closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conservatory roof replacement

Craftsman

Conservatory roof replacement

Looking for some advice and/or suggestions.

We have a 3m x 3.5m conservatory with polycarbonate roof panels. It's cold, slightly leaking and has discoloured therefore no longer let's much light in.

I think the ideal situation would be to replace the panels with insultaed glass but we are getting very varied quotes.
    Alternatively we spend a but more and knock it down to build a single story extension with bifold doors but we would then have to go down the building regs route and would obviously cost a lot more.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master

A few years ago my parents had a pitch (plastic) roof on their conservatory, it was too hot in the summer and to noisy in the winter with the rain drumming on it and started leaking so it had to go!
    Best long term option was to have a aluminium roof frame and lightweight roof tiles tiles added, no need to worry about foundations as it’s designed for this purpose.
    Here’s some pictures of their conservative when finished, they opted for the high ceiling (without Velux windows) but you could always have a ceiling level to match your other rooms.
    If you need any info I can always ask my dad who did the work etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dizz; 1st December 2018 at 15:25.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    A few years ago my parents had a pitch (plastic) roof on their conservatory, it was too hot in the summer and to noisy in the winter with the rain drumming on it and started leaking so it had to go!
    Best long term option was to have a aluminium roof frame and lightweight roof tiles tiles added, no need to worry about foundations as it’s designed for this purpose.
    Here’s some pictures of their conservative when finished, they opted for the high ceiling (without (Velux windows) but you could always have a ceiling level to match your other rooms.
    If you need any info I can always ask my dad who did the work etc.

That looks great.
    If you could get a bit more info that would be great.
    Will need to weigh up the costs vs what we will end up with vs value added etc.

We did the same as diz, made a huge amount of difference. We used a company called Solarframe and have recommended them to others who are equally delighted with what they do.

Turned what was an occasional room into the most used room in the house.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That looks great.
    If you could get a bit more info that would be great.
    Will need to weigh up the costs vs what we will end up with vs value added etc.

This was the company, dads out at the moment but im sure this was the one, there were a few companies doing similar construction but this one kept coming up as good. (Watch the installation video on the site for a better idea how it’s done)
    https://www.guardianroofberkshire.co...4aAqkvEALw_wcB

We had the same issue... the roof leaked, too cold, too hot... and the noise when it rained was unbelievable! It became a real issue as it was open plan to the kitchen / dining area , it was there when we bought the house and it got to the point where we just could cope with it any longer.

After a look at our options we went for a replacement roof, all the old frame and plastic panels removed completely, a new timber frame cut to size on site and fitted, triple insulated with a tiled roof with some kind of composite roof tile but I can’t remember which exactly, building regs taken care of as part of the job

IMHO it was well worth doing and a fraction of the cost of knocking down and rebuilding. It is now a completely usable space and we probably now spend more time at that end of the house than anywhere.

A couple of quick pics just taken to give you an idea of the look

Master
    Our conservatory has just started leaking and has the same hot / cold problem, so thinking of doing the same thing.

Any pointers on what something like this costs?

We had the same issue. Massive 5.7m x 3m conservatory open to the back of the house. Freezing in winter and boiling in summer. Looked an eye sore.

Rip it down and build a proper extension like we did. Literally just finished ours last week and we are thrilled. It's gone from the coldest to the warmest room in the house. We used to avoid the conservatory in winter. Now, we as a family spend most of our time together in the kitchen and extension.

All done under permitted development (no planning permission required).

BEFORE PHOTOS

AFTER PHOTOS

EDIT : As we've literally in the last few days just completed the extension, I can give you a good idea of costs for a 3m x 5.7m extension. I'm near Kingston-on-Thames so builders do not come cheap.

Builders cost - £34k (includes demolition and painted finish, wood floor installed, 5.4 m steel beam and 5.4m re-bar to strengthen foundations). I found the builder on Checkatrade and he works below his VAT limit so that helped.

Bifold doors - £5k (Schuco 4 leaf, Aluminium double glazed, 2.3m x 4.5m). Worked very hard to get the at that price, given Schuco bifolds are amongst the best you can buy.

Rooflights x 2 - £930 for both (Panoroof triple glazed, 1.5m x 2m)

Structural engineer - £720

Building notice and inspection - £600

Sundries - £300 radiator & valves, sockets etc

Flooring - £600 (Kahrs Oak London)

Total (all in) for 17m2 extension = £42k or £2.5k/m2.

