timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Chaps

Just a bit of advice please.

I am going on holiday and will run (Fenix connected to the Garmin App) but I do not want the runs showing in Strava for obvious reasons. It seems easy enough to disconnect Strava in the Garmin Q app, but when I reconnect will it load the runs up, I don’t want to lose the runs on my Strava total.

Ta
    Pitch
    Paul…. Set the place your staying at as your home and then create an exclusion zone

Also…. What’s wrong with showing your run abroad?

Craftsman
    Chaps

I am going on holiday and will run (Fenix connected to the Garmin App) but I do not want the runs showing in Strava for obvious reasons. It seems easy enough to disconnect Strava in the Garmin Q app, but when I reconnect will it load the runs up, I don’t want to lose the runs on my Strava total.

Ta
    Pitch
    Save the runs as ‘private’ in your Strava?

Haven't commented on this thread before - and good luck to anyone racing today; it's a bit chilly out - our local half marathon is on as I type and I don't envy them.

I've got no races planned for a while - probably will do a 60miler later this year on if circumstances allow; currently just ticking over after taking a rest from last year's 100miler.

Half/full road marathon is something I'd like to have a crack at one year but all that on-road doesn't agree with me and I'm a miserable sod that doesn't enjoy running in crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    exactly this - it will still show up on your personal stats but no-one else can see where you are or have been.

To be honest though I would give extra kudos if I could for a good bit of Strava map gloating

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Haven't commented on this thread before - and good luck to anyone racing today; it's a bit chilly out - our local half marathon is on as I type and I don't envy them.

I've got no races planned for a while - probably will do a 60miler later this year on if circumstances allow; currently just ticking over after taking a rest from last year's 100miler.

Half/full road marathon is something I'd like to have a crack at one year but all that on-road doesn't agree with me and I'm a miserable sod that doesn't enjoy running in crowds
    100 miler??? Is that a typo???

Sadly not as far as my family is concerned - I like ultramarathons; did the Lakeland 100 last year; done the 50miler a few times before that. I'm lucky to live on the doorstep of a National Park and the trails are my "headspace"

Chaps

Ta
    Pitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    exactly this - it will still show up on your personal stats but no-one else can see where you are or have been.

To be honest though I would give extra kudos if I could for a good bit of Strava map gloating
    Set default to 'Private' before you go, log runs as normal - nobody but you can see them.
    When you get home change your default back to either Everyone or Followers (whichever you are happy with).
    Then go into any of the runs you're proud of and change them individually for a bit of retrospective gloating.

Blog Entries
    Sadly not as far as my family is concerned - I like ultramarathons; did the Lakeland 100 last year; done the 50miler a few times before that. I'm lucky to live on the doorstep of a National Park and the trails are my "headspace"
    Wow…. You are a supreme being…. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Wow…. You are a supreme being…. Amazing!
    That's very kind but not really true - as it turns out I am pretty decent over those distances but quite average at shorter stuff.

The great secret about ultramarathons is that you don't need to be physically gifted. I found I need stubbornness, a cast iron stomach, the ability to manage multiple different issues, eat, navigate, chat, eat, stop chafing and more eating. Yes you need to be in good condition, but foot speed is secondary (unless you're Killian) and all of those other things are so so important. I've had races undone by insufficient salt, lack of spare laces, blown head torch bulbs etc. etc.

To be honest I haven't previously commented because I know my distances are abnormal and I worry about how that might come across, but the thought of a road half marathon genuinely makes me anxious. I've only ever done one road 10k and I was more nervous about that than anything else. And I hated every second of it so I applaud everyone that has done or is doing one!
    Last edited by Megatron; 14th April 2019 at 11:48.

Blog Entries
    That's very kind but not really true - as it turns out I am pretty decent over those distances but quite average at shorter stuff.

