closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Timefactors process and an introduction.

The Timefactors process and an introduction.

As I sit here waiting on the arrival of my first TF watch, the PRS29-AM, I started to wonder.. What is the process that brought this timepiece to fruition? How does Eddie do it? I've been lurking on this forum for a couple of months and I have come to realize this is probably the first watch brand I've seen where customer comments are actually taken into the design process. This in it's own right is damn amazing. So if anyone would care shed some light on the process; from initial idea, conceptualization, final design, manufacturing, quality control/inspection, to the ending sale, I'd appreciate it.

I also realize this is my first post, so let me make this a two in one. A little introduction: My name is William. I am from Little Rock, Arkansas but now live in Atlanta. By trade I work in pharmacy, specializing in infectious disease. Hobbies include sailing, fishing, whiskey, pipe tobacco, and escaping to the country side. I've always enjoyed mechanical things (petrol & steam recip engines, turbines, and the like) so naturally, watches became a hobby. However, this is only the second "major" watch I have purchased. The first being a Sinn 556A some years ago. The Smith's will be probably be my casual/dress watch while the Sinn will remain the daily beater. With that, hello to all.

-William

Tell us more about the infectious diseases
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Hi William and welcome.

A nice first post Frank... Have you ever lived in Philadelphia by the way? ....and a very nice entry into the world of Eddie Platts legendary watches which as you rightly say have more member input than any other brand out there.

Welcome to the best forum this side of the Volga...

Gadget

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    Have you ever lived in Philadelphia by the way?
    I am not, but his bombasity and political upheavals (i.e. the Rizzocrats) have always interested me.

Welcome to the forum William, an interesting first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
    I am not, but his bombasity and political upheavals (i.e. the Rizzocrats) have always interested me.
    I see his goods and chattels go under the hammer on Black Friday, how ironic..

Anyway here's hoping that you find the forum not quite so bombastic or political in its content and of course feel free to participate in the development of the future of Eddies creations.

Gadget

Welcome

The process seems pretty simple to me, and follows a pattern.

Eddie has a good idea
    He posts about it on this forum.
    Lots of people post comments about it.
    Some are fawning, some are silly, but many are sensible, and even though they are, most of them are completely contradictory.
    This amuses us all for an average of 12-15 pages of posts.
    Eddie ignores almost all of them, and uses only a couple to make slight tweaks to his original idea.
    He makes it
    We buy it
    We wait for Eddie's next idea

Repeat.

Every now and again we have one of a few other versions

Someone posts a good idea that is not Eddie's
    Eddie ignores it
    Nothing happens

But this is rare, the first scenario predominates.

Dave

ps - let us not fool ourselves that this is a democracy on TZ-UK, it is a relatively benign dictatorship, and all the better for it, being universally-acknowledged as the most efficient form of government
    Last edited by sweets; 18th November 2018 at 23:20. Reason: add ps

Apprentice
    Hi All. I’ve just joined as well. Have collected watches for many years and been mostly active on WUS forum having been a member there since 2006 (same user ID). I love Timefactors watches and previously owned the PRS-10, PRS-82, and PRS-29b. Honestly regret parting with them in past, but like the typical WIS, needed to raise funds for “the next”. Have my eye on the PRS-25, but may wait for the upcoming 36mm, particularly the new cream dial version. Do wonder though if it may be a bit small appearing on my 7.25” wrist. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Eddie has a good idea
    He posts about it on this forum.
    Lots of people post comments about it.
    Some are fawning, some are silly, but many are sensible, and even though they are, most of them are completely contradictory.
    This amuses us all for an average of 12-15 pages of posts.
    Eddie ignores almost all of them, and uses only a couple to make slight tweaks to his original idea.
    He makes it
    We buy it
    We wait for Eddie's next idea
    So to the part in red, who does the making? Is it one company that does the whole build? Is it the same company for each build? Outside of the movement which is labeled in the description on the Timefactors website (Ronda, ETA, or Miyota), are the other components (dial, hands, case) assembled from various suppliers or is it all done by one shop? I only ask because this is such a unique situation compared to most other watch companies and this kind of stuff always piques my interest. If I'm asking too much, or digging too deep, I apologize.

I am not sure it is so unique, it is just that Eddie has done this longer than anyone else in what might be called the "micro-brand" watch market.
    I have been part of a few projects where there is a consensus design arrived at, and then made. The Tactico Anko for instance, but there are many more.
    And in many of these instances the maker is a third party (not the design holder or the target audience, who have participated in the design).
    It is no secret that Eddie has used Fricker for case design and manufacture before, Zeno for manufacture (in fact they are still selling some of Eddie's designs as re-badged Zenos) and Roland Kemmner (who has recently retired).
    All these are in the past, and I shall leave it Eddie to reveal (or not) where this is all done now. I do not know, myself.
    But very gew of the micro-brands are watch makers themselves, that is contracted out elsewhere, which is a perfectly normal thing.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    ..............where this is all done now. I do not know, myself.
    Eddie made reference to using a manufacturer in Hong Kong in one of his posts I recall. Reputed to be of good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Eddie made reference to using a manufacturer in Hong Kong in one of his posts I recall. Reputed to be of good quality.
    I'll let others comment on the quality, the Hong Kong manufacturer is responsible for the latest versions of the PRS-29A and the PRS-25. I met him back in April when we enjoyed a burger in TGI Fridays in Sheffield one Saturday as he was on his way to Old Trafford to watch his favourite team. He brought a few samples with him and I was very impressed with the quality of what he had to show me.

He's young (32), ambitious and cares passionately about delivering quality. He employs 15 watchmakers and currently produces watches for more than 20 microbrands. Communication is excellent and from project start to delivery is the fastest I've ever known. I could have gone cheaper but I don't think I could have gone better without spending a lot more.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Welcome
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I'll let others comment on the quality, the Hong Kong manufacturer is responsible for the latest versions of the PRS-29A and the PRS-25. I met him back in April when we enjoyed a burger in TGI Fridays in Sheffield one Saturday as he was on his way to Old Trafford to watch his favourite team. He brought a few samples with him and I was very impressed with the quality of what he had to show me.

He's young (32), ambitious and cares passionately about delivering quality. He employs 15 watchmakers and currently produces watches for more than 20 microbrands. Communication is excellent and from project start to delivery is the fastest I've ever known. I could have gone cheaper but I don't think I could have gone better without spending a lot more.

Eddie
    Well the 29a is very good quality in my view.

Eddie
    Just out of interest, Eddie, does he produce all the components other than the movement and crystal or is he building the components you source from different manufactures?

I have to say I thought the AM was going to be next year when it started to get the green light – the turn around time seemed amazing!
    Last edited by OliverCD; 19th November 2018 at 17:49.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Just out of interest, Eddie, does he produce all the components other than the movement and crystal or is he building the components you source from different manufactures?

I have to day I thought the AM was going to be next year when it started to get the green light – the turn around time seemed amazing!
    He does everything, I just supply the design and specification. I have to make sure there's no ambiguity though, the spec has to be very detailed.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

He does everything, I just supply the design and specification. I have to make sure there's no ambiguity though, the spec has to be very detailed.

Eddie
    With the brief look I've had at my AM and the turn around on the project, it seems like it is a good combination and way of working. Long my it continue!

Looking forward to seeing the 36mm Everest from the partnership.

Master
    I think the pleasant surprise with the hands on the air ministry confirm you've made a good choice about supplier Eddie.

...from project start to delivery is the fastest I've ever known.
    Does that mean a new PRS-10 by Christmas?

Welcome!