So for a 3.5m x 3m extension, I would expect £30k (all in, inc. bifolds, flooring etc.) as a smaller extension will have a higher cost per square metre. Don't spend a few grand putting a better roof on. That's a few grand that can go towards a nice extension.

Remember, buy cheap, buy twice.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 1st December 2018 at 16:54. Reason: Some cost info

Master
    I would have thought that an extension would add more value to the property and may cause less hassle in the long run (some mortgage companies can be a bit funny with unusual methods of construction). My friends who have had bi-folds fitted can't stop raving about how wonderful they are but, as you have found out, they aren't particularly cheap. You will need to meet the regs but that isn't as much hassle as it sounds, especially if you have a builder who knows what they are doing. You may not even need planning permission. The planning portal tells you what you need to know:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf.../17/extensions

Sent from my SGP311 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We moved from a plastic roof to the mentioned guardian roof. It is now warm in winter & cool enough in summer.

Took it from being a 2 month a year room which we shut off from the rest of the house, into one where we knocked out the double glazed doors and added it being part of the dining room.

Best decision we ever made. Cannot help on prices though as the father in law owns a glazing company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    That guardian roof looks like just the ticket, I am going to call them on Monday.

Besides the hot and cold the rain drumming on the roof has become tortuous.

Some previous quotes I had where all very suspect.

We've just had two quotes from Anglian to replace an existing conservatory, size 6.25 m x 2.25m, one for a glazed roof the other a solid roof.

£35k and £58k respectively.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Jesus wept !

We've just had two quotes from Anglian to replace an existing conservatory, size 6.25 m x 2.25m, one for a glazed roof the other a solid roof.

R
    Did they also bend you over and pull your pants down?

Master

R
    Is that their price before discount? They are doing a friends windows now and have made a right hash of it. I also got them in to quote for a garage door replacement (in fact turning two doors into one large door), and they suggested a lintel solution to tie the two existing lintels together. I asked for more details on how they would do that as never heard of it before and there were unable to explain or find someone who would talk to me about it before I signed up - which I didn’t do of course

I can only speak for myself but the replacement timber frame roof was no hassle, no hiccups, building regs taken care of as part of the job, solved all of of the hot / cold / noise and leaking issues and came in around 9k all in for a 5m x 4m approx room... we did get quotes to knock down and replace with an extension but the numbers didn’t make sense when we could do the roof and it was already a good open plan space.

The settlement cracks freaked me out a little bit but they were sorted brilliantly after we waited 6 months wait to make sure no more appeared, I think it’s the dogs danglies... not sure if 9k represents good value to everyone but I’ve wasted a lot more on a a lot less!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I can only speak for myself but the replacement timber frame roof was no hassle, no hiccups, building regs taken care of as part of the job, solved all of of the hot / cold / noise and leaking issues and came in around 9k all in for a 5m x 4m approx room... we did get quotes to knock down and replace with an extension but the numbers didn’t make sense when we could do the roof and it was already a good open plan space.

The settlement cracks freaked me out a little bit but they were sorted brilliantly after we waited 6 months wait to make sure no more appeared, I think it’s the dogs danglies... not sure if 9k represents good value to everyone but I’ve wasted a lot more on a a lot less!

That sounds like a bit of a bargain. We are doing an extension which is 6x4m and quotes at £38k. Also have a conservatory of similar proportions, and if we can make that into a really useful space all year round for under £15k, then would be happy with that too

£31k and £35k respectively.

R
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Jesus wept !
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Did they also bend you over and pull your pants down?
    Bugger! I've now corrected the figures, no idea how I got them so wrong.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    At the last house we had a hardwood conservatory built on the back 11m x 4m, and had glass panels with the latest reflective glass. It was still hot in the summer, but not as bad as the one it replaced. We had blinds which fitted into the double glazing units around the sides and back, and wished afterwards we had the same in the roof glazing, if that would be possible. The whole thing worked out hugely expensive, and with hindsight an extension would probably have been cheaper!
    Having a hardwood conservatory that size was really nice and suited the building which was very old with beams etc, but our hearts ruled our heads a bit!

I hear the people who bought it are considering a solid roof on it now but the prices they were quoted were astronomical compared with the ones on here.

As we left it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post

I have guardian coming tommorow to give me a quote,who did yours?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I have guardian coming tommorow to give me a quote,who did yours?
    A company called Nu-Look, I am in Northamptonshire, I believe they travel and work down as far as Hertfordshire if that’s any help?

