Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
That's very kind but not really true - as it turns out I am pretty decent over those distances but quite average at shorter stuff.

The great secret about ultramarathons is that you don't need to be physically gifted. You/I need stubbornness, a cast iron stomach, the ability to manage multiple different issues, eat, navigate, chat, eat, stop chafing and more eating. Yes you need to be in good condition, but foot speed is secondary (unless you're Killian) and all of those other things are so so important. I've had races undone by insufficient salt, lack of spare laces, blown head torch bulbs etc. etc.

To be honest I haven't previously commented because I know my distances are abnormal and I worry about how that might come across, but the thought of a road half marathon genuinely makes me anxious. I've only ever done one road 10k and I was more nervous about that than anything else. And I hated every second of it so I applaud everyone that has done or is doing one!
I am genuinely in awe….

I am glad you shared! Interesting to see how you describe it…. Doing those kind of distances takes a lot of consideration and the simple process of placing one foot in front of another is the secondary aspect…

I love running but similarly go solo if only for an hour or so and it clears your mind…. A lovely therapeutic process

I will do a half at some stage and will suck up the applause as I’m a huge tart! But, i’ll enjoy the solitude of my next run just as much!