The great secret about ultramarathons is that you don't need to be physically gifted. You/I need stubbornness, a cast iron stomach, the ability to manage multiple different issues, eat, navigate, chat, eat, stop chafing and more eating. Yes you need to be in good condition, but foot speed is secondary (unless you're Killian) and all of those other things are so so important. I've had races undone by insufficient salt, lack of spare laces, blown head torch bulbs etc. etc.

To be honest I haven't previously commented because I know my distances are abnormal and I worry about how that might come across, but the thought of a road half marathon genuinely makes me anxious. I've only ever done one road 10k and I was more nervous about that than anything else. And I hated every second of it so I applaud everyone that has done or is doing one!
    I am genuinely in awe….

I am glad you shared! Interesting to see how you describe it…. Doing those kind of distances takes a lot of consideration and the simple process of placing one foot in front of another is the secondary aspect…

I love running but similarly go solo if only for an hour or so and it clears your mind…. A lovely therapeutic process

I will do a half at some stage and will suck up the applause as I’m a huge tart! But, i’ll enjoy the solitude of my next run just as much!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I am genuinely in awe….

I am glad you shared! Interesting to see how you describe it…. Doing those kind of distances takes a lot of consideration and the simple process of placing one foot in front of another is the secondary aspect…

I love running but similarly go solo if only for an hour or so and it clears your mind…. A lovely therapeutic process

I will do a half at some stage and will suck up the applause as I’m a huge tart! But, i’ll enjoy the solitude of my next run just as much!
    Totally agree - I find I'm mentally refreshed after any run, and whilst not physically so noncing around the hills with nothing but podcasts, birds and scenery for company is relaxing in a way I can't really convey. Even in awful weather

Craftsman

For goodness sake don’t be embarrassed about that - that’s amazing. You should be rightly proud and feel able to share.

If you’re worried people who ‘only’ do 10km, or 1/2Ms or marathons will think you weird, then don’t. I think most of us can’t even begin to imagine doing those sorts of races and would love to hear about what it takes to train for them. I’ve done 3 ultras so far, but they were short ultras :) - one was 36 miles (Two Oceans) and two of 56 miles (Comrades - one up and one down) and the thought of doing almost double those is just mind boggling. So you have my utmost respect. I do have a trail ultra coming up in August (Lakeland 60) and am looking forward to that. Training begins now - I’m a week post Manchester Marathon.

I do prefer doing a fast (fast for me - I’m not that fast compared to a lot out there) 10km or 1/2M, as I like the sensation of speed. But there is definitely the thrill of managing to haul yourself around 56 or 90km that is enticing too - hence entering Lakeland 60km.

I’m going to have to do a lot of reading about how to best train for this, but am really looking forward to the challenge. At the same time I don’t want to lose whatever speed I have, so a couple of sessions a week will be fast pace. 21 weeks to go - and I get a tingle of excitement when I think about it.

Anyway I hope you post more. I enjoy hearing about the experiences of others - from people just starting their C25k journey, to preparing for ultras etc. We’re all runners - different types maybe (some road or trail etc) - and there’s always someone faster or slower than you. So I think it’s about testing yourself against yourself and just enjoying it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpydieNut View Post
    For goodness sake don’t be embarrassed about that - that’s amazing. .
    I’d be telling anyone with a pair of lugs if I’d done 100 miles Davidl!!!

What an achievement!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 16th April 2019 at 09:41.

Blog Entries
    Cheers guys for the info on sorting Strava and Garmin.

Some serious running there and boy, I genuinely respect your achievements MT and any runner would not take you the wrong way. Flippin well done fella, massive respect

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by SpydieNut View Post
    For goodness sake don’t be embarrassed about that - that’s amazing. You should be rightly proud and feel able to share.

If you’re worried people who ‘only’ do 10km, or 1/2Ms or marathons will think you weird, then don’t. I think most of us can’t even begin to imagine doing those sorts of races and would love to hear about what it takes to train for them. I’ve done 3 ultras so far, but they were short ultras :) - one was 36 miles (Two Oceans) and two of 56 miles (Comrades - one up and one down) and the thought of doing almost double those is just mind boggling. So you have my utmost respect. I do have a trail ultra coming up in August (Lakeland 60) and am looking forward to that. Training begins now - I’m a week post Manchester Marathon.

