closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1567

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Craftsman
    mk2driver 19.06 Mar 2020

Getting back into running consistently after 3 years of not having motivation

Now 3 stone heavier and much slower but enjoying being back at it and still have some speed in the legs during interval sessions

Coventry half marathon in a couple of weeks as my first race back - looking forward to not caring about the time and just enjoying the run

I’m in the mood to chase distance now rather than speed - I want to get into ultras. Chased speed last time and tbh it made running less enjoyable even when I hit my 1.30 half target and the above 5k time

Not been running much at all for the last couple of years, but reading this thread is tempting me back...

5K: 20.26 Jul 2020
    HM: 1.42.44 Oct 2021
    Last edited by gunner; 10th April 2024 at 12:12.

Master
    5k PB is 24:14 - never been once for speed, more built for endurance.

That was 7 years ago, currently doing about 27:30, although not really trying for PBs at this stage, but not sure I'll ever beat it due to advancing years 😂

Craftsman
    Parkrun/5km PB’s

mk2driver 19:06 Mar 2020
    Gunner 20:26 Jul 2020
    Pitch 21:48 Jul 2023
    S1wnw 23:22 Dec 2023
    Space Traveller 23:41
    SimonH 24:14
    M3NTALIST 24:58 Nov 2023

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    5k best for me 19.46 sometime during lock down

Master
    demonloop 19.46 during lockdown
    Boss13 26.25 Aug 2019

Last position lol...what is even worse is that I am at around 29-31 mins these days. I'm fairly obese though! NEED TO GET BACK ON IT !!!!
    Last edited by Boss13; 10th April 2024 at 19:39. Reason: edited to add demonloop

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Last position lol...what is even worse is that I am at around 29-31 mins these days. I'm fairly obese though! NEED TO GET BACK ON IT !!!!
    Don’t be so hard on yourself pal, I’m sure you, me, mk2driver and everyone Inbetween are doing there absolute best, all with there different abilities and circumstances. I’m just glad not to be at the bottom any more lol.

Craftsman

Think I just came last. My PB is 27.01...

Currently park running at around 30min.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Parkrun PB is 26.25 (August 2021), 5k PB according to my watch is 25.37 in September 2020. I'd hoped to push to get my time under 25 minutes, but I'm up at about 28-30 minutes these days. Aiming to get it back down at the moment, though.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Blog Entries
    You lot are funny.

Regardless of the time 3 miles is a bloody long way to run, just remember that. Every one of us can better our PB’s with dedication planning and most importantly time, something which many of us do not have and that’s not making excuses.

Most importantly though……….ENJOY IT

Pitch

Master
    100% agree, the percentage of the population able to run a 5k is surprisingly small, never mind a 10k or half / full marathon

(BTW anyone in the market for a fast shoe check the Hoka Cielo, very impressed so far)

Master
    Looks like I am designated record updater!

Dave E 25.37 Sep 2020
    Boss13 26.25 Aug 2019
    Bonny Marco 27.01

The PB time for me is not that important. trying to reduce it is something to work on, but I'm not beating myself up about it even slightly. I get a lot from running in terms of headspace and wellbeing, and that's a lot more important to me. I'm 52 and only took up running when I was 46, so I'm never going to be particularly quick, that's not important to me. My aim is to enjoy running, which I do. I'd like to improve my performance (relative to myself), but it's not going to stop me enjoying it if I don't. I like 5 and 10k as distances, I've done a half a couple of times, and I'll probably do one again (I'm pretty sure I can go a bit faster than the ones I've done, I didn't quite get the training right for either due to poorly timed colds). Full marathons don't appeal to me at all.
    Dave E

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    The PB time for me is not that important. trying to reduce it is something to work on, but I'm not beating myself up about it even slightly. I get a lot from running in terms of headspace and wellbeing, and that's a lot more important to me. I'm 52 and only took up running when I was 46, so I'm never going to be particularly quick, that's not important to me. My aim is to enjoy running, which I do. I'd like to improve my performance (relative to myself), but it's not going to stop me enjoying it if I don't. I like 5 and 10k as distances, I've done a half a couple of times, and I'll probably do one again (I'm pretty sure I can go a bit faster than the ones I've done, I didn't quite get the training right for either due to poorly timed colds). Full marathons don't appeal to me at all.
    Same age as me, Dave. I too prefer 5 and 10K, although I loved the half marathon we did at the weekend. I've got my name down for New York this November just to be able to say I did it, but I don't think I'll do another one after that. I also love the mental health benefits of running, the one time I get to be alone with my thoughts. I do quite enjoy working on my 5K PB though, as I find it helps having something to aim for. I've got a plan now to try to get down down to around 22 minutes over the next 8 weeks, so will see how that goes.

