closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Royal Mail special delivery - Lost watch, sorry we’re not paying!!!

Royal Mail special delivery - Lost watch, sorry we’re not paying!!!

Pretty much what it says, just wondered if anyone else on here has had any similar experiences?

Sent the watch back to Green’s watch services, for a small warrenty repair. It’s one of their G10 Pro Divers.

Several weeks later after I assumed the watch was being repaired I hadn’t heard anything. Thought I’d best enquire with Green’s, just thought I’d briefly check the tracking number to see when the watch was delivered, turns out apparently the watch is still in transit. My local post office’s take on it is: Sorry, we don’t insure jewellery. We can refund you the postage though. Kind of strange, seeing as how the lady at the post office counter that day told me it was, and even charged me extra to insure the watch past the basic rate, and up to £500!

Thanks in advance if anyone can provide and insight into this...

Master
    Stating the obvious but you would have been insured for whatever amount you insured it for- Only sticking point might be the amount of time that has lapsed without you registering a claim with the PO?

Blog Entries
    Can of course only speak for Austria, but it's the same over here - Austrian post doesn't insure jewellery.
    Which is why I went and found myself a small company which explicitly insures watches and express ships them - costs more, but not having to worry is definitely worth it.

RMSD is insured to £500 as standard so that's the first PO fail. The second fail is that they do in fact insure watches, up to £2,500 with the extra premium.

You should also have tracking all the way at every depot with RMSD.

You need to contact Royal Mail, not the local PO, but I think they state you can't claim until 28 days has passed since posting. Just get in touch with them.

Do you trust your local PO?

Master
    Pm me the tracking I’ll see what I can find out tomorrow

Submit a claim using the link below.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/webforms/claim

Master
    I have heard this before about not insuring watches, I did read that some couriers will happily take your money for insurance but their terms and conditions state certain things aren’t covered and it makes the insurance totally void.

I have personally experienced this with a seller who sent me something recorded delivery and it didn’t turn up. I contacted him and he got the hump and told me they don’t cover Watch parts in their insurance.

You may get lucky and it’ll turn up eventually though. I have had this with RM where something was sat for a month ‘missing’ just saying in process or something. Then one day it randomly appeared.

Master
    https://www.royalmail.com/personal/u...ecial-delivery

"Choose our guaranteed service when you need:

compensation cover for sending jewellery, cash or other valuables"

Not sure how they are trying to dodge liability!

Master
    If you told them it was a watch and they charged you extra to cover, and then say it's not covered, it's fraud in my book

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    If you told them it was a watch and they charged you extra to cover, and then say it's not covered, it's fraud in my book

...or mis-selling?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    ...or mis-selling?
    Probably a better way of putting it

Their unhelpful 'help desk' are unbelievable. I returned a Watch last Friday to Amazon in the US by International Tracked and Signed For. The tracking shows that it was collected, received by the Chester sorting office and sent on to Heathrow for international shipping.

That's were it ends and that was 5 days ago. I rang and spoke to a guy who seemed sympathetic and offered to transfer me to the International section. All I got was a wait 25 working days speech and claim in the New Year if no sign. He didn't seem to appreciate that the whole point of paying for tracking was to progress the item through its journey.

This guy was an absolute idiot and wouldn't engage in any conversation other than the script in front of him. It was like listening to a politician. So my returned watch has either been stolen or is taking the scenic route from Chester to London, via Aberdeen perhaps.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Only time I had to claim was when I sent a speaker back to Amazon Italy and it ended up in chilli !

I had to wait a while but did get the amount refunded.

That always ask what's in the package. Do you have to answer this? If not I won't disclose in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post

In my experience , I am asked what is in the package when requesting to send something by this method and have never been told that a watch was excluded from the ts and Cs .

I've had this discussion about watches being jewellery with Post Office staff before. Luckily the Royal Mail website makes it quite clear:

"Our definition of jewellery includes: any precious metal that has been manufactured in such a way as to add value to the raw material, including coins used for ornament;

diamonds and precious stones
    watches - the cases of which are made wholly or mainly of precious metal
    similar articles with an intrinsic value other than the value of the workmanship."

Here: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...lery-in-the-uk

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Only time I had to claim was when I sent a speaker back to Amazon Italy and it ended up in chilli !
    I'd have made mincemeat out of them.

Craftsman
    I'm still fighting Parcelforce for a claim o a parcel they lost in August ! I insured it correctly and have provided everything they ask but still they ask for more info and proof . Last one was "can you prove the receiver didn't get it " I'm not giving up though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Their unhelpful 'help desk' are unbelievable. I returned a Watch last Friday to Amazon in the US by International Tracked and Signed For. The tracking shows that it was collected, received by the Chester sorting office and sent on to Heathrow for international shipping.

That's were it ends and that was 5 days ago. I rang and spoke to a guy who seemed sympathetic and offered to transfer me to the International section. All I got was a wait 25 working days speech and claim in the New Year if no sign. He didn't seem to appreciate that the whole point of paying for tracking was to progress the item through its journey.