I do prefer doing a fast (fast for me - I’m not that fast compared to a lot out there) 10km or 1/2M, as I like the sensation of speed. But there is definitely the thrill of managing to haul yourself around 56 or 90km that is enticing too - hence entering Lakeland 60km.

I’m going to have to do a lot of reading about how to best train for this, but am really looking forward to the challenge. At the same time I don’t want to lose whatever speed I have, so a couple of sessions a week will be fast pace. 21 weeks to go - and I get a tingle of excitement when I think about it.

Anyway I hope you post more. I enjoy hearing about the experiences of others - from people just starting their C25k journey, to preparing for ultras etc. We’re all runners - different types maybe (some road or trail etc) - and there’s always someone faster or slower than you. So I think it’s about testing yourself against yourself and just enjoying it.
    Ok - appreciate that. The Lakeland race (is it this one - http://www.greatlakeland3day.com/det...layEventFormat) looks like a good event; and probably quite similar terrain to the Lakeland 50/100.

These are some things I have learned from all the ultras I've done and doing 100 miles...

A lot of ascent and descent and personally I found leg and core strength makes a massive difference in terms of speed up and down; but also helps me soak up all the eccentric loading from technical-ish downhills. The descents are where my legs get trashed so I do 2 sessions of gym work per week (squats, deadlifts and lunges) and this helps me massively. Like you though I do a speed session of around 10k once a week to try and maintain leg speed. Without it I do feel like I'm more ploddy. My longest "long run" is about 35miles as I find any more becomes too destructive as a training exercise.....but time on my feet is what conditions me to the inevitable hammering.

Power walking will at some point be faster and more sustainable for me than running up the climbs and tactically this is where I do most of my eating - a zip-lock freezer bag helps me be quick in and out of the feed stations; it's all gets a bit grim and mixed up but on the plus side you do find combos that work. Haribo and salty boiled potatoes; who knew! Easy to lose huge amounts of time faffing at the stops. Poles are controversial (really commonplace on European hilly ultras) but I love them.

Inevitably you'll have to carry a decent amount of mandatory kit - on the LL100 last year I was hit by a gale (in July) and ended up wearing full waterproofs, spare baselayer, woolly hat and gloves climbing up Gatesgarth. After 70ish miles I just don't move fast enough to generate enough heat and the Lakes can be naughty even in summer.

I would say that 100miles didn't feel that different from 50 until I got to about mile 60; then I just became so drained that everything felt hard. I never felt like my legs weren't strong and my speed was fine, but the mental effort and sleep deprivation (we started at 1800 so had at least one night without sleep) meant I was tired unlike anything else I've ever experienced. I can't quantify how much harder it is, but it became exponentially harder the further I went.

On the run in to the finish I didn't even have the energy to talk to my (new) friend that I had run the last 80 miles with and it took me 3 months to feel vaguely normal again. I tried a 5k 2 weeks later on holiday and it almost killed me.

My feet were trashed; though my shoes had never given me problems before at 65 miles I got trenchfoot and the last 40 miles felt like it was running on broken glass. But then something else hurt and that was almost a relief. But navigating all of those issues and still coming in the top 40 is on reflection something I'm really proud of. But that nagging voice always says "but if your feet were ok you could have gone faster..." so I'm going back for another crack next year.

That and the Lakeland 50/100 is an absolutely cracking weekend and I love the whole thing. Even though it's really really hard.

Anyway if you want to waste a few minutes of your life here is a vid of what I did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEdq...2k3zGdQt5YDhzE

Sorry for all that, but I'm always happy to chat about all this stuff; it's also my hobby and I love it. And a Garmin is a watch too innit!
    Last edited by Megatron; 5th June 2019 at 13:33.

