closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1454

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Master
    I went for the 10km event last week, it was a lot of fun finally to be able to participate in an event like that with more than 500 runners. I did the 10km in 46:45, okay pace for me and the last time I did the same race around 5 years ago I also did 46-something, so I haven't lost much of the pace. I'm not a runner, I'm a cyclist and I mostly run only in winter.

Maysie and FK thank you.

I have a short window to accomplish a goal and I don't have time to mess about as I'll miss the age cut-off.

So I'm prepared to do a few things I know aren't good practice in the knowledge that over the coming years I will move to cycling then hiking then walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    When pizza?
    DK is renowned for ordering pizza on a run.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    So I'm prepared to do a few things I know aren't good practice in the knowledge that over the coming years I will move to cycling then hiking then walking.
    That's where I'm at! Then comes the electric fat tire bike - - picking it up next week.

^Very nice. Looks great.

Can't remember the name of the company but there is a small business that sells a bike that mimics the running movement without the harshness.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I went for the 10km event last week, it was a lot of fun finally to be able to participate in an event like that with more than 500 runners. I did the 10km in 46:45, okay pace for me and the last time I did the same race around 5 years ago I also did 46-something, so I haven't lost much of the pace. I'm not a runner, I'm a cyclist and I mostly run only in winter.
    Well done. Good pace.

I’m still solo running 4 times a week and don’t expect that to change before October 3rd, London Marathon day. That’s going to be a shock to the system .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    When pizza?
    Evenings. Roughly once a week. That was one of the good things - being disciplined with breakfast (oatmeal cereal) and lunch on weekdays when I was busy and not really thinking much about food allowed me to eat whatever I wanted for dinner and all weekend. I know my weakness - love food and usually the bad type. So any restrictive diet isn’t possible for me long term.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I know my weakness - love food and usually the bad type. So any restrictive diet isn’t possible for me long term.
    Same here.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Update on my side. I had a break after the consultant strictly told me to stop running while my nerve settles down. Cardio-wise I was reduced to static bike, brisk walk on treadmill at full 15% gradient and cross-trainer at the gym. I kept those low impact exercises going at high intensity to try and retain as much fitness as possible (nothing beats running though). Also some strength training, mostly upper body and not with as heavy weights as I was using before.

After 23 days I couldn’t hold it any longer and went for a 5k. Not my best but still surprised I could manage a 4:39 min/km avg pace despite the pain. It wasn’t anywhere near hellish as my previous runs and even after 1-2 days I found it didn’t aggravate the condition by a huge amount. Both encouraging signs so I did another 5k. Then a nearly 11k run on Thursday. Slow, with a few walking breaks (5.01 min/km avg) but better than nothing. Toying with the idea of pushing to 15k today/tomorrow.

I am now less concerned about the ASICS 10k next month - should be doable at a respectable pace but no PB. My focus is on the two marathons in Autumn (hope Germany is able to unban us by then - Berlin is a dream). For those I need to build lower body strength which means lifting heavy weights. Not confident I can do that right now as it can be hard on the spine. Consultant has agreed and I have a procedure booked in 10 days time. The injection could allow me to move better and hopefully start lifting heavy stuff in a few weeks’ time. I am wondering whether I should delay it. I am getting better without it but it is slow and I want to allow myself enough time to train.

Sounds promising FK77. I was tense reading that as I thought it was building up to you hurting yourself but it all sounds onwards and upwards. Must do wonders for your mind being out running again.

Moving house, lots on at work, rooms being out of action for painting and severe hayfever are my excuses but one room is painted and the Wahoo is in there now. Told myself last night I can't do anything today at all until I've weighed myself, reactivated Zwift and got on that bike for 40 minutes. I think I need it mentally as much as I need it physically but it's impossible to underestimate how much I need it physically.

Fartleks to improve speed if you haven’t already tried that?
    That is what I meant in my post when I said 'Intervals'.
    Damn, I have been calling them the wrong thing for years!!

Fast, slow, fast, slow.

Not fast, stop, fast, stop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

Fast, slow, fast, slow.

Lol. When speaking to someone I always call them intervals too. Afraid of what they might think when I say fartlek!

Anyway 15k done. Right now I’m feeling it may not have been a wise move. I’ll update in a couple of days where this idea was on the “stupid scale” of 1 to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

Fast, slow, fast, slow.

A few years ago, before my hip replacement, I would take one day a week and run a rolling gravel canyon road. I would traverse 4-6 miles alternating running at 85-90% effort and then walking for a minute or two. I wouldn't stop running until my lungs (and legs) were about to burst. Although I was exhausted by the end, the drill proved to significantly improve my running strength, speed, and endurance, plus running at that pace trained the muscles to maintain excellent running form.

Master
    Anyway 15k done. Right now I’m feeling it may not have been a wise move. I’ll update in a couple of days where this idea was on the “stupid scale” of 1 to 10.
    No long lasting effects from the 15k other than a lot of tiredness until the end of run day + 1. That's totally expected even though until mid April I was running a HM every single weekend. I am out of practice now.

Ran a 4:37 min/km 10k today. Does look like I am on the mend! If only I could lift some serious weights soon to start rebuilding lower body strength...

Saw an old friend today.

He's 70 and still faster than me. Mind you, he was quick when he was younger and he's no slouch now.

He thinks that sprints help to boost metabolism in some way but I'm not quite sure how. I've forgotten it all TBH.

Anyway, I'm going to try some intervals. I've got a lot of work to do...

Master
    This afternoon, I did my first proper long run since April. Chose the worst possible day for it though. I think the heat was far more to blame for it than me being currently out of my element (injury + out of of practice). Barely managed to finish it in just under 2 hours including lots of walking breaks. I was running these HMs every single weekend, frequently under 1:40 (PB 1:37) and always under 1:48 even on more hilly routes like today. Seems a distant memory but it was only 3 months ago!

At least I’m back, albeit on the slow track. Also happy that the mental strength is still there. Need to start lifting heavier weights to build back my lower body strength as soon as I get the green light. It really showed today - it was hard work. Long way to go…

^Good stuff FK.

I planned a long run yesterday but I have a sore Achilles tendon.

I Googled it and saw some stretching exercises where you keep the injured back leg straight (foot on the ground) and bend the front leg (which is fine) while leaning forward.

I think that's made it worse.

Any other ideas?

Journeyman
    Well after saying I would never do another one, I've entered the Manchester marathon for October. Less time than I would have liked to prepare so I'm expecting to hit a big wall at mile 19. This is definitely my last one.

Grand Master
    ^Good stuff FK.

I Googled it and saw some stretching exercises where you keep the injured back leg straight (foot on the ground) and bend the front leg (which is fine) while leaning forward.

Any other ideas?
    You're supposed to do the stretching to avoid getting the problems, once you start with inflammation you need to take it v. easy till it settles down. Volterol gel massaged into the area can help.

Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    Well after saying I would never do another one, I've entered the Manchester marathon for October. Less time than I would have liked to prepare so I'm expecting to hit a big wall at mile 19. This is definitely my last one.
    Take gels well in advance, by the time you start tying up you're stuffed.

Well, IME anyway.

A friend of mine used to take a gel on the startline. I thought that was madness but now I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    You're supposed to do the stretching to avoid getting the problems, once you start with inflammation you need to take it v. easy till it settles down. Volterol gel massaged into the area can help.
    Thanks WW. I'd forgotten about topical gel. Appreciate it.

Journeyman
    Agree regards the gel, but they are awful things after a while. I've tried gel cubes which I found a little better but still looking for somthing less 'gummy' and sickly.

Master
    I’m still running and looking at doing a 1000km in the year, but my running times are down on where they were three months ago, can it just be the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I’m still running and looking at doing a 1000km in the year, but my running times are down on where they were three months ago, can it just be the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Fatigue perhaps? Scheduling rest days in any training plan is important.
    Last edited by fierbois16; 19th July 2021 at 21:49. Reason: Qoute in wrong place

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    Agree regards the gel, but they are awful things after a while. I've tried gel cubes which I found a little better but still looking for somthing less 'gummy' and sickly.
    I am done with gels. Further up (much further up) this thread, I got a tip to try Tailwind Nutrition’s endurance fuel. Salts and carbs both in powder form that dissolves easily in water. You can get concentration right to suit your own needs after a few uses. No need to carry gels/bars/anything else. Single drink satisfies both hydration and energy requirements. I’m totally sold. Try it … if it suits you, I bet you won’t go back.