This guy was an absolute idiot and wouldn't engage in any conversation other than the script in front of him. It was like listening to a politician. So my returned watch has either been stolen or is taking the scenic route from Chester to London, via Aberdeen perhaps.
    Have you tried tracking it on the USPS site and changing the GB in the number to US? I could be wrong but I think RM only tracks within the UK and then you have to use the receiving countries carrier to track it for the remainder of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I'm still fighting Parcelforce for a claim o a parcel they lost in August ! I insured it correctly and have provided everything they ask but still they ask for more info and proof . Last one was "can you prove the receiver didn't get it " I'm not giving up though
    That's one that a senior Parcelforce Manager needs to explain, as I suspect only a pre-registered death certificate for the receiver - will suffice.

Good luck with it.

First of all, I apologise. I think I’m having a problem with notifications, hadn’t received any and thought my thread was lost in the ether! Thanks for all the replies and help, just had a quick scan at work, but will sit down and read everything tonight properly and reply. Thanks guys!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I've had this discussion about watches being jewellery with Post Office staff before. Luckily the Royal Mail website makes it quite clear:

"Our definition of jewellery includes: any precious metal that has been manufactured in such a way as to add value to the raw material, including coins used for ornament;

diamonds and precious stones
    watches - the cases of which are made wholly or mainly of precious metal
    similar articles with an intrinsic value other than the value of the workmanship."

Here: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...lery-in-the-uk
    So only precious metal watches are covered? I’d always assumed watches were covered, as, I’m sure, do most of the dealers and watch repairers on here.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Have you tried tracking it on the USPS site and changing the GB in the number to US? I could be wrong but I think RM only tracks within the UK and then you have to use the receiving countries carrier to track it for the remainder of the journey.
    Thank you, yes and I have registered to get e-mail updates from USPS if it starts to move. At present it is showing the same as RM - on its way to Heathrow (from last Friday!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    So only precious metal watches are covered? I’d always assumed watches were covered, as, I’m sure, do most of the dealers and watch repairers on here.
    No - only watches that are made of precious metal are classed as jewellery. Other watches are just watches - not jewellery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    No - only watches that are made of precious metal are classed as jewellery. Other watches are just watches - not jewellery.
    Exactly. Not that post office staff know this. Or I'm more inclined to belive they do know this, but are trained to assume the customer doesn't, and hence try to sell you a more expensive service. I'm always being told that even a £10 HMT has to go RMSD if I want any cover.. Got to the point that I've a screenshot of the T&Cs to show them each time.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Well, if your favourite music was hot disco tunes that might actually enhance the listening experience...

I contacted Royal Mail the same day, still waiting to hear back. If I've nothing by today, I think I’ll try shooting off another email on Monday. Thanks for the link to the definitions of watches as opposed to jewellery, that should help if I have to claim locally!
    I think the lapse of time isn't a problem, admittedly this is my fault, I thought the warrently repair was going smoothly as previously discussed with Green's, I’m terrible and just kept on forgetting to check. Do I trust them? No, they're seen locally as pretty much incompetent and their reputation isn't the best. As for fraud, yes I'd pretty much agree with that! I think it's pretty outrageous.
    Thanks Lewie, I assume you work for Royal Mail?

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm a lot better armed than I was before!

I’ve first hand experience of this. The Royal Mail lost a watch sent Special Delivery. They paid out the full £500 as the watch was valued at £550. I was happy enough although should have taken the extra insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    I contacted Royal Mail the same day, still waiting to hear back. If I've nothing by today, I think I’ll try shooting off another email on Monday. Thanks for the link to the definitions of watches as opposed to jewellery, that should help if I have to claim locally!
    I think the lapse of time isn't a problem, admittedly this is my fault, I thought the warrently repair was going smoothly as previously discussed with Green's, I’m terrible and just kept on forgetting to check. Do I trust them? No, they're seen locally as pretty much incompetent and their reputation isn't the best. As for fraud, yes I'd pretty much agree with that! I think it's pretty outrageous.
    Thanks Lewie, I assume you work for Royal Mail?

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm a lot better armed than I was before!
    Yes I do

I've made two claims for lost watches (in 20 years) and got paid out. They make you jump through hoops but they do pay out if you persist.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Thank you, yes and I have registered to get e-mail updates from USPS if it starts to move. At present it is showing the same as RM - on its way to Heathrow (from last Friday!!!).
    Update: just had an e-Mail from USPS, the parcel has arrived at a distribution centre in Illinois. Thank Christ for that!!

Shame the muppets at the Royal Mail couldn't confirm that the item was working its way through Heathrow for shipping to the US.

Thanks Lewie, very kind of you. I’ll PM you.

Another email shot off yesterday to Royal Mail, but not heard anything back yet. No reply as yet to the first one either.

Thanks Eddie, it’s a relief to hear that. I know it’s not an expensive watch as such, but I did like it and would like to replace it hopefully.