closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Ouch!

I did my first run today after Sunday’s marathon. A gentle 5k that took me to 204km (above 200km in a month for the first time). Consists of 15 runs.
    Well done! I struggled with PF about 10 years ago and wore dedicated orthotics for several years that really helped. Since taking up running this year, I have found that the right shoes for your gait and lacing up right is critical to avoiding injury. With wet autumn days now upon us, I have also started more indoor strength training, swimming, and yoga to mix things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    250km this month for me including a few more rest days than normal. I run at 5.30am and a few nights broken sleep (life as a parent to a toddler) meant I skipped a few days

On track to hit my 2020km yearly target this month - not bad for somebody who couldn’t run the length of himself 2.5 years ago!
    Superb! I was almost 30kg heavier and very out of shape (ok round is a shape lol) in 2017. Only took up running this year in April/May and am now addicted to it. It has been brilliant for not only my physical but, perhaps more importantly, my mental health.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I struggled with PF about 10 years ago and wore dedicated orthotics for several years that really helped. Since taking up running this year, I have found that the right shoes for your gait and lacing up right is critical to avoiding injury. With wet autumn days now upon us, I have also started more indoor strength training, swimming, and yoga to mix things up.
    I had PF back in 2015, wasn’t a runner then. It lasted a few months. Physio treated it, lots of exercises. Touchwood, it hasn’t returned.

I run only 3 times a week. Strength train at the gym 3-4 days a week and 1 yoga class most weeks too. Most of my gym routine was prescribed by my physio (knee and hamstring injuries) to strengthen my weak areas for running. The rest is upper body stuff because I don’t want to look like “skin on bones”. Yoga is part of my week purely to ease some of the tightness caused by running. Running is at the centre of it all. Strength training is the reason I am able to run as much as I do despite poor biomechanics/posture/bad knees.

Master
    Got a pleasant surprise today. Ran my first half marathon in two and a half months. Yes, I did longer than 30km runs in preparation of my marathon during that time but not the actual 21.1km distance. Couldn’t believe how much faster I was able to do this without even specifically trying to improve pace over the past few months. Did it in 1:35:39 which was 12 minutes quicker than my previous best!

I am aware there were multiple differentiating factors between the runs: cooler weather, route with less elevation, using a convenient hydration reservoir instead of faffing around with a bottle (thanks to the recommendation earlier in this thread). I still think the biggest reason of all was that marathon training has improved both my physical and mental strength.

Craftsman
    Great work, training paying off

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Great work, training paying off
    Thanks again for introducing me to Salomon pack. I found that my Asics running backpack was fully compatible with this type of hydration system. A button fastened holder inside the top to suspend the reservoir from, concealed/rain-proof hole to let the tube out, loops in the shoulder strap to hold the tube - all present. Have been using this backpack for well over a year now and had no idea what these were for!

Royal Mail messed up delivery of my Tailwind starter pack so I didn’t get it in time for my marathon (or long after that). It did eventually arrive and I used it for the first time yesterday. Will have to find a flavour that I like but certainly eliminated the need for gel, so yet more time saved.

Got a pleasant surprise today. Ran my first half marathon in two and a half months. Yes, I did longer than 30km runs in preparation of my marathon during that time but not the actual 21.1km distance. Couldn’t believe how much faster I was able to do this without even specifically trying to improve pace over the past few months. Did it in 1:35:39 which was 12 minutes quicker than my previous best!

I am aware there were multiple differentiating factors between the runs: cooler weather, route with less elevation, using a convenient hydration reservoir instead of faffing around with a bottle (thanks to the recommendation earlier in this thread). I still think the biggest reason of all was that marathon training has improved both my physical and mental strength.
    That’s a pretty good time! Well done! 🤘

Master
    Just getting back into running now the gyms here are closed.

I've had a bit of a break from it for a couple of months while the gyms were back open.

I've gone from a 21 min 5k to a 26min

I'm sure it will come back quickly...

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I'm going to start running to get fit firstly and lose weight but then to do longer runs for charity and as a hobby. Hopefully meet some new people. I know Google is my friend here but if anyone has any suggestions to resources/sites outlining how best to crack on I'd appreciate it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'm going to start running to get fit firstly and lose weight but then to do longer runs for charity and as a hobby. Hopefully meet some new people. I know Google is my friend here but if anyone has any suggestions to resources/sites outlining how best to crack on I'd appreciate it.
    Start with Couch to 5k app. There are several out there but use the one from Public Health England as it doesn’t have any annoying ads. At least not at the time I used it. I believe it was from BBC at that time and now Public Health England.

