closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 158

Thread: Will the PRS-3 return?

  1. #101
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    21,851
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    No.

    Eddie
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  2. #102
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    154
    Any news now?

  3. #103
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,697
    Still no.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    A bit of a tweak.

    The other thread alerted me to the fact I haven't been keeping up with this at all. If these come out well, I will definitely be in line for one. I'm "that guy" who bought a CWC quartz reissue in spite of the price. Largely because the aged lume on the bezel matching the dial and hands makes it look rather nice indeed. I didn't care about whether it looks "vintage" or not, I just prefer the softer amber colour to the standard, slightly angry-looking green. Since I bought that one to mark a special date I have to be a bit careful with it, so I'm on the lookout for something similar to wear more frequently as I am a big fan of this design. But not too similar, as I don't want two nearly-identical watches.

    For that reason I really like the idea of the blue version. I wonder what other people think about the green lume on the blue dial though? Doesn't look great to me. What's the state-of-the-art these days when it comes to pure white superluminova? The stuff on my Kemmner Octopus seems pretty good. I think that would look perfect with the blue. It would also stop the white date wheel looking so out of place. The hands and bezel lume would need to match of course.

    Also wondering, given the plans to expand the Smiths brand, what this would look like with the plain SMITHS text on the dial? Hmm...

  5. #105
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,105
    Seem to have missed this one! Like the designs, would probably prefer date only or plain dial. Like the DLC with blue dial/bezel option best at the moment.

    Missed getting one of the original PRS3 - not really sure why - and this would be a good addition.

  6. #106
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    75
    Perhaps the blue & yellow versions should have C1 or better yet, BGW-9 lume?

    And I'd keep the Precista brand & logo. I like it. And it has legitimate history. That, and boobies would look silly on an MoD dialed mil-diver.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    Perhaps the blue & yellow versions should have C1 or better yet, BGW-9 lume?

    And I'd keep the Precista brand & logo. I like it. And it has legitimate history. That, and boobies would look silly on an MoD dialed mil-diver.
    They didnít look silly on a RAF-issued 6B.

    Agreed though that the PRS-3 is a great watch. I like Monin cased divers.

  8. #108
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    410
    What updates are there on the PRS-3.

  9. #109
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Stuck in 1996
    Posts
    12,041
    I still think Version A (black dial and bezel) is the ultimate, perfect dive watch and I will definitely be in line to buy one even it it means selling sperm, a kidney or a child.

  10. #110
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    154
    I can't decide between version a or b. I think with the dial configuration I'd go b but if it was no date a

  11. #111
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    154
    Is there any news on this one? Or perhaps is there an estimates schedule or release order list for anything upcoming?

    Like

    1st. Expedition
    2nd. Speedbird
    3rd. Caribbean
    4th. PRS-3

    Many Thanks

  12. #112
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,283
    Dear Eddie
    I know you have a lot going on right now, but is there any progress on the new 3. or any ideas what, if any, timetable will apply to this model?
    Thanks
    Dave

  13. #113
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,697
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Dear Eddie
    I know you have a lot going on right now, but is there any progress on the new 3. or any ideas what, if any, timetable will apply to this model?
    Thanks
    Dave
    I wanted to use an ETA quartz for this model and I was going to start it last month until the manufacturer came back and said ETA had raised the minimum order quantity for quartz movements to 1,000. There's no way I'm taking 1,000 pieces so it's back to the drawing board with the Ronda 715Li.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  14. #114
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,283
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I wanted to use an ETA quartz for this model and I was going to start it last month until the manufacturer came back and said ETA had raised the minimum order quantity for quartz movements to 1,000. There's no way I'm taking 1,000 pieces so it's back to the drawing board with the Ronda 715Li.

    Eddie
    Thanks for the update. 1,000? They really do not want to supply you, do they?
    The Ronda is great in terms of battery life (10 years), but it is also date only, isn't it?

