closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Submariner 1999 - Which one?

Craftsman

Rolex Submariner 1999 - Which one?

Been looking for a 1999 Rolex Sub 14060 No date for my son (his birth year) and note that there are several variations, particularly with regards to what is written on the dial at 6 O'clock:

1) SWISS
    2) SWISS MADE
    3) SWISS T<25

I wondered whether I should be going for one particular version or if they are all pretty much the same. I don't think my son would ever notice, but wanted to know if there was a 1999 Yr that was more collectible than another.

thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Rich; 23rd November 2018 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Been looking for a 1999 Rolex Sub 14060 No date for my son (his birth year) and note that there are several variations, particularly with regards to what is written on the dial at 6 O'clock:

1) SWISS
    2) SWISS MADE
    3) SWISS T<25

I wondered whether I should be going for one particular version or if they are all pretty much the same. I don't think my son would ever notice, but wanted to know if there was a 1999 Yr that was more collectible than another.

thanks for any help.
    I do not think any are collectable as they were sold in the thousands but the swiss dial was made for the shortest period.

Craftsman
    thanks - assumed as much but was just wondering.

SWISS dial models were made in 1998/1999, tritium prior to that and SWISS MADE from 2000 onwards.

So if it’s a 1999 model that you’re looking for then you need a SWISS dial although there could be tritium dialled watches sold in 1999.

Master
    It would suggest that a 1999 year watch with a SWISS MADE dial, has had a service luminova dial fitted during a RSC service post 2000

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    SWISS dial models were made in 1998/1999, tritium prior to that and SWISS MADE from 2000 onwards.

So if it’s a 1999 model that you’re looking for then you need a SWISS dial although there could be tritium dialled watches sold in 1999.
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    It would suggest that a 1999 year watch with a SWISS MADE dial, has had a service luminova dial fitted during a RSC service post 2000
    thanks for the heads up on this - I should therefore be looking for SWISS rather than anything else if I want to be sure about 1999

Have you asked your son his thoughts on a dive watch i.e. submariner. My son was born in 1998 (so similar age) and when i asked him if he would like my old 14060 before i sold it he said no thanks.

He went on to say the only Rolex he would wear and likes is the DJ36.

He may appreciate functional lume - trit dial from then may be pretty dead (I like it nice and aged, but he may actually want it 'working').

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Have you asked your son his thoughts on a dive watch i.e. submariner. My son was born in 1998 (so similar age) and when i asked him if he would like my old 14060 before i sold it he said no thanks.

It's more about keeping the peace. I bought a 1998 no date T<25 (below) for my eldest son (who has done some diving and may well have use for it) - which he will receive this summer on his 21st, so now looking for a 1999 version for second son.... third son was born in 2004....so a little more time there!!

Last edited by Rich; 23rd November 2018 at 21:49.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

A young man with excellent taste!

My advice to the OP is to ask the lad what he'd really like. Given the fact that a birth-year watch will cost a big chunk of money for a 19 year old watch it may make more sense to buy him something modern. I`m not a fan of the birth year thing, maybe its Ok if the watch in question is relatively cheap, but you're not far away from the price of a modern Sub in this case, and comparing a 19 yr old watch to a 2-3 year old one is a somewhat unfair comparison.

Maybe he'd prefer a nice recent Omega SMPc plus 3 grand?
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th November 2018 at 00:17.

I offered to buy my younger son a Rolex of his choice (within reason!) for his 21st, as he'd previously commented favourably on a pic of a GMT with black bezel. He said no thanks. So that was the end of that. He doesn't wear a watch, like loads of guys his age.

Rolex Submariner 1999 - Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I agree that paying big money for new stainless steel watches* is nonesense.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    FTFY!

*See BLNR dilemma

I agree that paying big money for old birth year watches is nonesense.
    To both quote yourself earlier today and to remind you to please do as you preach:

If you haven't a serious comment to make, then butt out.

Time you wound your neck in
    Or maybe time you took a little holiday from the forum and cheer up? It's obviously not doing you any good when you don't do what you tell others to do

Craftsman
    Don't patronise me! maybe you should stop telling me what to do. Unlike you I don't tell anyone what to do but voice my opinion good or bad. Go and parasite yourself on someone else's thread!
    OK kids as the OP...and therefore this is my thread.....go play somewhere else...

thank you.

Master
    Rich not a sub but this guy recons for 1999 its the Swiss only dial thats” hot”

Make of it what you want

https://youtu.be/POtKccXz4fY

Steve

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Rich not a sub but this guy recons for 1999 its the Swiss only dial thats” hot”

Make of it what you want

https://youtu.be/POtKccXz4fY

Steve
    Actually that’s a very good shout... even the wife approves, so maybe an Explorer is the way to go... with Swiss of course, so thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Just a thought. If your son is going to use it for serious diving I’d suggest getting a watch with working lume, so avoid the Tritium dials.

Martyn.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Just a thought. If your son is going to use it for serious diving I’d suggest getting a watch with working lume, so avoid the Tritium dials.

Martyn.
    Actually, in my experience of diving, watches are no longer a requirement, but simply nice to have to tell the time under water. As for diving at night which is when the lume might come into play, the reality is that you always dive with lights/torch and the main thing you would check is air and dive computer...and if you did get the urge to check your watch then you would shine your light on it. Of course if you were in the special forces then that might be different, but not sure you’d be wearing a Rolex!! ;)