closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can't adjust the hand position. What's wrong?

Master
    Blog Entries

Can't adjust the hand position. What's wrong?

I received this 1968 NOS 29mm Certina today. eBay purchase & was relatively cheap. I thought Mrs T-7 might like it as a Christmas present.

Unfortunately, when I pull the crown out to adjust the hand position it is only engaging very intermittently. It winds up alright. What's likely to be the issue? Can it be fixed without changing the signed crown?

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    What's likely to be the issue?
    ?!

The hands might be loose on the pinion. Lovely looking watch.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Apprentice
    Might be something as simple as a sticky keyless works.
    Not really a way round the problem without opening the watch and having a look.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds possible. It's probably been sat in a drawer for most of the last 50 years by the look of it

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Sounds to me like the clutch in the crown may be worn. I presume it's a screwdown ? That would mean a new crown.
    Otherwise a broken set lever spring which is the spring which clicks from wind up to handset. Hands, dial and calendar mechanism need to come off to get to it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 20th November 2018 at 19:49.

Grand Master
    Frankly, if the watch is genuine NOS and it's never been opened up, it'll need stripping down and fully servicing if it's going to run properly. 60s lubricants were nowhere near the quality of modern synthetic oils and greases......50 years is a long time! However, I`d expect the keyless work to function OK, so it sounds like the watch has a fault. It's unlikely to be related to the crown itself, but I wouldn`t like to vouch for the condition of the crown seal after 50 years!

I'm always v. sceptical about NOS watches, it doesn`t make sense for a watch to sit in a drawer unsold for so many years. The cynic in me suspects that sometimes they were sold but returned with faults.

I`ve bought a couple of genuine NOS watches, but realistically you have to plan on getting them stripped and serviced when you buy. Any rubber seals will be shot too and in need of replacement, the rubbers used in the 60s/70s have a tendency to turn into a sticky black substance resembling chewing gum, I took an old crown apart last night and that's exactly what I found.

It's a nice watch, no doubt about that, but it's a bit optimistic to expect everything to be fine on a watch like this. Not trying to piss on your fireworks, I`m just being realistic.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Sounds to me like the clutch in the crown may be worn. I presume it's a screwdown ? That would mean a new crown.
    Otherwise a broken set lever spring which is the spring which clicks from wind up to handset. Hands, dial and calendar mechanism need to come off to get to it.

No it isn't a screw down crown.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not under any illusions that it should be working perfectly, I just want to know what could be the issue. I'd planned on having a full service anyway. The seller has offered to pay for it to be fixed "as long as it's not too much" which is good enough for me/

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    No it isn't a screw down crown.
    Then it's probably the set lever spring. Is there a firm click when you pull the winder out ? If not, that's the problem. These springs used to break regularly.

Grand Master
    I`d be surprised if this had a screw-down crown, I`d assumed it hasn`t but I could be wrong.

I just had a problem with an Omega 1011 doing the same thing after I`d tightened the canon pinion, possibly the canon pinion's a bit tight on this and causing the same problem, could happen due to the age and the lubricant drying up?

Sounds like this one needs a holiday in Torquay with Uncle Brendan!

Paul

Banned
    I will be happy to look at it of course !
    I sold Certina when I had my shop. Great value they were too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Then it's probably the set lever spring. Is there a firm click when you pull the winder out ? If not, that's the problem. These springs used to break regularly.

It does feel like a firm click to me. I've asked John Senior to service it & repair whatever's necessary. He's officially retired though so I will ask you Brendan if he says no.

Master
    Not just a loose crown on the stem is it? Do you set the time by turning the crown anti clockwise? Just thinking it could be undoing the crown on the stem thread. May be a tight canon pinion and loosening the crown as you turn. If it does set time forward with anti clockwise turns try turning it clockwise (away from date change danger) and see if it grips better (just to test) as the crown will be tightening.

Just seems odd there’s may be damage/wear if it’s NOS.

Banned
    Just had a brief look at your Certina.
    It is calibre Certina 17-221.
    It does have a screw down crown but the problem I believe are the two winding wheels, parts 407 and 410 not engaging because of wear on their teeth. I have found part 407 from Italy but no 410 so far.
    At least I can get to these wheel from the bottom plate so don't need to remove the dial hands and calendar.
    More later.

Banned
    Sadly my Swiss supplier recently suffered a heart attack and will not be back on his premises until mid January.