Don't worry... here I come...

5km pb was something like 22:20 but that was in a previous life (25 years ago and 25kg lighter). Parkrun PB 30:23 (Feb 2017) although I'm typically around the 35 minute mark these days.
    (although I seem to 'accidentally' run quicker every now and again - nothing to do with training, how I feel on the day etc - I just run faster. Last one was 32:33 in Feb with the weeks before and after (one flatter courses) being 35:33 and 35:00)

Dave E 25.37 Sep 2020
    Boss13 26.25 Aug 2019
    Bonny Marco 27.01
    MakeColdplayHistory 30:23 Feb 2017

Craftsman
    100% agree on the enjoyment and it’s the main motivator for me to get more into trails and ultras as I’m always happy on hilly trails!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    100% agree, the percentage of the population able to run a 5k is surprisingly small, never mind a 10k or half / full marathon

(BTW anyone in the market for a fast shoe check the Hoka Cielo, very impressed so far)
    Keep thinking about a pair of Cielo, what have they replaced as a comparison buddy.

Pitch

Master
    I’ve been in the Endorphin Elites for a good while, and I do love them (they’re quite aggressive, which I like), but curiosity got the better of me!

I’ve had various Hokas in the past and never liked them. The Cielo are really good though, I’d say they’re more like the Endorphin Pro but not just as soft — but softer than the Endorphin Elites

Blog Entries
    That’s interesting, thank you.

I have had the Nike super shoes over the years but the quality just bombed. I’m currently using and have been for sometime

HM Race - Adidas Adizero Adios Pro 3
    5k / 10k Race - Adidas Adizero Takumi Sen 9
    Every day/long run/recovery - NB Fuel Cell Elite V2 & V3’s.
    Interval/tempo - Adidas Adizero Adios Pro 2 & 3’s

Adidas just work for me and they last but keep thinking I should try something else. The Fuel Cells are just nice and comfy but no where near a pacey shoe for me.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    That’s interesting, thank you.

I have had the Nike super shoes over the years but the quality just bombed. I’m currently using and have been for sometime

HM Race - Adidas Adizero Adios Pro 3
    5k / 10k Race - Adidas Adizero Takumi Sen 9
    Every day/long run/recovery - NB Fuel Cell Elite V2 & V3’s.
    Interval/tempo - Adidas Adizero Adios Pro 2 & 3’s

Adidas just work for me and they last but keep thinking I should try something else. The Fuel Cells are just nice and comfy but no where near a pacey shoe for me.

Pitch
    The Fuelcell Elite v4 might be worth trying too, vast improvement on v2/3 IMO, but I got them a few weeks before the Cielo's so they didn't get a fair chance if I'm honest

Agree completely on the quality of the Nikes, but there's no getting around the fact they are very fast -- I had blister issues on the AF1 and AF2, but the AF3 is looking like a winner (I've only had 2 runs in them, but no blisters so far)

I started running after a long career in target rifle shooting, so the cost of multiple pairs of trainers isn't even on the radar compared to that (man maths I know!)

New 5K parkrun PB today, 23:27.

My shoes are:

Brooks Glycerin GTS 21 - super bouncy, super soft and supportive everyday runner, use it for easy and recovery runs. The running equivalent of your favourite sofa, lovely.
    Saucony Endorphin Elite - 5K/10K race. Carbon plate but still nice and comfy, quick with a decent wide toe box. Love these, you can really feel the propulsion in them.
    Adidas Adizero Adios Pro 3. Hmmm, struggling to get on with these. Super speedy but also THE most uncomfortable trainers out of the box I've ever had. Upper rubs on the toes, and the stupid heel thing gave me a massive blister. Intervals/tempo, I'm sure they'll be better when they're properly broken in.
    Saucony Kinvara Pro - a bit of everything, mostly use them for long runs when I want to keep to a certain tempo.

Want but can't find anywhere - new Asics Metaspeed Edge Paris.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    New 5K parkrun PB today, 23:27.
    Top bombing fella well done 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Blog Entries
    Weather is lovely over here and great to be out in the warm. 6 miles in the sun with wifey that’s 33 miles this week, slowly getting back on it.

Pitch

Blimey that's getting some miles in the legs.

