closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woe is Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    For less than £800 you could probably buy a used donor. Pull the drive from yours and plug it into the donor machine. ( or even just boot the new machine from your old drive in an external caddy and redeploy it).

Its likely that you fried something when the spill happened although they are fairly robust in this regard.

Dismantling the macbook and giving it a good cleaning with some isopropyl alcohol will force out any remaining moisture and ungum any shorts.

If nothing was damaged and the machine shutdown in time its probably going to fire back up.
    musicMagpie sell refurb macbook pros - get one from there and transfer hardrive

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I was just thinking about your next challange

What are you going to connect the drive up to when the enclosure comes, another mac or pc?
    What version of OS X was the damaged Mac on and what version of os are you going to connect it too?

I hope nothing else! Got another mac with High Sierra. The old one was updated fairly recently His Sierra as well I think.
    Surely that's not going to be an issue?
    The way they show in online it looks easy. To be fair the issue so far was I was not able to find the right connector.
    I really hope things go smoothly. The enclosure should be delivered today.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    musicMagpie sell refurb macbook pros - get one from there and transfer hardrive
    Thanks for that. I'm hoping this works. If not, will have a look at getting a refurb MacBook.

Master
    Mac to Mac on high sierra should be okay, the filesystem format changed at that version I believe so ant earlier it might have become more of a challenge

Craftsman
    Surely buying another laptop and swapping out the HD's wouldn't work? Even if the hardware was absolutely identical wouldn't there be ID's and other embedded data that wouldn't just transfer over.

I did the same thing with a Dell laptop. It was only exposed to liquid for a few brief seconds but it was dead.

The HD wasn't though so you pull it, install it in an enclosure and connect it as an external drive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Surely buying another laptop and swapping out the HD's wouldn't work? Even if the hardware was absolutely identical wouldn't there be ID's and other embedded data that wouldn't just transfer over.

I did the same thing with a Dell laptop. It was only exposed to liquid for a few brief seconds but it was dead.

The HD wasn't though so you pull it, install it in an enclosure and connect it as an external drive.
    Done it before and it worked fine. However to safeguard your data I’d suggest you boot from it externally then redeploy it to the new machine.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 6th December 2018 at 18:29.

Master

Nope! Still no signs of life!

Got the right enclosure, connected everything. Mac not recognising the older SDD!
    I've reached my limit. Time to call in the experts.
    Is there any chance the SDD was fried in the accident?

There is a power supply cable along with it I thought this wouldn't need a power supply?

Try it. Sometimes it may need it to start spinning.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Try it. Sometimes it may need it to start spinning.
    It's a SDD? Will it need to spin?

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    It's a SDD? Will it need to spin?
    Forgot for a moment. Let me look into it for you. I was looking at the old mechanical hard drives when I was researching when I originally replied.

Did you say you tried to hook up the enclosure plus your removed drive to the same MacBook that the drive was removed from?

Master
    Did you say you tried to hook up the enclosure plus your removed drive to the same MacBook that the drive was removed from?
    Yes, that's what I did. Wife's Windows laptop recognised the enclosure by a name. On the Mac it didn't even register.

Master
    Does your original Macbook ( the one that spillage) power back up?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Yes, that's what I did. Wife's Windows laptop recognised the enclosure by a name. On the Mac it didn't even register.
    Errr didn’t you say you were going to use another Mac?

The one you removed the drive from wouldn’t turn on before you removed the ssd or have I misunderstood?

As per my earlier question you are unlikely to get a Mac drive to mount on windows without additional 3rd party software.

That's what I was confused about also Captain Morgan.

I thought 72bpm you wanted to transfer your hard drive files to another device to save them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Does your original Macbook ( the one that spillage) power back up?
    Err... what does that mean?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Errr didn’t you say you were going to use another Mac?

The one you removed the drive from wouldn’t turn on before you removed the ssd or have I misunderstood?

As per my earlier question you are unlikely to get a Mac drive to mount on windows without additional 3rd party software.
    Yes, I'm using another Mac. I used a Windows laptop to see if there was any other issue. You are correct, it didn't turn on after the spill.

That's what I was confused about also Captain Morgan.

I thought 72bpm you wanted to transfer your hard drive files to another device to save them?
    Yes, that is what I want to do. So my new MacBook didn't recognise the old one's SSD as an external drive, whereas the windows recognised it as 'something' is connected!

I was hoping it will be as simple as connecting the old SSD via USB so that it comes up as an external drive and transfer the data. Clearly Mac will not make it that easy!

Does the hard drive have to have any specific drivers so that your other Apple device can read it?

Master
    Does the hard drive have to have any specific drivers so that your other Apple device can read it?
    Not too sure on that one! What they say on youtube videos is that the SSD connected via USB is recognised as an external drive and you just find the relevant folder and copy it. Nothing of that sort happened!

Master
    Have a read throug this, mainly not applicable but the power and disk utility sections might help.

https://appletoolbox.com/2017/03/mac...shooting-tips/

Quote Originally Posted by sweegie View Post
    Looks like you need an NVMe to USB adapter now....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Or know someone with a pc that has a spare NVMe slot - you can buy NVMe cards for PCS that have two connections quite cheaply

Master

Update!

Hello folks, just an update. After giving up on cleaning my MacBook gave it to my local computer guy. The SDD is dead, no chance of recovering the data on it. He's offered to stick a new SDD of the same capacity. all in all I'm £ 360 lighter - both repair and new SDD. Lesson learnt - back up, back up & back up. Now I have a 2 TB NAS and 2 X 5TB external drives! Bit of an overkill, don't want to go through this again. Thank you all for your help.

Sorry to hear that. Was reading up on it yesterday. Has it put you off Apple products?

Master
    Sorry to hear that. Was reading up on it yesterday. Has it put you off Apple products?
    Not exactly. I have bought another Macbook! The advantage I see with Mac is the OS - less malware and virus more stable than Windows. Of course, it is Apple's way or the highway, I can live with that. Apple has removed the Maglock charging and all you get is 4 Thunderbolt ports - not ideal but could be worse! Still in the process of setting it up and getting it to function like my old one! Thanks again.

I feel bad you ended up spending lots in the end to come to some sort of solution.

It wouldn't matter what type of laptop he had. Spilling wine on any computer has a good chance if killing major components.