closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What should I be putting my name down for?

What should I be putting my name down for?

Hi gents,

Got into this watch game fairly young and I have a fair amount of patience to sit on a waiting list for several years (...decades?)

Is it as simple as walking into an AD and putting my name down for a Daytona / PP? I have tried and failed to do this with Daytonas in the past but have I just been unlucky or do you need a track record of loyalty at an AD to be considered worthy enough to wait for years until getting one?

Second question, what should I put my name down for (yes I know it's my decision subject to my taste etc, I just want some ideas!)

Cheers

Oliver

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Which ever watch you like best, Id have thought?!

Master
    Is this what it's come to?

There's some great special edition Vostoks coming out at Meranom soon!

A council house?
    Property is getting expensive and rising faster than watch prices, you can’t live in a watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Sad isn’t it. 45 ish blnr’s on chrono24 in the U.K. and none in AD’s. How many more in people’s safes never being worn.

This seems to be the problem with watch collecting now, future profit over what someone actually likes, so a decision by public opinion.
    Come on buy what you like! There are thousands of options.

Tragic...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I think we're being a little unfair to the OP here. He's just asking for ideas and it seems also seeking info about what is actually available with a reasonable wait rather than going looking for an unobtanium PP.

So, in the spirit of the original post, a VC Overseas. Maybe. I don't really know because I can't afford one, but they seem relatively unpopular compared to the competition from the other two of the trinity and so might be easier to get hold of with the bonus that you've got something different, and a bit sexier, from every other man and his dog with a Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I think we're being a little unfair to the OP here. He's just asking for ideas and it seems also seeking info about what is actually available with a reasonable wait rather than going looking for an unobtanium PP.

So, in the spirit of the original post, a VC Overseas. Maybe. I don't really know because I can't afford one, but they seem relatively unpopular compared to the competition from the other two of the trinity and so might be easier to get hold of with the bonus that you've got something different, and a bit sexier, from every other man and his dog with a Nautilus.
    Yes he’s asking for ideas, but mentions “Daytona and PPs” so looks like the usual suspects. There are so many choices how can you ever narrow it down without more guidance on type, make and so on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Yes he’s asking for ideas, but mentions “Daytona and PPs” so looks like the usual suspects. There are so many choices how can you ever narrow it down without more guidance on type, make and so on.
    This is exactly what is preventing me from putting my name down on any list..I buy watches to wear and use, Ok so I flip lots of them!!! but at least ive tried them and either decided to keep them or move them on quickly so to minimise loss.
    But ive never bought a watch to keep in the safe..and in my opinion I believe the Rolex bubble is about to burst..buying small pieces of steel with a mass produced movement in them as investements makes little to no sense..I know they have risen in value but so did Apple Facebook and bitcoin...If its purely as an investment then its not a great choice...
    If you want a truly good timepiece then there are may to be had..but for value on the used market recent Omegas present great value and innovation, as well as having choice, some say too much choice, but at least there is a choice..
    For absolute value try some of the less popular swatch group brands, theres great value there..
    If you really want to jump up the AD list, ask for a lady datejust to accompany your Sub or Daytona...usually moves you up a bit...

Guys, I'm not planning on putting it in a safe or doing this to flip it. I like watches to wear.

I'm asking for some ideas of watches that are hard to obtain new without a serious wait as I am in a position to wait. And so what if I like PP and Daytonas? Lots of people do (...hence the waiting list!) But I want to consider other options.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Guys, I'm not planning on putting it in a safe or doing this to flip it. I like watches to wear.

I'm asking for some ideas of watches that are hard to obtain new without a serious wait as I am in a position to wait. And so what if I like PP and Daytonas? Lots of people do (...hence the waiting list!) But I want to consider other options.
    For people to help they would need to understand your preferences for watches you like to you will end up with recommendations for watches across the spectrum available.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 1st December 2018 at 16:35.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Jeremy67;4954985]Is this what it's come to?[

I'll second that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Sad isn’t it. 45 ish blnr’s on chrono24 in the U.K. and none in AD’s. How many more in people’s safes never being worn.
    Bad times. (literally)

Master
    OP from your thread it seems to me you just want watches (Daytona’s and PP) that are hard to get, therefore you can make a lot of money selling them on. That may be unfair of me but that’s how it reads to me. If that’s not the case, with you being on this forum and into watches, I’d hazard a guess that you know the type of watches you like the look of.

Assuming though you genuinely do want a watch as a wearer and keeper, you’ll need to work hard getting one - contact as many AD’s as possible. On a thread here recently someone got a submariner by doing just that.

How will you (or we) know what you'll like in say 5 years time (time quoted by some for a Rolex GMT)...
    Just buy something now, wear it and enjoy...

