closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The most glamorous thing to do with a no longer used 2011 Tudor Glamour Day and Date

Apprentice

The most glamorous thing to do with a no longer used 2011 Tudor Glamour Day and Date

A question from a very special Tudor watch owner. The watch is extremely rare after it has been exquisitely marked by my better half who decided to give it a deep clean and a shine with a dish scourer. Yes you read that correctly… Having partially recovered after the psychological trauma, I put my Tudor in the drawer and bought a Garmin sports watch.
    We recently spoke about it with the said wife and came to the conclusion that its value may not actually increase, so I spoke about the options with the local Tudor dealer in Aberdeen. They suggested sending it to Switzerland for evaluation (approx. £100), service (approx £300) and bezel polishing/restoration (approx £80) or replacement (£?). Apparently, I won’t be able to send it for bezel polish/restoration only.
    I am not too keen to send it for service. The rather steep price (some 30% of the value?) is the most obvious reason. Secondly, the watch keeps the time really well, running late around 5 seconds over a week or so and I would not like to touch the mechanism.
    Hence my questions to any Tudor experts out here: 1. What would be a realistic selling price ‘as is’ vs after a renovation? 2. Is there any cheaper and safe way to renovate the bezel without touching the works? And 3. does it have any investment potential if I decide to keep it? Many thanks for your thoughts, watch gurus.

I uploaded some photos here https://goo.gl/Svhi2h

The watch could be easily refinished by any half competent independent. It doesn’t sound like it needs an immediate service, so my best guess would be a bit less than £100 for a good refurb was that didn’t require complete dismantling.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The watch could be easily refinished by any half competent independent. It doesn’t sound like it needs an immediate service, so my best guess would be a bit less than £100 for a good refurb was that didn’t require complete dismantling.
    I agree. An independent will take the bracelet and back off, release and remove the crown stem, undo the two internal movement holder screws, drop the movement complete with hands and dial out and drop the glass out. He'll then have the case on its own so will be able to polish it on a polishing machine and sand any areas that have a sanded finish before putting it all back together again. The £80 Tudor have quoted sounds a little low to refinish the case so might just be a bezel swap that leaves the other case scratches in place.

I'd guess an independent can do a case refinish in about half a day, so probably £200 to 300. Is the whole bracelet a polished finish? If so that can be re-done on a polishing machine as well. If it's some rows polished and some rows sanded then you'd have to buy a new bracelet.

Incidentally, although not offering to do yours as I'm no expert on these things, I once polished a bracelet on my machine with the watch still attached to it. I thought I was going great until a thread from the 'buffing up beautifully' final finish polishing disk caught between a couple of bracelet links, whipped the whole thing out of my hands and threw it against my workshop wall at 700 rpm. Buggered the watch!

Master
    It's special, after that treatment by the wife ; why not just leave it. And tell her to next time, use the dishwasher.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It's special, after that treatment by the wife ; why not just leave it. And tell her to next time, use the dishwasher.
    This.

Frankly OP, you're not thinking like a true WIS. You need to buy a new watch first, then consider repair options.

Whenever the inevitable "have you bought another watch" question arises you have the ultimate repost. I reckon this could see you through at least 2 more purchases.

Welcome amadeus.

Obvious course of action:-

Nice watch; keep it.

Refurb by independent, several of whom are fellow TZUK members

Divorce on grounds of cruelty.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

Perhaps sign up to Tinder.....

Grand Master
    I've got plenty of form for refinishing work in the past. This shouldn't be too difficult to do but I`d need to see detailed pictures first before commiting to the job.

The whole case needs stripping down, bezel off, glass out etc to do it right.

Alternatively, a Rolex independent repairer such as Bill Rice at Beverley would be ideal to refinish it, these guys are doing similar cases every day and they're a lot more flexible in the jobs they'll take on than a service centre.

Williamricewatches is the website.

Paul

Apprentice

Many thanks for your advice!

Sounds like refinishing by an independent repairer might be the way to go.
    Once refinished, what would be a realistic asking price? I dont need the watch anymore. Do you think the watch has any investment potential or is the value likely to decline?

Not sure how much more detailed pics you’d need - there are quite a few on the link, and it would polish up very well (even without dismantling you’d be able to make that watch look pretty damn good - but dismantling is always going to give a better result, so depends what you want).

The model won’t go down in value, once it’s in nice condition it will have a fairly stable used value, but it’s not one that is climbing in value or Id suggest even expected to in future.

Its just a very nice watch, and personally I’d tidy it up and wear it a lot more if I was you.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    I`m not familiar with the model at all, without knowing exactly what it ought to look like I can`t really tell how good or bad it is from the pics.

Sounds like the OP would be happier selling it....unless I`m misreading his comments?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m not familiar with the model at all, without knowing exactly what it ought to look like I can`t really tell how good or bad it is from the pics.

Sounds like the OP would be happier selling it....unless I`m misreading his comments?
    Yep, not so clandestine sales post methinks...