Craftsman
    It would appear my dilemma is more common than I thought.

We did get a quote 18 months ago for replacing the polycarbonate for glass. Came in at £6300 (discounted) for glass and replacing the frame as we were told it wouldn't be strong enough for glass.

Another big issue we have is natural light. We installed an internal insulated roof cladding which has killed the amount of light getting into the Kitchen Diner.

I think it will have to come down to what extra we can afford on our mortgage.

Decent budget - knock it down and build a single story extension with bifold doors to the garden and remove the dividing wall between kitchen diner and what would have been the conservatory.
    Good budget - replace roof with a tiled roof with the biggest skylight we can get and replace the dividing wall with internal bifold doors.
    Budget - Replace roof with glass and later on (next year maybe) remove the dividing wall for internal bifold doors.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We moved from a plastic roof to the mentioned guardian roof. It is now warm in winter & cool enough in summer.

Took it from being a 2 month a year room which we shut off from the rest of the house, into one where we knocked out the double glazed doors and added it being part of the dining room.

Best decision we ever made. Cannot help on prices though as the father in law owns a glazing company.
    What did you do about Building Control? A conservatory is allowed to have relaxed constructional specifications but one of the provisos is that it must be possible to close it off from the rest of the house. If the doors are removed it's no longer a conservatory & needs BC approval. It might not be an issue for you but should you come to sell the buyers solicitior will raise it as an issue.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have just had a quote for £13,000 from Guardian I have no idea if this is reasonable?

Master
    I have just had a quote for £13,000 from Guardian I have no idea if this is reasonable?
    What is the size of conservatory?
    I had an initial estimate of £20k for roughly 4m x 6m

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    What is the size of conservatory?
    I had an initial estimate of £20k for roughly 4m x 6m
    It’s about the size of a large front room,they offer no discounts and seem straight up.

Master
    Depending on the depth of your footings you maybe able to remove the plastic frames add brick pillars & have a traditional vaulted roof with velux's.
    I had a huge plastic L shaped conny on my house back in 2014, managed to do the lot for less than 20k.
    Will find the photos tomorrow as photobucket seems to of restored links to a previous build thread on another forum.

Journeyman
    Looks like you get charged a premium down south some of the prices you are being quoted are interesting..... I imagine your getting salesmen turning up, seeing your expensive taste in wrist wear and rubbing their hands
    There's lots of options, but the best compromise if possible is to have an orangery, all the benefits of an extension and all the light of a conservatory.....

Master

R
    That's genuinely insane.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itizme View Post
    Looks like you get charged a premium down south some of the prices you are being quoted are interesting..... I imagine your getting salesmen turning up, seeing your expensive taste in wrist wear and rubbing their hands
    There's lots of options, but the best compromise if possible is to have an orangery, all the benefits of an extension and all the light of a conservatory.....
    Correct I'm a surveyor. Up north a rough guide is 1k per square metre for an extension.

The prices all quoted below are absolute madness. 58k for a conservatory roof - daylight robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Correct I'm a surveyor. Up north a rough guide is 1k per square metre for an extension.
    And I'm a domestic level contractor up North and that figure is way off.

But I agree, them other quoted figures are bonkers.

Craftsman
    After a lot of research and reading comments here, we have decided to just replace our polycarbonate for Glass.
    For our 3m x 3.5m conservatory it is costing us £6K. This will be to remove the entire roof including roof frame and replace with a new frame with argon filled glass.
    I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Master
    And I'm a domestic level contractor up North and that figure is way off.

But I agree, them other quoted figures are bonkers.
    Way off ?? For a single story house extension ? That's the goin rate 1k/1.2k. No finishes just pure build.

If you're over that you're expensive.

Way off ?? For a single story house extension ? That's the goin rate 1k/1.2k. No finishes just pure build.

If you're over that you're expensive.
    As a very rough guide, I work on 1.5k/m.
    It serves me well and I have over 14 months work ahead of me as of now.