RunnersWorld website has an enormous amount of articles but sometimes I find there is a bit of information overload.

“Keep it simple, 3 runs a week, different distances” was the advice I got from the physio who treated my knee injury and I still religiously follow it.

Oh and DO NOT skip strength training, especially when you increase distance.
    Last edited by FK77; 18th October 2020 at 13:38.

Craftsman
    Thanks again for introducing me to Salomon pack. I found that my Asics running backpack was fully compatible with this type of hydration system. A button fastened holder inside the top to suspend the reservoir from, concealed/rain-proof hole to let the tube out, loops in the shoulder strap to hold the tube - all present. Have been using this backpack for well over a year now and had no idea what these were for!

Royal Mail messed up delivery of my Tailwind starter pack so I didn’t get it in time for my marathon (or long after that). It did eventually arrive and I used it for the first time yesterday. Will have to find a flavour that I like but certainly eliminated the need for gel, so yet more time saved.
    You’re very welcome, glad to hear it helped

I use the unflavoured tailwind - personally a prefer that over the artificial flavours and it’s been working really well for me

Master
    Good advice FK. I also started with C25K a few years ago. It changed my fitness level drastically. Also a good way to get over the mental challenge of running 5k or 30 mins without stopping! I was not in any sort of athletic shape so needed that programme to help me get moving.

Congrats on the great time and improvement on the HM distance. I think I did my first and only HM about an hour slower than you from memory.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Use Strava to track your runs and look for a local club to run with.

Also running on a track is a cool thing to do every couple of weeks and its less taxing on your knees.

If you do run on track go both clockwise and anti clockwise otherwise you will end up with one sore leg

Also Garmins are great and their 'My coach' plans are awesome to keep you motivated when you first start

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I also started with C25K a few years ago. It changed my fitness level drastically. Also a good way to get over the mental challenge of running 5k or 30 mins without stopping! I was not in any sort of athletic shape so needed that programme to help me get moving.
    It’s a very good program. I wasn’t a beginner when I used it so wasn’t keen but physio insisted I follow it as I was returning to running after a 3 month long break due to knee injury. Did make me wonder how good it would have been had I used it when I started running. Great tips and gradual progress to help overcome mental barriers as you say.

Master
    My second attempt at achieving that goal of sub 3:45:00 while I’m still 42 (last chance as I’ll be 43 in a few days) and failed again! Good to be ambitious but I guess that target is just too unrealistic given my current strength levels. Same story as before ... cramping starts somewhere after 30k despite regular and disciplined hydration and keeps worsening until the end, making the last 8-10km painfully slow.

All this effort and I only improved on my first marathon by 12 seconds. TWELVE SECONDS IN NEARLY FOUR HOURS! Oh well, at least I’m consistent ;)

Anyway, technically a PB as I have run 2 now.

Master
    My second attempt at achieving that goal of sub 3:45:00 while I’m still 42 (last chance as I’ll be 43 in a few days) and failed again! Good to be ambitious but I guess that target is just too unrealistic given my current strength levels. Same story as before ... cramping starts somewhere after 30k despite regular and disciplined hydration and keeps worsening until the end, making the last 8-10km painfully slow.
    All this effort and I only improved on my first marathon by 12 seconds. TWELVE SECONDS IN NEARLY FOUR HOURS! Oh well, at least I’m consistent ;)
    Anyway, technically a PB as I have run 2 now
    Well done anyway - I cannot imagine running a marathon on my own (and many years ago I did 17 of them).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Well done anyway - I cannot imagine running a marathon on my own (and many years ago I did 17 of them).
    Thanks. People like you are my inspiration. Gives me confidence that I should have at least a few more years of running left in me and better results are probably yet to come. After all I only started running in 2017 and 'proper' running in 2019 so still a relative beginner.

