closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tudor - the new Rolex

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    You prefer the BB58 size? To be honest the GMT at 41mm sits very nicely on the wrist !
    I think like many i find it to be too tall for its style.

Craftsman
    Really like the look of this one but unfortunately at 42mm, it's just a bit too big for me

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    For me the jury is still out on the Tudor brand.

On one hand it's quite an exciting prospect that Rolex can use Tudor to experiment and have an outlet for interesting ideas with great build quality. The Black Bay Bronze is a phenomenal watch - though a shame it's a little too big for me.

On the other hand, my last sentence is the other side of the coin. Tudor, to me at the moment, is an outlet for what is fashionable - at the moment that is nostalgia and rather large watches (with the exception of the BB58). The trouble is that when these things go out of fashion, it'll hurt resale value and probably sit in the watchbox rather unworn.

It's hard to say what Tudor will look like in 5-10 years, but I do know i'm destined to pick up a second hand BB58 when the 2nd hand value has softened on them.

Affordable = poor man’s. basically it’s an equivalent of Skoda or Seat in the watch sector.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Affordable = poor man’s. basically it’s an equivalent of Skoda or Seat in the watch sector.
    That's cruel, I'd say Alfa v Ferrari or Bentley v Roller.

Blog Entries
    Affordable == Affordable (depends how much you can afford)

Journeyman
    Who doesn’t love the wreck that is car analogies and watches. Anyways... I’d say a better metaphor within the VAG marques would be...

Rolex - Audi. A luxury brand, some models can be afforded by most (although might take a bit of saving) although not operating in the same sphere of exclusivity as say haute horological which would be Bentley.
    Tudor - VW. Much more obtainable, sharing the same tech as it’s sister brands, with aspirations to go more up market.
    Last edited by Oafley Jones; 29th November 2018 at 17:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    For me the jury is still out on the Tudor brand.

On one hand it's quite an exciting prospect that Rolex can use Tudor to experiment and have an outlet for interesting ideas with great build quality. The Black Bay Bronze is a phenomenal watch - though a shame it's a little too big for me.

On the other hand, my last sentence is the other side of the coin. Tudor, to me at the moment, is an outlet for what is fashionable - at the moment that is nostalgia and rather large watches (with the exception of the BB58). The trouble is that when these things go out of fashion, it'll hurt resale value and probably sit in the watchbox rather unworn.

It's hard to say what Tudor will look like in 5-10 years, but I do know i'm destined to pick up a second hand BB58 when the 2nd hand value has softened on them.
    I hope the bb58 is the start of a line with with case size and hopefully some modern crisp designs. If they do that the bb small case size line will cover all basis. The Pelagos and north flag are modern so in a way they have that angle covered.

As the owner of a Tudor Harrods BB, Tudor Bucherer BB and Tudor ETA BBN, once again I shall sleep soundly in my bed tonight knowimg this to be the case...

I quite like the 58, but the tattooed imbecile David Beckham puts me right off the brand, and I already have several "old skool" Rolexes.

I prefer Tudor's offerings to the cartoonish and frankly ugly current Rolexes on offer (or not on offer).

Master
    If they build on the 58 and smaller movement by adding a GMT at a similar size, and then upgrade the BB36 and Ranger (whilst reducing its size a bit) with in house movements, they’ll be well on the way to something special. A 39-40mm slim chronograph might be a step too far, but here’s hoping.

I’d also like to see an in-house day date around 38-39mm and more effort put into the dressier ranges.

I certainly see them putting in a strong challenge to Omega and Breitling for that market position below Rolex in the next few years. With the association with Rolex, if continued to be marketed well, they can plant themselves strongly in the consumer’s mind.

I imagine Tudor sales/demand have benefited tremendously from the lack of availability of professional Rolex models.

"I'm afraid you won't get a Sub for a least a year sir, but may I show you this lovely Tudor Black Bay? Made by Rolex, you know, sir."

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I do like the snowflake chrono. The smaller hour hand is much better proportioned than the regular BBs.

Craftsman
    Be interesting to see if prices rise year on year once they reach the market share they need to be able to “get away with it”. I’m sure once they reach it the prices will rise
    And they'll adopt the same irritating marketing strategy that the parent company does, which worked for them so why shouldn't it work for Tudor? 2 year waiting lists for a BB GMT (yawn).

Can see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    And they'll adopt the same irritating marketing strategy that the parent company does, which worked for them so why shouldn't it work for Tudor? 2 year waiting lists for a BB GMT (yawn).

Can see it now.
    Tbh I don’t think the wait for the gmt was planned. I don’t think they quite expected the interest to be at the silly level it reached post Basel

Craftsman
    Tbh I don’t think the wait for the gmt was planned. I don’t think they quite expected the interest to be at the silly level it reached post Basel
    That's a fair comment.