  15. #115
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,697
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Thanks for the update. 1,000? They really do not want to supply you, do they?
    The Ronda is great in terms of battery life (10 years), but it is also date only, isn't it?
    It's not me they don't want to supply, it's my manufacturer. This surprises me because he manufactures for quite a few microbrands and his demand for movements is high. I thought we might have been able to split the order with some other microbrands but nobody else is currently using this movement. Yes, the Ronda is date only but it's no big deal.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  16. #116
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    154
    Would there be a no date option?

  17. #117
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coulsdon
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I wanted to use an ETA quartz for this model and I was going to start it last month until the manufacturer came back and said ETA had raised the minimum order quantity for quartz movements to 1,000. There's no way I'm taking 1,000 pieces so it's back to the drawing board with the Ronda 715Li.

    Eddie
    Stupid question - but I'll ask anyway - what about a Seiko NH36 and go the automatic route?

  18. #118
    Master James_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    1,256
    Sellita SW220-1 instead of quartz?

    http://sellita.ch/index.php/en/movements

  19. #119
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,697
    Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Sellita SW220-1 instead of quartz?

    http://sellita.ch/index.php/en/movements
    There's a one year waiting list for this and it would take the watch outside the target price.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  20. #120
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coulsdon
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There's a one year waiting list for this and it would take the watch outside the target price.

    Eddie
    But would the Seiko NH36 be a possibility?

    I think they're about £100 per movement cheaper aren't they(?) - and are known for being robust.

    I ask because I was looking at a Seiko SRP775K1 as, due to this lock-down, I'm really beginning to like Day/Date complications - and it was at a very good price.

    However, PRS-3, with the same movement, is a LOT more preferable.
    Last edited by KAS118; 7th April 2020 at 11:59.

  21. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There's a one year waiting list for this and it would take the watch outside the target price.

    Eddie
    Agreed! I had to change my mind just because of this long process..

  22. #122
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    14
    Really hope that this project still comes to life as the design is cracking.

    Amongst other things, love the fact that its 39mm and quartz.

    The same movement as the PRS-10 (Ronda 715Li) with 10-year battery life would be brilliant.

  23. #123
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    154
    I'd be more than happy with an Seiko NH36 movement or a Seiko quartz if it's available. Or a not date version with the movement in the prs-10. Personally I don't think a just date version would look right, day date or no date would be great 👍

  24. #124
    Casting my vote for blue dial & bezel, white superluminova, quartz movement, no date. Making it a no-date variant solves the problem of not having a DOW complication. It also looks better.

    I'm one of those people who does frequently refer to the date on my watch, but I strongly prefer how these look without it. It's not only a question of symmetry, it also causes you to lose 1 (out of 3) numerals on the dial. Which is more disruptive than just losing an index marker.

  25. #125
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,283
    Surely the gap in the Timefactors range that this is intended to fill demands a quartz movement.

    There are currently a few automatic divers for sale on the site (the 82, the Sewills and the Voyager pring to mind) and the Caribbean is also planned as an auto.
    With the selling out of the PRS-18, there are no quartz divers left in the range.

    I can understand that it's really hard for Eddie to decide how to best cover the right range here. The composite already shows 8 case/dial variations, and these are all with date. To offer them all with non-date as well makes 16 variations, an impossibly broad range for a brand this size to carry in stock for a single model.

    I too would prefer a non-date, and if (as it seems) it is to be date only (not day-date as shown), perhaps it should be at 6 for symmetry.

    But I sympathise with the choices that have to be made.

  26. #126
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coulsdon
    Posts
    996
    Hmmm 樂 I just think 'versions' of this have already been done in Quartz and/or Auto form with or without date (and by that I'm including the PRS-3/3-LE, PRS-14 and PRS-18) whereas a Day Date hasn't been.

    Indeed, I'm not sure if they has been any TimeFactors watch with a Day/Date Dial?

