closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: That was close!

That was close!

Hi everyone!

I felt the watch loose today on my wrist and to my surprise the only thing keeping it from droping to the floor was my jumper’s sleeve. My initial thought was that a spring bar has failed but to my surprise all the spring bars were still attached. Instead, the leather holding the spring bar of the tang buckle has failed.

The watch is an IWC Mark XVIII bought from an AD on December 2016, therefore, the warranty is due to expire soon. Should I expect the strap to be replaced or is this considered to be natural wear?

Craftsman
    I would definitely expect a strap supplied with the watch from the AD to last more than 2 years. Whether the strap would be covered or not I do not know but I would certainly be asking the AD where I purchased it from for a replacement. Worst they can say is no.

Straps are not normally covered by warranty

Having checked on google there are a number of watch manufacturers that say a watch strap should last approximately a year of worn every day.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 22nd November 2018 at 12:00. Reason: Bleeding spell check

Grand Master
    Disappointing, but I don’t think you’ll get any joy from the seller. Ideally, they’ll supply another one with a large discount.

Its worth checking straps frequently for deterioration, the leather can get brittle and split like cardboard in some cases.

Master
    A lucky escape. Unless the watch has been worn swimming etc which I doubt, one would expect it to be in better shape. Most definitely worth speaking with the seller to see what can be arranged.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I'll pay a visit to the AD this weekend and see what they say.

Straps are a consumable item, much like tyres on a car.

Leather straps will wear quicker if frequently made wet, or with sweat etc.

Expecting a two year warranty on a leather strap is a bit much.

Just go and choose yourself a nice new strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I would definitely expect a strap supplied with the watch from the AD to last more than 2 years.
    Why? A strap could last a couple of months if worn 'hard'/subjected to conditions that accelerate deterioration.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Disappointing, but I don’t think you’ll get any joy from the seller. Ideally, they’ll supply another one with a large discount.
    Why? No AD should be expected to give any discount for the wear & tear of a perishable item.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    A lucky escape. Unless the watch has been worn swimming etc which I doubt, one would expect it to be in better shape.
    Depends on how it has been worn really. The OP hasn't given any details whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by gerasimos33 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I'll pay a visit to the AD this weekend and see what they say.
    Don't be too optimistic. I'm not sure what your angle is? How long were you expecting it to last? Can you tell us how regularly you have worn the strap across these 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    Straps are a consumable item, much like tyres on a car.

Leather straps will wear quicker if frequently made wet, or with sweat etc.

Expecting a two year warranty on a leather strap is a bit much.

Just go and choose yourself a nice new strap.
    This.

I have worked for more than one AD and this topic was one of the most tiresome conversations. People often seemed to think that paying a high price for a watch that comes with a leather strap means the strap is somehow immune wear, or should last longer because of cost.

A leather strap will perish in time. The time it takes depends on the wearer (levels of sweat), the conditions the wearer subjects it too (water/chemicals), and frequency of wear (which exacerbates natural wear & tear). Because the individual traits of each owner vary so widely, it cannot be a warranty item, unless it is a manufacturing defect. Offering up a strap in manky condition, as seen in the OP's photo, after two years of wear, doesn't scream "production faults".

To the OP, you've worn a leather strap for two years, and I would guess regularly. It's had it's day I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Dent99; 22nd November 2018 at 23:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    Why? A strap could last a couple of months if worn 'hard'/subjected to conditions that accelerate deterioration.

Why? No AD should be expected to give any discount for the wear & tear of a perishable item.

Depends on how it has been worn really. The OP hasn't given any details whatsoever.

Don't be too optimistic. I'm not sure what your angle is? How long were you expecting it to last? Can you tell us how regularly you have worn the strap across these 2 years?

This.

I have worked for more than one AD and this topic was one of the most tiresome conversations. People often seemed to think that paying a high price for watch that comes with a leather strap means the strap is somehow immune wear or should last longer because of cost.

A leather strap will perish in time. The time it takes depends on the wearer (levels of sweat), the conditions the wearer subjects it too (water/chemicals), and frequency of wear (which exacerbates natural wear & tear).

It cannot be a warranty item, unless it say, snapped during the early period of ownership and would have to not look in the manky condition as seen in the OP's photo.

To the OP, you've worn a leather strap for two years, and I would guess regularly. It's had it's day I'm afraid.
    Ask the AD and see how you get on😉

Craftsman

This.

I have worked for more than one AD and this topic was one of the most tiresome conversations. People often seemed to think that paying a high price for a watch that comes with a leather strap means the strap is somehow immune wear, or should last longer because of cost.

A leather strap will perish in time. The time it takes depends on the wearer (levels of sweat), the conditions the wearer subjects it too (water/chemicals), and frequency of wear (which exacerbates natural wear & tear). Because the individual traits of each owner vary so widely, it cannot be a warranty item, unless it is a manufacturing defect. Offering up a strap in manky condition, as seen in the OP's photo, after two years of wear, doesn't scream "production faults".

OP. Take it back and keep your fingers crossed that Dent99 or his apprentice isn’t working behind the counter on that day!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Ask the AD and see how you get on
    The sad thing is, some ADs might well give out replacements they shouldn't just to appease irate customers with unreasonable expectations.

I remember one customer a colleague of mine was dealing with who was going quite literally ballistic because his £2k watch with leather strap was coming apart after one month of wear.
    "This is poor quality!"
    "This is unacceptable!"
    "I haven't paid all this money for this to happen!"
    "This is disgusting!"

