closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1541

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Well, the first 14k didn't go badly, after that it got a bit messy. Definitely felt the missed training. However, I still completed it and, as my first half, it's automatically a PB (2:04:56, given how I felt I'm happy with that.)

I'll do a half again.
    As you said it’s still a PB and will be easy to improve. Actually not a bad time at all for a first HM, especially if you couldn’t train as much as you wanted to. Well done!

Master
    I’ve only been doing lots of short runs (max was 12k last weekend) since my marathon double. First it was because of bad knee and foot pain, then a combination of letting the pains settle down more, being terribly busy and also focusing on pace for a virtual challenge (~5k).

Last week I submitted a 4:13 min/km run along the Embankment & Whitehall for the challenge which was my PB (first PB in about a year!). Multiple entries allowed so I tried to improve it by going to a proper synthetic race track today but could only manage the distance at an avg of 4:22 min/km despite zero elevation, no dodging the traffic or people. I put it down to low fuel (small breakfast and then nothing for over 4 hours, very little water too) and being tired (very little sleep). Didn’t go to plan but not every run does.

Then 6 min walking break to get to the road and another ~6km run back to home at 4:54 min/km which wasn’t bad given how hilly it was and I had run pretty much flat out just a few minutes before. So ~12k total today.

I was itching to run a HM this weekend but just didn’t have the time. Probably for the best because while I know I can do it, I really should give my knee & foot a bit more time to heal instead. May be next weekend …

Master
    Well, the first 14k didn't go badly, after that it got a bit messy. Definitely felt the missed training. However, I still completed it and, as my first half, it's automatically a PB (2:04:56, given how I felt I'm happy with that.)

I'll do a half again.
    Well done Dave. Now that there is some normality back with the parkruns, I look forward to joining you for a run, then go on for a visit to my sister

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Well done Dave. Now that there is some normality back with the parkruns, I look forward to joining you for a run, then go on for a visit to my sister
    That sounds like a plan to me.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Blog Entries
    Cambridge Half again yesterday and can wholeheartedly recommend it

Split between running through the old streets, college’s and some beautiful countryside.

Next year it returns to March, Covid-19 permitting of course.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Buchannon View Post
    Good luck on starting your training. And we all know that the correct answer to your question is of course you need a new watch :-)

I have my first marathon on the 24th October. I'm doing Dublin virtually as the main event has been cancelled. If it goes well, I am thinking about doing a 50km "ultra" in February.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    So just to follow-up on this..I completed my first marathon today. Finished up doing it in 4:09:33. I'm pretty happy with that.
    I'll have to get cracking on planning the next one now.

Master
    So just to follow-up on this..I completed my first marathon today. Finished up doing it in 4:09:33. I'm pretty happy with that.
    Congratulations!

Master
    I impulsively signed up for the Regents Park Half Marathon 4 days ago, lured by an ad on my social media feed. No PB for me today at 1:48 but a good, small event comprising of 110 or so participants only. It was classed as intermediate i.e. had to complete in 2 hours. A bit tedious running 5 laps of the same loop, dodging other park users and their pets but beats running on my own any day.

Too bad I don’t yet have a medal to show for it as apparently delivery was delayed in customs. They will post the medals to participants.

Master
    I'll have to get cracking on planning the next one now.
    Well done. Rather under 10 mins a mile, so a great start.

Master
    Looks like we have some members consistently putting in high mileages on the forum. Wonder what events are they going for??

Journeyman
    Borrowdale fell race for me. Its terrifying
    Looks like we have some members consistently putting in high mileages on the forum. Wonder what events are they going for??
    Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Cambridge Half in three weeks, then a 10k race, then a 5 mile three race series and the a 10k summer series.

Goals for 2022 - 21min 5k, 46min 10k and sub 7:50min/mile half.

Trouble is years are galloping away and 60 is looming…….

Pitch

I have just finished up my last training block and I did my 50k race yesterday.
    I came in at 4:48:05. I'm very happy with that.
    It was my first ultra and I really enjoyed it. Im already.looking forward to the next one....kinda

Master
    I am not in the group but running different distances 3-4 times a week including a long run every weekend. Joined a running club towards the end of last year to learn from weekly track sessions and from just being among better runners. Started doing Parkruns from Christmas day (but not every week) to improve racing mentality. Ran a couple of proper races this year (one last month and one today). Also finally managing not to do all my runs at the same “flat out” effort and learning to pace myself down using tech. Haven’t got the hang of it fully yet but slowly getting better at it. I have been feeling very inexperienced (and stupid!) particularly since I joined the running club. All these changes were necessary as I have a marathon in autumn that I’d like to do much better than last year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by martinupnorth View Post
    Borrowdale fell race for me. Its terrifying

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Terrifying is the correct word. I did one fell race in the early 1980s and came in the last 10. The week before I had done a half in Peterborough and came in the first 20.

