closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conservatory roof replacement

Had a Guardian roof fitted at our old house when they first started, system was good at the time although we had condensation issues in-between the layers showing wet patches inside on the plaster.

Fast forward 5 years and our new gaff has a conservatory (new build, 50m from the sea, polycarbonate roof) so phoned them again to change, this conservatory is considerably smaller than the last so thought it would be (relatively) cheap.

To my horror it was over twice the price!!

Asked about the price increase as I was a returning customer, was told those are the prices sir take it or leave it, so I left it!

Have since ordered a different system (much better) and is being fitted end of the month, £8k all in with 2 Velux windows each side, can't wait. We got a dog last september so spend a lot of time in there now, it's not cold in Winter but the noise the rain makes is bloody awful!

Master
    Blog Entries
    They told me to let the plaster dry, it’s bound to cause condensation as it dries and it did a bit on day one.

The electrician another top tradesman has just left after fitting the lights.

The amount of high quality materials and the amount of man hours I would say it’s a fair price.

If you get it cheap there has to be a reason,Guardian don’t haggle they set a price and stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    They told me to let the plaster dry, it’s bound to cause condensation as it dries and it did a bit on day one.

The electrician another top tradesman has just left after fitting the lights.

The amount of high quality materials and the amount of man hours I would say it’s a fair price.

If you get it cheap there has to be a reason,Guardian don’t haggle they set a price and stick to it.
    The wet patches appeared for years afterwards, it's a flaw in the roof design where there are "spaces" in-between the roof and the insulation, I was told there was nothing they could do about it.

When I spoke to the Guardian salesman he told be the system was still exactly the same as when I had it fitted previously, my old conservatory was 5m x 3m and the cost was £6k, this conservatory is 3.2m square and the cost was near £12k, apparently the increase was due to "building regs sir" (these were not needed when I had it done initially).

After speaking with lots of reputable companies I have now decided to go for the "Warm Roof" system, local company to fit it which I have used for over 15 years, they have done a few installs locally and it looks great.

Time will tell if it's better than the Guardian system as they mostly do the same thing, I was just annoyed at the massive price hike for less work but then they are a much bigger company now.

During my research there are some really shoddy systems out there nowadays which I cannot believe some people pay for!

Master
    Blog Entries
    When the council inspector came he made sure there was spaces so it must be a regulation.

It’s not just the quality of the roof it’s the team that installs it.

When the council inspector came he made sure there was spaces so it must be a regulation.

It’s not just the quality of the roof it’s the team that installs it.
    Definitely, the Guardian team that did my first roof were great, whole job done and dusted in 3 days with minimal mess / fuss.

My gripe as stated is the price hike, it just doesn't justify the £12k cost when there are better systems out there, I feel they have just got a bit too big for their boots with the pricing structure is all.

An air gap is needed yes, but the system allowed cold air in the wrong place hence condensation build up and wet patches on my roof, this could have been addressed but as I have said the sales guy told me it was exactly the same. It may have just been my roof, I was an "early adopter" but watch out for it now I've mentioned it.

Interesting thread. We have two conservatories on our house, one of them a double height one. I’ve had some done on previous homes too.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned is that many of the companies, and builders, just pluck figures out of thin air based on what they think they might be able to get out of you.

I’ve had quotes in the past that have varied by as much as nearly 50k for the same work. Bonkers.

Oh, and Everest are absurdly expensive. We got a quote from them years back and just laughed. How they stay in business is a mystery.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had much higher quotes from other firms that seemed gimmicky construction.

I’ve seen this go up it’s custom made and done properly of that I am sure.

Master
    I had much higher quotes from other firms that seemed gimmicky construction.

I’ve seen this go up it’s custom made and done properly of that I am sure.
    You can be sure of that. Father in law is a sales director for a West Country firm. He recommended a guardian roof & we did just that.

Fitted during the heatwave (poor fitter!), but still not boiling inside. First winter we haven’t shut the room off as unusable. Small dyson heater as the dining room radiator isn’t quite enough unless it’s been on a few hours.

We now have a 365 day room vs a spring/autumn only one before it gets too hot or too cold. One of our best decisions with the house.