Any way, once they'd gone round the houses with the rant, I stepped in to assist and ask some pertinent questions.

...turns out that he was a hairdresser for a living and got his hands (and wrists) soaked multiple times on a daily basis, and besides water, the strap was also exposed to shampoos, hairsprays etc. Despite all that, his reasoning was: it was a two grand watch so it shouldn't happen.

Never let the facts get in the way of a poor argument and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    OP. Take it back and keep your fingers crossed that Dent99 or his apprentice isn’t working behind the counter on that day!
    No doubt some customers thought I was a hard ass but I'd bend over backwards for anyone stiffed by a manufacturing/servicing fault. Sometimes **** happens and the customer shouldn't suffer for it.

No time for nonsense though or people with groundless/unreasonable expectations.

Craftsman
    Steel has its advantages .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That was close!

This.

Well, you are right. I wear this watch 250 days a year. I do avoid wearing it in summer and especially when I am visiting home (Cyprus), where the heat is unbearable. Other than fading of its colour close to the edges mainly, the strap didn't show that much wear. The leather is just torn at the point where the buckle spring is fixed, which is very thin (much thinner than the rest of the strap) and a point that is constantly stressed. Visiting the AD is not a trouble; it's just a 5 minute walk from home and I don't expect much to be honest.

As for the price vs durability; although I don't expect it to be indestructuble, I do expect it to last more than 2 years considering its £200 price tag, but maybe that's just me.

I've put it on a handmade Diaboliq leather strap for now. Maybe the strap failure was an excuse to try some different strap colours :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Steel has its advantages .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    You are right and I've regretted that I didn't buy it on a bracelet at the time. Too late now.

Blog Entries
    OP: Do let us know how you get on. I’ve not seen that happen without a leather strap being exposed to watch / salt / sweat etc - hopefully the AD will advise. But straps are not a warranty item - but SHOULD be fit for purpose.

Q) do you wear the watch on a strap in water or showering?

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd November 2018 at 10:02.

Craftsman
    In my opinion, unless the watch strap has been subject to water on many occasions, I would be very miffed at it cracking like that. Only saving grace I suppose is it didn't fall off your wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    OP: Do let us know how you get on. I’ve not seen that happen without a leather strap being exposed to watch / salt / sweat etc - hopefully the AD will advise. But straps are not a warranty item - but SHOULD be fit for purpose.

Q) do you wear the watch on a strap in water or showering?

Martyn
    I never wear the watch in water and always take it off my wrist when doing the dishes. Sweat is beyond my control, however, I rarely wear a leather strap in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Culminator View Post
    In my opinion, unless the watch strap has been subject to water on many occasions, I would be very miffed at it cracking like that. Only saving grace I suppose is it didn't fall off your wrist.
    I was pissed for a minute or two but I feel really lucky that it didn't happen while walking on the street ( I walk around 20 minutes to work each day ) as I'll probably wouldn't have noticed it falling off my wrist.

I don't really care that the strap is destroyed; it's just a strap after all. I was just annoyed that the overall condition of the strap wouldn't suggest that it would fail. There are no cracks anywhere on the inside and the outside.

Blog Entries
    Looks unusually worn for a two year old strap. What has the AD said?

Bottom point, IMO, do NOT pay top dollar for a "branded" strap that in most cases is inferior and 3-5x the price (or more if we're talking ultra-premium brands!) compared to offerings from "generic" makers such as Hirsch, who by the way offer nowadays wide ranges of water-resistant straps, I would highly recommend getting one of those.

Sorry for the late response. I've only had the time today to visit the AD. As some members suggested, the warranty does not cover straps as they might be damaged by water, sweat, perfumes, etc. I wasn't hoping for much in the first place.

It was a good opportunity to try the steel bracelet. It is really nice, very comfortable and hugs the wrist. When I asked for a quote, I thought they must be having a laugh at IWC.

Anyway, aftermarket leather strap it is then!

Craftsman
    You should give a NATO go, that's what i'm running at the moment on mine!

Craftsman
    Sorry for the late response. I've only had the time today to visit the AD. As some members suggested, the warranty does not cover straps as they might be damaged by water, sweat, perfumes, etc. I wasn't hoping for much in the first place.

It was a good opportunity to try the steel bracelet. It is really nice, very comfortable and hugs the wrist. When I asked for a quote, I thought they must be having a laugh at IWC.

Anyway, aftermarket leather strap it is then!
    Could always try a decent aftermarket bracelet for 10-20% of the price IWC are quoting!

Master
    You are right and I've regretted that I didn't buy it on a bracelet at the time. Too late now.
    Buy on the bracelet if given the option , its usually cheaper than buying on leather and then forking out for the leather later.

Most manufacturer straps are crazily overpriced , you can usually buy a better quality for much less , the branded deployants can be eye watering though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Buy on the bracelet if given the option , its usually cheaper than buying on leather and then forking out for the leather later.

Most manufacturer straps are crazily overpriced , you can usually buy a better quality for much less , the branded deployants can be eye watering though.
    True, but I wasn't sure about the bracelet when I was buying the watch. Also, there was a substantial difference between the leather and the bracelet model to begin with (circa £800), which is quite a lot considering the price of the watch. I mean, an Aqua Terra is maybe £100 more expensive on the bracelet.

It's not a dealbreaker; I still love the watch on a leather strap. It was my first and only watch above £1k and although it received a lot of critisism regarding its non-inhouse movement and date placement, I never had second thoughts. I'll try some NATO or perlon in summer.