closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Parmigiani watches

Master

Parmigiani watches

I have a few Rolex, one Omega and a JLC, which in reality is enough for any sane person.

However earlier in the year I had a twitch to buy a PP and in May, the wife and I were on a river cruise up the Danube. This gave me the opportunity to visit 3 shops selling PP (no more Rolex for me) and to be fair, they were absolutely beautiful. I was looking at the traditional circular bodied annual calender models but I decided against them because it was obvious that they would look best with a suit and preferably being protected from the scuffs of normal life by being worn under a nice thick double cuff.

Since retirement, my watches are always worn in the light of day because I tend to roll my sleeves up and this leaves them open to knocks etc. So the bright idea of a PP died on grounds of practicality.

Today, there is a thread on what watch does Prince Charles wear and it seems that it is a Parmigiani Fleurier Toric Chronograph.

I did a bit of surfing and I am quite impressed. They are priced at SS Daytona level but look beautiful in photographs.

So simple question, does anyone have knowledge or experience of the Parmigiani watches ?

I would be interested to know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a few Rolex, one Omega and a JLC, which in reality is enough for any sane person.

However earlier in the year I had a twitch to buy a PP and in May, the wife and I were on a river cruise up the Danube. This gave me the opportunity to visit 3 shops selling PP (no more Rolex for me) and to be fair, they were absolutely beautiful. I was looking at the traditional circular bodied annual calender models but I decided against them because it was obvious that they would look best with a suit and preferably being protected from the scuffs of normal life by being worn under a nice thick double cuff.

Since retirement, my watches are always worn in the light of day because I tend to roll my sleeves up and this leaves them open to knocks etc. So the bright idea of a PP died on grounds of practicality.

Today, there is a thread on what watch does Prince Charles wear and it seems that it is a Parmigiani Fleurier Toric Chronograph.

I did a bit of surfing and I am quite impressed. They are priced at SS Daytona level but look beautiful in photographs.

So simple question, does anyone have knowledge or experience of the Parmigiani watches ?

I would be interested to know.
    Whilst I don't have experience owning one, I would say that they are often discounted heavily in the January sales. I seem to remember Harrods once had the Parmigiani Bugatti watch at half price. Unlike steel Rolex, I would aim to push for a big discount when buying one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Whilst I don't have experience owning one, I would say that they are often discounted heavily in the January sales. I seem to remember Harrods once had the Parmigiani Bugatti watch at half price. Unlike steel Rolex, I would aim to push for a big discount when buying one.
    Yes they are discounted heavily and two year old models can be picked up way below the original price.

Thanks for the tip about the Harrod sale in January, I will keep that in mind.

I’ve had the pleasure of owning three Parmigiani pieces, though only the Pershing CBF remains now. They are massively undervalued on the second hand market for what they are.
    In my opinion they are much nearer, if not matching, the PP or AP level rather than Rolex, which is hardly surprising given Michel Parmigiani’s history restoring many of the pieces in the PP museum.
    The CBF won’t have many fans but suits my desire to have a football themed watch in the collection. The less sporty models ooze class and have a level of detailing and finishing that are way above the level of their often discounted price. All with the added benefit that you’ll be unlikely to see someone else wearing the same watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Parmigiani

I was so close to buying one this year. It was the Metrograph model with the creme de menthe dial colour. 3 times i went into the shop to look and try and decide but the lack of interest and knowledge from the staff put me off. Stunning quality on the watch itself and the bracelet and i still wonder if i made the correct choice walking away. I wouldnt be selling any time so 2nd hand selking value wasnt an issue for me.

Craftsman
    A couple of times I have seen them discounted year round in Bicester village. Unsure which models they were though. Also Bicester is an outlet shopping place so very hit and miss as to what they have available.

Journeyman
    Some lovely looking models, but as idiotic as it is, I just can’t shake the association with cheese. And yes I know the watch ends in “i”.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    A couple of times I have seen them discounted year round in Bicester village. Unsure which models they were though. Also Bicester is an outlet shopping place so very hit and miss as to what they have available.
    Muchas Grascious as they say in Spain. I am not far from there and may well check it out.

The more I see of these watches, the more I like them, superb quality, on a strap and about 39mm/40mm, what's not to like.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Muchas Grascious as they say in Spain. I am not far from there and may well check it out.

The more I see of these watches, the more I like them, superb quality, on a strap and about 39mm/40mm, what's not to like.
    Cant remember name of the shop (its not a parmigiani boutique) but its the only watch retailer there (have a nice selection of ulysse nardin too if that's your thing).

Hi Mick. I have a bunch of Rolexes, a PP 5146 and a PP 5712, among some others. I often wear T-shirts or roll up the sleeves, can't say I've noticed any great damage as a result.

Parmigiani are a very very fine brand, as good as PP but not to my taste personally. But don't let that put you off. In common with all watches which aren't made by either Rolex or PP, they tank in value, so buy s/h or haggle a huge discount.

If you are looking into haute horology, you should look at FP Journe as well. A cut well above both PP and Parmigiani IMHO.

In addition, Laurent Ferrier watches are utterly sublime, again IMHO.
    Last edited by Holsterman; 29th November 2018 at 19:04.

Master

Well, more pics, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Well, more pics, anyway.
    I don't have any pics, but here's a review of my FPJ Octa Automatique (not mine, but, well, you know). Mine's on an aftermarket dark green strap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loCULzeDEYI

I also want (need!) a Chronometre Bleu, a Quantieme Perpetuelle, and a Tourbillon.

And this is the LF I also need.

https://www.williamandson.com/18ct-w...o-rotor-watch/

The chance of me getting hold of any of these are approximately zero, but we can dream.

Master
    I owned this (traded it with Tony on this forum) and it was lovely, actually too nice so I wore it sparingly, hence the trade. Quality is unquestionable and as others have said can be had at a decent discount.

I would say own one once you will not be disappointed.

Fred

Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda Métrographe
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay classy

Mick, not for a man of your calibre.

I nearly made contact for this:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ght=Parmigiani

I did and still find it beautiful. Just sublime.

No more input other than it's just staggeringly gorgeous.

Depends on what Parmigiani model we're talking about. Many are as formal as PP AC models. One can easily get away wearing a very formal piece with polo/shirt/t, shorts, pullover/linen jacket and boat shoes/keds or even sandals. Just make sure it's 40mm plus piece otherwise it'll make you look a bit ahem old fashioned. :)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Beautiful watches with incredible finishing. Hard brand to move if you flip it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Master
    Servicing small brands can be horrendous. Like four to five thousand pounds. And that's not for their top-end stuff.

Craftsman

Old fashioned

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Depends on what Parmigiani model we're talking about. Many are as formal as PP AC models. One can easily get away wearing a very formal piece with polo/shirt/t, shorts, pullover/linen jacket and boat shoes/keds or even sandals. Just make sure it's 40mm plus piece otherwise it'll make you look a bit ahem old fashioned. :)

I think wearing a pullover/linen jacket and boat shoes would probably make you look old fashioned rather than the particular model of Parmigiani you were wearing.

Master
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

The main downside is that most of the models are only rated to 30m so you really do need to be careful when wearing it.

This is the attraction of Rolex, you can just jump off a cliff into the deepest of oceans if the mood so takes you.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    the Pershing CBF
    Lovely watch but where's the mental yellow strap! If you're going Brazilian...go Brazilian!