closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKX Lovers - Is It Time For a Change?

SKX Lovers - Is It Time For a Change?

I’m a fan of the SKX, love its design and ruggedness. Had one previously and am currently in the market for another after regretting flipping. But I was wondering, after 22 years in production is it about time Seiko made some upgrades to this watch?

I know Seiko has loads of dive options, all manner of Padi’s, turtles, tuna’s, monsters etc. and if I’m honest I’m pretty clueless about what’s what once you go beyond SKX territory.

But the current version of the SKX has been in production since 1996, and the movement is now a relic. At nigh on £200 there’s no justification for not having hacking/hand winding, especially when you look at rivals like the Orient Ray II which go for about £50 less. Where’s the value? I think Seiko are trading on the iconic popularity of this watch over its spec. They must produce them by the lorry load in Malaysia & Japan in the knowledge they’ll sell - and no doubt the worship of the YouTube watch community has given them enough free publicity to keep the production line rolling in recent years.

How would SKX fans feel if Seiko discontinued the current model(s) and released an updated one with a hacking/hand winding movement and sapphire crystal, but with the design unchanged (and lume, obviously)? Or, are the Seiko Shuffle and budget feel part of its charm and they should leave well alone?

Journeyman
    I thought they already have discontinued it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer2016 View Post
    I thought they already have discontinued it?
    Don’t think so mate?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Don’t think so mate?
    Yep #fakenews it's still available as far as I'm aware.

I wish it was smaller and they would fix the quality problems with bezel and crowns. But i doubt Seiko will bother, especially with the renaissance of interest in the model over the last three years or so.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They’re just speculating, nothing official from Seiko has ever been announced - unlike when they discontinued the SARB line earlier this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Yep #fakenews it's still available as far as I'm aware.

I wish it was smaller and they would fix the quality problems with bezel and crowns. But i doubt Seiko will bother, especially with the renaissance of interest in the model over the last three years or so.

You can get the smaller version, SKX013, 38mm.

Craftsman
    They’re just speculating, nothing official from Seiko has ever been announced - unlike when they discontinued the SARB line earlier this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed, but only in black I believe?

Yeah I believe so 👍

Was not aware they discontinued the SARB line of watches (Ironically I have a black dial one) As someone who has owned 2 SKX watches I thought they were at best average in comparison to even the older model Orient Mako. Sold both Seikos and currently own the upgraded Mako (hack seconds) Just seem an all round better watch though the bracelets on both are awful the Mako one is marginally better.

No the Seiko SKX really is nothing special.

Blog Entries

As an owner and seller of many skx’s both 007/9 in k and j versions , the change to hacking maybe welcomed but apart from that the sheer raw toughness of the watch whether it hacks or not is part of the appeal . I don’t think they are about to change it though it’s a tried and tested formula that’s sold for decades. I wouldn’t mind a hacking version personally but quite like it’s simplicity.

I have to disagree it’s not something special. Ok it’s not rare by any means but it’s unique in design, has great value for money and specs. Plus the iso rating - I think it’s a classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 19th November 2018 at 20:52.

Master

I doubt Seiko are too bothered about upgrading the skx with Sapphire and a better movement, it’d mean a price hike and they’d be forced to sort the alignment issues.

I’d imagine the ‘cheap n nasty’ is that way for a reason. Looking at the old 7002’s from the Philippines and other diving locations they most likely sell bucket loads of SKX’s to this type of location for an almost disposable ‘proper’ dive watch after a few years of use? It’s just a few nerds online have bigged them up to the level they’re at. In fact being on IG I’ve noticed over the last year or so a load of beaten up SKX’s being sold with faded dial text from abroad so they must be getting used properly.

They were never meant to be sat in a Watch box among other watches wearing various luxury straps and being scrutinised for their alignment issues on Internet forums.

The new Turtles are so much better if you want a desk Diver.

Cant help but love the SKX and after my 007 I bought the 009 as well.

Great case shape with different types of finish. 007 has a great matte dial where the 009 adds some colour.

I know some hate them but even a fan of the noisy jubilee. Very comfortable and the look is just right.

Hope they keep it a bit longer. Indeed enough other Seiko models released since but mostly bigger or more flashy.

