closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dual SIM phone

Dual SIM phone

Can anyone help me with dual SIM phones in real life use please ?

I struggle with poor reception so want to use one number with 2 carriers.

I am thinking I could “divert when unavailable” to the second SIM so increasing my chance of receiving a call. Is this how it would work in practice ?

Could I also automatically dial out on “both” SIMs ie if I don’t get signal it tries the 2nd SIM automatically?

Any users would help - I can see dual SIM active and standby versions - I don’t need to run 2 numbers but get full coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I know someone that has one. On his, you can receive calls on either number but when you dial out or use data, you chose which one you use. You can’t have one number on both sims. You can do as you suggest and have your main number on contract that diverts to a PAYG sim on the network you feel works in areas where the main one doesn’t.

Where are you getting poor reception - is it a fixed location? In my house as well as my sisters, reception is patchy but on an iPhone you can set up WiFi calling as long as you can connect to the WiFi - it’s seamless and does it automatically once you have set it up in the settings. Last month we were staying in a remote cottage in the Peak District. No phone signal whatsoever but the cottage had WiFi so making and receiving calls and texts were perfect once we were logged on to the WiFi. You only need to set it up once and it will work automatically wherever the phone is on a WiFi network and the phone signal is poor or non-existant.
    Last edited by Motman; 18th November 2018 at 18:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Can anyone help me with dual SIM phones in real life use please ?

I struggle with poor reception so want to use one number with 2 carriers.

I am thinking I could “divert when unavailable” to the second SIM so increasing my chance of receiving a call. Is this how it would work in practice ?

Could I also automatically dial out on “both” SIMs ie if I don’t get signal it tries the 2nd SIM automatically?

Any users would help - I can see dual SIM active and standby versions - I don’t need to run 2 numbers but get full coverage.
    No, this isn't how dual SIM phones work & you cannot have two SIM cards with the same number. You can have two cards from two carriers but they will have different numbers.

There is one way you could do this, and it doesn’t involve dual SIM phones.

If you take out a contract in another country, when you come to the UK your phone will roam between the different UK networks. You will automatically get the strongest signal. If the contract is in an EU country, the call costs generally will be the same as the UK.

That said, really it is a completely impractical solution for most people. You won’t get a great deal, there will be limits on the amount of data you can use and you’ll probably have trouble setting up. Only worth it if you have a base elsewhere really.

As an update I bought a Samsung S10 and am running it as dual SIM.

I have O2 SIM as my main SIM and after trying EE have Vodafone PAYG as the 2nd SIM.

Phone diverts when unavailable to the 2nd SIM. I can call out on both SIMs by my choice. Regular contacts have both numbers so know who is calling them. It all works pretty well in practice and I top up the VF SIM each month with 10.00.

I often flip onto the VF SIM if am having difficulties with data coverage on O2 in London.

On holiday it was brilliant as was able to divert everything to the VF SiM which unlike O2 didn't charge for roaming and as I did this in UK all my calls were seen as a UK divert and so in my included minutes. Only thing didn't get was text messages to O2 of course while I was away as SIM was not in the phone.