Master

first half marathon in 7 days time

So, I have gone for a longish run every week for the past five or so weeks and this time next week (hopefully) I will have finished my first ever half marathon.

Any suggestions for what to do between now and next Sunday? I am only going to do one gentle jog on Wednesday and also plan to have no alcohol for a couple of days before hand.

thanks for any advice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    Any suggestions for what to do between now and next Sunday?
    Keep yourself well-hydrated (but don’t over-hydrate). Not just on Sunday but at least a couple of days before. Also decent amount of carbs the day before I’d say. Plus a carb-focused breakfast a couple of hours before the run next Sunday.

Running-wise it shouldn’t hurt too much if you did a couple of short and easy runs during the week, even on Saturday. Keep the legs moving but don’t tire yourself too much.

Good luck for Sunday!

I’m thinking a lot about nutrition to fuel my runs properly these days and trying different ideas. Got a HM next month and I’d like a PB. Typically for breakfast I have been having oatmeal porridge with protein powder and a banana before long runs and even on race days. Finding I was lacking energy to push harder later on. Someone suggested plain bagels and banana for breakfast. I did a 34km run with 200m ascent on Thursday on 2 bagels (plus sports drink with carbs and electrolytes during the run) and a 23km run this morning on a bagel and a banana. Energy-wise I felt better than I have towards the end of long runs, despite strong winds making things difficult. Early days though.

Ran my first marathon this weekend, not in any event just in part of my Ultra training, ended up 4:19 for a marathon distance on my own.
    I was pretty pleased with it as it was my first, I still cant for the life of me get my head round the fact someone is able to run that distance in under 2 hours

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Ran my first marathon this weekend, not in any event just in part of my Ultra training, ended up 4:19 for a marathon distance on my own.
    I was pretty pleased with it as it was my first, I still cant for the life of me get my head round the fact someone is able to run that distance in under 2 hours
    Well done you. Was just chatting about the elite marathon times as we'd cycled 28 miles at 13.5mph so pretty similar which is amazing. I suspect I could never run 1 Mile sub 5min pace even when I was younger and fitter!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Well done! And regarding ~2 hours (or less) marathon times, I said the same thing as you to my physio once. Her response made me feel less bad about myself, even though I have a competitive nature. I don't remember the exact words but it was something like this: "Those people are professional athletes. They have been doing this since childhood, didn't start running in their 40s like you. They don't sit at a desk and work on a computer crazy hours in a stressful job like you. They have far more time to train, work on mobility/flexibility and strength than you do. Be proud of what you have achieved in your circumstances in such a short time."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    So, I have gone for a longish run every week for the past five or so weeks and this time next week (hopefully) I will have finished my first ever half marathon.

Any suggestions for what to do between now and next Sunday? I am only going to do one gentle jog on Wednesday and also plan to have no alcohol for a couple of days before hand.

thanks for any advice.

well I managed to do it, but annoyingly I took two hours and 58 seconds. Will def try another one to get it below the two hour mark.

Master

Green Belt Relay

Very short notice but looking for a couple of runners who can join our team of 11 this weekend and run one stage of the Green Belt Relay on Saturday the 14th May and another on Sunday the 15th. Last minute injuries mean we're short and not allowed to participate if we can't make up the numbers. Each leg is roughly between 9 and 13 miles and difficulty levels vary. I haven't done this before but been promised it's a great event and really god fun. If interested in helping out a very desperate group of runners, please PM me for details!

Weird - - although serious knee and hip issues have prevented me from running for quite a while, I have frequent dreams of running effortlessly on roads and trails.

I see the TZ-UK running club has disappeared from my Strava.
    I didn't delete it.
    I had a search again and I can't see it anywhere in the club section. Only TZ one I could see was the cycling group.

Can anyone ne else check and see if it's still in their Strava .

Blog Entries
    Yep, running gone, cycling still there.

Pitch

Journeyman
    Yes. Gone from my profile too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, mine as well. It was there a few days ago.
    Dave E

I've reformed the club, membership currently only me:https://www.strava.com/clubs/1080417

Ask to join here (and tell me your Strava name) and I'll add you in.
    Dave E

Master
    I've reformed the club, membership currently only me:https://www.strava.com/clubs/1080417

Cheers Dave. Joined. I've somehow missed this thread for a while!