Master
    Thanks. People like you are my inspiration. Gives me confidence that I should have at least a few more years of running left in me and better results are probably yet to come. After all I only started running in 2017 and 'proper' running in 2019 so still a relative beginner.
    I was still running at your age, and back then doing around 3 hours for a marathon,which was never my distance compared with the 80 minutes for a half. Then had a short sabbatical of 24 years, starting again 4 years ago. I have posted elsewhere in this thread, came back running with 32 minutes for 5k, then slower for my second one, now at 22 minutes. Seem to be always the fastest over 70 year old - mainly cos most of the time I am the only one. Won 3 major duathlons in my age group last month (Windsor, Cowman and Clumber Park). Sadly only in one did I have 4 others to try and beat.

Craftsman
    Hi everyone. I'd like to ask the advice of the TZ Running Community. I've been running more over the last couple of months, running 100km in both September and October.

I was running today and got a throbbing pain in the base of my foot. I stopped because it was too painful and didn't want to damage it further. guess is that it's plantar fascitis. Anyone got advice on the best treatment to alleviate this and get back to running? Your advice would be much appreciated.

I bought new shoes in September so they should still have some life in them..

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    I was running today and got a throbbing pain in the base of my foot. I stopped because it was too painful and didn't want to damage it further. guess is that it's plantar fascitis. Anyone got advice on the best treatment to alleviate this and get back to running? Your advice would be much appreciated.
    Does sound like Plantar Fasciitis from the way you describe it. When I got PF I wasn't a runner. I suspect mine was triggered by walking all day on cobbled streets wearing flat shoes with no proper support, although that could have been just one of the aggravating factors and perhaps I was due to get it anyway. In my case, when it didn't improve for a few weeks I saw a physio who gave me a lot of exercises. It took it's time ...

Craftsman
    Hi everyone. I'd like to ask the advice of the TZ Running Community. I've been running more over the last couple of months, running 100km in both September and October.

I bought new shoes in September so they should still have some life in them..

Thanks in advance.

They were fitted shoes right? Not off the shelf numbers?

I’d assume they were fitted but thought it was worth asking.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    They were fitted shoes right? Not off the shelf numbers?

I’d assume they were fitted but thought it was worth asking.
    Hi Chinese_Alan, they were fitted, but thanks for asking.

Craftsman
    Hi Chinese_Alan, they were fitted, but thanks for asking.

Sounds painful. Hope you’re out running again soon.

Sadly, I think the first rule when getting any kind of running injury is to stop running and stay off it. I've been lucky and avoided PF thus far, but whenever I've had any niggles, I've backed off running for a few days to give things a chance to recover.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Anybody with a Strava subscription want to chime in with an opinion about whether it's worth it?

I run with a Garmin watch, but have been using Endomondo for training and stats, plus a free Strava account to be part of the TZ-UK running club. I quite like the training programmes on Endomondo, or have done for the 2-3 years I've been running. However, Endomondo is being shut down at the end of the year, so I need an alternative. Strava looks like the best bet (I've looked at MapMyRun, but I don't like it), but I wonder what the paid version is like compared to the free. I know there are a few things that were free that I'm used to and missed when they went behind the paywall a short while back, like comparing progress on regular routes, but I'm curious if anyone here has an opinion about the other stuff? (Segments and comparing myself to others I'm not that bothered by.)
    Dave E

Master
    I used Strava for a little while and had the full subscription during the 1 month free trial. Didn’t miss the paid features once the trial was over. I don’t care much about it’s social element and about comparing segments of routes with other people etc. Route suggestions weren’t great either.

Don’t use Strava anymore due to annoying problems but perhaps the issues only occurred because I wasn’t using Strava to record my runs. Instead I was uploading my run data to it. I use a Polar H10 chest strap HR monitor so use Polar Beat app to record all my workouts (runs and strength training). I export my running session files and was uploading them to Strava while I was trying it out. Sometimes it imported my runs as ‘rides’. It also used to flag some of my runs because it thought a vehicle was involved in some part of them ... they weren’t even my fastest runs! Their customer support is pathetic, for example a flagging instance I raised with them months ago is still unresolved. Not wasting any more time on that app but again, quite possible if you use it to record the session rather than upload later these things probably won’t happen. I don’t want to give up Polar as it is more accurate and I like its stats so using Strava to record isn’t an option for me.

