closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought three new Rolex homages today....................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Honest question: what makes it harmless? What is the difference between printing the Rolex logo onto the dial of a 'real' watch and using it as a digital image in a smart watch? Honestly, I don't understand the difference.
    You need to lighten up

Master
    when did Clapton wear a Casio? I doubt he even has one of their tuners. Perhaps he agreed to a Japan only release back in his alcohol days.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    when did Clapton wear a Casio? I doubt he even has one of their tuners. Perhaps he agreed to a Japan only release back in his alcohol days.
    As you know Clapton is a watch fanatic and he used to wear G Shocks back in the day, there are photos of him performing wearing one.

He obviously gave permission to Casio to produce the models bearing his signature.

They are rare but I did sell a full NOS set of them to the president of the Swiss Clapton fan club a few years ago. He wanted to give them to his two sons as well as for himself. Even got an invite to a Clapton concert from him.

Mitch

Master
    So if you once bought a real one, is okay to buy not-so real ones?
    It is. Yes.

Master
    If I manufacture a t-shirt, and put the Rolex logo on it - will I get a higher price than without the logo?

Rolex worked hard to build a brand and they want to control which products are distributed using that brand logo.

Is it really difficult?
    I'd better chop my arm off then - I've got a Harley Davidson tattoo !!!!

maseman

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    I'd better chop my arm off then - I've got a Harley Davidson tattoo !!!!

maseman
    That is just arguing for the sake of it.

Rolex are trying to protect their brand which they won by hard work over many years. It is galling for all concerned to see some cheap tat displaying their logo even in digital form. It is a cheap rip off pure and simple and those who manufacture it have the morals of a rat.

If someone wants a Rolex image on their wrist, they should jolly well buy one.

Rolex are trying to protect their brand
    Are they? Has the app stopped working? I'm sure their people are always on the lookout for infringements. Easy enough for them to get the app pulled.

They do seem to have an army of unpaid brand police on patrol. Thank god they found this thread.

. It is galling for all concerned

Is it really?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Rolex are trying to protect their brand which they won by hard work over many years. It is galling for all concerned to see some cheap tat displaying their logo even in digital form. It is a cheap rip off pure and simple and those who manufacture it have the morals of a rat.

Garbage

Been having fun myself with some amazing watch faces.

Just to pour more fuel on the fire here’s some more, and they cost nothing!

Smart watch technology combined with stupidly priced mechanicals, what do you expect. Watchmakers are stupidly shooting themselves in the foot in my honest opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Been having fun myself with some amazing watch faces.

Just to pour more fuel on the fire here’s some more, and they cost nothing!

Smart watch technology combined with stupidly priced mechanicals, what do you expect. Watchmakers are stupidly shooting themselves in the foot in my honest opinion.

wow I need definitely one of those, what model is that please?
    Thanks in anticipation of more grief from the big R huggers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Lol can’t believe this thread has gone on for so long.....

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    wow I need definitely one of those, what model is that please?
    Thanks in anticipation of more grief from the big R huggers

Samsung Galaxy 46mm

Samsung Galaxy 46mm
    Thanks John.

Thanks John Jason.

FTFY

FTFY
    I failed there but I did think about it for quite a while, my bad memory sometimes has a lot to answer for...

Master

Cant get my head around your thought process. How will Rolex lose out in any way from a computer generated imagine being on a smart watch ?

If anything it great publicity for them and im assuming would be a conversation started if anyone noticed.

You honestly believe the board at rolex find it annoying that some young chap in his bedroom has mad a digital picture of the rolex watch ?

Do you also believe the OP is now handling stolen goods for the logo use ?

I bet youre the type of person who pulls people up when they go the stationary cupboard and takes more than one pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Cant get my head around your thought process. How will Rolex lose out in any way from a computer generated imagine being on a smart watch ?

If anything it great publicity for them and im assuming would be a conversation started if anyone noticed.

You honestly believe the board at rolex find it annoying that some young chap in his bedroom has mad a digital picture of the rolex watch ?

I bet youre the type of person who pulls people up when they go the stationary cupboard and takes more than one pen.
    With the same logic I could start a line of Rolex-branded sweaters and leather jackets, right? Maybe if I send one to each of their board members, they would find it funny?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

You don't know what Rolex have in the pipeline. It could be considered right now that we're in the early days of a second quartz crisis, Rolex moved towards quartz last time, do you know for sure they aren't planning the release of smartwatches themselves?

They pay MILLIONS in sponsorship and advertising every year. What positive effect do you think knock-off images of their watches will have for Rolex? Do you see it happening? Two strangers on a train strike up a conversation about a Rolex dial on a smart watch? The guy who spots it is inspired to go and buy the real thing? Pull the other one.