PS: No affiliation with Tailwind - just a happy customer who hadn’t even heard of them before a member here recommended it.

Master
    I’m not normally this unorganised. Completely forgot I had signed up to this ASICS group run at Hyde Park today ahead of Sunday’s ASICS London 10k. Wouldn’t have run a half marathon in yesterday’s heat had I remembered - I try to avoid running on consecutive days, especially after a long run. I also wouldn’t have gone to the gym this morning to do a full workout - I never do both strength training and running on the same day. Totally knackered now. I don’t intentionally take rest days, it happens once/twice a month due to work but tomorrow I’m taking a planned day off. No running or gym.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    Yes, particularly when the heat combines with humidity. It can be like pulling an anchor behind you, especially as you pass through your 40s and beyond.

Master
    Parkruns back from the 24th - great news. A bit worried that my local one in Harrow could be mobbed, so volunteering as a marshal as it means I can stand back from the runners.

Journeyman
    Depends what you mean by 'sore'!

I am not a physio and if it doesn't settle down in a few days you might want to see one, but static stretching like that is rarely recommended these days.

I'd rest it til it doesn't hurt and think about root causes. It may be that some strengthening is needed, so consider some calf drops - the slower, the better!

Achilles can be pesky injuries - don't overdo it!
    ^Good stuff FK.

Any other ideas?
    Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks Martin.

I think my trainers need changing.

I haven't wanted to fork out £110 for the new model.

I usually go to Runner's Need and buy the previous year's model as Pegasus are quite similar each year.

I will rest. What do you think about cycling in the interim?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Parkruns back from the 24th - great news. A bit worried that my local one in Harrow could be mobbed, so volunteering as a marshal as it means I can stand back from the runners.
    I'm annoyed that I can't make the the first Parkrun back (prior commitment elsewhere), but really glad they're starting up again.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

SydR
    Parkruns in Scotland are working towards a date in mid-August to restart.

Be interesting to see how that goes as the one nearest me regularly sees over 700 runners a week.

Journeyman
    Probably a good thing - there's no impact on the achilles and will keep plenty of blood flowing through it
    Thanks Martin.

I think my trainers need changing.

I haven't wanted to fork out £110 for the new model.

I usually go to Runner's Need and buy the previous year's model as Pegasus are quite similar each year.

I will rest. What do you think about cycling in the interim?

I'll be running tomorrow (thank you marshal). I do a bit of parkrun tourism but my home parkrun got stuck on 99 events so I would have been at #100 whether it happened in March last year or tomorrow.
    I don't know if there will be loads of happy returners and new runners tomorrow or loads of people not comfortable coming back. I've been volunteering at some local junior parkruns recently and numbers are roughly normal so I kind of expect 5K to be the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I'll be running tomorrow (thank you marshal). I do a bit of parkrun tourism but my home parkrun got stuck on 99 events so I would have been at #100 whether it happened in March last year or tomorrow.
    I don't know if there will be loads of happy returners and new runners tomorrow or loads of people not comfortable coming back. I've been volunteering at some local junior parkruns recently and numbers are roughly normal so I kind of expect 5K to be the same.
    I do a bit of tourism, so at around 70/80runs in Harrow, plus the bingo as well.
    The weather here is soft rain, so that should help keep the number of runners and park users down.
    Today, in addition to marshalling I have to meet the Mayor and Mayoress at their car, then take them over so that they can be the starters of the run (then I have to beat all the runners to my marshal point!).

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Here's a question for you all - in the summer I prefer to run without socks. I have one pair of Sauconys that have very nearly ceased to be and the replacements I bought (last year) are rubbing me up the wrong way now that the weather has improved. Any recommendations for a nice lightweight pair of shoes (normal gait) that won't have irritating lines of stitching in unwelcome places? I don't think I'll be bothering with Saucony again.
    Have you looked at any Triathlon specific running shoes - they would work. Off Sportsshoes I bought a pair of these for £65 ASICS Gel-Noosa Tri 12 Running Shoe , but just looked and those offers have gone.
    I thought I should provide an update. Tracking down triathlon shoes was a little tricky but while the nice sales lady at Lunge der Laufladen spent almost half an hour in the stockroom trying to find stuff in that category I had the opportunity to examine almost their entire display stock (it's quite a big shop) for unnecessary stitching. In the end there were no suitable triathlon shoes but I ended up with a pair of Brooks Ghost 13s and they've been a dream.

