel like the first time I ran last year, very sore. Hopefully more achy means more strength and stamina.

Nice one chaps.

Did an 18K long run today. Absolutely everything hurts!

Blog Entries
    Good work chaps.

Cambridge Half was as good as ever. If you fancy a nice flat ish half running through a wonderful city, the beautiful colleges and stunning countryside then this is one is a definite. Close on 13,000 ran yesterday.

First four miles I put some effort in and then backed off, I am low in confidence of my current fitness. Enjoyable gentle mid section and then picked it up to finish.

1:46.52 which is two and a half minutes slower than my course best but I enjoyed every minute and very happy with my time.

It’s been a journey over the past few months which saw my running take a back seat and my fitness and strength tumble, but yesterday gave me a marker that I am on the way back, a small hip and quad nag this morning aside.

Keep it up chaps and keep the posts going.

Pitch

Last edited by Pitch3110; 4th March 2024 at 09:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Good work chaps.

Cambridge Half was as good as ever. If you fancy a nice flat ish half running through a wonderful city, the beautiful colleges and stunning countryside then this is one is a definite. Close on 13,000 ran yesterday.

1:46.52 which is two and a half minutes slower than my course best but I enjoyed every minute and very happy with my time.

Pitch
    Well done - I do like Cambridge (I went to Cambridge Grammar School in the early 1960s) - it was my third half, and first one under 1.45. Currently at nearly 50 half marathons, and nowadays looking at closer to 2 hours!

Great stuff Pitch, that's a very good time. Well, I'd be extremely pleased with it, anyway! The London Landmarks Half will be the first half marathon me and my daughter have done, and at the moment we're just targetting getting as close to 2 hours as we can. The thing is now, while I'm miles faster than her at the 5K, on long runs she's now finding it much easier than I am. We've always said we'll run it together, but I'm starting to feel bad that I'll be holding her back from getting the time she's capable of, which would probably be sub 2 hours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Good work chaps.

First four miles I put some effort in and then backed off, I am low in confidence of my current fitness. Enjoyable gentle mid section and then picked it up to finish.

Its been a journey over the past few months which saw my running take a back seat and my fitness and strength tumble, but yesterday gave me a marker that I am on the way back, a small hip and quad nag this morning aside.

Keep it up chaps and keep the posts going.

Pitch
    Well done! A colleague of mine did it in a very similar time (1:45:something).

Master
    Nice one chaps.

Did an 18K long run today. Absolutely everything hurts!
    I can relate! Another 32km+ for me yesterday and none of it was at an "easy" pace: 4 times 5km at a fast pace with 1km less fast to separate the 5km intervals. The remaining distance before and after these blocks was also at the same "less fast" pace. Felt broken after that but lower body immersion in a cold bath for 20 mins helped. Then today early morning very gentle 45 min recovery run and afternoon weight training session helped further. Still not fully recovered but feel much better now.

I didn't get much done the last few weeks.
    I had a 4 mile road race yesterday and came in at 26:57 (4:12 min/km or 6:45 min/mile). It's a 2 minute pb which I'm happy about.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk