closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Upped sticks and moved to Portugal - anyone ever done it ?

Master

Upped sticks and moved to Portugal - anyone ever done it ?

Has anyone done it - hit unforseen problems or got advice and reasons not to do it ?

Any experiences among you guys would be welcome.I do have a smattering of the language and tend to pick things up quickly.

Thanks

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Has anyone done it - hit unforseen problems or got advice and reasons not to do it ?

Any experiences among you guys would be welcome.I do have a smattering of the language and tend to pick things up quickly.

Thanks

Brian
    Brother in law has just done it, moved to Lisbon, stating he would never move back to the UK full time ever again. That and the 10 year tax free incentive. It’s made me think about it also. Nice, weather wine and port as well apparently

Master
    Best advice i can give is RENT RENT RENT do not buy.

I intended to move full time to Spain 7 years ago and went out over the winter for 4 - 6 months.

Everyone i spoke to from many different countries that had moved to Spain was that they wished they had never bought but rented first.

Situations change due to ill health,family deaths or that other places appeal more i.e those that moved to say Alicante preferred Malaga etc.

I nearly bought and it would have been the worst decision i have ever made.

I now rent when i go to Spain for the winter which gives me much more flexibility and freedom.

Mark

Master
    Jeez that was quick Andy thanks what is the 10 year tax fee incentive ? Sounds as though it just got better.

Got the info from the googles thanks

B
    Last edited by Brian; 27th November 2018 at 13:10.

Great advice, brother in law has done the same, and is now settled on the idea of buying out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Jeez that was quick Andy thanks what is the 10 year tax fee incentive ? Sounds as though it just got better.

B
    Not entirely sure, I know he’s had a bit of a faff to sort it, but from what I gather it is exactly that. He’s hired an accountant to sort it all out and now I believe has residency in Portugal dropping his UK one to make it work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Not entirely sure, I know he’s had a bit of a faff to sort it, but from what I gather it is exactly that. He’s hired an accountant to sort it all out and now I believe has residency in Portugal dropping his UK one to make it work.
    ‘non-habitual residence’ (NHR) regime

https://www.blevinsfranks.com/news/a...-free-pensions

Blog Entries
    Brother has been in Portugal a little way inland from Tavira for 11 years now. Can get very hot in the summer, which can bother some people. He's in a fairly rural area on a farm so has to drive for everything but this obviously varies depending where you are! He always says its a bit hard getting stuff done but given the weather who can blame them! He's certainly been happy there. I don't think all the infrastructure is so good in the rural areas, again probably true anywhere in the world!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Best advice i can give is RENT RENT RENT do not buy.

I intended to move full time to Spain 7 years ago and went out over the winter for 4 - 6 months.

I now rent when i go to Spain for the winter which gives me much more flexibility and freedom.

Mark
    Mark any tips on how best to find a winter rental?

Master
    I spend 5 month in Spain every year, not quite the same as Portugal but near enough.

Best advice has already been given, RENT for 12 months, you need to spend a year out there. It's not just the house or the region that's important, you need to find out if leaving the UK is really for you. Some people curse the day they left the UK and others consider it the best thing they have ever done. Also you and the wife may have opposing views, so test the water before diving in.

I have two houses in Spain, one is a cheap to run apartment which is ok for short breaks but not for permanent living in. The second is a villa on the coast with a pool and it's not cheap to buy and expensive to run but a fantastic place to live.

If Brexit turns shitty, we will just stay here and rent out the UK home. We actually prefer Spain to the UK but being non resident can make life awkward and Brexit has screwed it up completely.

Overall as a sweeping statement, Spain and Portugal are lousy places to work in but a good place to retire.

Rent forever, while staying hooked into the UK Housing market. Rent out your house in UK, and should you ever (you probably will) want to return....... you aren’t faced with trying to get rid of a place in Spain/Portugal and little money for a place back in UK

Craftsman
    Again can only add to those who say rent for at least a year. Major concern for my age group (retired plus) has to be health and whilst having basic conversational skills in two european languages not so good at medical terms.