closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fallout 76 - Any good?

Fallout 76 - Any good?

Just trying to canvas opinion on Fallout 76.

I am a die-hard fan of Fallout and am currently replaying Fallout 3, which is still an awesome game.

A lot of the big review sites are slating it, but there are quite a few reddit posts saying it's great.

Just wondering if any other forum members have it and your opinions, both pros and cons?

Thanks

Mark
    Last edited by Sharky; 20th November 2018 at 09:40.

Master
    It's online only Mark, which put me off it straight away. If it had an offline single player campaign - even a crap one - I would have been all over it.

A couple of my mates have got it and from the little play I've had it seems ok, but it doesn't encourage the exploring and leveling up that the previous 3 games have done in my opinion.
    It expands the Fallout universe (new weapons, creatures etc) but there isn't enough to hold my attention personally.

If you haven't played it, then Farcry 5 is the way to go. Similar dynamic to the Fallout games and the ending is absolutely amazing - it definitaly opens up the potential for a Fallout style "Farcry 6"!

It has lots of bad reviews, but the people playing it seem to like it. Currently, there isn't too much griefing going on, with a fair few higher level players helping out newbs.

If you took Fallout 4, removed the main quest driven story lines and the Preston Garvey mini-quests, then what you have is the basics of Fallout 76; exploration, scavenging, crafting, base building, fighting monsters. There are no human NPCs, though there are robots.

The main issues are 'always on' voice Comms (no push to talk yet), and lack of inventory space for all the stuff you have to collect. Both of these will hopefully be addressed in patches.

Master

Fallout 76 - Any good?

My youngest was ranting & moaning in his games room about some dragon flying over and destroying his base.

So he’s ordered Red Dead 2 or something today.

I new it was a epic fail when this large box turned up with a bloody stupid helmet, map and toy figures turned up, what the hell possessed him to buy it in the first place I’ll never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Die-hard fan since the first one, and played every single game since then - but I shall stay away from 76 as the lack of single player (and all that comes with it) is not for me. No interest in scavenging, base-builidng, or other people - I just want my story.

Craftsman
    I'm the same, would have bought straight away had it been single player. Even though I usually wait for them to drop in price significantly I wouldn't have been able to resist.

Now I think I'll wait until < £20 and by then may not even bother.

A bit gutted really as Fallout 4 was excellent fun. Probably doesn't help that RD2 seems to have hit that sweet spot perfectly by all reports.

Having played it for a while, I'd like to retract my earlier statement. There are plenty of quests, and it is to all intents and purposes a single player game. There is a maximum of 24 players on each world instance, and to the most part they keep to themselves. Push to talk has been added in the most recent patch. Worth a go, I'd say.

Craftsman
    I've been lost to this game for the last week (SWMBO is not far off a bug rant I reckon).

It's a bit more complicated than Fallout 4 with weapon degradation etc. but if you enjoyed 4/3/New Vegas you'll enjoy this.

Quite odd with there not being any human AI characters though. I'm a bit sad the only BoS characters I see are long dead corpses, always enjoyed wiping out that faction myself.

Quote Originally Posted by KNog View Post
    Quite odd with there not being any human AI characters though. I'm a bit sad the only BoS characters I see are long dead corpses, always enjoyed wiping out that faction myself.
    It's very much based on Fallout 4, and while most of the graphics stand up, I think the human face animation just wouldn't cut it these days. It was too difficult or too expensive to upgrade it, so they left it out altogether. That's my theory, anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Having played it for a while, I'd like to retract my earlier statement. There are plenty of quests, and it is to all intents and purposes a single player game. There is a maximum of 24 players on each world instance, and to the most part they keep to themselves. Push to talk has been added in the most recent patch. Worth a go, I'd say.
    I’ve enjoyed all the Fallout series of games and despite the slating (mostly deserved) that F76 as had I’d say it’s worth trying now it’s not the £60 I paid. Even if you just explore the map, which is massive. The always online aspect is annoying to me though - not because of greifing etc but because a server disconnect is a pita!

If it had been called Fallout 4 online/multiplayer it probably wouldn’t have had such terrible PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    My youngest was ranting & moaning in his games room about some dragon flying over and destroying his base.

So he’s ordered Red Dead 2 or something today.

I new it was a epic fail when this large box turned up with a bloody stupid helmet, map and toy figures turned up, what the hell possessed him to buy it in the first place I’ll never know.

Sounds like he bought the Power armour pack...Bethesda the makes of the game have really messed up the game, YouTube is kicking off with this shambles of a game..

Just incase your son doesn’t know...

One of the mess ups was selling the Power armour pack with a cheap nylon bag instead of the original stated canvas bag, when Bethesda was asked why the swap, they said the canvas bag was to expensive so swapped it to nylon, (even tho the Power armour pack was expensive), yes they really did reply to a customer with that excuse, after being threatened by a few unhappy kids, they have now backed down and have agreed to swap the bag to canvas, there is a form on their site to fill in (they have now fixed the glitch on this form where all your private details were sent to other customers!)
    Last edited by jegger; 31st December 2018 at 01:02.

Master

Fallout 76 - Any good?

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    Sounds like he bought the Power armour pack...Bethesda the makes of the game have really messed up the game, YouTube is kicking off with this shambles of a game..

Just incase your son doesn’t know...

One of the mess ups was selling the Power armour pack with a cheap nylon bag instead of the original stated canvas bag, when Bethesda was asked why the swap, they said the canvas bag was to expensive so swapped it to nylon, (even tho the Power armour pack was expensive), yes they really did reply to a customer with that excuse, after being threatened by a few unhappy kids, they have now backed down and have agreed to swap the bag to canvas, there is a form on their site to fill in (they have now fixed the glitch on this form where all your private details were sent to other customers!)
    I was informed of this yesterday by my over enraged 13 year old, form filled photo taken support ticket raised.

It’s some what enlightening to be allowed a glimpse into the world of angry gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    I was informed of this yesterday by my over enraged 13 year old, form filled photo taken support ticket raised.

It’s some what enlightening to be allowed a glimpse into the world of angry gamers.

Yes but even more enlightening that a multi-billion pound company was willing to rip off a bunch of kids.