closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The tale of my Seamaster.

Apprentice

The tale of my Seamaster.

Last month I bit the bullet & bought my grail watch, an Omega Seamaster 2531.80.00 from a jewellers in Maastricht. I saw the watch on Chrono 24 but purchased it direct from the jewellers. It dates from 2002 & apart from one tiny scratch on the bezel insert is in mint condition.
    I set the time via time.is and checked it approx 24 hours later & found that it had lost 75 seconds. I took it to Michlmayr in Norwich who have just informed me that it needs a complete stripdown & a new mainspring at a cost north of £500. After coming to terms with the position I found myself in, I asked the jewellers if they would pay 50%. They agreed immediately to this which, considering that normally they would insist that the watch is returned to them for repair & me having no idea who would be actually doing the work, ( they are not an Omega AD ) I thought that this was a fair outcome.
    I know i've spent more than I thought I would but looking at it philosophically, i'm going to end up with a mint watch that runs perfectly. Let's get one thing straight, I bloody adore this watch, expensive thougfh she is. ( Seamasters are a "she". Much prettier than any other dive watch in my humble biased opinion. )

Master
    Any reason you settled for 50%? I wouldn't have paid £250 because a jewellers sold me a faulty watch.

And no, it is a watch, an inanimate object, it is not a she :)

Blog Entries
    Reckon you did well getting the £250 out of them. And if it's a keeper then with the new parts and service should be good to go for a while.

Mine says hello...........'she's' lovely too...!

Blog Entries
    I would have returned the goods as faulty. It is not an uncommon watch.

Master
    £500 for a Seamaster service sounds a lot to me. There are other Omega accredited repairers that'll do it for nearly half that, Duncan at Genesis and Simon Freese spring to mind.

Master
    Yes that is over the top, perhaps the jewellers are adding a big drink for themselves. Even Omega themselves only charge £410 for a full service inc refinish and all movement parts, seals, crown etc.

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...mplete-service

Swiss Time Services would be nearer £365.
    Last edited by Padders; 19th November 2018 at 23:09.

One of my all time favourite watches. Enjoy.

They are still a relative bargain imho
    It's just a matter of time...

I don’t want to rain on your parade, but if it was me it would gave gone straight back to the seller.

Anyway, your watch and your choice - I hope it ends up being a keeper for you.

Simon

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    £500 for a Seamaster service sounds a lot to me. There are other Omega accredited repairers that'll do it for nearly half that, Duncan at Genesis and Simon Freese spring to mind.
    It is a lot!

Even if it needs a few parts it shouldn't cost anywhere near that figure. A mainspring and barrel is under £30, straightforward ETA 2892 replacement. The reverser can need swapping on older models but that's only around £14; if it's not right the watch won`t auto-wind efficiently but it's an easy fix.

It's still possible to source the case parts for these but like all Omega stuff it's getting harder for the independents and folks like myself. I serviced and refinished plenty of these before the parts restrictions started to bite, but I rarely get involved with them thesedays.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I would have returned the goods as faulty. It is not an uncommon watch.
    Were it mine, I would either do this or, if you are dead keen on retaining it, ask for discount/refund of the £250 offered and send it off to Swiss Time Services or Omega Service Centre for full service and refurb.

It will come back looking like new and should be good for about five years before needing another service.

Alternatively, I would speak nicely to Paul, walkerwek1958, and try to persuade him to do it. 

Craftsman
    Congrats on the grail acquisition, have to say though that if I was you I'd message them now and ask for the other £250. I'd explain reasonably that watch was (I assume) described as fully functional and that you did not expect to immediately have to service it. If they agree, you can commit to giving them a positive review on this forum - alternatively you could leave the thought dangling that you might do the opposite! It really all comes down to how strongly you feel about it I suppose, and also what the condition was originally described as.

Either way, wear in health and enjoy! I do love the wave pattern on the Seamaster, a true classic and a beautiful watch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app