Craftsman
    Wow - and thanks MT. that’s a huge help and to get an idea of what I’m heading towards. My mistake though in the name of the event I’ve entered - it’s the Ambleside trail 60km.

I think the next 21 weeks are going to be busy - it sounds a lot of time, but I know those weeks go past very fast indeed.

Again - huge respect for the runs you’ve done. They sound awesome - hard as nails and then some, and what an achievement to even finish something like that. Not surprised it takes weeks (and maybe moneths) to get over them fully.

Thanks - had a look at the Ambleside 60
    route; that's a really nice looking course, particularly round the Langdale Valley and there are some cheeky climbs in there but I'd be keen to hear what you think of it as it sounds like one to add to the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks - had a look at the Ambleside 60
    route; that's a really nice looking course, particularly round the Langdale Valley and there are some cheeky climbs in there but I'd be keen to hear what you think of it as it sounds like one to add to the list

I’ll definitely report back afterwards :)

Craftsman

My first running injury, Iliotibial Band Syndrome?

Hi, I wonder if anyone has had experience with resolving Iliotibial Band Syndrome? I think I have it!

A bit of background, I am 41 and started my running career very late starting with the couch to 5k programme about 6 months ago. I am relatively fit, and 5'10 / 76kg, so no excess weight issues on my knees. I have had gait analysis and overpronate so picked up some Ultraboost ST; these have been great shoes.

About 4 months ago I was doing 5k twice a week, I upped this to a 10k (Mondays with a group) and a 5k (midweek solo); I struggled to maintain the 5k so now just run 10k on a monday... I can still do it with reasonable ease but feel without the second run my improvements have plateaued.

For the last 2 weeks I have experienced a twisting sensation in my knee, almost being able to picture a diagonal line of discomfort through the structure of my right knee...this knocks onto my hip, most likely due to me trying to correct whilst I run... having looked a run specific issues I think it matches Iliotibial Band Syndrome (https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/heal...w-to-fix-them/) Strangely I think the first event was agrivated by walking some distance prior to running in very hard soled formal shoes.

Any experiences or advice?

Master
    I had ITB issues when I first started running. It’s generally caused by a lazy running action as you get tired as you build up.

The good news is it is preventable in most cases. There are a few good YouTube videos on ITB stretches. Also a friend (premiership 1st team physio) had be doing side planks which worked a treat.

Also on the longer runs concentrate on not wobbling left to right when tired.

I am running an ultra marathon Saturday and previously had ITB issues at 10k when I started.

Master
    Having just re-read your symptoms ITB is very much outside of the knee. If it’s diagonally through the knee might be something else.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I had ITB issues when I first started running. It’s generally caused by a lazy running action as you get tired as you build up.

The good news is it is preventable in most cases. There are a few good YouTube videos on ITB stretches. Also a friend (premiership 1st team physio) had be doing side planks which worked a treat.

Also on the longer runs concentrate on not wobbling left to right when tired.

I am running an ultra marathon Saturday and previously had ITB issues at 10k when I started.
    Having just re-read your symptoms ITB is very much outside of the knee. If it’s diagonally through the knee might be something else.
    Hi, thanks, its now 24 hours after my run and I am still in mild discomfort, there is definitely pressure sensitivity on the outside of the leg on the upper part of the joint.

BAsed on your experience, if it is ITB it is pleasing to hear that if managed it is part of the journey rather than end of the road!

Elsewhere I have been recommended a general knee health routine, which I will try to adopt https://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/...demonstration/

Master
    Nearly three years injury free, then hamstring problem Tuesday. Tried parkrun today, but after 1 of the three laps had to pull out. Worrying as off to Turkey on Saturday next week, and entered for the Bodrum 10k!! Ah well, have until the end of June to get fit and ready for the European Duathlons in Rumania.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Nearly three years injury free, then hamstring problem Tuesday. Tried parkrun today, but after 1 of the three laps had to pull out. Worrying as off to Turkey on Saturday next week, and entered for the Bodrum 10k!! Ah well, have until the end of June to get fit and ready for the European Duathlons in Rumania.
    Argh - sorry to hear that Andrzej. I hope it settles down quickly.

