closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review of Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600

Review of Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600

From my blog. I also added some kind of brief history of this model. Very brief... there are more informative writeups for sure. This was just a quick one with the emphasis on photography.

Enjoy!

https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.com/

Last edited by JPE; 24th May 2019 at 22:58.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good picture!

mike

Craftsman
    Thanks for the link. 16600 was my first Rolex, I wore it every day for nearly 10 years. I recently started wearing it again and quickly remembered how great it is. Seriously considering trading something else in for a 14060 now...

I miss mine also, it’s the only sports model I owned that I actually liked.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    From my blog. I also added some kind of brief history of this model. Very brief... there are more informative writeups for sure. This was just a quick one with the emphasis on photography.

Enjoy!

Great pic. Waterproof to at least 15mm!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    Thanks for the link. 16600 was my first Rolex, I wore it every day for nearly 10 years. I recently started wearing it again and quickly remembered how great it is. Seriously considering trading something else in for a 14060 now...
    I once had a 14060 but it's been over 10 years.

I have a 16710 and 16610 too. The main difference with the Dweller is that the case is thicker and it sits a bit differently on the wrist.

Do you notice it when you switch between 14060 and 16600? Which one you find more comfortable?

Craftsman
    Unfortunately I don't own a 14060 yet so couldn't say. I was mostly wearing a Daytona until recently so certainly notice the difference to that. I'm trying the SD on a canvas strap today, not sure if I like it or not tbh. Will give it a few days. Apologies for the terrible phone pic!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master

Enjoy!

Thank you I also enjoyed your comparison of the 16610 and the 116610
    Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 27th November 2018 at 21:57.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    Unfortunately I don't own a 14060 yet so couldn't say. I was mostly wearing a Daytona until recently so certainly notice the difference to that. I'm trying the SD on a canvas strap today, not sure if I like it or not tbh. Will give it a few days. Apologies for the terrible phone pic!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Very nice.

Many people seem to wear the Dweller on a strap. Why is that? Is it more comfortable that way? I find the 16610 more comfortable on the wrist although aesthetically I prefer the 16600.

Craftsman
    Excellent work, and a wonderful photo. Your comments about usage I guess apply to the majority, it's good to do/purchase items for no other reason than desire to.

I once had a whole watch box full of 16600’s

still my my all time favourite watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I love this watch!

Thanks, all.

Here's also my old writeup of the 16710 (in case you missed it). I got help from this forum (a guy named Belliegro) with this one. Cheers.

https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.c...ster-ii-16710/

Great review, the 16710 & 16610 are two of my favourite watches as well

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Great review, the 16710 & 16610 are two of my favourite watches as well

Wow. We have similar taste.

White Daytona was my passion and goal for years. But then I borrowed it from a frend, wore it for a week and it felt a bit too small for me. So I bought this Ebel (which is perfect to me). Dweller and the 16710 don't feel small at all but I've gotten used to larger chronos (I've had Breitling Skyland, Aquaracer 45mm, Aquagraph etc.)

It's a silver dial Daytona but I take your point about it wearing small, I have average size wrists though so it's fine for me

Last edited by Vanguard; 28th November 2018 at 10:30.

It's a stunner though.

Is that white gold version?

It's a stunner though.

Is that white gold version?
    Yes, the Gold part aside I just love the red sub dial and second hands that you can't get on any stainless steel model

Blog Entries
    Thanks! Enjoyed that - I must take a look at wordpress as your site does look very slick. The 16600 is certainly a classic. I sold a 16660 (with silver marker surrounds on the dial) on the forum a while back - sometimes get pangs of regret - but can't afford to keep all the watches I'd like to (or the space).

I do prefer the sports models without the 'large shoulders' which are few and far between these days.

Good catch and review!

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thanks! Enjoyed that - I must take a look at wordpress as your site does look very slick. The 16600 is certainly a classic. I sold a 16660 (with silver marker surrounds on the dial) on the forum a while back - sometimes get pangs of regret - but can't afford to keep all the watches I'd like to (or the space).

I do prefer the sports models without the 'large shoulders' which are few and far between these days.

Good catch and review!

Martyn
    Thanks man. Appreciated.

Enjoy!