Yes. Rolex is well-known for protecting their brand.

No-one said that. Literally no-one. Except you. Because...

If you can't play the ball, play the man.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    You don't know what Rolex have in the pipeline. It could be considered right now that we're in the early days of a second quartz crisis, Rolex moved towards quartz last time, do you know for sure they aren't planning the release of smartwatches themselves?

They pay MILLIONS in sponsorship and advertising every year. What positive effect do you think knock-off images of their watches will have for Rolex? Do you see it happening? Two strangers on a train strike up a conversation about a Rolex dial on a smart watch? The guy who spots it is inspired to go and buy the real thing? Pull the other one.

Yes. Rolex is well-known for protecting their brand.

No-one said that. Literally no-one. Except you. Because...

If you can't play the ball, play the man.
    So you believe rolex will release a smart watch with faces of their watches on ? Most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

Having a smart watch dial on a Samsung watch will do absolutely nothing to impact the rolex brand negatively. ZERO IMPACT. People who want a rolex and can a fford a rolex, buy a rolex.

If you look into it studies have actually happened on the issue of counterfeit luxury goods. Brands can actually monitor their overall health and future popularity - as long as the counterfeiting taking place does not financially hit the company they let it slide.

Master

Is it ? It's exactly the same principle. And yes, I do own a Harley !!!

So you believe rolex will release a smart watch with faces of their watches on ? Most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

Having a smart watch dial on a Samsung watch will do absolutely nothing to impact the rolex brand negatively. ZERO IMPACT. People who want a rolex and can a fford a rolex, buy a rolex.

If you look into it studies have actually happened on the issue of counterfeit luxury goods. Brands can actually monitor their overall health and future popularity - as long as the counterfeiting taking place does not financially hit the company they let it slide.
    Could you lend me your time machine for a while, I just want to check if Manchester City are due an implosion at any point before the end of the season.

If you say so.

If you say so. If you're going to cite "studies", cite the "studies".

I'm not going to get dragged down with you my friend, if you see no issue at all then good for you. You might feel differently if you ran a successful aspirational brand and people were creating knock-off items with your logo on them, but until that time I fear you can't see anything outside your own little sphere of experience.

Master
    Could you lend me your time machine for a while, I just want to check if Manchester City are due an implosion at any point before the end of the season.

If you say so.

If you say so. If you're going to cite "studies", cite the "studies".

I'm not going to get dragged down with you my friend, if you see no issue at all then good for you. You might feel differently if you ran a successful aspirational brand and people were creating knock-off items with your logo on them, but until that time I fear you can't see anything outside your own little sphere of experience.
    I've just informed you about actual studies that haven taken place -go look them up and try to see outside your own little sphere.

Grand Master
    Smart watches are bad enough, really naff IMO, I wouldn’t be seen dead in one. Putting a Rolex watch face on one makes it look even worse.......I cannot imagine anyone taking this seriously.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Smart watches are bad enough, really naff IMO, I wouldn’t be seen dead in one. Putting a Rolex watch face on one makes it look even worse.......I cannot imagine anyone taking this seriously.
    Everyone at Rolex will find it extremely galling apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Is it ? It's exactly the same principle. And yes, I do own a Harley !!!
    Harley will be delighted that you have a Harley tattoo because it demonstrates that you are so impressed with Harley, you were prepared to make yourself a lifelong advertiser for them. Your tattoo is a heartfelt endorsement of their products. It would be different, however, if some cheap tatty maker of rubbish look a likes had a Harley logo on the petrol tank. Two different things entirely.

Also Harley get an income when top end leather jacket makers have Harley inscriptions on the backs of their products. A brand image has value and diminishing the image is theft and punishable in court and companies will move to protect it.

Also Ivan Drago said ….."If you look into it studies have actually happened on the issue of counterfeit luxury goods. Brands can actually monitor their overall health and future popularity - as long as the counterfeiting taking place does not financially hit the company they let it slide. "

I have sat on various anti counterfeit committees and not once did I hear of any company being happy with someone else copying their brand image. There is no advantage to anyone in having their brand image displayed on tatty or inferior products.
    Last edited by Mick P; 7th December 2018 at 11:45.

I've just informed you about actual studies that haven taken place -go look them up and try to see outside your own little sphere.
    Yeah, that's not how it works. Try putting that in an academic paper, see if it gets published.

"Studies have shown that if you just tell people that studies have shown something then they'll concede defeat in the debate."

I concede defeat, you're right, knock-off images of Rolex designs have only positive effects on Rolex as a brand, Rolex have no need to try and protect their brand from others making money from it.

Master
    Yeah, that's not how it works. Try putting that in an academic paper, see if it gets published.