Leicester Big 10K today, which is just down the road so me and my daughter entered it. Lovely weather, a bit sunny but not too warm. New 10K PB of 54:58, but it's only the second official one I've done so it wasn't a high bar to get over.

All around the rather lovely Abbey Park, which to my shame I didn't even know was there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Blimey that's getting some miles in the legs.

Leicester Big 10K today, which is just down the road so me and my daughter entered it. Lovely weather, a bit sunny but not too warm. New 10K PB of 54:58, but it's only the second official one I've done so it wasn't a high bar to get over.

All around the rather lovely Abbey Park, which to my shame I didn't even know was there.
    Cracking run again and well done. You must be chuffed how it’s coming together and good to hear your daughter made it out as well.

Well done bud.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Manchester marathon yesterday. Physically it was pretty easy for me It's my 4th and I had trained well. However, the slow pace was according to my daughter's dodgy ITB affected knee and she was in quite a bit of pain from only 5 miles in. Emotionally it was challenging to support her throughout, seeing her suffer, etc. She was determined to finish her 1st, and by god she did it. Bloody impressed and proud I was.

Master
    ^^ brilliant, even with the bad knee a great experience for her I'm sure!

Master
    Anyone ever got 400/500 miles out of shoes ?

Mine always wear out at the heel area and the padding rubs away. My latest pair of maybe done 80 miles and they’re now unusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Mine always wear out at the heel area and the padding rubs away. My latest pair of maybe done 80 miles and they’re now unusable.

Normally get 350 max out of Asics, Saucony or recent few pairs of Brooks. Upper and treads look fine, but the important mid-layer goes dead. Retire them to summer dog walking shoes usually.

Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    Manchester marathon yesterday. Physically it was pretty easy for me It's my 4th and I had trained well. However, the slow pace was according to my daughter's dodgy ITB affected knee and she was in quite a bit of pain from only 5 miles in. Emotionally it was challenging to support her throughout, seeing her suffer, etc. She was determined to finish her 1st, and by god she did it. Bloody impressed and proud I was.
    Congratulations to you both. I do most of my running with my daughter, and it's a great bonding experience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    Amazing and well done both of you, I cannot even begin to imagine...

Pitch

Blog Entries

My current rotation mileage below.

Trashing shoes in 80 miles does seem a bit extreme, my Pro's are holding up extreme well with minor wear on the forefoot. My Fuelcell's are showing some signs of heel wear but this is because I tend to run very easy and maybe lazy in them.

What shoes are you running in??

Pitch

Master
    I never knew shoes being fast was thing! A rabbit hole I need to avoid so will stick to Nike Pegasus as they have worked ok for me for years!

480km - 650km for me, although I went through the toes on the uppers on a couple of pairs of New Balance earlier than that. 80 miles is nothing, though. I've got noticeable wear on a couple of my current rotation at the heel tread, but they're at 320km and 385km, and I'm confident I'll get another 150km+ out of each before they lose their bounce.
    Dave E

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I never knew shoes being fast was thing! A rabbit hole I need to avoid so will stick to Nike Pegasus as they have worked ok for me for years!
    A mate I run with stuck with his Asics Kayano's for years, I convinced him last year to go for a super shoe (last seasons colour to save a few ££ -- he's very frugal)

From being a consistent 8.00/mile runner, he just ran a half PB -- 1:38, average pace 7.30/mile

He bought the shoes 2 months ago

It's not as simple as saying the shoes make you go faster, but they do help with recovery which means more miles and more training and they take less out of the legs on the longer runs

Master
    A mate I run with stuck with his Asics Kayano's for years, I convinced him last year to go for a super shoe (last seasons colour to save a few ££ -- he's very frugal)

From being a consistent 8.00/mile runner, he just ran a half PB -- 1:38, average pace 7.30/mile

He bought the shoes 2 months ago

It's not as simple as saying the shoes make you go faster, but they do help with recovery which means more miles and more training and they take less out of the legs on the longer runs
    Also a rabbit hole I am trying to avoid. I have convinced myself that Kayano are the only shoe that will work for me...especially as I overpronate and so need the arch support.

Out of interest, which shoe did you recommend to your friend who came from the Kayano?

I have been using Kayano for around 10 years now without deviation!