I use free version of Runkeeper and upload my Polar data to it without issues. I find Runkeeper a far better app anyway. More flexible than Strava. Another major deficiency I found with Strava was not being able to adjust the map. When I run near tall buildings, the GPS can sometimes go mental. Occasionally when I run in Canary Wharf, the route any app plots is hilarious. Runkeeper allows to correct the run/map on the website but I couldn’t do that on Strava website IIRC.
    Last edited by FK77; 10th November 2020 at 23:16.

Master
    I use Strava and went premium at some point this year. Prior to that it had everything I needed for free. But they made a big change and took away a lot of the free items and moved to premium. Silly things like comparing how far you have run per month, from memory and a couple of other things which although not necessary were nice to have. I am finding some of the features pretty useful, such as relative effort and heart rate zones. I do run similar routes repetitively so being able to analyse my own effort against past efforts is also useful for me. I think this was free before but now premium.

Anyway cost is not too inflated so went for it. No issues for me, I use Garmin and that syncs fine. Had Polar before this which also synced fine. FK sounds like you had a bad experience but just sharing an alternate view.

It could be due to the fact FK’s runs are actually real runs. Long runs! There is a lot of data to sync! Mine are just gentle 5-6k runs at this point.

Craftsman
    I use the free Strava - moved over from Endomondo which I had no “friends” on and I enjoy looking on Strava at what others were up to in the day.

The splits/challenges on strava are quite good too.

Word on watches/strava. My friend has an Apple Watch and it tells him he’s ran 5k and he’ll load it into Strava and it’ll go through as 4.98km. Very annoying.

Master
    I use the paid version of Strava and enjoy the premium features. I tend to run similar routes regularly so comparing sectors and splits has been a good form of self motivation. The training log and effort measurement are good KPIs as they help set goals to aim for. It costs one Starbucks a month and I certainly get more out of it than a bad coffee, so it is worth it imo. Fun to see other friends activities and it gives us something else to talk bollocks about.

Master
    It could be due to the fact FK’s runs are actually real runs. Long runs! There is a lot of data to sync! Mine are just gentle 5-6k runs at this point.
    No mate, not on my long runs. The runs it flagged up most were on the same 10-11k route near office. In includes loops of St. James’s and Green Park so part of it not even on roads.

I do think my bad experience is due to syncing rather than using the app to track though but can’t leave Polar. Strava is hugely popular so can’t be bad. Just doesn’t work for me.

Btw I find a lot of Runkeeper features are free that require subscription on Strava. Like how much I’ve run this week, month, year, lifetime. My records in terms of pace for specific distances, longest distance, total elevation, calorie burn records etc. Best week, month, year for each of those metrics.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Anybody with a Strava subscription want to chime in with an opinion about whether it's worth it?
    Hi Dave, I use the free Strava, and that already gives me far more data than I have any interest in. Plus as you say it allows me to join various clubs (and I don't often then look into them). A couple of friends post details of their runs and rides along with photos, so I can then emulate those. I really do not need anything more than the free version gives us.
    Oh - and some of your runs ought to be done at a slower pace!!
    Andrzej

Oh - and some of your runs ought to be done at a slower pace!!
    Andrzej
    Yeah, I do keep thinking that, actually. I know I need to vary the pace a lot more than I do.
    Dave E

Master
    Yeah, I do keep thinking that, actually. I know I need to vary the pace a lot more than I do.
    I am the same. I don't have much control over my speed and really struggle to slow down and then be able to maintain that pace. All the experts highlight the importance of that but for me at least, it's easier said than done! Perhaps something to learn with experience.

Master
    Look at my splits on this from 5k and on - crossing roads, up down kerbs. On a steady slower run like this I would never bother to look at my watch.

Master
    Apart from running slower - especially on slightly longer ones, mix in a weekly fartlek run if you cannot get to a track, and ideally a hill session.

Apart from running slower - especially on slightly longer ones, mix in a weekly fartlek run if you cannot get to a track, and ideally a hill session.
    I've just had to Google what a fartlek run is, but it sounds fun (I don't have access to a track, sadly). I was doing some interval running once a week, but I've slipped back into just doing runs more recently, doing something to vary it sounds like a plan. I'm out tomorrow morning for a run, I'll make a conscious effort to slow down I think.
    Dave E

Grand Master
    Fartlek running is a great way to improve fitness and make runs more interesting, but self- discipline is needed to make it challenging enough to be beneficial. Run harder for 1-3 minutes, then ease off and jog slowly until you’re ready to go again. Like any form of interval training the recovery time should be based on heart rate falling to the desired level, but with experience it can be judged by feel. Timing the recovery phases is the easiest way to do it.