Apprentice

The old 4205 Pepsi bezel inserts are still available on ebay. They fit perfectly. Give them a bit mroe colour.

Blog Entries

Robert Redford said so , so.....

As someone who used to own an SKX009 and now owns a PADI Turtle, I have to say that to me it’s an obvious upgrade path.

The Turtle imo is a fundamentally better watch - better case, better dial, better movement, better timekeeping and a vastly better bracelet. Well worth the extra money I would have thought.

I also fail to understand the ‘desk diver’ comment by James, as if somehow the Turtle is a lesser dive watch than an SKX - in what respect?

Simon

Craftsman

- - - Updated - - -

I had a 013 for a short while. Although it has a smaller diameter it is still almost as thick as a 007/009. To me it felt top heavy and out of proportion.

Sounds like not many are fans of the non-hacking 7s26 movement, but I love it. To me, it's entirely in keeping with what the SKX is about - simple, robust, practical, no-nonsense.

Is it accurate enough for purpose? Yes.

Does it matter that it's difficult to set it absolutely precisely against a time signal? No.

Does it matter that it doesn't hand wind? No - it starts up immediately with a few shakes and charges very efficiently on the wrist.

Just my view, obviously, but I see no need whatsoever for the movement to be changed on the SKX's.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    Sounds like not many are fans of the non-hacking 7s26 movement, but I love it. To me, it's entirely in keeping with what the SKX is about - simple, robust, practical, no-nonsense.

Is it accurate enough for purpose? Yes.

Does it matter that it's difficult to set it absolutely precisely against a time signal? No.

Does it matter that it doesn't hand wind? No - it starts up immediately with a few shakes and charges very efficiently on the wrist.

Just my view, obviously, but I see no need whatsoever for the movement to be changed on the SKX's.
    Would have to agree......... gotta love a relic. And if you dont then there is plenty else to choose in this genre Seiko-wise.

Craftsman
    It was perfect for the job in 1996 and remains so.

Long may they keep selling it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    As someone who used to own an SKX009 and now owns a PADI Turtle, I have to say that to me it’s an obvious upgrade path.

The Turtle imo is a fundamentally better watch - better case, better dial, better movement, better timekeeping and a vastly better bracelet. Well worth the extra money I would have thought.

I also fail to understand the ‘desk diver’ comment by James, as if somehow the Turtle is a lesser dive watch than an SKX - in what respect?

Simon
    I didn’t say it was a lesser Diver? I said it was a better desk Diver than an SKX meaning for the folk that want better alignment, hand winding etc. The SKX has its place and if you want a better desk Diver in respect to ‘upgrades’ over an skx the turtles offer that over the SKX.

Don’t think so mate?
    I believe they have discontinued making the SKX. It’s just that so many have been made, the remaining inventory will be available to buy new for a good while.

the 4s movement will replace the 7s but you probably need more than just a movement swap

No one seem to complain about Patek's non hacking movements. Do fancy changing my BFK for a turtle. Just find the range confusing with all the gazillion model codes, region specific models and importance of manufacturing base ie Japan or Phillipines.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 20th November 2018 at 09:19.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    No one seem to complain about Patek's non hacking movements. Do fancy changing my BFK for a turtle. Just find the range confusing with all the gazillion model codes, region specific models and importance of manufacturing base ie Japan or Phillipines.
    There is no importance of the manufacturing base. None of the SKX are made in Japan. The J and K marks just refer to the destination markets.

There are lots of variants though!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    There is no importance of the manufacturing base. None of the SKX are made in Japan. The J and K marks just refer to the destination markets.

There are lots of variants though!
    The J model at 6 on the dial says 'made in Japan'

Journeyman
    The way the SKX is what makes it so special
    Why on earth change such a success
    Plenty of alternatives if you dont like them
    I love them!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I didn’t say it was a lesser Diver? I said it was a better desk Diver than an SKX meaning for the folk that want better alignment, hand winding etc. The SKX has its place and if you want a better desk Diver in respect to ‘upgrades’ over an skx the turtles offer that over the SKX.
    Apologies James - I clearly read more into your wording than I should...

Simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    The J model at 6 on the dial says 'made in Japan'
    And there lies the confusion.

