closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marshall amp advice please.

Blog Entries

Marshall amp advice please.

Chaps

Little son is getting heavily into his guitar now and after years of trying to tell him it’s a good hobby at 15 he has realised it’s cool and girls love it, how fickle..... He is also getting pretty good which at £20 a week for lessons is a great relief.

Two things he has said he really wants for Christmas is a Mudmaster, box ticked, and a Marshall amp which I know absolutely nothing about. I have had a little poke around eBay but not a clue what I am looking at or if £150 is buying anything decent.

Help please!!!!!

Ta
    Pitch

Master
    The Code 50 gets decent reviews. If it has to be Marshal then so be it but if not then the Boss Katana 50 seems almost the default choice at the moment. Both about £180 so a bit of budget creep but the Code 25 is cheaper if he’s only likely to play at home.
    Last edited by benny.c; 23rd November 2018 at 20:56.

Craftsman
    Oh boy!
    Marshall make some of the best sounding amps you can buy, but not for £150.

If your son is getting quite good, and he sticks at it, he will probably be gigging at some point and a Marshall DSL40 combo would be a fabulous choice. But your looking at £350 to £400 used.

If your budget is around £150, the Boss Katana combo is the go to choice. It is a digital modelling amp and produces a really good interpretation of the Marshall tone. It is equally at home as a practice amp or in a small gig. But it doesn’t say Marshall on the speaker cloth. It is far better than anything Marshall produce at this price point though.

My company, UCan Play, will give you a good discount on a new Boss Katana amp (50 or 100w). Also some great ex-demo amps available too. Just PM for details. Thanks.

Can't help with the amp, but for whatever reason your question reminded me of this

Fas est ab hoste doceri

For that budget, you could get a Blackstar valver - fantastic little things. Real tube sound rather than emulation.

Merchant city music in Glasgow are doing a discount on Marshall DSL1C's for £200

https://reverb.com/item/13556568-mar...m_medium=share

It's more of a practice amp at 1W, but it's a proper Marshall tube amp. Won't blow the back outta the house.

Personally I think it's a great sounding wee thing. Here's a vid review.

https://youtu.be/JcR_ElBdysU

At some point, if he starts playing with a band, he will need something louder though.
    Last edited by tekbow; 24th November 2018 at 00:08.

Gear4Music have a black friday deal of £179 on the Marshall CODE 50 modelling amp (not valve but good).
    https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...lling-Amp/1GUX

Jonathan (jpjsavage) did me a great deal on a Boss Katana 50 (very good modelling amp - comes recommended by Justin Guitar) he should get you closer to the £150 target.

I also have a Blackstar HT1R 1w valve head (similar to the Marshall 1W) which is also good but nowhere near as versatile as the modelling amps above.

Lots of good amps under £200 these days. Best of luck with the search.

Master
    I can't help you with on the Marshall side, but to reinforce what some others have said - the Boss Katana is great. In fact my guitar teacher uses a 100W for his gigs and he has a lot of kit to choose from. So that is a good bet.

Other than that, take a look at the Vox range of modelling amps - I have one of those and they're pretty good.

If he's getting into it now then a modelling amp might be a good bet as he effectively get a load of amp options in one package. As he learns his own sound, or the sounds he likes more, he can get something more specific. A modeller is great for being able to go from sweet bluesy to full on metal in a second. My daughter has a Vox Vx1 (I think) and for the price (less than £50 from memory) its great. Not so loud that your neighbours will complain either.

If it helps, we can do the Boss KTN50 for £165 and the KTN100 for £239. Both prices inc VAT and delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

And we'll also get a good discount from Andertons on Marshall gear so let me know if you are considering anything from that brand.

Blog Entries
    Many many thanks guys, some great stuff there and cheers Jonathan.

An I right thinking that with the Marshall App it will play tracks through the Code 50 amp for him to play along to. ??

Ta
    Pitch

Get the one that goes up to 11. Just for when you need that extra little bit.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Interestingly some acts eg Metallica don't use amps onstage anymore preferring to use emulation eg Fractal which is a lot of amps/cabinets in a rack mount unit. Be interesting to see what the industry does in the next 10 years. Angus Young however just has a lot of Marshall amps (under constant repair)

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Why not just make 10 louder?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Why not just make 10 louder?
    No. You're not getting the point are you?

No. You're not getting the point are you?
    That's...not the quote.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/This_Is_Spinal_Tap

I have a Marshall 100w. Anything more than about 4 on the master volume and the neighbours are banging on the walls.

Only I can't hear them

We love to deal in facts at tz

Blog Entries
    We love to deal in facts at tz
    He just played Fortunate Son and then went on to say what a nice holiday Vietnam was three years ago, great song though.

Thank you SP and HP for that. Eleven. Stored for future use.