Blog Entries
    Legs have been playing up and Mrs P informed me my runners were new July ‘15.

Went out yesterday to buy a pair of Ultra Boost ‘19’s but ended up with On’s new Cloudswift.

First outing today and shaved 23 seconds off my Parkrun PB and importantly wow what a ride and fresh as heck afterwards.

Well worth a look for a lightweight tarmac shoe.

Pitch

what is rebuilt title car mean

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Ouch, fingers crossed for a quick recovery!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Ouch, fingers crossed for a quick recovery!
    Thanks Dave - it isn't the end of the world, and should be sorted out soon. Shame, as I was starting to go well this year with quite a few PBs at different Parkruns, and rather more importantly really enjoying the running.

Grand Master
    I never had hamstring trouble whilst running seriously in my teens/20s, and that included lots of quality speedwork combined withpkenty of mileage. I had trouble whilst running much slower in later life, possibly due to poor flexibility and weakness.

Gym work to strengthen the hamstrings, plus lots of stretching, should help. Give it chance to recover, then work on leg strength. Best place to do this is in the gym, a coule of sessions/ week will work wonders.

Unfortunately I learned this lesson too late in life!

Master
    Cape Town ultra marathon done. Killer hills meant I only made my pledge time of under 6 hours as opposed to the target of 5.5.

Feeling better than expected today!

Cape Town ultra marathon done. Killer hills meant I only made my pledge time of under 6 hours as opposed to the target of 5.5.

Well done, climbs will definitely take time away from you like nothing else - what was the weather like?

Blog Entries

Blimey…. Sounds brutal…. Good work!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    Hi, thanks, its now 24 hours after my run and I am still in mild discomfort, there is definitely pressure sensitivity on the outside of the leg on the upper part of the joint.

BAsed on your experience, if it is ITB it is pleasing to hear that if managed it is part of the journey rather than end of the road!

Elsewhere I have been recommended a general knee health routine, which I will try to adopt https://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/...demonstration/
    If it is ITB then my physio basically got me focused on hip strength and mobility as that’s a major contributor

As others have said lots of good videos on YouTube - generally side planks, lunges focusing on opening up hips, goblet squats and so on are good

Alongside this the one major thing that helped me get rid of it - rest

It was so tough as I felt my fitness slip away but every time I tried pain was there until I took 3 weeks off completely

I then built it up slowly at a slow pace - 5k twice, 7k twice, then 9k then 15k and had no pain in any of those

Then I did some tempos - all OK. Then the big test - hill efforts and finally it felt fine

As others have said mine was caused by fatigue and poor form - I ran a lot over Christmas and new year and looking back it was too much despite feeling OK at the time

Master
    Well done, climbs will definitely take time away from you like nothing else - what was the weather like?
    It was about 20c. I’d done most of my training in the UK this Winter so was delighted when it pissed it down about an hour in! Once it dried out it was a little bit warm for my liking but not oppressive.

Blog Entries

TZUK Running Club

Just cracked 25min 5k for a new PB.

24:42 for 5k is nothing on the scale of some of the runners here - but as a relative newbie I’m quite (a lot) pleased with that.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 25th April 2019 at 18:49.

Congrats - you can't do better than a PB and I don't doubt those times will keep coming down!

So I've been on a weight loss crusade and am down to 109 kilos from 134 kilos in Jan. Still another 12 or so to lose. Booked myself onto the Chiang Mai half marathon in December. Never done more than a 5k before so would like advice on what training to do. It will be pretty hot and mountainous as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    So I've been on a weight loss crusade and am down to 109 kilos from 134 kilos in Jan. Still another 12 or so to lose. Booked myself onto the Chiang Mai half marathon in December. Never done more than a 5k before so would like advice on what training to do. It will be pretty hot and mountainous as well.