Master

The problems with the date function has also delayed deliveries lately. It wont be a rare watch with any waiting lists.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    The problems with the date function has also delayed deliveries lately. It wont be a rare watch with any waiting lists.
    In time agreed, but for now its a case of working through backlog

Master
    Tbh I think Rolex are still the Rolex of watches. Tudor are doing a lot of things right though, and their styling maybe be more reminiscent of Rolex designs of 10-20 years ago but they bring out too many variations on models. Holding a Rolex and a Tudor together I still do think the Rolex takes the cake when it comes to build quality.

I dont buy that Rolex aren't tool watches anymore, they are if you want them to be. They are also a status symbol if you want them to be. That hasn't changed in decades.

I just don’t see it as competition between them. Branding doesn’t beguile me or maybe I would own Rolex instead of Tudor. I like the styling better which is why I own them no other reason . do I feel “lesser” or “ruled” in any way - of course not.
    It's not a competition between them. Far from it - it's a very savvy collaboration.
    As for branding not beguiling you... Well... it does...it just does. You. Me. Everybody - especially those who resist the notion that they are affected by marketing - that's the marketeers ideal target.

Tudor is Tudor. Not the new rolex.

The new rolex will be rolex the old rolex was rolex and the current rolex is rolex.

Thank goodness that, along with the default, there are choices. This is a fantastic hobby if enjoyed.

Craftsman

Tudor - the new Rolex

I went into Goldsmiths 2 years ago with every intention of getting a Sub, an Oris TT1 being at the time my ‘grown up’ watch. I had the Tudor BB Blue in my hands while they got the sub for me, and although the quality difference was obvious when I had them side by side, something twanged and I bought the BB and love it. The blue is such a stunning addition, it to my eyes made the black sub look bland.

Slightly off topic, but I took the change from the BB to the Sub and got a Sinn 956 (cream) to sit along side it. This choice made the Tudor, for me, a purchase of the heart and the head at the same time. I would now give up neither of these watches for a sub. But again, that’s personal choice.
    Last edited by tobetobes; 29th November 2018 at 22:22.

Craftsman
    Although I should probably mention here that I got the 956 as I couldn’t afford the lovely creamy IWC Portugieser chrono I really wanted. *ahem*

Blog Entries
    I just don’t see it as competition between them. Branding doesn’t beguile me or maybe I would own Rolex instead of Tudor. I like the styling better which is why I own them no other reason . do I feel “lesser” or “ruled” in any way - of course not.
    Lovely collection there Sir!

I have the potential for two now...

Master

Tudor - the new Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post
    Really like the look of this one but unfortunately at 42mm, it's just a bit too big for me

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Without meaning to derail this thread, that is utterly lovely. If it were 38mm I recon it might just be the perfect every day watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Lovely collection there Sir!

I have the potential for two now...
    Thanks. Which two tho?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    I’d agree with this, last thing I would wish is all the ‘hype’ that surrounds Rolex. I like them just the way they are; high quality, affordable and generally available.

I’ve spent some time this summer searching for a GMT and BB58 to view/try on. Eventually succeeded and both are great, but ended up getting a North Flag...

I think this demonstrates that Tudor can be original, not just producing yet another diver.

The North Flag is a fantastic watch and rarely comes off my wrist.
    "’d agree with this, last thing I would wish is all the ‘hype’ that surrounds Rolex. I like them just the way they are; high quality, affordable and generally available." Well said hit the nail on the head.

Craftsman

Rolex vintage homage

My concern with Tudor is that they become nothing more than just affordable homage pieces to the Rolex back catalogue. Maybe nothing wrong it that but not sure you can keep a strong separate brand identity if that is the route you remain on and become tagged with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    My concern with Tudor is that they become nothing more than just affordable homage pieces to the Rolex back catalogue. Maybe nothing wrong it that but not sure you can keep a strong separate brand identity if that is the route you remain on and become tagged with.
    Who cares about the brand identity? Seems people are conditioned these days to worry about the success of the company and how they’ll be perceived by others. It’s a watch, you buy what you like the look of surely?

Seeing people write about brand identity and worrying about David Beckham or whether people will think it’s a poor man’s Rolex just boggles my mind. It’s a watch, like a Rolex, Seiko, Timex, Casio... buy what you like and you will enjoy and that’s all that matters.

My next purchase is going to be a Lorus! Why? Because it looks great (not that I thought I’d ever say that from my previous experience) for a cheap beater. Some of the snobs on here wouldn’t wish a Lorus on their mother in law! But they’ve got to worry about their finance payments on their sports ROLECKS and their Range Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Who cares about the brand identity? Seems people are conditioned these days to worry about the success of the company and how they’ll be perceived by others. It’s a watch, you buy what you like the look of surely?

Seeing people write about brand identity and worrying about David Beckham or whether people will think it’s a poor man’s Rolex just boggles my mind. It’s a watch, like a Rolex, Seiko, Timex, Casio... buy what you like and you will enjoy and that’s all that matters.