    Call it the PRS-3DD (which obviously has a nod towards amphibian tank with a Duplex Drive ).

    I could understand the concern of a loss of a numeral (which would be the same for a Date version) if it were lumed, but I don't believe it is - so you're only using a small 'lumed' marker - however, if it was a concern leave the '3' numeral there and drop the day/date window down to the 4 position? (Although personally I like it where it is).

    I personally hope its a competitively priced mechanical watch and not a quartz - as the PRS-18 was out recently - and I would have thought that the Caribbean's 9015 Movement is now in high demand and will not be as competitively priced as was once possible.
    Last edited by KAS118; 12th April 2020 at 14:45.

  27. #127
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,043
    How about a quartz movement with the appearance of a mechanical movement (e.g. like the ISA9500-1010 thatís in the PRS-37)?

    I think itís far more interesting and distinctive than a regular quartz movement.
    Last edited by Dougal; 13th April 2020 at 19:10.

  28. #128
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    How about a quartz movement with the appearance of a mechanical movement (e.g. like the ISA9500-1010 thatís in the PRS-37)?

    I think itís far more interesting and distinctive than a regular quartz movement.
    That movement is no longer available. It looks like I'll be going with the 715Li to keep it under £200 as opposed to similar models at £699.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  29. #129
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That movement is no longer available.
    What a shame! I love my PRS-37.

  30. #130
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Surely the gap in the Timefactors range that this is intended to fill demands a quartz movement.

    There are currently a few automatic divers for sale on the site (the 82, the Sewills and the Voyager pring to mind) and the Caribbean is also planned as an auto.
    With the selling out of the PRS-18, there are no quartz divers left in the range.

    I can understand that it's really hard for Eddie to decide how to best cover the right range here. The composite already shows 8 case/dial variations, and these are all with date. To offer them all with non-date as well makes 16 variations, an impossibly broad range for a brand this size to carry in stock for a single model.

    I too would prefer a non-date, and if (as it seems) it is to be date only (not day-date as shown), perhaps it should be at 6 for symmetry.

    But I sympathise with the choices that have to be made.

    I'm not sure Eddie was going to release all 8 versions initially. My suggestion would be version a and b both just no date and see how they sell. I know I'd by one 👍

  31. #131
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,283
    Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    I'm not sure Eddie was going to release all 8 versions initially. My suggestion would be version a and b both just no date and see how they sell. I know I'd by one 
    I am certain Eddie will be making a selection of the ones shown, but I severely doubt B will be one of the first on his list. The yellow PRS3-LE was the last to go, it was in stock for ages before selling out relatively recently. Did you mean A in steel and PVD?

    D

  32. #132
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coulsdon
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That movement is no longer available. It looks like I'll be going with the 715Li to keep it under £200 as opposed to similar models at £699.

    Eddie
    No Auto then ☹️

    The NH36 only costs approximately £30-35; so you could probably offer an Auto Watch for £250 which compares VERY favourably with the CWC's which vary from £899 to an eye-watering £1,999.

  33. #133
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I am certain Eddie will be making a selection of the ones shown, but I severely doubt B will be one of the first on his list. The yellow PRS3-LE was the last to go, it was in stock for ages before selling out relatively recently. Did you mean A in steel and PVD?

    D
    Yes you're right I just looked again at the pictures A in steel and PVD no date if it's under £200 I'd be tempted to buy both! Yellow dials aren't my cup of tea

  34. #134
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That movement is no longer available. It looks like I'll be going with the 715Li to keep it under £200 as opposed to similar models at £699.

    Eddie
    Brilliant news. Thanks Eddie. That works for me. Happy days. :-)

  35. #135
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,105
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That movement is no longer available. It looks like I'll be going with the 715Li to keep it under £200 as opposed to similar models at £699.

    Eddie
    That is a great price point and makes it very accessible. Looking forward to this one - like I need another diver!