Craftsman
    I bought a Sea dweller in 95 for £1650 .. just walked into a Jewelers and bought it .
    In the light of my life experience ..I think those days will return .
    I also bought a PP aquanaut the same way with interest free credit ..
    Think about paying for it not the waiting list .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Hi gents,

Got into this watch game fairly young and I have a fair amount of patience to sit on a waiting list for several years (...decades?)

Is it as simple as walking into an AD and putting my name down for a Daytona / PP? I have tried and failed to do this with Daytonas in the past but have I just been unlucky or do you need a track record of loyalty at an AD to be considered worthy enough to wait for years until getting one?

Second question, what should I put my name down for (yes I know it's my decision subject to my taste etc, I just want some ideas!)

Cheers

Oliver

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    To get on waiting lists I believe you have to build up a track record with an AD - so buy a couple of DateJusts - in fact anything that is in their shop window. Then they may put you on 'the list'. Patek - probably the same. Not what you want to hear I guess.

As you what should you put your name down for? Rolex Hulk, BatMan, GMT Pepsi, Patek 5711, 5167A, 5164?

You could buy other brands - it depends what you are looking for..

Martyn

For some, sadly, yes. In other circles, it’s “I want the big Seiko diver, where can I get the big Seiko diver to compensate for my lack of confidence?”

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    For people to help they would need to understand your preferences for watches you like to you will end up with recommendations for watches across the spectrum available.
    Hear, hear.

Hi gents,

I’m not certain, but it appears that you want some kind of Rolex, but are getting the cold shoulder at some ADs. Unless there’s something about your demeanor (or your attire), I presume you’re confronting a shabby attitude at these dealers. If you’re discouraged, you could speak to a senior person at the store, and impress upon them (politely) that you’re there to order a watch, not get a serving of snobbery and condescension. What’s on offer, the watch you want to own, or a determination to insult customers and discourage business.

Vote with your wallet, and your feet. Don’t throw a hissy fit or tantrum, just stand up for yourself. :}

FWIW, the suggestion that you should “buy a couple of Datejusts to establish yourself with the dealer” is hilarious and preposterous. I don’t have to buy a crap car at a dealer before they let me special order the deluxe model, it shouldn’t be that way with a watch seller. If some retail shop is resistant to letting me order the watch I want until I’ve “proven myself” by ordering the watch I don’t want, they can go pound sand (and go out of business), so to speak. I’m sure many will tell me “that’s the way it is in some markets,” and I say “it is because you tolerate it, or even encourage it. Reap what you sow, suckers.”

Clarification: It wasn't my intention to attack any one person or his opinion. I've heard this strategy from several people on multiple forums, so it's not a peculiar or exotic idea. THAT's what I'm astonished by. The popularly accepted idea that you have to buy your way into earning the ability to order a high demand watch from an AD.
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 3rd December 2018 at 05:52. Reason: clarification

OP, tell us the style of watch you like and I'm sure people will advise on great watches you might want without a long waiting list.

If you just want a Daytona or a popular Patel, then you'll either need to buy used at a premium or grease the palm of 'your AD' for undesirable watches...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 1st December 2018 at 21:09.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Or you could grease your own palm for infinitely less money and arguably greater pleasure. (drops mic)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    For some, sadly, yes. In other circles, it’s “I want the big Seiko diver, where can I get the big Seiko diver to compensate for my lack of confidence?”

Hear, hear.

I’m not certain, but it appears that you want some kind of Rolex, but are getting the cold shoulder at some ADs. Unless there’s something about your demeanor (or your attire), I presume you’re confronting a shabby attitude at these dealers. If you’re discouraged, you could speak to a senior person at the store, and impress upon them (politely) that you’re there to order a watch, not get a serving of snobbery and condescension. What’s on offer, the watch you want to own, or a determination to insult customers and discourage business.

Vote with your wallet, and your feet. Don’t throw a hissy fit or tantrum, just stand up for yourself. :}

FWIW, the suggestion that you should “buy a couple of Datejusts to establish yourself with the dealer” is hilarious and preposterous. I don’t have to buy a crap car at a dealer before they let me special order the deluxe model, it shouldn’t be that way with a watch seller. If some retail shop is resistant to letting me order the watch I want until I’ve “proven myself” by ordering the watch I don’t want, they can go pound sand (and go out of business), so to speak. I’m sure many will tell me “that’s the way it is in some markets,” and I say “it is because you tolerate it, or even encourage it. Reap what you sow, suckers.”
    another one added to the ‘ignore’ list

Smiths Daytona if you get your name down quick enough.

Master
    Really?!?!

Master
    I am thinking you shouldn't go the obvious route and choose this...this is very nice.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    another one added to the ‘ignore’ list
    LMFAO. Sorry, snowflake, don't like my opinion in one thread, it threatens you, Ignore, ignore, ignore. Problem solved. :D