closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would I be mad... / SOTC

Master

Would I be mad... / SOTC

I recently added the BB58 to form an Explorer, BB, Speedy trio. Maybe it’s just early days and being besotted with the BB58, but I’m wondering whether I should think about swapping out the Explorer for something else?

The Speedy is untouchable, a special gift, and the BB58 is the best fitting watch I’ve ever had. The Explorer sometimes feels a tad too much dial, and I’m lacking colour variety. I’ve thought about a polar Explorer 2 and I’ve been tempted by a Reverso or Sector dial JLC in the past too. Alternatively, I’ve thought about going “cheaper” (compared to the Explorer) and adding another Omega (AT/globemaster/grey dial rail master) or maybe a nice Zenith.

Am I just being a typical watch nut, or is there some sense here? Other times, I think I have a great trio and should be eternally happy with these...! Thoughts?

4DBF8A36-2F13-4EA8-B649-5BCB900DA87E by Berty234, on Flickr

I’m not looking to rush ahead and sell anytime soon - just thinking about options for any next move in the collection :)

I agree, a change from a black dial would add some variety. However you have a lovely trio there. Maybe keep all three and add something a bit more dressy in a white or silver dial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorer II would be a good addition imho
    It's just a matter of time...

Three weeks is no amount of time, and higher quality tends to reassert itself eventually.

Apprentice
    Never sell, just add another.

Master
    Depends on budget. If you can add the do so. If not swapping the explorer to a polar makes a lot of sense and would certainly add to the versatility of the collection.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Depends on budget. If you can add the do so. If not swapping the explorer to a polar makes a lot of sense and would certainly add to the versatility of the collection.
    But that leaves you with 3 watches, all with numeric bezels ... bit samey.

The Explorer adds some variety with its slightly more dressy style.

Craftsman

Would I be mad... / SOTC

Swap it out for the Polar explorer. Its literally the winning move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    The Polar could be the answer, although I agree with the dressier view on the 214270.

I’d like to keep to three rather than adding and adding, budget and wearing habits both dictating a trio as being spot on for me.

Master
    Personally i would stick with the three you have. I think they are a nice combination. Is the strap on the BB on the wrong way round?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Personally i would stick with the three you have. I think they are a nice combination. Is the strap on the BB on the wrong way round?
    That strap config is what you find with Seikos. It is the 'Japanese' way I have been informed (whilst in the Seiko Boutique). The strap does not point out to people which is considered rude.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    That strap config is what you find with Seikos. It is the 'Japanese' way I have been informed (whilst in the Seiko Boutique). The strap does not point out to people which is considered rude.
    It’s also the way Tudor does it :)

Craftsman
    The polar would get my vote.

Great collection BTW.

Journeyman
    You can get the white oyster perpetual which has the same size as the explorer but dressier IMO and adds some colour variation.

Mad. Yes.
    That's a great mix of great watches. The Explorer I is both dressy and sporty. Not much can touch it in it's class in my opinion. The Polar is a bit wishy washy to me though being Rolex it will be a superb timepiece.

Master
    Any love for a JLC option?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Interesting, I've never heard of that before.

Journeyman

Would I be mad... / SOTC

I think it’s a great collection but if you want colour I would exchange for an oyster perpetual. If you go 36mm as well it could be more on the dressy side even though it’s not a dress watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Well that’s pretty much my dream watch collection (of which I currently have ... none).

Of the 3 the bb58 would be a question mark for me (but I haven’t tried one - maybe it sits much better than it’s bigger brothers).

Is it an optical illusion that the biggest watch looks like the bb58 and the smallest the speedy? It’s nice to see them side by side like that.

How about a snowflake?

Another vote for retaining those three lovely watches. If you imagine a Sub in place of your Tudor and a Speedy Pro in place of yours, I have the same three. The one major complication you don't (yet) have is a GMT, perhaps a Tudor GMT would provide a team mate and a splash of colour if you feel you need it. BTW I've had a couple of light dialled watches, also wanting some variety, they didn't last.

Good luck.

That’s a great looking trio. You have mentioned the dial size on the Explorer - you could consider switching it for a 114270.

Polar explorer II in preference to the current Explorer does several things
    Keeps Rolex ownership
    Adds GMT functionality (and quick timezone hacking)
    Adds a new dial colour to the collection.
    That seems like a good move to me
    Dave
    Last edited by sweets; 25th November 2018 at 18:49.

What a great little collection. Be careful whatever you do, especially with a white dial watch. You might find you much prefer black.

That is a really nice trio.. two of those watches are on my list and i have a Black Bay.. hmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Three weeks is no amount of time, and higher quality tends to reassert itself eventually.
    ^ This, in time, you'll be getting rid of the BB58. The Explorer has the quality and understatement of the lineup.

Master
    The BB58 is a great watch, perfect size. Recommend to all.

Those saying a white dial might just not be my thing - very good point, maybe variety for variety’s sake isn’t all it’s cracked up to be!

Maybe I should sit happy with what I have

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s a perfect balanced collection in my eyes. Maybe add a dress watch on leather but don’t get rid of anything you have already!!

Journeyman
    Lovely collection. Would stick with what you have got

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That's a cracking trio.
    I'd stick with what you have for now.

I certainly wouldn't be moving on an explorer for a BB.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would honestly keep the Exp I

Thats a fine trio as is :)

I agree that is a very fine trio, i have the two rightmost and am considering a BB58. So I would keep them all!
    (as an aside, the one thing that would bother me in your position is that i wouldn't wear any of those with a suit. perhaps you could pick up something like a vintage IWC or omega, doesn't need to cost a lot...)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    I agree that is a very fine trio, i have the two rightmost and am considering a BB58. So I would keep them all!
    (as an aside, the one thing that would bother me in your position is that i wouldn't wear any of those with a suit. perhaps you could pick up something like a vintage IWC or omega, doesn't need to cost a lot...)
    Explorer does the job there for me :) Vintage scares and interests me in equal measures!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe something like the Junghans Max Bill vintage looks with modern movement

Craftsman
    i dont think you would be unhappy adding a Reverso... i have a Squadra, and although i dont wear it all that often, I really do love it every time that I wear it.

Master
    Just resurrecting briefly. I’ve decided to add a Sarb035 to have a lighter dial option on the cheap, also for a lower key option. Might be a quick flip, might not, who knows :)

I’m currently considering the Zenith El Primero 38mm tricolour, which would necessitate moving the Explorer on. Any thoughts on that move? Also bonkers?

Also maybe thinking about recouping some cash and swapping for something like a blue skfall AT (I almost bought this when I went for the Explorer).

Can’t seem to shake the idea of swapping the Explorer!

Master

Would I be mad... / SOTC

Yup, all bonkers.

Must be the thrill of the chase.
    Last edited by PhilT; 8th December 2018 at 15:00.

Craftsman
    Timely post, I’d also been looking at at the SARB035 as a traditional dress watch.

Ended up yesterday buying an SPB035 which is basically same case/movement but with numeral rather than baton hour markers, a subtle herringbone patterned off white dial and blue hands. The bracelet is also very nice.

Got it in the Seiko outlet @ 50% off so probably works out less than a grey import or used SARB.

Is the Seiko outlet online? Thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Is the Seiko outlet online? Thanks

Not that I’ve been able to find.

It’s physically on the outskirts of York.