  36. #136
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    6

    Automatic Version

    What I always missed at CWC was an automatic version of the SBS diver.
    So if you would consider an option for an ETA 2836-2, I am in!

  37. #137
    Master markosgr28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Heraklion, Crete, Greece
    Posts
    3,573
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That movement is no longer available. It looks like I'll be going with the 715Li to keep it under £200 as opposed to similar models at £699.

    Eddie
    Great decision and news. Thanks. Really looking forward to this model.

  38. #138
    Craftsman hako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    No Auto then ☹️

    The NH36 only costs approximately £30-35; so you could probably offer an Auto Watch for £250 which compares VERY favourably with the CWC's which vary from £899 to an eye-watering £1,999.
    Auto would be highly preferable to quartz IMO. At £250 you can consider this as a preorder.

    Why? Bc for a non-diver person wearing a diver is purely about the watch. Not about usability, not about daily convenience, but about the tactile enjoyment. I would not choose a metal diver for climbing, military exercises or anything even vaguely resembling the original conditions for which divers were created. My Suuntos are in every way more useful. For pleasure, yes please, with auto movement.

  39. #139
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coulsdon
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by hako View Post
    Auto would be highly preferable to quartz IMO. At £250 you can consider this as a preorder.

    Why? Bc for a non-diver person wearing a diver is purely about the watch. Not about usability, not about daily convenience, but about the tactile enjoyment. I would not choose a metal diver for climbing, military exercises or anything even vaguely resembling the original conditions for which divers were created. My Suuntos are in every way more useful. For pleasure, yes please, with auto movement.
    Well I have worn Auto's when I've gone diving - although admittedly most the time it was a Quartz.

    I have nothing against Quartz watches per se, I frequently wear my G10 at the weekend's etc, but I have no desire to add more Quartz to my collection - and I agree with what Hako says, to me mechanicals just have a lot more 'soul' - and IF one could be produced comparatively cheaply, then it would make a great 'every-day-wear watch.

    I personally am finding a Day-Date 'nice' to have in this time of lockdown and never ending 'similar' days and I correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Timefactors has previously offered this - which to me is a good reason for offering it now 🙂

  40. #140
    Master markosgr28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Heraklion, Crete, Greece
    Posts
    3,573
    The debate between auto and quartz is a very common and popular issue to discuss in watches forums. Personally I too prefer autos and I have an all mechanical watches collection, apart from the two G shocks I have at the moment.

    IMHO this is not the case here. These models have a spicific history not to say legend and putting an irrelevant auto modern mechanism to them sounds a is a little bit odd to me. These models have to be quartz imho. And the price point mentioned sounds great for me. Even in the price point of view, adding a cheap mechanical mechanism, will just make them a cheap mechanical watch, nothing too special.

  41. #141
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    The debate between auto and quartz is a very common and popular issue to discuss in watches forums. Personally I too prefer autos and I have an all mechanical watches collection, apart from the two G shocks I have at the moment.

    IMHO this is not the case here. These models have a spicific history not to say legend and putting an irrelevant auto modern mechanism to them sounds a is a little bit odd to me. These models have to be quartz imho. And the price point mentioned sounds great for me. Even in the price point of view, adding a cheap mechanical mechanism, will just make them a cheap mechanical watch, nothing too special.
    I absolutely understand the requirements set by the MOD for the SBS Diver Watch to be Quartz back in the 80s. There were good reasons for that.
    And I also think at that price point a Quartz movement is the only way to go.
    There is no need for an additional DayDate-Diver with a Seiko movement in it.

    But it would great to have the option to order the watch with an ETA 2836-2 (or similar Sellita). DayDate-Divers with these higher end movements are hard to find these days.

    I like the look but I am not sure If I would get one if it is quartz.

  42. #142
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coulsdon
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    The debate between auto and quartz is a very common and popular issue to discuss in watches forums. Personally I too prefer autos and I have an all mechanical watches collection, apart from the two G shocks I have at the moment.