Can't give any advice but good luck Ryan. Sounds like an amazing challenge

- - - Updated - - -

Can't give any advice but good luck Ryan. Sounds like an amazing challenge

That's impressive weight loss Ryan! There are quite a few good apps out there to build up to that distance; and most running magazines have plans for doing just that too. My only advice would be to slowly increase your distance; you will have to condition your body to getting used to the load going through it so aches and pains are inevitable along the way. I like Strava (you can adjust the privacy settings so only you can see your activities) and find it useful to track my progress and speed and the segments also give me a little motivation to push and compete against myself.

Core strength training also helps me massively (squats, deadlifts, lunges) and if it's hilly then this will give you strength and power on the way up and help absorb the load on the way down. Hill reps are also worth incorporating into your training if possible.

Good luck with it and keep us posted - I'd love to hear how you get on training for it!

Legs have been playing up and Mrs P informed me my runners were new July ‘15.

Went out yesterday to buy a pair of Ultra Boost ‘19’s but ended up with On’s new Cloudswift.

First outing today and shaved 23 seconds off my Parkrun PB and importantly wow what a ride and fresh as heck afterwards.

Well worth a look for a lightweight tarmac shoe.

Pitch

what is rebuilt title car mean
    That’ll be the magic of HeliOn at work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Just cracked 25min 5k for a new PB.

24:42 for 5k is nothing on the scale of some of the runners here - but as a relative newbie I’m quite (a lot) pleased with that.

z
    Congrats buddy.

I did the same at Lowestoft Parkrun last Saturday, now to chase sub 24.

Been an excellent journey so far this year.

Cheers again for the TZRC

Pitch

Managed to get my first sub-30min 5k this morning!

My greatest running achievement so far since starting C25K last May..Not bad for a fat lad from St. Helens!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    Managed to get my first sub-30min 5k this morning!

My greatest running achievement so far since starting C25K last May..Not bad for a fat lad from St. Helens!!
    Nice work. The C25k is one of the best things I’ve done for my fitness - really great program that gradually ups the target but in an achievable way.

And I find It’s important (& very satisfying) setting & hitting these follow on milestones. Initially, I upped the distance, but latterly I’ve been upping the pace.

Not sure which is better - but it was just a target to aim for in both cases.

z

First run today after an injury at the beginning of April. 28:42 5K which I’m happy with given the time off and the fact I’m not 100% fit.

Master
    Local 10k in 47:41 today. Pleased with that as I haven’t trained for shorter distances.

Had a mad 4 days in Benidorm,ran 6.5k this afternoon,the most I’ve ever ran ,my first triathlon (half) is only 3 weeks away,it’s gonna be tough

Master
    Hamstring strain (without running for 3 weeks) turned into a tear when I tried to do a short easy run. Starting to worry now as only 6 weeks to European Championships. At least I can still do easy cycling.

Master
    Ok - appreciate that. The Lakeland race (is it this one - http://www.greatlakeland3day.com/det...layEventFormat) looks like a good event; and probably quite similar terrain to the Lakeland 50/100.
    I haven't checked in on this thread for a little while but just catching up and noticed the GL3D was name-checked. Did anyone else on here take part? Waterproofs never came out of the pack the whole 3 days - chilly, but incredibly clear:

Half marathon in Perth (WA) tomorrow. Had some peroneal tendinitis recently so hope it will hold up.
    Predicted to be about 5 deg at the start (yeah, it gets cold in Aus!).

Master
    Like a few here I’ve succumbed to injury a month or so back . The dreaded hamstring ! Ran on for a a few sessions before it became clear it wasn’t getting very unhappy .
    I took a month or so out and am gradually getting back in doing some gentle park runs and slower 8 milers .
    Form has dropped off and it’s still not 100% but seems to be improving . It appears that it’s a notoriously slow healer due to poor blood flow . I’m stretching and foam rollering so hopefully it’ll continue to improve :)

Journeyman
    Good parkrun this morning. Reckon I knocked 20 odd seconds from my pb. New shoes helped they're great.