8 hue bulbs in the ceiling and we can make it feel warmer / cooler by managing the lights, great bit of tech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was waiting for it to get dark so I could try the down lights fitted today.
    2 on one dimmer switch 4 on another dimmer switch they are the latest technology and very,very bright without glare.

No bulbs they come with a 5 year guarantee.

They think of everything on his suggestion the lights aren’t pushed in fully so it’s easier if I get the ceiling painted to just pop them in after.

The radiator that couldn’t keep the room warm now has to be turned down.

The best decision I have made in years.

They are amazing hence why we are doing it again in our new place.

Not so much here but in our old house we just shut the conservatory off with the sliding door in the Winter months, after the roof fit it was usable all year round.

In the new house the conservatory is open to the house via a kitchen / living / dining area but has a wet underfloor heating system along with the rest go the house which keeps it warm, only problem is it's running 24/7 to keep the heat up!

This should make the world of difference.

Master
    Well ours is now finished and we just moved some furniture back in today. This is the set of photos I took in chronological order over the past few weeks.

I have to say that I am impressed with the new conservatory. We went for new windows and doors as well as a couple of velux windows. I also replaced radiators with a higher BTU to really heat the area during winter

Sitting in here now as I type this and it really feels like a room rather than an added on conservatory. Not cheap, but worth it in my opinion

Before:

After day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6 (they came in Saturday)

The following week they sent an electrician and a plasterer:

And then we arranged to get it painted after another couple of weeks once we had a couple of snags sorted

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks good,I didn’t want any skylights I just had extra lights installed.
    They came back and replaced 2 windows that had gone misty for cost price this week as well.

Like you said it feels like a proper room now,it also adds more than the roof cost to your houses value.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Well ours is now finished and we just moved some furniture back in today. This is the set of photos I took in chronological order over the past few weeks.
    That looks great and certainly a big improvement. I’ve one like it but I will brick up the windows facing the neighbours wall, firstly because the view isn’t much to look at and the additional wall space give me somewhere to hang a TV, pictures or storage.

Craftsman
    Resurrecting an old thread here, we are probably going to use the Guardian system to replace our conservatory roof. Can I ask those who've had them fitted for a while now, are they still pleased with it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread here, we are probably going to use the Guardian system to replace our conservatory roof. Can I ask those who've had them fitted for a while now, are they still pleased with it?

the best decision I have made house wise I am very glad I followed the recommendations,its transformed my room..

Master
    Likewise. It was an excellent investment, and has turned our big old conservatory from something that was used very occasionally, as it was cold and drafty, or hotter than hell to the nicest room in the house

Craftsman
    Thanks for the feedback, that's what I'd hoped to hear!

I think we are more or less committed to the Guardian system, just trying to decide whether to include any glazed panels in the roof. The existing roof is 5-ply bronze/opal polycarb, it's somewhat translucent (but not a lot), trying to gauge if we'll need a glazed panel for the extra natural light is tricky.

Master

I think we are more or less committed to the Guardian system, just trying to decide whether to include any glazed panels in the roof. The existing roof is 5-ply bronze/opal polycarb, it's somewhat translucent (but not a lot), trying to gauge if we'll need a glazed panel for the extra natural light is tricky.
    We added two (one each side), and I think it was £500 each. Well worth it, and they make a lot of difference in light and ventilation. You can’t do it in the future, so add them now for a relatively small additional cost

Master
    We have had ours 2yrs (maybe 3) now, and to echo others it is the beat decision we made, room is usable in the summer without being too hot & in the winter also.

We had 2 velux windows put in as wanted to ensure we didn’t lose too much light. Reality is I don’t think they were required, but are useful for air circulation.

Cannot see how you would be disappointed if you went with yours.

We had ours done back in June and it’s transferred how we use the conservatory. I would recommend speaking with CosyRoof. They were significantly cheaper than other options we looked at and the service was great (no affiliation to the company, just a satisfied customer).

Master
    Blog Entries

I had extra ceiling lights just in case,now I am glad I didnt go for extra panels or windows.

Scotts of Reading was my builder,great service and did all they said.

this included council paperwork/inspection,I am told my house is worth far more than the cost of the roof cost me,if you see what I mean.

As an aside, can conservatories be built with these roofs or planning would be more difficult?
    And if they can, why aren’t more built like this?