Master

Depends on the shoes for me. I got 800 running kilometres out of shoes like Saucony Triumph 17 & 18 and Hoka Bondi 6 before I retired them to walking. My Saucony Endorphin Speed 2, despite being light and fast are at over 700km and still going strong. On the other hand my Hoka Bondi 8 became increasingly hard to run in after 450km (not uncomfortable or causing injuries but more effort required to run = high HR on even very slow runs). So retired those at 550km. Saucony Endorphin Speed 3: outsole started deteriorating quite early but I stubbornly squeezed 600km out of them before retiring. Nike Alphafly 1 and Vaporfly 2: retired from racing around 250-275km but used for track/tempo and some long fast runs until they became really unresponsive - retired at 500km.

Master
    Also a rabbit hole I am trying to avoid. I have convinced myself that Kayano are the only shoe that will work for me...especially as I overpronate and so need the arch support.

Out of interest, which shoe did you recommend to your friend who came from the Kayano?

I have been using Kayano for around 10 years now without deviation!
    I suggested New Balance as I didn’t think they were too aggressive. I had Kayano myself when I started running, they feel like bricks now. Even forgetting the carbon plate, the foam in the super/super-ish shoes is just much lighter and easier on the feet

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/...yABEgJZFvD_BwE

Master
    I suggested New Balance as I didn’t think they were too aggressive. I had Kayano myself when I started running, they feel like bricks now. Even forgetting the carbon plate, the foam in the super/super-ish shoes is just much lighter and easier on the feet

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/...yABEgJZFvD_BwE
    Thanks...think I will need to try some on one day.

Blog Entries
    Thanks...think I will need to try some on one day.
    I’m sure you can find some time at the weekend, you know you want to buddy, stop resisting

LOL

Pitch

Master
    London marathon today. Quite frustrating that after flawless training for 15 weeks, avoiding injury, getting fitter, I got an ear infection and a cold in week 16 (race week). Started strong, but soon it was clear my target time wasn’t possible so quickly revised the goal to just getting a PB. Stayed on track for it until the illness won the battle and dictated a slowdown late in the race. Picked up again in the last kilometre and sprint finished. Just beat my (now) 3rd best time by 1 second. Ended up 4 mins slower than PB, my second quickest marathon at 3:33:55 but probably my proudest given how unwell I felt all the way. Telling that the first thing I reached for after collecting my bag was my antibiotics 🤣

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    London marathon today. Quite frustrating that after flawless training for 15 weeks, avoiding injury, getting fitter, I got an ear infection and a cold in week 16 (race week). Started strong, but soon it was clear my target time wasn’t possible so quickly revised the goal to just getting a PB. Stayed on track for it until the illness won the battle and dictated a slowdown late in the race. Picked up again in the last kilometre and sprint finished. Just beat my (now) 3rd best time by 1 second. Ended up 4 mins slower than PB, my second quickest marathon at 3:33:55 but probably my proudest given how unwell I felt all the way. Telling that the first thing I reached for after collecting my bag was my antibiotics 藍
    Great effort, especially in the circumstances.

Master
    Well done for doing it mate! I had to defer my place until next year due to a niggling thigh strain. That is super quick

Well done, particularly given the illness!
    Dave E

My son completed his third full marathon yesterday, he normally does half marathons but last year decided to try a few full distance ones to see how he gets on.

He didn't run the London marathon as he couldn't get an entry, so he ran the Shakespeare marathon in Stratford on Avon and came 5th with a time of 2:48:06. We were there to cheer him on, we are very proud of the lad!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    My son completed his third full marathon yesterday, he normally does half marathons but last year decided to try a few full distance ones to see how he gets on.

He didn't run the London marathon as he couldn't get an entry, so he ran the Shakespeare marathon in Stratford on Avon and came 5th with a time of 2:48:06. We were there to cheer him on, we are very proud of the lad!
    That is fast. No wonder you are proud! Congrats to him - will only get better with time.

Master
    2:48 is motoring! Well done that man!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    London marathon today. Quite frustrating that after flawless training for 15 weeks, avoiding injury, getting fitter, I got an ear infection and a cold in week 16 (race week). Started strong, but soon it was clear my target time wasn’t possible so quickly revised the goal to just getting a PB. Stayed on track for it until the illness won the battle and dictated a slowdown late in the race. Picked up again in the last kilometre and sprint finished. Just beat my (now) 3rd best time by 1 second. Ended up 4 mins slower than PB, my second quickest marathon at 3:33:55 but probably my proudest given how unwell I felt all the way. Telling that the first thing I reached for after collecting my bag was my antibiotics 藍
    That is fantastic and congrats, superb run.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    And congrats to your son up there, very quick time.

Pitch