closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS 25 crystal popped off

PRS 25 crystal popped off

I was going to Everest base camp last week when about 4100m the crystal on my PRS 25 jettisoned itself from the case.
    I was standing completely still at the time so was able to pick up the crystal and push it back into place for safe keeping.

Now were back in Kathmandu I've a bit of time to think about what happened and what to do next.

Guess the pressure in the case was higher than atmosphere and the weak point was the crystal?

Should it have happened with this watch, especially given the name/heritage?

Given I put the crystal back in and put it in my bag will it be in place firmly given the lower pressure in the case than sea level atmosphere?

I'd like to get it "fixed" properly, mostly to get the dust under the crystal out of there.. What would that entail and who could do it?

I'd also like to get the rotor quietened (lubricated) at the same time as it's almost sounded a bid "dry".

Watch is probably about 4 years old and has very little wrist time, mostly due to the horrific noise of the rotor and it being a bit big for my taste.

Thoughts welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    I was going to Everest base camp last week when about 4100m the crystal on my PRS 25 jettisoned itself from the case.
    I was standing completely still at the time so was able to pick up the crystal and push it back into place for safe keeping.

Now were back in Kathmandu I've a bit of time to think about what happened and what to do next.

Guess the pressure in the case was higher than atmosphere and the weak point was the crystal?

Should it have happened with this watch, especially given the name/heritage?

Given I put the crystal back in and put it in my bag will it be in place firmly given the lower pressure in the case than sea level atmosphere?

I'd like to get it "fixed" properly, mostly to get the dust under the crystal out of there.. What would that entail and who could do it?

I'd also like to get the rotor quietened (lubricated) at the same time as it's almost sounded a bid "dry".

Watch is probably about 4 years old and has very little wrist time, mostly due to the horrific noise of the rotor and it being a bit big for my taste.

Thoughts welcome.
    The negative pressure will have caused this, it also happened a couple of times on aircraft with the earlier Everests. The earlier ones had the crystal fitted by compressing it with a crystal tool and then placing it in the case where it returned to the original size once released and this held it in place (usually). The later ones don't do this and the sapphire ones are fitted completely differently. If you've got the crystal, you can safely pop it back in.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Crystal is back in place and had held this week

There is a bit of dust underneath shock of like removed if not too much trouble.

Could you recommend anyone?

I had one that developed a defect so replaced it myself, they are pressure fit with no gasket at least mine didn't have one.

Great Watch none the less and I will have another.

36mm I will be buying.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    Crystal is back in place and had held this week

There is a bit of dust underneath shock of like removed if not too much trouble.

Could you recommend anyone?
    Try Duncan the Watch Bloke

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app