    IMHO this is not the case here. These models have a spicific history not to say legend and putting an irrelevant auto modern mechanism to them sounds a is a little bit odd to me. These models have to be quartz imho. And the price point mentioned sounds great for me. Even in the price point of view, adding a cheap mechanical mechanism, will just make them a cheap mechanical watch, nothing too special.
    According to this, at least, https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/cw...ced-the-milsub the CWC watch that replaced the Mil Sub was an Auto - hence if the idea of this Project was to make a 'homage' to that watch; then that too should be an Auto.

    Similarly, when Quartz first came out they were more expensive than high-grade mechanical watches - they were on the cutting edge of technology. I'm sure, when the first CWC Quartz Diver came out, the price had reduced - but evens so the emphasis in the 80's was all about accuracy - and of course how many functions your Digi Watch had and what tune its alarm played.

    However, if you wanted the cutting edge Quartz movement - so as to pay homage to a more cutting edge 1980's diver - then the choice would obviously be a COSC movement. Which of course has already been done.

    Things are now vastly different and Quartz is the vastly 'cheaper' option. A lot of people don't wear watches and rely on their Phones or iPads - and for Diving you can rely upon 1, or even 2, computers.

    I'd hypothesise that people who buy Microbrands - especially a watch with a nod to a historic military watch - are really looking for something that has a bit of character.

    As I understand it, the intention is to have a comparatively 'cheap' watch (Timefactors obviously do offer more 'quality' divers - such as what I feel that the Caribbean will be) and I can see the attraction of having one that you can buy cheaply, is reliable, doesn't need servicing anywhere near as often as a higher grade Swiss - but still ticks.

    Basically IMHO, by having a quartz, you' re having a cheap watch what doesn't have the character of a 'cheap' and reliable mechanical - the latter which you could have for a few pounds more.

    However, if the concern was to do with the historic nature of the CWC what was favoured to Rolex, then that for that reason to you need it to be powered by a spring rather than a battery.

  43. #143
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coulsdon
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by slender View Post
    I absolutely understand the requirements set by the MOD for the SBS Diver Watch to be Quartz back in the 80s. There were

    But it would great to have the option to order the watch with an ETA 2836-2 (or similar Sellita). DayDate-Divers with these higher end movements are hard to find these days.

    I like the look but I am not sure If I would get one if it is quartz.
    Hmmm...that's an interesting comment - because I used to shy away from watches with 'Japanese' movements and always considered Swiss was superior.

    However, I broke my 'no-Japense' movement philosophy last year when I bought the Newmark 71 with a Miyota 9015 in it. I 'allowed' myself this indulgence because frankly I think the Swiss, or at least Swatch group' were being too up themselves - restricting the sale of their movements.

    At the same time as this I bought a Isotope Goutte d'Eau Nordblad (Sellita) and Axiom IXL Montres D'Aviateur (Sellita) an Ianos Avyssos (ETA) and a Yema Superman Heritage (Yema) and all I can say is the 'cheap' movement Newmark has obliterated them in terms of accuracy - its literally about 0.75 secs per day and does not seem to be so adversely affected by the positioning of the watch.

    I used to see people posting about their Smiths Everest's being within a second per day accuracy and always thought they were BS'ing a bit - but owning the Newmarck has really opened my eyes.

    Sure, the NH36 isn't a top grade movement - but its slow beat, tough of nails, character perfectly suits a Military Diver IMHO 🙂

  44. #144
    Journeyman williemays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Dubuque
    Posts
    226
    Iím excited about the quartz PRS-3, if Eddieís PRS-10 is an example of what to expect. Faithful to the original design, but with upgrades and improvements, and at an affordable price. If options are to be had, Iíd rather have a no-date variant than a no-quartz.