Still trying to keep up mileage, but have been struggling this year. 2y ago things felt really good. Last year not so much, and this year has been a real struggle. Been battling a right foot injury where my plantar immediately underneath my arch flares up every time until it's excruciating... like having red hot kitchen knives stabbed into your foot. It flared up after I ran a Parkrun a few months back in some zero-drop shoes... which I generally run in at least once a week. Mistake. Back to my Hokas...

Thanks for setting the club back up. I just hit join and I was instantly back in.

Craftsman

Thanks for doing this Dave - I’ve just rejoined as well. As above, I was added in as soon as I requested to join.

Master
    Me please Dave!!

Me please Dave!!
    Sent you an invite.
    Dave E

SydR
    Just joined too.

Not read back that far but is anyone else running London Marathon next weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Good luck!

(I've decided that a half is my limit, just don't fancy the full marathon distance.)
    Dave E

Blog Entries
    Cheers Dave and back in.

Ta

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    I'm running it but virtually using the official app rather than the organised event. Although I won't treat it like a race, instead will take it easy because I ran my goal race Berlin on Sunday the 25th. Had to give it my all and sprint the last few hundred metres to hit my target. Completed in 3:29:50, taking 42 minutes off my PB (London 2021)!

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I'm running it but virtually using the official app rather than the organised event. Although I won't treat it like a race, instead will take it easy because I ran my goal race Berlin on Sunday the 25th. Had to give it my all and sprint the last few hundred metres to hit my target. Completed in 3:29:50, taking 42 minutes off my PB (London 2021)!
    Not sure if you've seen this but this from Strava is really interesting and shows what a great time that is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not sure if you've seen this but this from Strava is really interesting and shows what a great time that is.
    Thanks for sharing, hadn't seen this before. Agreed, 2:01:09 M and 2:15:37 F are indeed incomprehensible 🤯

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    That's a fantastic time in Berlin. Well done. You must be thrilled.

I have Dublin in 4 weeks. Aiming for a sub 4hr. My training has been going well so far. My results at the Dublin race series have been encouraging.

So all going to plan that will happen for me.

Master
    That's a fantastic time in Berlin. Well done. You must be thrilled.

I have Dublin in 4 weeks. Aiming for a sub 4hr. My training has been going well so far. My results at the Dublin race series have been encouraging.

So all going to plan that will happen for me.
    Thanks - yes, I am very happy.

Trust your training. I am a relatively new runner and was very sceptical of my abilities, especially due to poor performance last year. However, some more experienced (but much younger) runners who had visibility of my training kept reassuring me I was doing great. I revised my target down from 3:45 to 3:30 only 3 weeks before the race following their advice.

Good luck at Dublin!

Master

Can any of the runners explain the peak to the left of the mean. Did the graph include both* genders ?

* yes, I’m aware some may argue there are more than two genders.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I have joined or ask the Join too.

I do loads of obstacle racing - all the crazy overnight tough mudder etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Can any of the runners explain the peak to the left of the mean. Did the graph include both* genders ?

* yes, I’m aware some may argue there are more than two genders.

I would imagine all the peaks to the left of the mean can be explained by people training to beat psychological barriers such as 3:30 & 3 hours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I would imagine all the peaks to the left of the mean can be explained by people training to beat psychological barriers such as 3:30 & 3 hours.
    Interesting, thank you.

Master

The crazy thing is that Eliud averaged over 21km/h for over 2 hours. The high spec Technogym treadmill at my gym maxes out at only 20km/h! I'm not even sure I can stay on the machine at max speed without being ejected off the back of it after a few seconds, let alone exceed it's vmax for over 2hrs continuously!

It might be a long shot and this might not be the best place to ask but...

Anyone know Dublin, particularly as a runner?

I'm there working next week staying in a hotel on the Grand Canal in the Charlemont area. I'd like to get two runs in while I'm there. My plan for run one is to head out of the hotel, turn right, run along the canal for about 2 miles and then turnaround and head back. My plan for run two is to head out of the hotel, turn left, run along the canal to the Grand Canal Dock, run around the dock for a bit and then head back along the canal.

Anything I need to know?

So was anyone lucky enough to get a place in the London Marathon via the ballot?

I received my annual PFO email yesterday afternoon.

Master
    So was anyone lucky enough to get a place in the London Marathon via the ballot?

I received my annual PFO email yesterday afternoon.
    Not me but being successful in 3 WMM ballots in 5 months is already bordering on unreal for me. 4 in 9 months would have been something else!

3 ??? That's fantastic. Obviously not great for your bank account but that's brilliant. Delighted for you.