Master
    As a very rough guide, I work on 1.5k/m.
    It serves me well and I have over 14 months work ahead of me as of now.
    You need to get yourself down south. You'd be a millionaire in 14 months fixing conservatory roofs for 58k

You need to get yourself down south. You'd be a millionaire in 14 months fixing conservatory roofs for 58k
    Sounds like yeah. I'd best go pack a suitcase

We have a pretty big conservatory, it has underfloor heating which is almost always switched off (too expensive to run) and in the summer without all the windows open and skylight ajar it’s hot as hell. Came with the house, but luckily we have enough space without really having to use it. Can’t imagine ever being wealthy enough to spend £58k to add a proper roof to it, Just to make it a more comfortable temperature - I can think of much better things to spend that kind of cash on! - on the odd summer evening with a cold beer in my hand looking across the garden, I quite enjoy it - until I glance at the ceiling where a whole selection of wasps, flies and bees are desperately trying to escape. Next morning I’ll be sweeping them up with the hoover. Living the dream!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Before Christmas I went to have a look at a guardian roof fitted a few years ago.
    It looked very good,the owner was an ex policeman and told me it was a vast improvement and now a room to use.
    So it’s the choice for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Depending on the depth of your footings you maybe able to remove the plastic frames add brick pillars & have a traditional vaulted roof with velux's.
    I had a huge plastic L shaped conny on my house back in 2014, managed to do the lot for less than 20k.
    Will find the photos tomorrow as photobucket seems to of restored links to a previous build thread on another forum.

Before

https://www.cliosport.net/attachments/1144652/

After

https://www.cliosport.net/attachments/1144651/

Links not working, think we have to be members.

Master
    Well I am used to TZ ‘inspiring’ me to spends thousands of pounds on watches, but this thread has just stepped it up a level....

After reading this, I signed up for a Guardian Roof for my conservatory and the company also offered a very reasonable price to change the windows and doors as they were not in very good shape which is really needed before investing in a roof to go on top.

I did have Everest around for a quotation as it is one of their conservatories (although they say not, the Everest stamps on the windows themselves suggest otherwise). Everest quoted £47k and I am getting this work done for around half that !!!!

This is a big conservatory at 4m x 6.5m, so the price seems fairly reasonable. Anyway, a couple of months from now, this will have been transformed......

Craftsman
    We finally have light!!
    We had our polycarbonate roof replaced with glass and the transformation is incredible. It is by far the best £6k spent on our house.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My guardian roof turned up at 7.00am today delivered by a grumpy scouser.

The builders arrived on time at 8am,when they left at 3.30pm the roof was on up to the waterproof insulation.
    It fits like a dream,the construction is to a high standard it feels better already.

I just fed the builders strong Yorkshire tea,a happy friendly bunch singing as they worked.

Best decision I made in years thanks to this thread.

Last edited by bwest76; 23rd April 2019 at 21:13.

Master
    My guardian roof turned up at 7.00am today delivered by a grumpy scouser.

The builders arrived on time at 8am,when they left at 3.30pm the roof was on up to the waterproof insulation.
    It fits like a dream,the construction is to a high standard it feels better already.

I just fed the builders strong Yorkshire tea,a happy friendly bunch singing as they worked.

Best decision I made in years thanks to this thread.

Looking good - keep posting photos as the work progresses. Ours is due next week !

Master
    It’s great when you see it come together like that. We had a similar feeling with ours when it went up. When the insulation goes in, you will really notice it on hot & cold days.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It’s great when you see it come together like that. We had a similar feeling with ours when it went up. When the insulation goes in, you will really notice it on hot & cold days.

There’s a lot, this is about a third.
    You also get 2 council inspections which is reassuring.

Master
    We’ve been looking at getting a new roof on our conservatory too. It’s a glass roof but the room is far too bright to sit in for any length of time. It’s a big room, nearly 8m x 4m. We’ve been quoted £14K for a simple solid roof with no velux windows etc. Other options at the moment are blinds or some sort of tinting film. Due to the number of glass panels blind companies are quoting between £6-£8K. For a commercial tint professionally installed quotes are a much nicer £1800...

Master
    Blog Entries
    3 layers of insulation on Friday the builders cleaned up and left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The plasterer came on Monday he specialises on roofs.
    He was an artist laying layers at a time and forming the smooth shape,he constantly stopped and checked the lines.

Last edited by bwest76; 30th April 2019 at 21:44.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s been drying today,tomorrow the Electrician is fitting the lights.

As I have opted for no skylights I am having an extra 2 down lights and 2 dimmer switches.

The surface is as smooth as glass I expected a rough surface,I may not paint it as it looks a bit Mediterranean to me.

I’ve been told it will increase the value of the house,it already feels a lot more usable of a room.

Guardian roof gets my approval.