"Studies have shown that if you just tell people that studies have shown something then they'll concede defeat in the debate."

I concede defeat, you're right, knock-off images of Rolex designs have only positive effects on Rolex as a brand, Rolex have no need to try and protect their brand from others making money from it.

Im not telling you to take my word for it, im telling you to look it up. its fine if you don't want to do that, but please refrain from talking nonsense in future.

If Rolex needed to protect their brand from a smart watch app that creates a rolex dial it would be pulled in an instant. I don't think you are grasping the fact it will have ZERO impact on the rolex brand financially and Rolex wont even care.

Master
    Rolex have been unable to stop massive counterfeiting of their watches, why would they be able to stop this sort of thing? Technology is not easy to stop.....individuals could create their own apps . It's probably unstoppable, and harmless.
    Especially as they don't look anything like a Rolex, and are more of a joke....

Im not telling you to take my word for it, im telling you to look it up. its fine if you don't want to do that, but please refrain from talking nonsense in future.

If Rolex needed to protect their brand from a smart watch app that creates a rolex dial it would be pulled in an instant. I don't think you are grasping the fact it will have ZERO impact on the rolex brand financially and Rolex wont even care.
    At least help me out, which journal am I looking for? Any database in particular or will it be easy to find on Google Scholar? Do I need institute access? Throw a brother a bone, even just tell me the authors.

You're right. Rolex don't care.

Master

There is some truth in what you say, however the Rolex brand has value and is used for sponsorship etc, all of which generates business. Ripping the brand off is always detrimental to Rolex and there will be a marginal effect at the very least.

The main point is that Rolex is a protected brand and copying it is a criminal offence for very good reason. In a perfect world, there would be no theft or copying of a brand but criminals will always copy it because they can make illegal money out of it.

Rolex will never allow anyone to copy their brand because they want the brand protected and they reasonably expect the law to protect them.
    Last edited by Mick P; 7th December 2018 at 11:55.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Rolex have been unable to stop massive counterfeiting of their watches, why would they be able to stop this sort of thing? Technology is not easy to stop.....individuals could create their own apps . It's probably unstoppable, and harmless.
    Especially as they don't look anything like a Rolex, and are more of a joke....
    The apps are linked from the Google app store, you think it would take long for Google to remove them if there was a complaint? It's not like trying to get the fakes out of a Turkish market.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    The apps are linked from the Google app store, you think it would take long for Google to remove them if there was a complaint? It's not like trying to get the fakes out of a Turkish market.
    My understanding of the apps are that they're just a shop window. The hookey images themselves aren't part of the app and so the app is fine. It's similar to the whole Kodi debacle in that sense, so removing the app isn't the path they can go down.

Fair enough, I don't have a smart watch and haven't looked at the app used.

So they're no money being made from it then? If there is and its via the app store then the route is open to closing it down.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    OMG, I don't think these have been authorised, is it worth the risk just to create an impression that I am really rich?

Mitch
    Fabulous looking Casio.

Blog Entries

Well this could become a great hobby, collecting new watch faces...

Journeyman
    I think it is hilarious that people are getting worked up by this. I think even Rolex would be amused too.

It’s great fun - enjoy!

Craftsman
    Image1544223917.013169.jpg

Got mine today.....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Addictive isn't it! I'm going for an Air King next......

Being old it takes me a little longer nowadays to get electronic things to speak a language I can follow, but as of this morning it clicked into place and now have many new watches to enjoy, addictive ... yes very lol

Craftsman
    ^^^I like that one, uncluttered and easy to read. I am on a Luminox face at the moment, I have no clue whether this watch actually exists but I like the layout.

This is the night screen, I haven't messed with it too much yet, the day screen is better, it isn't as mismatched colour wise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There’s a guy on here who used to offer prints of pictures he’d drawn of a Rolex, did he attract such vitriol?

If you have Watchmaker this watch face file is hosted here http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...92577833162327

Craftsman
    Nice, only thing I would like is slightly longer hands on there.

I wish this forum wasn’t such a Rolex fanboy circle jerk. Embarrassing.

Craftsman
    I think the thread has moved on now, try not to lose too much sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Nice, only thing I would like is slightly longer hands on there.
    You can modify the hands in 'watchmaker' just click on the watch and change the x and y to suit otherwise i will post an xl version when i get back home.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    If I manufacture a t-shirt, and put the Rolex logo on it - will I get a higher price than without the logo?

Rolex worked hard to build a brand and they want to control which products are distributed using that brand logo.

Is it really difficult?
    Rolex and fakes live hand in hand in this world.. it certainly hasnt harmed rolex in terms of sales and profit.. makes me wonder whether they actually mind !! Same as Nike .. Adidas etc etc