My next purchase is going to be a Lorus! Why? Because it looks great (not that I thought I’d ever say that from my previous experience) for a cheap beater. Some of the snobs on here wouldn’t wish a Lorus on their mother in law! But they’ve got to worry about their finance payments on their sports ROLECKS and their Range Rover.
    👍

Craftsman

Condition

Luckily that is why forums like this exist too ensure we don’t become conditioned to what the Hodinkee or GQ style bible informs us are the must have or cool to wear watches etc but on the topic of Tudor, this was a brand that had disappeared from the market and whether correct or not was regarded as a poor Rolex substitute, they have returned to the market with some success on the back of historical references but I do not think that a brand can live on that alone.

Panerai are an example of a one trick pony who enjoyed phenomenal success based on historical pieces but now they are just holding their own in a saturated marketplace and it would a shame for Tudor after all the efforts to return to the market that they too find it difficult to grow after the homage moment in the sun starts to fade in fashion.
    Last edited by Flasher; 30th November 2018 at 09:34. Reason: Error

I agree.

I remember going into an AD in December 2014. At the time I had 3 Rolex. I came out with a Pelagos, because that is what I wanted at the time and had no interest in the Hulk, BLNR or white dial 116520 that were also sat in the window at the time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Which two tho?
    I have a new BB58 all tucked up in it's coffin - just pondering whether to keep it or let it go... do I need a simple three hander?? Already have the BBGMT

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I agree.

I remember going into an AD in December 2014. At the time I had 3 Rolex. I came out with a Pelagos, because that is what I wanted at the time and had no interest in the Hulk, BLNR or white dial 116520 that were also sat in the window at the time.
    I’d just wear it and give it a true road test. Doubt it would impact value much if at all if you wear it or don’t

Craftsman
    I have a new BB58 all tucked up in it's coffin - just pondering whether to keep it or let it go... do I need a simple three hander?? Already have the BBGMT

Martyn
    Definitely wear it. Great watches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    Definitely wear it. Great watches.
    It's ok I guess. .. quick and dirty shot..

I’d just wear it and give it a true road test. Doubt it would impact value much if at all if you wear it or don’t
    I think you meant to quote Martyn, not me.

If I buy a watch it’s because, well I want to wear it. Not sure I would buy a watch that I wasn’t sure I wanted to wear. Seems rather strange to me.

If I buy a watch it’s because, well I want to wear it. Not sure I would buy a watch that I wasn’t sure I wanted to wear. Seems rather strange to me.
    Yes sorry was for Martyn

Yes sorry was for Martyn
    No need to apologise Rusty.

As I know that like me, you are a fan of Tudor, here is another one. Now if only they would do a version half way between the size of this and the current bloated model...

Blog Entries

Not my usual manoeuvre, but did it in this case as they are in short supply, so was think of the TZ collective and short circuit the list for someone.

No need to apologise Rusty.

As I know that like me, you are a fan of Tudor, here is another one. Now if only they would do a version half way between the size of this and the current bloated model...
    Yes the modern advisor does nothing for me. That’s a lovely piece in your pic tho

Craftsman
    It's ok I guess. .. quick and dirty shot..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Love the original Advisor. Shame the reissue was super sized.

And the bb36 is the new explorer

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using TZ-UK mobile app

Going back some years (1997) my son received a used two tone date just lookalike for a birthday from his grandfather (my dad). It was a Tudor. At that time being quite knowledgeable (so I mistakenly thought) about watches I inwardly thought “cheap Rolex”.
    My son treasured that watch and has it today. He has (advisedly) not immersed himself in the madness of this “hobby”. He has an objectivity however on the worth (high) of the Tudor brand.
    Wind forward to this year. Through this forum I am now enjoying both BB red and Pelagos black.
    I was influenced by raised brand profile but more importantly the integrity of the design and the movement.
    These two models are part of the well established Tudor catalogue and not the latest thing.
    In my opinion as established models they are faring well and I expect to continue to enjoy wearing them for the foreseeable.
    In my mind no longer “cheap Rolex” but independently worthy. I also look at my son’s watch differently; as a stepping stone in the brands history.
    So I agree “not the new Rolex” but the evolving Tudor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 1st decent watch was, and still is, a Tudor 79190. Far better value than the Rolex model. It cost me £650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I quite like the 58, but the tattooed imbecile David Beckham puts me right off the brand, and I already have several "old skool" Rolexes.

I prefer Tudor's offerings to the cartoonish and frankly ugly current Rolexes on offer (or not on offer).
    Agree, was flying from LHR T2 on Friday with the harrods watch shop thing & his mug greeting me as I walked in. Nothing of any mention in the Rolex stand / pop up either....certainly not the explorer I was hoping on an outside chance I’d grab for my wife.

Off topic, but she was a legend in that shop. Sales lady said something along the lines of ‘we have a lot of choice, have you looked at these’ .....bringing out some of the OP ladies, to which my wife replied ‘aren’t they just the ones you can’t sell as easily’......I was so proud, as she clearly knows what she wants!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ate-2011-11-17)

I really liked the look of the heritage chrono. Is it just me or does the diminutive movement hiding in the case put you off?
    Last edited by Russ; 3rd December 2018 at 12:11.