Thanks Andrzej - I realise I didn't follow your instructions to the letter but I got there in the end and, inadvertently, it was your advice that got me there.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Ran the ASICS London 10k this morning. My first properly sponsored, non-corporate race. Great atmosphere.

Time also not bad considering I had to take a few walking breaks to punch my sciatica-suffering glute and hamstring to try and distract the nerve.

Master
    Also, the charity with which I am signed up for Berlin Marathon is not going ahead this year and given me a few options. The only ones I am considering are changing to London 2021 or Berlin 2022. I have an open ballot place for Berlin 2021 too and already registered for the virtual London 2021. Now thinking what to do.

Nice job on your 10k.

Quote Originally Posted by martinupnorth View Post
    Probably a good thing - there's no impact on the achilles and will keep plenty of blood flowing through it

Thanks Martin.

C-B, glad you're sorted. If you ever need a non-tri shoe that's neutral and doesn't break the bank, Air Pegasus are easy to find and have served me well for about twenty years.

Craftsman
    Ran the ASICS London 10k this morning. My first properly sponsored, non-corporate race. Great atmosphere.

Time also not bad considering I had to take a few walking breaks to punch my sciatica-suffering glute and hamstring to try and distract the nerve.

That's an excellent time. Well done!

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Master
    Due to uncertainty, Save the Children decided to pull their UK team out of Berlin Marathon and offered a few options. London Marathon 2021 was one of them so I took it and cancelled my virtual place for the same event. I still have my open ballot spot for Berlin and I am seriously considering deferring it to 2022. Will lose a bit of money but should probably do that instead of running 2 marathons 1 week apart in my condition.

Sciatica still present and when it got a bit better, I got COVID which seems to have aggravated the pain. It also amplified some old injuries that had been reduced to minor niggles pre-COVID. Not to mention fatigue now sets in quicker when exercising. As if that wasn’t enough, over the last couple of weeks heel and mid-foot pain has started which I suspect is plantar fasciitis. Seeing physio tomorrow at my first appointment after COVID so will see if he confirms it as PF. Odds stacked firmly against me and my goals.

I hadn’t been able to start marathon training until now but last Sunday I set out to do my first long run after a gap of several weeks (was capping at 10k due to injury/illness). Wanted to catch up so ditched the 10% rule and jumped straight to 30km in 2:55, passing through 9 boroughs. First time I pushed beyond half marathon this year. While it wasn’t a quality performance, it has still given me a huge mental boost and I am now beginning to feel I may be able to complete a marathon despite my physical problems. Obviously beating last year’s times is out of question but I would just be glad to cross a finish line in a half decent time, and not on all fours!

Master
    Disappointing performance at Berlin Marathon today for me. Hot day here and I was probably dehydrated from all the running around to sort things out yesterday, having arrived here very last minute. Too much cramping, too early.

Hope London is better next week.

Well done FK.

Hope the sciatica clears up.

I'm back training properly albeit slowly.

Master
    Sciatica wasn’t even an issue today. I was fearing plantar fasciitis and while it was very painful from 20km onwards, the thing killing my pace was cramps in quads and calves, way too early.

Master
    Disappointing performance at Berlin Marathon today for me. Hot day here and I was probably dehydrated from all the running around to sort things out yesterday, having arrived here very last minute. Too much cramping, too early.

Good luck with London next week.
    Quite a few of my friends are doing it, and a lot more doing virtual ones including at Eton Dorney.

Craftsman
    Good luck with London, I’ll be there doing my first and probably last marathon Lol.

Best of luck!

Master
    Best of luck to those doing London, and other marathons tomorrow. Let us know how you have got on.

I'll be tracking a couple of friends who are doing it for the first time.

Craftsman
    Marathon weekend is great for inspiring us lazy sods to get out there! Managed to get up to a half marathon at the start of the year then got injured and lost all my motivation so haven’t really run since. Back to it though in October, I don’t mind running (walking) in the cold and rain!

Cheers
    Rory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Best of luck to those doing London, and other marathons tomorrow. Let us know how you have got on.
    Thanks - will do. My tight schedule for Berlin meant I didn’t even have time to be nervous. Very anxious right now, especially because I performed poorly in the second half of the race last week. Lot of pressure to do better tomorrow!