Japanese law allows this to me applied if the watch is made elsewhere as long as a host of manufacturing requirements are met in that other country, such as machinery, supervision etc etc.

Odd i know to us but true.

The designations on the front of Japanese watches often has more to do with the destination market rules and laws than people think.

Japanese law allows this to me applied if the watch is made elsewhere as long as a host of manufacturing requirements are met in that other country, such as machinery, supervision etc etc.

The designations on the front of Japanese watches often has more to do with the destination market rules and laws than people think.
    Think this also applies with coveted ‘Swiss Made’ on Swiss watches.

Apprentice

Ok, thanks. Didn't know that. I knew the movements are Malasia/Chinese made. But thought it would be similar to Swiss in a way.

Think this also applies with coveted ‘Swiss Made’ on Swiss watches.
    There are certainly strict requirements regarding the use of 'Swiss made'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_made

Journeyman

Interesting - I have never heard anyone mention that before; in countless reviews that I have watched/read on the SKX. Odd. Where did you learn this? Had I known I might not have paid the extra for the J.......

Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    Interesting - I have never heard anyone mention that before; in countless reviews that I have watched/read on the SKX. Odd. Where did you learn this? Had I known I might not have paid the extra for the J.......
    Ditto, everything I’ve ever read/watched related to the SKX suggests the K version is made in Malaysia and the J version is made in Japan and subject to more stringent QC checks, hence the higher price.

I actually prefer the aesthetic of the K version, the 21 Jewels on the J adds irrelevant clutter to the dial.

Master
    If it ain't broken, then don't fix it

I had a Turtle for a while, but felt it was too big for me and replaced it with a SKX which I prefer. I must have got lucky as it runs incredibly well, around +1s/day.

Journeyman
    It has been known for a good ten years that this is a myth, but people keep shelling out more for the 'J' versions. It's total nonsense that 'J' stands for Japan, let alone that it means the watch is somehow better quality. You really have to ask yourself, why on Earth would Seiko have two slightly different production processes for the same mass-produced, robot-made watch? The really baffling thing to me is the day wheel - 'J' SKXs are English and Arabic, but people still think they're for the Japanese market.

Ditto, everything I’ve ever read/watched related to the SKX suggests the K version is made in Malaysia and the J version is made in Japan and subject to more stringent QC checks, hence the higher price.
    They're priced higher by the vendors, because they know people will pay it. The last two SKX007Js I bought both had misaligned day wheels and either the insert or chapter ring was off. There's no extra QC.

Personally I also like the symmetry of the text on the J dials, and having 'Made in Japan' on it is nice. But other than that, there is no difference.
    Last edited by Joe O'Brien; 20th November 2018 at 20:02.

Regarding the discussion below about whether the SKX had been discontinued.

Few weeks back I bought a used K version on here, nice condition etc but all it made me realise was I should get myself a brand new model and keep it. So, I ordered a J version from Creation Watches. It arrived yesterday.

My understanding of Seiko watches - certainly the SKX and Seiko 5 lines is, the 6 digit serial number on the case back tells you the year (first digit) and month (second digit) of the watches production. My new J version serial number starts 87 indicating it was made in 2018, in July.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Brien View Post
    It has been known for a good ten years that this is a myth, but people keep shelling out more for the 'J' versions.
    That's two people calling BS on the "Made in Japan" aspect.

Got a reference/source for this "knowledge", please? Must be easily referenced if its been common knowledge for a decade?

Thanks, in advance!

I have 2 007 and both are mods, I love yobokies and the other guy, great watches for peanuts with plenty of upgrades on the stock seiko.

I also have the padi turtle which I love soooo deeply and is perfect as is.
    Well ok I changed the bracelet.

0_0 ciao

Banned
    I would be happy if they keep it as is but worked on QC. Had 5 goes at an SKX007, all had at least 1 issue. Last couple I had I bought new from Amazon. 1st one had alignment issues so returned it for a replacement. 2nd one seemed perfect, then I noticed under the crystal had a lot of dust and I mean a lot, could even see a big wipe mark.