  45. #145
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    2,977
    Blog Entries
    1
    Black quartz PRS-3 no date is a sure fire winner seeing as CWC is now so expensive.

  46. #146
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,697
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    According to this, at least, https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/cw...ced-the-milsub the CWC watch that replaced the Mil Sub was an Auto - hence if the idea of this Project was to make a 'homage' to that watch; then that too should be an Auto.

    Similarly, when Quartz first came out they were more expensive than high-grade mechanical watches - they were on the cutting edge of technology. I'm sure, when the first CWC Quartz Diver came out, the price had reduced - but evens so the emphasis in the 80's was all about accuracy - and of course how many functions your Digi Watch had and what tune its alarm played.

    However, if you wanted the cutting edge Quartz movement - so as to pay homage to a more cutting edge 1980's diver - then the choice would obviously be a COSC movement. Which of course has already been done.

    Things are now vastly different and Quartz is the vastly 'cheaper' option. A lot of people don't wear watches and rely on their Phones or iPads - and for Diving you can rely upon 1, or even 2, computers.

    I'd hypothesise that people who buy Microbrands - especially a watch with a nod to a historic military watch - are really looking for something that has a bit of character.

    As I understand it, the intention is to have a comparatively 'cheap' watch (Timefactors obviously do offer more 'quality' divers - such as what I feel that the Caribbean will be) and I can see the attraction of having one that you can buy cheaply, is reliable, doesn't need servicing anywhere near as often as a higher grade Swiss - but still ticks.

    Basically IMHO, by having a quartz, you' re having a cheap watch what doesn't have the character of a 'cheap' and reliable mechanical - the latter which you could have for a few pounds more.

    However, if the concern was to do with the historic nature of the CWC what was favoured to Rolex, then that for that reason to you need it to be powered by a spring rather than a battery.
    The 1982 Precista diver replaced the Rolex, albeit for only one year but it was the dive watch for the Falklands campaign.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  47. #147
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sunny Surrey
    Posts
    1,271
    Quartz, no date

  48. #148
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    134
    Looking forward to this. Guess I have missed it but what is the likely ETA? Thank you


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  49. #149
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    21,851
    Dear Mr Platts,
    Well it looks like you're onto another winner with the PRS3, reading through the thread and fulfilling everyone's essential requirements it's going to be a brilliant Smiths/Precista automatic/quartz, with a matt/gloss aluminium/ceramic bezel, easy strap changing due to the drilled lugs with fixed bars, and the options of - no date, day-date or date only at 3/4 and 6 o'clock, together with steel or PVD finish will no doubt make this a must have yellow, black, orange, blue dive watch.

    For balance what ever you decide upon - I'll probably have a yellow one,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  50. #150
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Hmmm...that's an interesting comment - because I used to shy away from watches with 'Japanese' movements and always considered Swiss was superior.

    However, I broke my 'no-Japense' movement philosophy last year when I bought the Newmark 71 with a Miyota 9015 in it. I 'allowed' myself this indulgence because frankly I think the Swiss, or at least Swatch group' were being too up themselves - restricting the sale of their movements.

    At the same time as this I bought a Isotope Goutte d'Eau Nordblad (Sellita) and Axiom IXL Montres D'Aviateur (Sellita) an Ianos Avyssos (ETA) and a Yema Superman Heritage (Yema) and all I can say is the 'cheap' movement Newmark has obliterated them in terms of accuracy - its literally about 0.75 secs per day and does not seem to be so adversely affected by the positioning of the watch.

    I used to see people posting about their Smiths Everest's being within a second per day accuracy and always thought they were BS'ing a bit - but owning the Newmarck has really opened my eyes.

    Sure, the NH36 isn't a top grade movement - but its slow beat, tough of nails, character perfectly suits a Military Diver IMHO 🙂
    I have no issue with a seiko nh36 or similar Japanese movement.
    The only thing the ETA does better is the day and date change. It changes instantly, not like the seiko that needs hours.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information