Great picture. Kinda makes me miss mine. How easily turned we can be

Check this out. I'm not saying this price is nowhere near realistic but on the other hand you rarely see these unused ones anymore.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/new...-id9742895.htm

I doubt the price is realistic. I have an unworn V serial to go with another that’s in my usual rotation for wear - I may treat the worn one to a Rolex service and new bracelet in early 2019 :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Lovely watch and some cracking pictures.

Thanks, all.

One more pic.

Master
    Check this out. I'm not saying this price is nowhere near realistic but on the other hand you rarely see these unused ones anymore.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/new...-id9742895.htm
    A tool watch should have lug holes for me.

Good read, I love my 16600 it's spent most of its time on a nato! and one that will never leave the fold!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks, all.

Here's another very good review of the Sea-Dweller (much better than mine) and it explains the model history in detail.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/re...ex-sea-dweller

COMEX 16600, asking price 90.000 Euros.

Sounds crazy.

What do you think?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs...a-4837079.html

COMEX 16600, asking price 90.000 Euros.

Sounds crazy.

What do you think?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs...a-4837079.html
    I can think of several other watches I'd rather own at 90k. I would get two of my grails - an FPJ CB and an FPJ Chronometre Optimum, and still have change.

Master
    Nice review. Must admit that while I have taken my 16600 diving, it's never been below 45m.

I think the Deepsea is just too big, and can't get used to seeing the cyclops on a SD.

Craftsman
    I need to stop reading any threads about a 16600 as it simply makes me miss mine so much. Still the finest Rolex I've ever owned (& there's been quite a lot!).

Why not post your thoughts here OP?

Master
    For me the lug-holed 16600 is the most functional “engineering-first” watch Rolex have ever made. It is not designed to be pretty like most of their current watches. It is hardcore functional, at the expense of being less comfortable to wear because of the thicker case/caseback. The SD out-subs the Sub. Sadly (or fortunately?) market prices for the 16600 have always felt softer compared to the more comfortable and aesthetically prettier GMT. If I had to thin my Rolex collection down to just one, the 16600 would be the last remaining.

Master
    Whilst the sub feels more forgettable on the wrist for good or bad the 16600 feels wonderfully robust. I don't favour heavier watches and have slim wrists but it wears really well to me.

I've a 2001 full set and will only entertain it going if I find a nice tritium version but even then there's pros to the luminova.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 9th January 2019 at 12:01.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    For me the lug-holed 16600 is the most functional “engineering-first” watch Rolex have ever made. It is not designed to be pretty like most of their current watches. It is hardcore functional, at the expense of being less comfortable to wear because of the thicker case/caseback. The SD out-subs the Sub. Sadly (or fortunately?) market prices for the 16600 have always felt softer compared to the more comfortable and aesthetically prettier GMT. If I had to thin my Rolex collection down to just one, the 16600 would be the last remaining.
    I've had my 16710 for 10 years.

To be honest I rarely wear it. It doesn't have that great of a "wrist presence". It very photogenic watch and I love to photograph it and I often put it on at home... but I rarely wear it publicly. 16610 and 16600 are so much nicer.
    Last edited by JPE; 9th January 2019 at 18:26.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Why not post your thoughts here OP?
    Yeah why not. The review has a lot of html so I don't know how it could be copied & pasted to the forums properly.

Journeyman
    I enjoyed that. Thank you for writing it and sharing it with us.

Cheers

Mark

Master
    I've had my 16710 for 10 years.

To be honest I rarely wear it. It doesn't have that great of a "wrist presence". It very photogenic watch and I love to photograph it and I often put it on at home... but I rarely wear it publicly. 16610 and 16600 are so much nicer.
    I love my 16710! For ‘smart casual’ it is so flexible with the splash of colour, but slim profile that slides under the cuff so easily. Probably my most worn Rolex outside! (more than my 16600)

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I love my 16710! For ‘smart casual’ it is so flexible with the splash of colour, but slim profile that slides under the cuff so easily. Probably my most worn Rolex outside! (more than my 16600)
    Don't get me wrong I love my 16710 too. Sub and Dweller are just a bit nicer. I'd love to have a 1675 or 16750 though.

Master
    Don't get me wrong I love my 16710 too. Sub and Dweller are just a bit nicer. I'd love to have a 1675 or 16750 though.

Mmmm. Lovely. 1675 has extra warmth with the lume plots.