Had 2 Turtles. 1 had a a few issues including a crown that was nearly impossible to unscrew. The other was pretty much perfect. I've had a maybe 5 Monsters and found that the hands are much better aligned on those and the crown is better.

Here's the perfect Turtle.

Last edited by James_; 4th December 2018 at 23:21.

Resurrecting this thread slightly, rather than starting a new one. I don’t know who is wrong or right re differences between K and J versions. But, I’ve owned two K versions in the past and two weeks ago picked up my first J version. Soon as it arrived I set it to my time stamp app, and since then it has been running at exactly -4 secs per day, a much much better performance than my K versions. Also, there are no alignment issues whatsoever. By far the best SKX I’ve had - not sure if it’s a coincidence or whether the QC theory on J vs K is true, just putting it out there!

Craftsman
    That's two people calling BS on the "Made in Japan" aspect.

Got a reference/source for this "knowledge", please? Must be easily referenced if its been common knowledge for a decade?

Thanks, in advance!
    Do a search on the WUS forums you will find all you need and links to sources further afield. Also search up on Japanese export laws and American import laws it soon becomes clear why the dial markings are then different for identical watches shipped to different market destinations.

Craftsman
    Resurrecting this thread slightly, rather than starting a new one. I don’t know who is wrong or right re differences between K and J versions. But, I’ve owned two K versions in the past and two weeks ago picked up my first J version. Soon as it arrived I set it to my time stamp app, and since then it has been running at exactly -4 secs per day, a much much better performance than my K versions. Also, there are no alignment issues whatsoever. By far the best SKX I’ve had - not sure if it’s a coincidence or whether the QC theory on J vs K is true, just putting it out there!
    Yes, luck of the draw.

Personally i prefer the K versions due to the second language of the the date wheels. I do not like arabic or spanish on my date wheels.

Yes, luck of the draw.

Personally i prefer the K versions due to the second language of the the date wheels. I do not like arabic or spanish on my date wheels.
    Second language could be outer Mongolian for all I care, I only ever have it set to English.

Blog Entries
    It's not discontinued it's a myth

Sent via smoke signal using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Myth..........a female moth.

Journeyman
    Do a search on the WUS forums you will find all you need and links to sources further afield. Also search up on Japanese export laws and American import laws it soon becomes clear why the dial markings are then different for identical watches shipped to different market destinations.
    Thanks, Carl.One.

I had a look on WUS and found a bloke from Yorkshire also saying what you said.

Can you be more specific with your source of this knowledge, please? WUS is a big old resource.... and one that I am not really familiar with.

Also, I am curious as to why should I search American import laws, particularly, given I am in the UK (EU) and have purchased an item that I thought was made in Japan.

Apologies, but if you are stating something as fact; please point me in the right direction!

Craftsman
    Thanks, Carl.One.

I had a look on WUS and found a bloke from Yorkshire also saying what you said.

Can you be more specific with your source of this knowledge, please? WUS is a big old resource.... and one that I am not really familiar with.

Also, I am curious as to why should I search American import laws, particularly, given I am in the UK (EU) and have purchased an item that I thought was made in Japan.

Apologies, but if you are stating something as fact; please point me in the right direction!
    To find the specific links i read would mean me searching again!

Understanding the differing countries import laws explains a lot about why the watches have certain things on the watch face. Understanding Japanese law helps explain why they put things on. For some countries the term 'made in .........' Means certain rules apply such as it was actually made in that countries territorial borders. For others it does not mean the same thing.

I am too far into a whisky at this time to write more!

IMO the SKX is a near perfect tool. Ideal for the intended purpose. If you want more bells and whistles get a Turtle.

Last edited by bedlam; 16th December 2018 at 10:59.

I love my 007 and 009. Also have two 6309’s and a new Pepsi turtle and would really like a 7002 style skx, so with square markers. Vintage is a minefield so an skx with 7002 dial is all I ask Santa.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    I love my 007 and 009. Also have two 6309’s and a new Pepsi turtle and would really like a 7002 style skx, so with square markers. Vintage is a minefield so an skx with 7002 dial is all I ask Santa.

Sounds like it's the SKX173 you're after -

Or if you prefer applied indices there's the SKX399 and SKX401 (pepsi version) which look almost identical to the above but are harder to find.