SydR

TZUK Running Club

Been building up my running in the past couple of weeks; first proper runs since I fractured my pelvis in 3 places following a crash in September 2019.

Was very much disheartened by my early pace but that lifted yesterday when I got back to 23 minutes for a 5k yesterday.

Will continue building up distance and see where this go. Still another couple of marathons I want to complete.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Was very much disheartened by my early pace but that lifted yesterday when I got back to 23 minutes for a 5k yesterday.
    23 mins is excellent! It took me a very long time to get to that sort of pace.

Ran a 1:37:36 HM yesterday - my 2nd fastest. Did 4 loops of my 5.3km route. The best part was that after doing half of loop 4, I was feeling good enough to get confused whether it was loop 3 or 4. Had to look at the time to confirm.

SydR
    23 mins is excellent! It took me a very long time to get to that sort of pace.

Ran a 1:37:36 HM yesterday - my 2nd fastest. Did 4 loops of my 5.3km route. The best part was that after doing half of loop 4, I was feeling good enough to get confused whether it was loop 3 or 4. Had to look at the time to confirm.
    Good time!

I got into running late, (aged 48) so only being doing so for just over three years. My marathon PB is 1:38:38 set at Glasgow Half Marathon in 2018. Did Stirling Marathon that same year, my first ever, and was determined to get under 4 hours. Finished in 3:45:35.

Craftsman
    I'm running pretty regularly and looking to build my mileage up slowly. Request to join the Strava club has been sent!

Cheers
    Rory

Journeyman
    Hi all

So, ive never ran/jogged outdoors ever and want to start C25k to lose some weight (as well as diet), ive downloaded the app (Zen Labs), and waiting on some running trainers to arrive

Anyone got any advice for me? total noobie here.

Would of been nice to start this in the summer so Winter doesn't feel that bad!

Thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    Hi all

So, ive never ran/jogged outdoors ever and want to start C25k to lose some weight (as well as diet), ive downloaded the app (Zen Labs), and waiting on some running trainers to arrive

Anyone got any advice for me? total noobie here.

Would of been nice to start this in the summer so Winter doesn't feel that bad!

Thanks
    I started C25K 4 weeks ago after not running for years. It’s a great programme but take it easy as you go for the first few weeks. I ended up repeating week 2 as was struggling with ankle and knee discomfort as not used to running on tarmac.

Master
    How was your November? Keeping my sanity through running despite the cold. Managed a bit less mileage than October but will try to do another 200 in December weather permitting.

Master
    How was your November? Keeping my sanity through running despite the cold. Managed a bit less mileage than October but will try to do another 200 in December weather permitting.
    Just slow steady running for me nursing my latest hamstring injury. Did 240km slow running, plus cycling. Given I have already had 4 months with very low mileage, I am amazed to see that I am over 2000 km for the year.

In regard to the cycling, I have done more miles on the bike this year than my car and my wife's car have done put together. My wife is only on her second tank of petrol this year! Normally I have 130 mile round trip two or three times a month to mothers care home, but this year very few of those; nor any trips to triathlons/duathlons other than a couple in October (Emberton Park and Clumber Park) .

Master
    Only 172km for me in November despite running a marathon earlier in the month. Went running at 5am last Friday and it was -2 °C. Will be the same time this Friday. Don't have much choice as I have to work around my new running partner who can only do this time. Good thing is I now finally have someone slower to run with once a week to learn to pace myself down.

Craftsman
    I managed 100 km in November. That's been my target for September and October too.

Master
    So happy!!!

Master
    Congrats FK. Amazing news. Great event to look forward to. Look forward to hearing how your training progresses.

On my amateur front, I am hoping to achieve 1 million metres of running in 2021. Think I will hit just over 600km this year. Minor compared to some on this thread, but more than I have done previously.

Any other ‘amateurs’ care to join me on the ‘challenge’ to reach 1 million metres AKA 1000km in 2021?

Master
    Congrats FK. Amazing news. Great event to look forward to. Look forward to hearing how your training progresses.
    Thanks mate. Already got a charity place (rolled from 2020) but before today I’ve never won anything that involves luck so I’m chuffed. Will still do my fundraising but without the added pressure of hitting the target.