closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA - MG Metro for auction

PSA - MG Metro for auction

Only 175miles from new, never raced, never rallied. Oh, and it's a 6R4!

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/c...Brand-New.html

I remember 6R4s racing around Birmingham city streets back in the day (1988!), handled like they were on rails, awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlILzUw9TVo

They looked at lot faster from the trackside than on the video.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice!
    Same engine as the XJ220 from memory.

I believe it was designed and built by Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Nice!
    Same engine as the XJ220 from memory.
    Rover 3.5 V8 with two cylinders lopped off. No turbos.....it didn't suffer from the smaller engines turbo lag.

Craftsman
    These used to give the RS200 a run for its money!

I actually saw an MG Metro the other day (the regular kind, not a 6R4). I thought they'd all rusted away years ago. The cheeky git cut me up on a roundabout..

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Rover 3.5 V8 with two cylinders lopped off. No turbos.....it didn't suffer from the smaller engines turbo lag.
    That is an often repeated piece of received wisdom which isn't correct. One of the development mule engines was a Rover derived V6 but the V64V engine was a purpose built alloy quad cam race engine which indeed went on to power the XJ220 and several Le Mans Jag racers. It has much more in common with the Cosworth DFV than the RV8,

https://www.evo.co.uk/features/featu...metro_6r4.html
    Last edited by Padders; 24th November 2018 at 16:45.

My info was based on this, and what have read over the years.......probably wrong, but........Metro-6r4

Clearly the engine able to deliver this was something special, like the rest of the car. It was a special one off designed 2997cc V6, which was originally loosely based on the Rover V8. Indeed the first development engines used to power prototype cars was a Rover V8 with two cylinders lopped off. The finished engine was designated V64V standing for V6 for the configuration and 4V denoting four valves per cylinder. It was a completely new engine designed just to power the 6R4 and utilised normal advanced race engine technology of the period, which is commonplace in the 21st Century. However, even today a V6 with quad cams and four valves per cylinder producing around 410bhp with a rev limit of 9000rpm, will be regarded as very interesting. In 1985 it was a specification to drool over.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    My info was based on this, and what have read over the years.......probably wrong, but........Metro-6r4
    That quote is pretty ambiguous I agree but the phrase the jumps out at me is ‘completely new’. The very first 6R4 ran with a RV8 derived V6 engine. The later mainstream ones didn’t. Interestingly if you you look closeley at the TVR AJP V8 it has an awful lot of Rover V8 DNA. Brabham turned the Oldsmobile V8 which was sold to Rover into an effective F1 engine in 1966-7 and the AJP engine looks rather like that design. The V64V not so much.
    Last edited by Padders; 25th November 2018 at 10:14.