closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another day, another Rolex AD. Rant alert.

Journeyman
    I was at a high street AD yesterday trying the JLC polaris and as soon as I start to mention rolex the sales stopped smiling and lost all his energy.

Master
    Anyone familiar with Sales Corner knows why there is such an obsessive demand for some Rolex models. Buy a sports Rolex, if you then fancy a change, no problem; a swift sale and no financial loss. But buy an equally fine watch from good brands such as IWC, Omega, Zenith and so on. Resale will usually be far harder and you'l take a bath, even if you bought with a discount.
    It makes little sense, but that's the market. And that's why us punters pester the ADs for a Rolex. It's the brand people want.

Journeyman
    uploading pictures

In reply to OP. It doesn't matter what you wear to a Rolex AD; even if you have a Patek 5712 on your wrist, you won't even get a whiff of the new Rolexes as there are simply thousands of other people waiting ahead of you in each AD.

My dad got offered the Pepsi GMT recently at an AD here in Hong Kong after purchasing some jewellery - Yes, offered. He didn't even enquire. My parents have been customers with this particular AD here in Hong Kong for over 30 years. Not just watches, but other jewellery items too.
    This is something I don't think Rolex can really control as the ADs are selecting customers.

Sorry, if I sound like a snob or a bit of a d***, but I'm just trying to shed some light here - There are literally millions of customers who are just like my parents, who have used the same dealers for decades and often, they will be given preferential treatment.
    Unfortunately, these days, building a relationship with an AD over years/decades, is a must, in order to just fricking get Rolex. It's absurd.

In regards to the picture - the Explorer is mine, and in my opinion, the best Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    I think people are perhaps missing the point of the original message.They have accepted how difficult it is to get such a watch.His "problem" is the behaviour of the rolex AD staff and the way they have treated him.I have also had these people "snigger" at me.Politeness costs nothing.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I don’t disagree but they are probably bored having the same conversation day in day out.

When I enquired about the new GMT I ended up having a great conversation with the guy and girl in the shop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tcy148 View Post
    uploading pictures

In reply to OP. It doesn't matter what you wear to a Rolex AD; even if you have a Patek 5712 on your wrist, you won't even get a whiff of the new Rolexes as there are simply thousands of other people waiting ahead of you in each AD.

My dad got offered the Pepsi GMT recently at an AD here in Hong Kong after purchasing some jewellery - Yes, offered. He didn't even enquire. My parents have been customers with this particular AD here in Hong Kong for over 30 years. Not just watches, but other jewellery items too.
    This is something I don't think Rolex can really control as the ADs are selecting customers.

Sorry, if I sound like a snob or a bit of a d***, but I'm just trying to shed some light here - There are literally millions of customers who are just like my parents, who have used the same dealers for decades and often, they will be given preferential treatment.
    Unfortunately, these days, building a relationship with an AD over years/decades, is a must, in order to just fricking get Rolex. It's absurd.

In regards to the picture - the Explorer is mine, and in my opinion, the best Rolex.

Hi

To be honest it is good that ADs favour loyal customers who have stuck with them for years. By cutting back on demand, they are looking after the residuals which benefits your parents.

Incidently I am currently wearing the same GMT as in your pic, a 16710 with a Jubilee bracelet and the next watch to wear is the Explorer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Scenario 1,

Omega need your business, Rolex don’t.
    So why would a Rolex AD bother with "preferred" clients and developing relationships, if they are offering a scarce product that will sell regardless? Money is money at the end of the day, and whether one person buys ten watches or ten people buy one doesn't make a difference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    So why would a Rolex AD bother with "preferred" clients and developing relationships, if they are offering a scarce product that will sell regardless? Money is money at the end of the day, and whether one person buys ten watches or ten people buy one doesn't make a difference.
    Any sensible business looks after customers who have stayed loyal to them over the years. You never know what the state of the market will be a few years down the line. If someone stuck with you when they could have dealt with a grey dealer or similar, then they deserve the same consideration when the market is tight.

This segment of the world where the one who sells behaves like a patron and the one who buys is (potentially) treated like a serf is an interesting one.

The comments about grooming the relationship with the AD and 'having' to buy less expensive (still very expensive) models to have access to the really good ones... absolutely hilarious, even more so because they're factually correct.

Vanity fair, with Instagram on top, that's what it is.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Maybe because it keeps the high spenders loyal to that store. High spenders also tend to buy items that are slow movers.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Hi

To be honest it is good that ADs favour loyal customers who have stuck with them for years. By cutting back on demand, they are looking after the residuals which benefits your parents.

Incidently I am currently wearing the same GMT as in your pic, a 16710 with a Jubilee bracelet and the next watch to wear is the Explorer.
    Yes, absolutely. Additionally, ADs prefer selling to long term customers to ensure they're not simply flipped the next minute.

This is the 126710BLRO. It is a lovely piece, but it's not really my cup of tea - too flashy. The Explorer has always been my favourite Rolex, the purist and most down to earth of the sports lines. It's the reason why I also got myself a Smiths Everest.

Master
    Then read something else and stop trolling.